Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,743 members, 7,824,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

15 Things Only People With Unique Nigerian Names Will Understand - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 15 Things Only People With Unique Nigerian Names Will Understand (1708 Views)

10 Things Only Men With Pregnant Wives Understand (Pictures) / Only Introverts Will Understand These / 5 Things Only Those Born With A Wooden Spoon Understand! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

15 Things Only People With Unique Nigerian Names Will Understand by dimexy247(m): 6:21pm On Jun 15, 2016
If your parents decided to go for a more unique traditional name for you, instead of a common English name like John/ Mary or a well known Yoruba name like Tolu/Tobi, then you’ll understand the struggle.

1. When the most common response you get after saying your name is “ehn?”

Na wa O

2. When someone starts squeezing their face while trying to pronounce it.

It’s not that serious, please.

3. When someone asks you if you have an English name instead.

Better learn this one.

4. When you were the first of your friends to get a nickname, because no one had energy.

Did I tell you I want a nickname?

5. When everyone keeps asking you what it means.

Leave me, abeg.

6. When someone gets it on the first try.

OMG! Marry me.

7. When someone asks you if it’s really your name.

Is this one well?

8. When you just knew it would never be on any coke bottle.

Oh? You have Akpors but you don’t have my name?

9. When you have to raise your hand before they get to announcing your name to save them the stress.

Before you bite your tongue.

10. When even your phone’s autocorrect thinks it’s wrong.

Really? REALLY??

11. When you have to constantly correct it on official documents.

Is this my life?

12. When even your friends spell it wrong.

The betrayal.

13. When you just start answering to all the different pronunciations people have for it.

Just say it however you like.

14. When someone asks you why your parents gave it to you.

Why are you asking me?

15. When even you start to wonder why your parents gave it to you.

Did English name finish?

I drop my Stylus Pen here.

8 Likes

Re: 15 Things Only People With Unique Nigerian Names Will Understand by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jun 15, 2016
I get questioned almost every time about the meaning of my Igbo name, so to be on a safer side, I say my English name.
Re: 15 Things Only People With Unique Nigerian Names Will Understand by dimexy247(m): 6:26pm On Jun 15, 2016
Vickyydera:
I get questioned almost every time about the meaning of my Igbo name, so to be on a safer side, I say my English name.

At least you have an English name, :-D lucky you
Re: 15 Things Only People With Unique Nigerian Names Will Understand by Boltam(f): 7:10pm On Jun 15, 2016
i can relate to that no 5...had to change my name by force
Re: 15 Things Only People With Unique Nigerian Names Will Understand by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jun 15, 2016
I have a name like that; My Surname. When I need someone to fill a form and they ask me to repeat it, I just opt to spell it to save us all the stress.
Re: 15 Things Only People With Unique Nigerian Names Will Understand by TeGaTeGa1(m): 2:23am On Jun 16, 2016
Lwkmd
Re: 15 Things Only People With Unique Nigerian Names Will Understand by Amicable24: 10:40pm On Jun 16, 2016
Whatever, me wey no come get English name nkor?? I can relate to all d op posted, I knw what it feels like not to have an English name; well, I thank God my name no too local at least ppl dey pronounce am well grin grin grin
Re: 15 Things Only People With Unique Nigerian Names Will Understand by seankay(m): 11:47pm On Jun 17, 2016
OP you nailed it! I still don't know what to do with Late Grandpa that decided to change his surname to a name that is cumbersome to pronounce. I have to pronounce atleast 4 times and explain my surname before people understands what it means sad

1 Like

Re: 15 Things Only People With Unique Nigerian Names Will Understand by speak2femz: 6:15am On Jun 18, 2016
I can totally relate with em! some even ask why I don't have an English name.. .....

(1) (Reply)

Relationship Between Alcoholic Beer And Solar Electricity / Global Decline In Values: You Needn't Key In / I Want To Make My Marriage Work — Battered Wife Of Channels TV Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.