Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,018 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

My Interesting NYSC Experience - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / My Interesting NYSC Experience (5664 Views)

My One Year Nysc Experience In Osun State / My NYSC Experience At Taraba Camp, Batch A, Stream 2, 2016. / My NYSC Experience In Kano State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Interesting NYSC Experience by martin92(m): 10:06pm On Jun 15, 2016
I checked my call up letter the second time just to be sure that it was not a mistake, I was posted to Yobe state (land of Boko Haram)! Though, I had always wanted to visit the northern part of the country but I didn’t envisage that it was going to be in the war zone of the country. I became a little relaxed when I discovered that I will not even set my foot in Yobe state for I was going to be camping in Bauchi state. Alas!

My parents were not happy about it and they tried to see if there was a way that I will be exempted from the NYSC programme but there was no way I will allow that to happen because of that adventurous spirit in me.
The day finally reached, I was finally going to visit the northern part of the country for the first time in my life. I could not find a direct bus going from Owerri to Bauchi state so I went to ABC Park in Owerri and boarded a sprinter bus heading to Jos. We left Owerri by 12p.m. When we reached Kaduna, we decided to stop over to get something to eat. I had a strange experience with the food being served. They were only selling Yam and roasted plantain served with either stew or just dried pepper. I settled for plantain with stew. I had barely tasted the plantain with stew when I almost threw up for the taste of the stew was strange to me. I threw my food away and bought plantain with dried pepper instead- very strange indeed.

The first thing that I experienced on reaching Jos by 12a.m in the morning was the cold, I have never experienced such a cold before in my life, it was 7 degree Celsius. I was practically shaking and to make matters worse, I was putting on a short sleeve. My uncle came and picked me up in the dead of the night and I spent my first night in Jos covered in goose pimples. My once effective sweater was rendered useless, I knew that I had to get myself a thicker sweater, thick socks, a head warmer and a hand gloves if I was to survive in my new environment. The cold was so much that you don’t even need to put your water or soup in the freezer as it gets cold on its own. lol.

It was now time to leave Jos for Bauchi where I was to camp. We passed so many security check-points on our way to Bauchi and it took us two hours to finally reach the camp.
Before entering the camp, all the corpers were thoroughly searched to avoid stories that touches the heart. We then queued up for our registration and by 7pm I was done with the registration, got my meal ticket and queued up for my first taste of camp food.
I was woken up by 4.30am by the sound of the biggle(trumpet) and I was quickly brought to the harsh and exciting reality that I was now undergoing a military training . I quickly came down from my bunk bed, brushed my teeth and washed my face- taking a bath was completely out of the question, no thanks to the biting cold. Double up Otondo! If you are walking, you are wrong ! , those were some of the slogans used by the soldiers to hurry us to the parade ground. Latecomers were subjected to the frog-jump treatment.

source: http://martinezefra..com.ng/2016/06/my-interesting-nysc-experience-part-1.html

1 Like

Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by martin92(m): 10:08pm On Jun 15, 2016
more updates to follow.
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jun 15, 2016
i am following so you better not fall my hand, and you didn't say the school you graduated from and dept.

2 Likes

Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by Sese2(f): 10:01am On Jun 16, 2016
More update,am enjoying it

2 Likes

Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by martin92(m): 2:22pm On Jun 16, 2016
We were all dressed in white shirt, short and canvas. We all stayed in our respective platoons and after the morning address and reciting the anthems and prayers we started jogging and doing some excruciating exercises. Next was the parade training- the medical corpers and those in the OBS crew were exempted from the parade activities ,we marched up and down the field in the military fashion till the trumpet for breakfast saved us.

We all rushed to our respective hostels, took our plates and meal ticket and stood on a queue to the camp kitchen. The tea that was being served was watery but I added some beverages to make up for it. The big boys and girls on camp resorted to the Mami market to eat. After having my breakfast, I took my bath and I had scarcely rested my head on my bed when the trumpet for ‘boring lectures’ and SAED (Skill Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development) was sounded.

We struggled for chairs in the hall in preparation for the ‘boring lecturers’. The lectures started by 10.00am and as the speakers talked endlessly, most of the corpers where enjoying the sleep that was deprived of them the previous night. Next was the SAED programme which comprises of ICT, Tailoring, baking of cakes, making of beads,soaps, etc. Each corper was expected to fall under one of the groups. I went for ICT, but I didn’t learn anything new there because the lecturer was taking me very backwards because of some people who have not even operated a computer in their lives before.

The lectures ended by 2pm and I went to the kitchen with the rest of the corpers for their lunch of eba and watery egusi soup. After having lunch, I put on my white short and shirt and tried to catch a fast sleep but it seemed that I had only slept for a minute when the trumpet for afternoon parade was sounded again by 4pm. I quickly doubled up to the parade ground. I didn’t know between the biting cold and the scorching sun which was worst. We were made to stand under the sun for what seemed like hours to me practicing our salutation to the governor of the state with orders like “Remove hair dressing”, “Replace hair dressing”, next they formed us into units and we practiced the quick march and the slow march procession. We ended by 6pm and went to our hostels worn out from the activities.

The trumpet for dinner sounded by 7pm and we all followed the same routine as before. When we all thought that it was over for the day, the trumpet sounded yet again by 8pm and we were all told to go to the hall for the dance and drama presentation by each platoon. It was really fun as each platoon tried to outdo the other platoon in the cultural dances and comedy drama exhibited. The exhibition ended by 10pm and we all retired to our respective hostels. Corpers that failed to come out of their hostels for the drama and dance were punished the next day, they were made to sit on the bare floor for 6 hours. That’s the worst the soldiers could do to us as they were bound by law not to flog us or physically assault us.

source : www.martinezefra..com
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by martin92(m): 2:30pm On Jun 16, 2016
Sese2:
More update,am enjoying it

thanks, more to follow
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by Holywizard: 4:08pm On Jun 16, 2016
martin92:

thanks, more to follow
continue
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by Abacharles(m): 5:20pm On Jun 16, 2016
following

1 Like

Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by martin92(m): 8:44pm On Jun 16, 2016
radiokilla:
i am following so you better not fall my hand, and you didn't say the school you graduated from and dept.

I graduated from uniport
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by Sese2(f): 11:46pm On Jun 16, 2016
Still with you,continue

1 Like

Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by bosschinalu(m): 1:44am On Jun 17, 2016
I DON COLLECT LENSES TO READ TORI.... NO DULL ME COZ MA BATCH B TORI SEF DEY COME

1 Like

Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by Elsuperior(m): 10:14am On Jun 17, 2016
interesting...can't wait to serve fatherland

1 Like

Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by martin92(m): 6:55pm On Jun 17, 2016
In my hostel room, we were 16 in number - 4 1gbos, 2 Fulanis, 6 Yorubas and 4 Hausas. We were all united and at peace with each other. We gisted and discovered new things about each other’s culture and religion.

One thing I really hated in camp was the way Yoruba people like to show their language off. It seemed like the Yorubas had the largest population in camp because any small gathering that you see, you will be met with people discussing in Yoruba. A Yoruba person will walk up to you and assume that you are also from the Yoruba tribe and start speaking Yoruba to you and you will be looking at the person as if you want to commit murder. It was so bad that whenever my platoon leader addresses us in English, she unconsciously drifts to Yoruba and I and some other people will get angry and tell her to revert to English.

I looked forward to the sporting activities in camp. I participated fully in the sporting activities in camp .In football, we trained in the evening every day to select the best players for each position available. I was selected to play as a defender in the right back position for my platoon. I didn’t know why NYSC did not allow volleyball for guys too. I was very good at volleyball and with my experience, I assisted in coaching the amateur ladies in my platoon on the rules of the game and other important details like serving, laying the ball up for your opponent, rotation, teamwork and so on.

It was time for the football competition to start, we were to play platoon 1. Platoon 2 vs Platoon 1. The match started by 5pm. I was eagerly waiting for this moment to come. We followed our coach tactics by mostly punting the ball high up the field hopeful that it will land favourably for our tall attacker to utilize, this tactics almost resulted in a goal for our platoon but it was only the crossbar that saved our opponent from conceding a goal. In the dying minutes of the first half, we got a corner kick which was only half cleared by the opponent, the ball fell kindly to me and as I made to feint a defender, I was tackled dangerously from behind and we were awarded a free kick. From the resulting free kick, we got our first goal as the opponent’s goalkeeper was left completely rooted to the spot. The second half started with platoon 1 having the upper hand in possession as they tried to seek a way back to the match but our defence held our ground. Something strange happened ten minutes to the end of the match. It is the rule in camp that once it is 6pm, the trumpet will be sounded for Nigeria to go to sleep and everybody is expected to be at a standstill no matter what you were doing. A platoon 1 attacker dribbled past our defence and just as he was about to go one-on-one with our goal keeper, the trumpet sounded and the goal keeper stood at a standstill and the attacker rounded the immobile goalkeeper and tucked the ball in the open goal. The goal was hotly debated by the coaches of the two teams and the referee and at the end it was disqualified much to the dismay of the platoon 1 players. Two minutes to the end of the match, a midfielder from platoon 1 gave a long hopeful pass to his attacker who was clearly much offside, there was no linesman to spot it and the referee could not see it from his position as the attacker raced free towards goal and placed the ball perfectly at the bottom corner, 1- 1!. Straight to penalties. We lost the penalty shootout to platoon 1 and exited prematurely from the tournament.

source : www.martinezefra..com
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by martin92(m): 6:26am On Jun 18, 2016
lalasticlala come read oh
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by Dream2(m): 8:32am On Jun 18, 2016
Thank you for doing this,it's an enlightment on it's own.
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by martin92(m): 9:49am On Jun 18, 2016
Dream2:
Thank you for doing this,it's an enlightment on it's own.

You are welcome

1 Like

Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by AndyAustin(m): 10:00pm On Jun 18, 2016
martin92:

I graduated from uniport
unique uniport!!
also graduated from uniport last year buh would be going for service later in this year :batch b '16. Rcs dept...though

1 Like

Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by martin92(m): 6:21am On Jun 19, 2016
AndyAustin:

unique uniport!!
also graduated from uniport last year buh would be going for service later in this year :batch b '16. Rcs dept...though

congrats. hope you can pick up a thing or two from my experience
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by martin92(m): 2:19pm On Jun 22, 2016
Having lost hope in getting a cup in the football competition, I focused my mind and energy towards ensuring that we got something in the volleyball competition. I trained my platoon girls everyday and it was only a matter of time before they were transformed from amateurs to semiprofessionals. The tournament started and we won our first match. We were defeated by the tournament favourites in the next game but we were able to qualify to the next round of the competition as the best losers. We scaled through the quarterfinal and semifinal and were drawn to play the tournament’s favourite who had earlier defeated us in the final. I went on a spy mission to observe how our opponent in the finals play and I observed that they heavily rely on their key player to always return a service. They do not play as a team as their other players were not good. I was happy when I made this discovery and I instructed my girls to try as possible to make sure that they don’t serve the ball to the opponent’s key player. My strategy and tactics eventually paid off in the final as we defeated them after going three solid rounds with them. We were officially the champions! We went to the mami market, bought drinks and suya and celebrated the victory.

While in camp, we were all given an automatic redeployment form to choose any state that we so desired to serve in except Lagos, Abuja, Akwa-ibom and Ogun state., well that was one of the advantages of being posted to a war zone. I chose Port Harcourt. Some people redeployed on medical grounds and they were asked to defend their illness before a medical panel. Those of them that lied about their health were punished for it and given a punishment in the form of serving in Yobe state. The married ladies redeployed on marital grounds and were allowed to redeploy to their husband state. Married men were not allowed to redeploy on marital grounds, a woman is supposed to go and live with a man and not the other way round.

Finally, it was the day of the POP (Passing out Parade). We all waited for this day with mixed feelings because that is the last time we were going to see each other. We didn’t want to leave camp again because we realized that camp was much fun but then we have to move on with our lives. As early as 5.00am, we all returned our foams and got ready to leave camp. We dressed in our complete NYSC attire, brought out our bags from the hostel and eagerly waited for the arrival of the state governor to kick start the POP ceremony. The governor represented by the commissioner of youth & sports came by 10am and we displayed all we rehearsed in camp for him as we marched round the field in the hot afternoon sun. The POP ceremony was declared over and we all jubilated as we went to go and check out the redeployment list that was recently posted. There were mostly shouts of joy as 99% of us were posted to the states that we chose. I got redeployed to Port Harcourt. Some transport companies were already in camp waiting for us. I joined the queue and entered a luxury bus going to the southeast. Our bus left camp by 6pm and by 1pm the next day, I was in Owerri, safe and sound.

********THE END********
source: www.martinezefra..com

1 Like

Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jun 23, 2016
martin92:

While in camp, we were all given an automatic redeployment form to choose any state that we so desired to serve in except Lagos, Abuja, Akwa-ibom and Ogun state., well that was one of the advantages of being posted to a war zone. I chose Port Harcourt. Some people redeployed on medical grounds and they were asked to defend their illness before a medical panel.
********THE END********
source: www.martinezefra..com
what excuse did you give for redeployment? i will also like to see pictures
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by martin92(m): 6:02pm On Jun 23, 2016
radiokilla:
what excuse did you give for redeployment? i will also like to see pictures

security reasons.
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jun 23, 2016
ok, i will select Yobe as first choice then
martin92:

security reasons.
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by martin92(m): 10:34am On Jun 24, 2016
radiokilla:
ok, i will select Yobe as first choice then

lol. I am glad that you saw the sense in doing that
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by Dottune(m): 10:19pm On Jun 24, 2016
Wow! Lovely. I enjoyed every bit of your writeup

1 Like

Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by martin92(m): 7:23am On Jun 25, 2016
Dottune:
Wow! Lovely. I enjoyed every bit of your writeup

Thanks man
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by living101(m): 8:38pm On Jun 25, 2016
@Matins, you are such a freelance, wonderful writer and good compositor. You already arousing my patient for camp life. Your experience(s) will no doubt be part of many bedrock in the camp. My neck-longing for batch B 2016 already. You are doing a great one dear. Wishing all the best in the land of Port.

1 Like

Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by martin92(m): 7:39pm On Jun 26, 2016
living101:
@Matins, you are such a freelance, wonderful writer and good compositor. You already arousing my patient for camp life. Your experience(s) will no doubt be part of many bedrock in the camp. My neck-longing for batch B 2016 already. You are doing a great one dear. Wishing all the best in the land of Port.

Thanks man
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by martin92(m): 8:57pm On Jul 13, 2016
hope you guys gained from my experience
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by Darey00(m): 8:07am On Jul 14, 2016
Spot on about the Yoruba part!! We had these Yoruba guys at the extreme cubicle that can't seem to speak English to save their lives. Every time na Yoruba like say na by force. Makes u wonder how they wanna communicate to students in their respective PPAs. It was so bad that even pidgin self dem no fit speak am. And they are very loud.I suspect they are mostly Chelsea fans cos their noise no b here. most ppl on camp didn't even realize I am Yoruba until they see my ID card cos I always speak either English or pidgin
.I Rep Katsina stream 2
Re: My Interesting NYSC Experience by martin92(m): 10:57pm On Jul 26, 2016
Darey00:
Spot on about the Yoruba part!! We had these Yoruba guys at the extreme cubicle that can't seem to speak English to save their lives. Every time na Yoruba like say na by force. Makes u wonder how they wanna communicate to students in their respective PPAs. It was so bad that even pidgin self dem no fit speak am. And they are very loud.I suspect they are mostly Chelsea fans cos their noise no b here. most ppl on camp didn't even realize I am Yoruba until they see my ID card cos I always speak either English or pidgin
.I Rep Katsina stream 2

lol

(1) (Reply)

NYSC: Bring Back The Remaining States For God's Sake. / Corper Liason Officer(clo) Recognition Certificate: Any Advantage After NYSC? / A Thread For Corpers Posted To F C T.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.