Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android (10922 Views)

Battling Fake News: Whatsapp Starts New Feature To Let Users Identify Forwarded / Whatsapp New Feature To Allow You Demote Group Admins / Samsung Brings Back Flip Phones Running Android OS: Meet Samsung Galaxy Folder 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by TechsNG: 6:27am On Jun 16, 2016
This isn’t the first time Facebook is introducing SMS feature to its messenger app for Android users. It was initially in existence until around 2012 when it was removed by Facebook.

Now, Facebook is bringing back the SMS feature for Android users on the messenger platform.

Basically, what the SMS feature does is, users can choose the messenger app as their preferred SMS app. I.e, users will be able to send and receive standard texts, images, videos and audio. Including rich contents such as stickers and emojis. Other form of content like GIFs, video and calls etc would have to be communicated using the messenger instead.

Facebook assures you that your privacy is safe as it doesn’t send, upload or store any of your conversations on its servers as all messages are sent and received via standard SMS protocol and not cellular data.

If you’d like to use the messenger app as your default SMS app on Android, simply make sure you are running the latest version of messenger. Thereafter, launch the app and tap on settings > select SMS and turn it on as the default SMS app.

Source: http://www.techsng.com/2016/06/facebook-re-introduces-sms-feature-messenger-android.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by lifezone247(m): 6:56am On Jun 16, 2016
Facebook trying to stay relevant by all means.

3 Likes

Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by sureinfo: 7:04am On Jun 16, 2016
What benefit will that give us

1 Like

Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by Akosxxx(m): 7:16am On Jun 16, 2016
I'm not impressed jor. Since service providers will still charge me for 4naira forsending SMS after burning my data.

3 Likes

Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by Nobody: 7:17am On Jun 16, 2016
[quote author=chewe4cert post=46616282][/quote]

undecided This mtn scam guy u no dey tire Do people really fall for your lame tricks You will be nabbed by the authorities soon. Oloriburuku angry

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by monaPhilz: 7:18am On Jun 16, 2016
Nice one
Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by Abayor7: 7:20am On Jun 16, 2016
I have nothing to say, so I'm just here to book space tongue
Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by RitzyPrince(m): 7:21am On Jun 16, 2016
Android?? Never. Team iPhone tongue
Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by Macwytt(m): 7:24am On Jun 16, 2016
Cool Bt Not Interested. We The 5% Need OUR OIL BACK grin

President 5%

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by JOAN11(f): 7:24am On Jun 16, 2016
but will the sms be charged from our data balance or from account bal?

1 Like

Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by Abayor7: 7:25am On Jun 16, 2016
RitzyPrince:
Android?? Never. Team iPhone tongue
my brother dash me abi wink
Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by bluewles33: 7:27am On Jun 16, 2016
Noted
Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by Kesmakveli(m): 7:27am On Jun 16, 2016
Another Good creativity .. Unique indeed! This is what we call Strategic Business decision. grin
Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by sniperwolf(m): 7:29am On Jun 16, 2016
They are trying to force users to appreciate their Messenger app

1 Like

Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by engrjosefz(m): 7:30am On Jun 16, 2016
in other news, u just made FP once again!
Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by Kesmakveli(m): 7:31am On Jun 16, 2016
[quote author=uselessgoat post=46616308]

undecided This mtn scam guy u no dey tire Do people really fall for your lame tricks You will be nabbed by the authorities soon. Oloriburuku angry[/quote
Don't mind that scammer, at times I wonder if people aren't ashamed of stale tricks everytime ..

2 Likes

Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by dadafe(f): 7:32am On Jun 16, 2016
mark no go rest grin grin grin
Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by Kesmakveli(m): 7:32am On Jun 16, 2016
uselessgoat:

undecided This mtn scam guy u no dey tire Do people really fall for your lame tricks You will be nabbed by the authorities soon. Oloriburuku angry
Don't mind that scammer, at times I wonder if people aren't ashamed of stale tricks everytime ...

1 Like

Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by Nobody: 7:33am On Jun 16, 2016
[quote author=Kesmakveli post=46616698][/quote]

He keeps spamming the forum and i wonder if anyone would be gullible enough to fall for the senseless scam

2 Likes

Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by engrjacuzzi: 7:33am On Jun 16, 2016
Facebook trying to be a universal social network. hope I will be able to send SMS to planet Pluto.
Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by Kesmakveli(m): 7:35am On Jun 16, 2016
dadafe:
mark no go rest grin grin grin
My dear he doesn't have to rest to stay relevant & create more jobs o!!!
Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by Abudu2000(m): 7:35am On Jun 16, 2016
lifezone247:
Facebook trying to stay relevant by all means.
facebook will remain relevant for a very long time, the big boiz use Facebook,okay
Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by seyema(m): 7:36am On Jun 16, 2016
You mean some people are still on Facebook?
Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by henrydadon(m): 7:38am On Jun 16, 2016
uselessgoat:

Are u blaming him or the mods that have refuse to hand him a lifetime ban..

In fact am suspecting these our mods..because he always at front page

5 Likes

Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by Araoluwa005(m): 7:38am On Jun 16, 2016
[quote author=chewe4cert post=46616282][/quote]pls stop posting this nonsense
Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by AnodaIT(m): 7:39am On Jun 16, 2016
Me and Facebook apps? No

The way they steal information and drain battery is alarming, I will continue to use only the Web version until that day they will forced everyone to the app. With Web, at least I'm assured that when I close the browser, their activities stops

Are you concern about privacy or whether they will display your number? Don't be, Click here to see how to set it up seamlessly

2 Likes

Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by bigass123(m): 7:40am On Jun 16, 2016
Who facebook Don epp? undecided
Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by lifezone247(m): 7:45am On Jun 16, 2016
seyema:
You mean some people are still on Facebook?
Abudu2000:
facebook will remain relevant for a very long time, the big boiz use Facebook,okay
AnodaIT:
Me and Facebook apps? No
The way they steal information and drain battery is alarming, I will continue to use only the Web version until that day they will forced everyone to the app. With Web, at least I'm assured that when I close the browser, their activities stops
make una help me tell this guy abeg. Which kind yeye big boys?
bigass123:
Who facebook Don epp? undecided
Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by Nobody: 7:47am On Jun 16, 2016
henrydadon:

Are u blaming him or the mods that have refuse to hand him a lifetime ban..

In fact am suspecting these our mods..because he always at front page

That guy has over 50 monikers. He opens one everyday after been banned. Don't blame the mods but the bloody scammer wey no give up

1 Like

Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by wizkidblogger(f): 7:47am On Jun 16, 2016
I dislike messenger app. Dunno why..
Re: Facebook Brings Back SMS Feature To Messenger For Android by laparry12(f): 7:48am On Jun 16, 2016
[quote author=Kesmakveli post=46616698][/quote]Honestly, but why do d mods allow it to get to FP? Abi na dem?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Be Careful When Buying Iphone5 That Is Sealed / Globalcom Is Holding Me To Ransom!!! / Airtel NG Is Dishing Out 10mb & N400 Worth Airtime,get Urs Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.