Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine (10972 Views)

Dangers Of Changing Top Gasket In 2gr Engine / Does Hybrid Cars Use Different 3MZ Engine? Please I Need Help / 2GR-FE Oil Cooler Pipe Replacement (2008 Toyota Highlander) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by Suerexxy: 3:06pm On Oct 21, 2018
hi NL,

I am battling with a decision of which to pick.
I have trying to decided BTW 2006 Sienna 3 mz engine and a 2007 2gr engine.
please which is more durable.
only info I was told was that 2gr comes with a chain timing while 3mz come with belt timing.
kindly assist.
Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by eRex(m): 3:52pm On Oct 21, 2018
Im interested in this one.

Cc
Gazzuzz
Readonee35l
Heavenlybang
Thebigkendo
Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by Readonee35L(m): 4:39pm On Oct 21, 2018
The newer the better.
The 2GR is more advanced, slightly better mpg, more rugged .
Basically i don't see any disadvantage because the 2gr is almost indestructible despite the little errors they have they can stand the test of time.

The only disadvantage would be the cost of an engine replacement. But with proper maintenance the Engine will last the entire lifetime of that car.

7 Likes

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:46pm On Oct 21, 2018
Both engines are pretty much bulletproof and should match your transmission.

2GR is considerably more powerful, though.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by eRex(m): 10:40pm On Oct 21, 2018
Readonee35L:
The newer the better.
The 2GR is more advanced, slightly better mpg, more rugged .
Basically i don't see any disadvantage because the 2gr is almost indestructible despite the little errors they have they can stand the test of time.

The only disadvantage would be the cost of an engine replacement. But with proper maintenance the Engine will last the entire lifetime of that car.

What about fuel consumption?
Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by Readonee35L(m): 10:58pm On Oct 21, 2018
eRex:

What about fuel consumption?
The 07 Sienna with 2gr 3.5l has slightly better fuel economy, more power , more stable and efficient.

The 2grfe is a big upgrade to the 3mz

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by asamwababy: 9:01am On Oct 22, 2018
Readonee35L:

The 07 Sienna with 2gr 3.5l has slightly better fuel economy, more power , more stable and efficient.

The 2grfe is a big upgrade to the 3mz

Very true.

You will experience better driving and gear shifting with the 2gr than the 3mz which experiences slight delay in gear shifting.

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by Milosval: 7:54am On Jan 25, 2021
2gr is a very bad engine. Little overheat and the engine is gone. 3mz is one of the strongest Toyota engine.

17 Likes

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by an0daGuy: 8:00am On Jan 25, 2021
For maintenance 2gr is easier (cleaning plugs, air filter etc) but When it comes to fuel efficiency 3mz beats 2gr hands down. No contest.

7 Likes

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:23am On Jan 25, 2021
an0daGuy:
For maintenance 2gr is easier (cleaning plugs, air filter etc) but When it comes to fuel efficiency 3mz beats 2gr hands down. No contest.

Lol, the problem isn't that you're wrong. It's that you're so confident about it.

5 Likes

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by an0daGuy: 8:42am On Jan 25, 2021
HeavenlyBang:

Lol, the problem isn't that you're wrong. It's that you're so confident about it.

I drive interstate. Toyota Sienna. I’ve driven tokumbo units to and fro lag to the east. I know how much fuel I buy for the 3mz and 2gr per trip.

I have hands on experience with both engines in a 2006 and 2007 Sienna. I still have colleagues driving Sienna vehicles with both engine configurations DAILY.

If you don’t have such experience as I do then just swerve and allow the op make the decision based on personal experiences and not googling like you usually do

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:46am On Jan 25, 2021
an0daGuy:

I drive interstate. Toyota Sienna. I’ve driven tokumbo units to and fro lag to the east. I know how much fuel I buy for the 3mz and 2gr per trip.

I have hands on experience with both engines in a 2006 and 2007 Sienna.

If you don’t have such experience as I do then just swerve and allow the op make the decision based on personal experiences and not googling like you usually do

Alright then. Na only you don drive car with 3MZ and 2GR na.

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by an0daGuy: 8:47am On Jan 25, 2021
HeavenlyBang:

Alright then. Na only you don drive car with 3MZ and 2GR na.

We’re talking about those engines in a SIENNA and not a Camry or Lexus.

I hope you get?

15 Likes

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:47am On Jan 25, 2021
an0daGuy:

We’re talking about those engines in a SIENNA and not a Camry or Lexus.

I hope you get?

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by an0daGuy: 10:15am On Jan 25, 2021
Hehehe cheesy this bang guy. You too like quarrel pass fight. You don’t disappoint at all. Your ‘I too know’ level is alarming and worst is you’re ignorant on this particular case in question.

So you’re saying my personal experience isn’t admissible here? So what is your own fact and how did you arrive at it? See how quickly you ran to same google to try and bring up a flimsy counter to my narrative. At your age undecided

On your head I rest my case jare grin

Op for what it’s worth, based on the experience I’ve had for 2 years with these engines in the exact vehicle you wish to purchase.

1. The 3mz is more fuel economical than the 2gr

2. After any unfortunate case of overheating the 2gr is more susceptible to extensive damage than the 3mz.

Choose your poison wisely and leave that guy above to go to heaven and look for who to bang.

22 Likes

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by Control7: 10:57am On Jan 25, 2021
Person ask question since 2018, na 2021 people dey quarrel over it grin

Just passing by

11 Likes

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by eRex(m): 4:08pm On Jan 25, 2021
Who want.

3mz
Xle
Dvd

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:19am On Jan 26, 2021
an0daGuy:

I have hands on experience with both engines in a 2006 and 2007 Sienna. I still have colleagues driving Sienna vehicles with both engine configurations DAILY.

Heavenlybang for some strange reason he is right about the fuel economy thing.

I own both, and at some time i had a contract to supply 30 units to the south east for elections. The 3mzs where champs when it came to fuel economy while the 2gr were all guzzlers.

I think it's a sienna thing

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:54am On Jan 26, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

I own both, and at some time i had a contract to supply 30 units to the south east for elections. The 3mzs where champs when it came to fuel economy while the 2gr were all guzzlers.

Hmmm, interesting.

I guess it's a Sienna thing after all. Because my ES330 wasn't better than the ES350's I've been in.
Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by FEGEITOK: 11:38am On Jan 26, 2021
HeavenlyBang:

Hmmm, interesting.

I guess it's a Sienna thing after all. Because my ES330 wasn't better than the ES350's I've been in.

Apologize to the guy oooooo

GIG insists on the 2006

Despite everything, I personally prefer more power

6 Likes

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by eRex(m): 1:38pm On Jan 26, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Most of the 2GR I see are mostly AWD....

Would that be the cause of the guzzling effect or 2GR FWD are no exemption?

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:54pm On Jan 26, 2021
eRex:

Most of the 2GR I see are mostly AWD....

Would that be the cause of the guzzling effect or 2GR FWD are no exemption?

Just a tuning thing.
Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by Kaybaba5(m): 2:41pm On Jan 26, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Oga at the top don talk gbamu

No more arguments

7 Likes

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by blissbliss: 3:16pm On Jan 26, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Boss, would you say same for Lexuses?

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by blissbliss: 3:17pm On Jan 26, 2021
an0daGuy:
Hehehe cheesy this bang guy. You too like quarrel pass fight. You don’t disappoint at all. Your ‘I too know’ level is alarming and worst is you’re ignorant on this particular case in question.

So you’re saying my personal experience isn’t admissible here? So what is your own fact and how did you arrive at it? See how quickly you ran to same google to try and bring up a flimsy counter to my narrative. At your age undecided

On your head I rest my case jare grin

Op for what it’s worth, based on the experience I’ve had for 2 years with these engines in the exact vehicle you wish to purchase.

1. The 3mz is more fuel economical than the 2gr

2. After any unfortunate case of overheating the 2gr is more susceptible to extensive damage than the 3mz.

Boss, would you say same for Lexus?
Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:23pm On Jan 26, 2021
blissbliss:

Boss, would you say same for Lexuses?

Same hardware, different software programming in engine ecu.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by blissbliss: 5:45pm On Jan 26, 2021
GAZZUZZ:

Same hardware, different software programming in engine ecu.

Oh, what about the fuel economy, which is better?
Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:54pm On Jan 26, 2021
blissbliss:

Oh, what about the fuel economy, which is better?

No idea.
Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by homeboy205: 10:14pm On Jan 26, 2021
Suerexxy:
hi NL,

I am battling with a decision of which to pick.
I have trying to decided BTW 2006 Sienna 3 mz engine and a 2007 2gr engine.
please which is more durable.
only info I was told was that 2gr comes with a chain timing while 3mz come with belt timing.
kindly assist.

Op, which one you con finally get ?

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by Kokomo: 8:50pm On Jun 26, 2021
Milosval:
2gr is a very bad engine. Little overheat and the engine is gone. 3mz is one of the strongest Toyota engine.

how true

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by usernameG: 12:24pm On Aug 11, 2022
[b][/b]
asamwababy:

Very true.

You will experience better driving and gear shifting with the 2gr than the 3mz which experiences slight delay in gear shifting.
Re: Advice Needed For A Sienna: 2gr Engine Or 3mz Engine by xperiencelove(m): 2:12pm On Aug 12, 2022
Used both cars everyday and travels with it, 2gr in 2008 Highlander is more fuel economical than 3mz in 2004 Sienna XLE. Both was bought toks, Highlander in 2019 and Sienna in 2020 during covid-19 lockdown.
HeavenlyBang:

Hmmm, interesting.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Parts In Regular Cars You Won't Find In Electric Car's Maintenance/Repair Lists / How To Make Your Car Tyres Last Longer / FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.