Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,762 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria (4801 Views)

These Are The 15 Safest 2018 Cars So Far - IIHS / Why Are Cars Cheap In Katsina / The Classic Mercedes At Murtala Mohammed Airport In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by larisoft: 5:51am On Jun 17, 2016
The 190es and W230s for instance almost always go for below 300k. Please guys, I am getting interested in these cars but the price seems to suggest it may be a trap. What are these cars like?
Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:16am On Jun 17, 2016
Those cars are money squanders; they have lots of rust, old noisy engines and history of so many repairs they also smell funny.....

1 Like

Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by AutoJoshNG: 8:15am On Jun 17, 2016
larisoft:
The 190es and W230s for instance almost always go for below 300k. Please guys, I am getting interested in these cars but the price seems to suggest it may be a trap. What are these cars like?

The law of demand and supply.

AutoJoshNG
Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:31am On Jun 17, 2016
Mercedes benz, though a luxury is has no second hand value.

Even post millennium used c class are sold below N1m

I laugh when someone says he/she had a good deal on a Mercedes, cos the cars are crap.

They just dont command used value due to their complications.

Go to a good mechanic workshop you will get them for less than N200k

Flat boots and 190es go for less than N200k.

No offense to the Merciless Benz freaks, but you ve got to agree with me that the car is a money pit. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 8:41am On Jun 17, 2016
Rust is indeed an issue on certain areas of certain models in the Mercedes family line, HOWEVER, this is not universally true, and there are indeed quite a few models of older Mercedes that will remain remarkably rust free for decades after they were new.

At the moment, my mechanics are putting finishing touches to a flawless 1991 Mercedes R129 500SL roadster that I picked up for chump change in the junkyard. To my utter astonishment, this vehicle has ZERO rust on the chassis and frame. I spent far more than I paid for the car to have the engine and entire suspension meticulously overhauled, and the result is that I am now the proud owner of a car that cost well in excess of $90K back when it was on sale as a rich man's chariot, but was acquired and restored for less than 10% of its original sticker price.

Here are a couple of pictures pulled off the net. What is there not to love about this renegade outlaw of a car ?

To learn more about specific Mercedes Benz models, the most heavily visited website on the net is BenzWorld. Check it out.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by ALLU: 9:35am On Jun 17, 2016
wow... thanks so much for the info, guys.
Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by Ivobobul: 9:43am On Jun 17, 2016
They really cheap, because there is no markup. Bought on Jiji, already a year I have a Mercedes. cool
Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jun 17, 2016
They are cheap because most people don't value them here and then they have most times been poorly maintained. They most times fail to realise that you can't buy a superbly crafted 30 year old car & expect not to spend on tired parts periodically.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 1:12pm On Jun 17, 2016
0rex:
They are cheap because most people don't value them here and then they have most times been poorly maintained. They most times fail to realise that you can't buy a superbly crafted 30 year old car & expect not to spend on tired parts periodically.

Sho y'right. OEM Merc Parts tend to cost more, but if one is careful to acquire only OEM parts or their recognized equivalents, such as Lemforder, Mylie and such, you cannot go wrong with a refurbished old-skool Mercedes.

My 500SL cost me $500 to buy from the breaking yard, but then I went ahead to purchase over $3,000 worth of suspension parts and engine overhaul kit, to make this car brand new again. That junkyard diamond-in-the-rough is now a tight, brutally fast, precision handling work of engineering artistry that will very easily outrun most V8 cars that rolled off the assembly line just last week.

This mechanical marvel is one lean and mean hell-on-wheels speed demon poised to DOMINATE the autobahn, I tell ya, yeeeeeehaw !

Now then, let us again contemplate some more shots depicting the sexiest Mercedes roadster for miles around, in yet another montage of sleek images grabbed from the net.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jun 17, 2016
Jakumo:

Sho y'right. OEM Merc Parts tend to cost more, but if one is careful to acquire only OEM parts or their recognized equivalents, such as Lemforder, Mylie and such, you cannot go wrong with a refurbished old-skool Mercedes.

My 500SL cost me $500 to buy from the breaking yard, but then I went ahead to purchase over $3,000 worth of suspension parts and engine overhaul kit, to make this car brand new again. That junkyard diamond-in-the-rough is now a tight, brutally fast, precision handling work of engineering artistry that will very easily outrun most V8 cars that rolled off the assembly line just last week.

This mechanical marvel is one lean and mean highway DEMON, I tell ya, yeeeeeehaw !

Now then, let us again contemplate some more shots depicting the sexiest Mercedes roadster for miles around, in yet another montage of sleek images grabbed from the net.

Hmmn... Nice!
Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by Crixie(m): 3:06pm On Jun 17, 2016
Lemme post some pix grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by Crixie(m): 3:16pm On Jun 17, 2016
I think the problem is the maintenance culture of most Nigerian car owners ...buy Oem parts or original alternatives ,they won't agree."Take your car to a good technician to Fix" ..."Money no dey" is the reply u will get

1 Like

Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by cocoduck: 4:39pm On Jun 18, 2016
kaeforum:

I laugh when someone says he/she had a good deal on a Mercedes, cos the cars are crap.

No offense to the Merciless Benz freaks, but you ve got to agree with me that the car is a money pit. grin
even Scotty kilmer said the same thing
Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:42am On Jun 23, 2016
kaeforum:

What on earth are you saying? First of all, you said it's "a luxury", then, you said "it's crap". Now are you referring to the old models ONLY, or the make, Mercedes-Benz?

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by lonelydora: 5:50am On Jun 23, 2016
Me wey sell my 230E last year 120k with abeg sef

1 Like

Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:14am On Jun 23, 2016
lonelydora:
Me wey sell my 230E last year 120k with abeg sef
Lol! I guess you really needed the cash.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by Jakumo(m): 9:10pm On Jun 23, 2016
To really enjoy an older Mercedes, a powerful V8 motor should be made mandatory, in a fair world, because such robust power-plants ensure that you REALLY feel the G-forces when you punch the gas pedal to feed that primal need for speed. It is so sad to see large-bodied Mercedes luxury cars of all ages, that are fitted with the smallest available lawn-mower engines, because the owners are so miserly and cheap that they are anxious to save a few coins in loose change at the petrol station.

If you the sort of horn-dog that will gladly spend big money to gain access to the tasty honey that fine women offer for rent, then you deserve to be FLOGGED in public, if you also happen to be one of those stingy petrol misers that will settle for tiny little car engines selected in the blind pursuit of minor petrol cost savings at the expense of the raw horsepower that could save your life in the event of an emergency on the highway.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jun 23, 2016
larisoft:

Most very rich people own a benz in their fleet.
cool

Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by chiefbuchiV12(m): 12:08pm On Jun 28, 2016
Crixie:
Lemme post some pix grin
Wow...the W123 has always been a fav, its on my bucket list sef
Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by chiefbuchiV12(m): 12:08pm On Jun 28, 2016
Crixie:
Lemme post some pix grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by Denn(m): 1:14pm On Jun 28, 2016
number of w123 sold...2.7m
number of w124 sold...2.5m
number of w201 sold...1.9m

7.1 million cars with just 3 models, not counting the other designs and just over two decades.

the fact is that a lot of these cars did not die unless they were killed.

how many hondas, toyotas, bmws, nissans etc are over 30 years old on our roads?

if you can get a cheap benz classic, it is because they were and are reliable...and plenty.

to buy a benz is not by force...only those who know, know

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Used Classic Mercedes Cars So Cheap In Nigeria by Crixie(m): 2:47pm On Jun 28, 2016
chiefbuchiV12:

The love I have for w123 no get part 2

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Car Logos And Their Manufacturing Countries. / Honda Civic Vs Ford Focus [IMAGE] / Help-My Car Engine Making A Funny Sound

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.