Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,248 members, 7,860,567 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:46 PM

Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide (1406 Views)

United Labour Congress Commences Strike Nationwide / Nigerians To Pay N7.45/kwh More For Electricity (see Price List) / President Buhari’s Approval Rating Dips To 39 Percent In June 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by osinbanjoisaliar: 5:15pm On Jun 20, 2016
The national electricity grid
has continued its drop to
1,600 megawatts (mw) since
Saturday with many
electricity consumers
decrying the situation, Daily
Trust reports.
The critical drop has caused
prolonged power outages
across major cities of the
country including the federal
capital, Abuja and Nasarawa
State since Thursday, some
residents said.
Ads by Google
Ad covers the page
Stop seeing this ad
The Minister of Power,
Works and Housing, Mr.
Babatunde Fashola, had said
on Thursday that repair
works on a vandalised
transmission tower since that
day would cause a loss of
300mw from the Okpai power
station in Delta State.
Fashola said the Kainji/Jebba
and Shiroro hydro plants
would, however, cushion the
effect by maximising output
during the two weeks repair
period.
However, our reporter has
observed that the plants
may not have been able to
cushion the free fall as the
grid plunged below 2,000mw
after many gas
infrastructure were
vandalised since last month.
Updated daily power
generation reports from the
Nigeria Electricity System
Operator (NSO) on Sunday
puts the peak generation at
1,668mw. A resident, Mr
Lanre Oluwole, who spoke to
Daily Trust on the state of
supply in Nyanya, Abuja,
said the area only had
supply for six hours in three
days. “The situation went
worse since Thursday, from
then till Sunday, supply has
been poor. We got just six
hours power those days,”
he said.
www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/business/electricity-users-groan-as-grid-dips-to-1-600mw/151847.html
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by SeverusSnape(m): 5:16pm On Jun 20, 2016
Chai

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by rummeh: 5:22pm On Jun 20, 2016
Anytime power supply increase.. We nuh dy gt lite.. When it drops we go dy get steady power supply
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by csamii: 5:27pm On Jun 20, 2016
Power sector is on autopilot.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by naijaboy756: 5:33pm On Jun 20, 2016
The dull 1 is back with his destiny of hardship

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jun 20, 2016
Major problem with the power sector....generation and transmission.

Sort those two out....and we could be on the way to imporved power supply.

But only if Nigerians pay their bills....the same way we grumble about GSM companies....and yet buy recharge card.
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by OjukwuWarBird: 5:36pm On Jun 20, 2016
Fashola and Rocket science

1 Like

Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by Ezenwammadu(m): 5:37pm On Jun 20, 2016
Minster of darkness failing as usual

1 Like

Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by iamblisz(m): 5:37pm On Jun 20, 2016
Bad news again..

For the pass 10 day we have been hearing good news when osibanjo was acting pres

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jun 20, 2016
naijaboy756:
The dull 1 is back with his destiny of hardship
Ezenwammadu:
Minster of darkness failing as usual
OjukwuWarBird:
Fashola and Rocket science

And in response ....from the article

(Fashola speaking)
on Thursday that repair
works on a vandalised
day would cause a loss of
station in Delta State.

Who vandalised the power terminal? Nigerians. (On an unrelated note...that is why we pay through our noses for GSM services...because some people are fond of vandalizing GSM transmission facilties.

Fashola said the Kainji/Jebba
and Shiroro hydro plants
would, however, cushion the
effect by maximising output
during the two weeks repair
period.
However, our reporter has
observed that the plants
may not have been able to
cushion the free fall as the
after many gas
infrastructure were

And those responsible for the vandalisation are......

If we want power supply in this country to be sustained properly....we have to do our bit...by paying our bills and ending the vandalisaiton of critical power infrastructure.

That is a big part of the reason why the old NEPA/PHCN could not give us light 24/7/

1 Like

Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jun 20, 2016
Basic problem with the power sector is the high rate of vandalisim. That is what frustrated GEJ's efforts....and that is what would frustrate this government too.

That...and the fact many Nigerians do not want to pay for improved power supply....the way we paid for improved telephony aka GSM.

We need power at 20000MW at least to get power 24/7. We also need to improve our transmission system. And that costs money. If we want it...we pay for it. Under the old NEPA system....many Nigerians did not pay their bills.The same old thing is happening again.

If we want 24/7 power....we have to do our bit...just as the power companies too (DISCOS and GENCOS) HAVE TO DO their bit by supplying us with prepaid meters....and the govt does its bit by repairing the transmission system (which is the only thing it controls now)

We cannot demand for good power without paying for it.
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by Achuwa1(m): 5:50pm On Jun 20, 2016
Fashola is a square peg put in a round hole.
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by MadamExcellency: 6:02pm On Jun 20, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

You deserve serious mob beating.

Why are you shifting the responsibilities to the citizenry when Fashola said that excuses aren't acceptable hence APC was voted to do the magic and not give worst excuses than the administration they replaced.
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 20, 2016
Meanwhile in Woji estate PH, there's been at least 9hrs electricity today.
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jun 20, 2016
MadamExcellency:

You deserve serious mob beating

What a nice thing to say to someone you have never met. And in response to that....may God richly bless you in many ways this year.

Why are you shifting the responsibilities to the citizenry when Fashola said that excuses aren't acceptable hence APC was voted to do the magic and not give worst excuses than the administration they replaced.

Well.

1.Fashola does not run power the same way his predecessors ran it...ie...thanks to privatization ,most aspects of power have been taken away from government hands.and are now in private hands.Meaning...we the citizens now have to pay for our power (That is why even APC chieftains like Atiku were calling for PHCN to be brought back).

2.Few months ago.....Edo DISCO workers were beaten up by bill dodgers when they came round to collect overdue bills. Most of you Nigerians backed the dodgers....and blamed the govt for a price increase that had already been worked into the law that was passed by the previous admin to enable the DISCOS.

Meanwhile...the DISCOS still need money to improve things. Banks consider power risky...so won;t give them loans. Govt has already paid the money they were supposed to pay.So where do they get the money?

From us.

GSM companies charge highly....and we pay without complaint. Why should we refuse to pay the DISCOS. ? (AEDC recently said 40% of its customers pay bills. 60% do not).

3.Finally....it is Nigerians who vandalize power lines,and gas pipelines.How do you guarantee power supply when people do such things.

I hate to say this....but Nigerians need to stop sabotaging the DISCOS. We grumble all day long about MTN and co...yet we paid their price even back during the time when their services were not too good.

Thanks to privatization.....we would have to do the same for power. Unless you want PMB to re-nationalize the power sector....which means govt needs to find 1 bn USD annually for power annually. To say nothing pf paying off the DISCOS and GENCOS in legal liability costs.

You have a better idea?

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by MadamExcellency: 6:38pm On Jun 20, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

What a nice thing to say to someone you have never met. And in response to that....may God richly bless you in many ways this year.

Well.

1.Fashola does not run power the same way his predecessors ran it...ie...thanks to privatization ,most aspects of power have been taken away from government hands.and are now in private hands.Meaning...we the citizens now have to pay for our power (That is why even APC chieftains like Atiku were calling for PHCN to be brought back).

2.Few months ago.....Edo DISCO workers were beaten up by bill dodgers when they came round to collect overdue bills. Most of you Nigerians backed the dodgers....and blamed the govt for a price increase that had already been worked into the law that was passed by the previous admin to enable the DISCOS.

Meanwhile...the DISCOS still need money to improve things. Banks consider power risky...so won;t give them loans. Govt has already paid the money they were supposed to pay.So where do they get the money?

From us.

GSM companies charge highly....and we pay without complaint. Why should we refuse to pay the DISCOS. ? (AEDC recently said 40% of its customers pay bills. 60% do not).

3.Finally....it is Nigerians who vandalize power lines,and gas pipelines.How do you guarantee power supply when people do such things.

I hate to say this....but Nigerians need to stop sabotaging the DISCOS. We grumble all day long about MTN and co...yet we paid their price even back during the time when their services were not too good.

Thanks to privatization.....we would have to do the same for power. Unless you want PMB to re-nationalize the power sector....which means govt needs to find 1 bn USD annually for power annually. To say nothing pf paying off the DISCOS and GENCOS in legal liability costs.

You have a better idea?

Your excuses sound ridiculous.

The problems are systematic, the FG is responsible for transmission and whenever you hear of system failure, it's a transmission problem.

Secondly, the other problem is maintenance. The hydroelectric plants are failing hence their ability to sustain average supply is near zero.

If the excuses weren't acceptable from the last administration, it wouldn't fly now.
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jun 20, 2016
MadamExcellency:

Your excuses sound ridiculous.

The problems are systematic, the FG is responsible for transmission and whenever you hear of system failure, it's a transmission problem.

Secondly, the other problem is maintenance. The hydroelectric plants are failing hence their ability to sustain average supply is near zero.

If the excuses weren't acceptable from the last administration, it wouldn't fly now.

Yep, they were not acceptable last time.

But NEPA's problems too...back in the day...were people who did not pay their bills too.

Still on vandals....if you read the OP's article...you would have seen these bits...

repair
works on a [b]vandalised
day [/b]would cause a loss of
station in Delta State.

and this...

as the
after many gas
infrastructure were

Who vandalized this? Nigerians. That has always been the problem....and that is why I stopped blaming the government since 2014...slowly, but I got there (My writeup is the result of two years of thinking too much about power).

And again.....most Nigerians do not pay for the light. True during Nepa days....still true now.And the Power sector needs that money....even more so now.....to pay for the needed improvements. (Most Nigerians also do not pay taxes too....which is why we have Fowler..quadrupled Lagos tax income.... in the FIRS. wink..)
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by MadamExcellency: 7:07pm On Jun 20, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

But NEPA's problems too...back in the day...were people who did not pay their bills too.

Still on vandals....if you read the OP's article...you would have seen these bits...

and this...

Who vandalized this? Nigerians. That has always been the problem....and that is why I stopped blaming the government since 2014...slowly, but I got there (My writeup is the result of two years of thinking too much about power).

And again.....most Nigerians do not pay for the light. True during Nepa days....still true now.And the Power sector needs that money....even more so now.....to pay for the needed improvements. (Most Nigerians also do not pay taxes too....which is why we have Fowler..quadrupled Lagos tax income.... in the FIRS. wink..)

300Mw is not substantial hence the excuses are ridiculous.

Who is responsible for protecting National asserts? FG

What are you even talking about non payment when our area still paid for transformer repairs and also paid bills January and February when the light was zero supplied because of faulty transformer.

There has always been vandals since time immemorial hence No Excuses.

Fashola's Ministry of Power is a failure - QED.
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by csamii: 7:12pm On Jun 20, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

and this...

Do you expect people to pay for darkness?

Do you expect law abiding citizens to do the work of public office holders e.g Inspector general of police, fashola etc?

I've not had light for the past 3weeks and counting, do you expect me to pay for this month's bill when they come calling?
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 20, 2016
csamii:

Do you expect people to pay for darkness?

Do you expect law abiding citizens to do the work of public office holders e.g Inspector general of police, fashola etc?

I've not had light for the past 3weeks and counting, do you expect me to pay for this month's bill when they come calling?

Do you expect DISCOS and GENCOS to find money from the sky to pay for much needed improvements?

And why should people call for 24/7 light...and at the same time vandalize power infrastructure...and so on?

We paid high prices for GSM....even when their services were nothing to write home about. Took five years....but today....we are seeing the benefits.

Govt should do its bit.So too should the people.Sane people in sane countries do not vandalize power infrastructure.
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jun 20, 2016
MadamExcellency:

300Mw is not substantial hence the excuses are ridiculous.

Who is responsible for protecting National asserts? FG

What are you even talking about non payment when our area still paid for transformer repairs and also paid bills January and February when the light was zero supplied because of faulty transformer.

There has always been vandals since time immemorial hence No Excuses.

Fashola's Ministry of Power is a failure - QED.

And WE Nigerians need to pay OUR POWER bills and stop vandalizing power sector equipment too.

QED.

Note that I am interested in power being stable....and I want govt too to improve generation. But...we cannot continue refusing to pay our bills,as wellas stealing cables and expect improved power.It is not sustainable.

Truth is harsh.
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jun 20, 2016
LAST POST on this thread....

If you have read my posts blaming Nigerians...and you think that I am giving the government a free pass....sorry,that is not it.

Government has to replace the transmission system....and we have to spend more on generation. That is a given (and that is why we even have private sector involvement).

But the OP....pointed out that the power failure was due to vandals.And at the same time, many of the DISCOS complain about not getting enough money from consumers....most consumers donot pay (They also do not give us prepaid meters).And many Nigerians refuse to pay...even before this latest price increase.

So....if you want Power to improve....we have to do our bit too. I think it is insane (and yes....even we GEJ critics should have blasted the pipeline vandals that were working back then) that in this country....people bypass meters, steal cables,do illegal join join, and then vandalise pipelines. And then we turn around and expect power to be stable..

It is like an employer paying his staff N100 a month and expecting them to perform well.

I don't excuse the government.....but it is high time Nigerians too grew up and started being serious too.

Thanks and good night.
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 20, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

And in response ....from the article

Who vandalised the power terminal? Nigerians. (On an unrelated note...that is why we pay through our noses for GSM services...because some people are fond of vandalizing GSM transmission facilties.

And those responsible for the vandalisation are......

If we want power supply in this country to be sustained properly....we have to do our bit...by paying our bills and ending the vandalisaiton of critical power infrastructure.

That is a big part of the reason why the old NEPA/PHCN could not give us light 24/7/
Sometimes you just have to let this doomsayers be, they're just despicable and won't give in to your explanation wink

1 Like

Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by csamii: 7:32pm On Jun 20, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Do you expect DISCOS and GENCOS to find money from the sky to pay for much needed improvements?

And why should people call for 24/7 light...and at the same time vandalize power infrastructure...and so on?

We paid high prices for GSM....even when their services were nothing to write home about. Took five years....but today....we are seeing the benefits.

Govt should do its bit.So too should the people.Sane people in sane countries do not vandalize power infrastructure.

You make it look like everyone in this country participate in vandalizing power infrastructures.
Who is responsible for the protection of national assets?
Again, do you expect people to pay for what they don't get?
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by MadamExcellency: 7:38pm On Jun 20, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

And WE Nigerians need to pay OUR POWER bills and stop vandalizing power sector equipment too.

QED.

Note that I am interested in power being stable....and I want govt too to improve generation. But...we cannot continue refusing to pay our bills,as wellas stealing cables and expect improved power.It is not sustainable.

Truth is harsh.

From the comment you quoted last, I narrated how Nigerians including myself is being defrauded and you are talking of another payment when we are already over-paying.

Secondly, the last regime handed over to this administration the capacity to generate 12,000 Mwatts if the fuel is made available simultaneously to all the turbines with adequate maintenance of our hydroelectric dams and here we are receiving excuses.

We reject every excuse that wasn't as hard as rocket science unless Fashola tenders apology for his loosed tongue and promises to improve on what was handed over to him without under performance hence forth.
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jun 20, 2016
Cyph98:

Sometimes you just have to let this doomsayers be, they're just despicable and won't give in to your explanation wink

They are not...they have every right to be angry about the poor state of power supply in this country.
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by aloeman15(m): 7:43pm On Jun 20, 2016
I'm sorry, but you're passing the buck.
This must stop.
@Powerupng claims that discos usually refuse to receive transmitted power.
We all know that time and again, discos have refused to buy or deploy meters.
Any update from fashola on the 300,000 meters he claimed to have discovered?
Thank God that gej's govt got the law passed that YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REJECT ESTIMATED BILLS AND DEMAND FOR A METER!
(Pls spread this info to all and sundry).
Also- Recall that army personnel beat up disco staff because they were disconnected- for owing the disco.
The fg and it's parastatals are the biggest debtors of discos.
When you sack a manager because the new one you interviewed claimed that the job isn't rocket science, you'd be a fool to blame your customers for the exact same problem you sacked someone- and hired another- for.
Bottom line-
Nigeria will only change when we the citizens make sure that public office holders pay dearly for their failures.
Hence, the need for strong institutions.
Abi?
Quakertellicus1:

QED.

Truth is harsh.
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jun 20, 2016
aloeman15:
I'm sorry, but you're passing the buck.
This must stop.
@Powerupng claims that discos usually refuse to receive transmitted power.
We all know that time and again, discos have refused to buy or deploy meters.
Any update from fashola on the 300,000 meters he claimed to have discovered?
Thank God that gej's govt got the law passed that YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REJECT ESTIMATED BILLS AND DEMAND FOR A METER!
(Pls spread this info to all and sundry).
Also- Recall that army personnel beat up disco staff because they were disconnected- for owing the disco.
The fg and it's parastatals are the biggest debtors of discos.
When you sack a manager because the new one you interviewed claimed that the job isn't rocket science, you'd be a fool to blame your customers for the exact same problem you sacked someone- and hired another- for.
Bottom line-
Nigeria will only change when we the citizens make sure that public office holders pay dearly for their failures.
Hence, the need for strong institutions.
Abi?

If you read my posts....you would see I blame Nigerians...which includes Govt and its parastatals. (Sorry...did not make that clear).

And even when Nigerians have the meters...some bypass them.

(I did say earlier on this thread that DISCOS have a duty to give us meters).
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jun 20, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

They are not...they have every right to be angry about the poor state of power supply in this country.
On a level playing field I would be the first to discredit the minister of power but in a society where bigotry and selfish interests chops off 80% of your work I think there's no right here to exercise smiley
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by aloeman15(m): 12:36am On Jun 21, 2016
The idea of a level playing field is a goal, or a hope- not a turnkey project.
The oldest democracies on earth are still struggling and fine-tuning their laws to cater to the constant changes in human evolution.
Therefore disparaging nigerians for being human beings- for we're no different from western, middle eastern or far eastern societies- is both wrong and dangerous.
German nazis were highly enlightened. The policemen in the us who beat up rodney king were well educated. Bosnia was a supposedly well integrated society before the conflict in the 90's. There are british graduates who are devoted far-right activists.
So please broaden your horizons and stop deriding those of us who mostly, only know what we're told in our communities.
Cyph98:

On a level playing field I would be the first to discredit the minister of power but in a society where bigotry and selfish interests chops off 80% of your work I think there's no right here to exercise smiley
Re: Electricity Dips To 1600MW Nationwide by Nobody: 10:46am On Jun 21, 2016
aloeman15:
The idea of a level playing field is a goal, or a hope- not a turnkey project.
The oldest democracies on earth are still struggling and fine-tuning their laws to cater to the constant changes in human evolution.
Therefore disparaging nigerians for being human beings - for we're no different from western, middle eastern or far eastern societies- is both wrong and dangerous.
German nazis were highly enlightened. The policemen in the us who beat up rodney king were well educated Bosnia was a supposedly well integrated society before the conflict in the 90's. There are british graduates who are devoted far-right activists.
So please broaden your horizons and stop deriding those of us who mostly, only know what we're told in our communities.

@ boldened, destroying your lifeline is in no way human its sadistic and barbarous, which is an indication that we haven't all evolved, the fact that you likened the German Nazis of 1933 to the Nigerian situation vindicates my point

Secondly; if you see the idea of a level playing field as a goal then the idea of a constant power supply should be a goal and not a right

There's no point arguing the Vandals are probably doing there job, Fact is Power will likely remain a botheration until until we erase bigotry

(1) (Reply)

Governor Okorocha Escapes Death / Heart In The Rising Sun : Biafran Independence And The South East / Confession – Reason Why Obasanjo Brought Buhari In As President Will Shock You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.