Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,682 members, 7,813,270 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:58 AM

Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? (2866 Views)

Marriage: Should Husband And Wife Have Secrets / American Wife To Get $530million In Britain's Biggest Divorce Payout / 20-year-old Nigerian & His 65-year-old American Wife (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Tanna(f): 4:59pm On Sep 01, 2009
I am a portly woman (a big.thick woman). Whatever you want to call it (BBW).

My husband has always been attracted to me and thinks I am sexy, BUT, he is very opposite of me. he is very muscular and in-shape like an athlete. A very strong looking man.

The problem is- now that I am going to Nigeria for the first time he is pressuring me to lose weight- and is becoming angry with me for my lack of progress. he says we should both look healthy. Well- i am healthy- I'm just overweight.

His mom and dad already know i am big- they have visited here last year and saw me-- but now that we are going to Naija and will meet his brothers and sisters for the first time, Suddenly, my weight is of concern to him.

I don't think this is fair to me, he is now acting embarassed and impatient of my size- now that we are going to Naija.

If I eat anything (even breakfast) he gets angry and says "Aren't you trying to lose weight?"
EVERYDAY- he wants to know what exercise I have done, and gives me the silent treatment if i report that I had not exercised that day.

Our 4 children have their visas to go to Nigeria, but mysteriously, mine has not arrive yet.
Now I am thinking he is withholding my visa based on whether or not lose weight.

This is supposed to be a fun trip to finally see his homeland, but now it just seems like stress and pressure to put on a beauty show for him.

Any advice for how to deal with this--- and how important is MY size in Yoruba culture.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by GEW: 5:09pm On Sep 01, 2009
Tanna:

I am a portly woman (a big.thick woman). Whatever you want to call it (BBW).

My husband has always been attracted to me and thinks I am sexy, BUT, he is very opposite of me. he is very muscular and in-shape like an athlete. A very strong looking man.

The problem is- now that I am going to  Nigeria for the first time he is pressuring me to lose weight- and is becoming angry with me for my lack of progress. he says we should both look healthy. Well- i am healthy- I'm just overweight.

His mom and dad already know i am big- they have visited here last year and saw me-- but now that we are going to Naija and will meet his brothers and sisters for the first time, Suddenly, my weight is of concern to him.

I don't think this is fair to me, he is now acting embarassed and impatient of my size- now that we are going to Naija.

If I eat anything (even breakfast) he gets angry and says "Aren't you trying to lose weight?"
EVERYDAY- he wants to know what exercise I have done, and gives me the silent treatment if i report that I had not exercised that day.

[b]Our 4 children have their visas to go to Nigeria, but mysteriously, mine has not arrive yet.
Now I am thinking he is withholding my visa based on whether or not  lose weight.
[/b]

This is supposed to be a fun trip to finally see his homeland, but now it just seems like stress and pressure to put on a beauty show for him.

Any advice for how to deal with this--- and how important is MY size in Yoruba culture.
arant non sense. you mean you have 4 kids for him and he is still worried about your weight. if he got your kids visas and yours is not out he probably dont want you going to naija.  when was the last time he went to naija himself?

there are many obese women in naija and yorubas have their fare share so it is not like you will be the only BBW woman in your plane let alone his village because until recently the only gym we saw in naija was via TV and magazines.

there is more to this than your weight that is if you have weight problem at all.

if it is not too much for you tell him you dont want to go and watch him from there.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Inky: 5:13pm On Sep 01, 2009
He liked you the way you was, he started moving with you the way you are so why now changing? believe me, if he want you to change by all means it doesn´t work out. he can´t change you, you only can change yourself but with no force from him.

1 Like

Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 5:14pm On Sep 01, 2009
i am sorry that you have to go thru this, however,  i have some questions.
1. have you always been thick, i mean while you were dating, were you BBW then as well?
2. Did you guys applied for all the Visa at same time?

Explain to your husband that you are comfortable the way you are, and that he loved you the way you are, and why is he worried about what people in Nigeria will think, he needs to love who you are and not what you look like.
Tell him to let you talk to the embassy and know why your visa is yet to be given.
Tell him u need some encouragement with losing weight and you wont mind, if he can be going with you.
Good luck
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 01, 2009
please, lose as much weight as u can. He's doin it in ur best interest. Nigerians react differently to big women, some are indifferent , while others can be nasty. Yoruba's used to be known for likin their women big but now that image has changed. All round, weight loss won't hurt ur self esteem when u land.

1 Like

Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 01, 2009
Just try and lose the weight wink. At least when you've done that, and he still castigates you for every little thing, you would know your relationship problem is not about the weight alone but some underlying factors.

The way you described yourself is errr. . .kinda scary for me though. lipsrsealed
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 5:21pm On Sep 01, 2009
So it is OK for the woman to change what she looks like, not because the man dont like it, but cos the man is worrying about what others might think?
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Inky: 5:21pm On Sep 01, 2009
I also believe that the problem is not only the weight, I think that the weight isn´t even the big issue. For sure there´s more behind it and the best think is to find that out.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Sep 01, 2009
Fhemmmy:

i am sorry that you have to go thru this, however,  i have some questions.
1. have you always been thick, i mean while you were dating, were you BBW then as well?
2. Did you guys applied for all the Visa at same time?

Explain to your husband that you are comfortable the way you are, and that he loved you the way you are, and why is he worried about what people in Nigeria will think, he needs to love who you are and not what you look like.
Tell him to let you talk to the embassy and know why your visa is yet to be given.
Tell him u need some encouragement with losing weight and you wont mind, if he can be going with you.
Good luck

Yeah, she needs more encouragement from her husband.
But BBW before four kids can be different from after four pregnancies. cheesy
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Inky: 5:24pm On Sep 01, 2009
The woman must like it to change and she shouldn´t only change because of him because today he want her to change this and tomorrow again something else. He started a relation with her the way she was, he loved her the way she was why now changing the person you always liked the way she was?
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 5:25pm On Sep 01, 2009
stillwater:

Yeah, she needs more encouragement from her husband.
But BBW before four kids can be different from after four pregnancies. cheesy

Very true, but the man knew he married a BBW, and that belle make them bigger, and if he is so worried about it, he wld have stopped at 2 kids, but keep popping them with the lady and now time to go see grandma and grandPa, the dude is spitting fire.
This is why i always say, make sure you with someone u can show off jare
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Sep 01, 2009
Fhemmmy:

So it is OK for the woman to change what she looks like, not because the man dont like it, but cos the man is worrying about what others might think?

I know that's just not right from the man's part but losing some pounds won't kill her either.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by GEW: 5:31pm On Sep 01, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Very true, but the man knew he married a BBW, and that belle make them bigger, and if he is so worried about it, he wld have stopped at 2 kids, but keep popping them with the lady and now time to go see grandma and grandPa, the dude is spitting fire.
[b]This is why i always say, make sure you with someone u can show off jare[/b]
and the lovely femi cant show off BBW?
stillwater:

I know that's just not right from the man's part but losing some pounds won't kill her either.

what about loving people for who they are rather trying to change them to what they are not? if this woman start resenting the man would you say it is worth the weight loss?
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 5:32pm On Sep 01, 2009
GEW:

and the lovely femi cant show off BBW?

Everyone has their own likes and tastes.
So if BBW is my taste, i will show her off, and if Lepa is, so it shall be.
But if you wanna know what my taste is, then, follow my yarn and u might be able to. tongue
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by GEW: 5:36pm On Sep 01, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Everyone has their own likes and tastes.
So if BBW is my taste, i will show her off, and if Lepa is, so it shall be.
But if you wanna know what my taste is, then, follow my yarn and u might be able to. tongue
didnt know bible quoting women loving people like you show off women let alone love throphy women.

i like your form of religion.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 01, 2009
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2009
GEW:

didnt know bible quoting women loving people like you show off women let alone love throphy women.

i like your form of religion.

Never knew your own bible says, you have to love someone that is not your type of woman?
everyone has quality that they want in a woman, and in a man, and no man/woman shd settle for less.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Sep 01, 2009
GEW:

and the lovely femi cant show off BBW? what about loving people for who they are rather trying to change them to what they are not? if this woman start resenting the man would you say it is worth the weight loss?

Why when we talk about weight people start saying love me for who I am bla bla whereas being overweight is a health issue. If I am blowing up day by day, I expect my loved ones to put me in order. The only problem I see here is her husband's manner of approach on her losing weight.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 5:45pm On Sep 01, 2009
stillwater:

Why when we talk about weight people start saying love me for who I am bla bla whereas being overweight is a health issue. If I am blowing up day by day, I expect my loved ones to put me in order. The only problem I see here is her husband's manner of approach on her losing weight.

Dont worry about GEW, it is always a personal attack, so let him wag his tail and shake "his' tail feather
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Sauron1: 5:52pm On Sep 01, 2009
Tanna:

Don't bovver about your size if you are coming to Lagos.
After the 3rd week, your weight will reduce after the day-to-day stress you are bound to encounter in Lagos.
Sumo wrestlers have turned to skeletons in Lagos. . . . .U have no problem at all.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Sep 01, 2009
Hahahaha, you're crazy.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Sauron1: 6:06pm On Sep 01, 2009
stillwater:

Hahahaha, you're crazy.

Stilly. . . . . .Why na?
Don't pretend you dunno what Lagos is like.
The temperature will lap up 10 stones from the OP. . . . .Never mind the traffic, fumes, sound pollution, etc.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 6:08pm On Sep 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

Don't bovver about your size if you are coming to Lagos.
After the 3rd week, your weight will reduce after the day-to-day stress you are bound to encounter in Lagos.
Sumo wrestlers have turned to skeletons in Lagos. . . . .U have no problem at all.

You are too much.
but you real sha.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Sep 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

Stilly. . . . . .Why na?
Don't pretend you dunno what Lagos is like.
The temperature will lap up 10 stones from the OP. . . . .Never mind the traffic, fumes, sound pollution, etc.

Hahahaha, how about owanbe parties every Saturday? After she dances from dusk to dawn on the street she won't need a gym. grin
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Sauron1: 6:19pm On Sep 01, 2009
Fhemmmy:

You are too much.
but you real sha.

It's the gospel truth. . . . . .

stillwater:

Hahahaha, how about owanbe parties every Saturday? After she dances from dusk to dawn on the street she won't need a gym. grin

U really expect an American woman to dance to Owanbe songs? This is not Usher or Jay-Z. . . . .
Can one lose weight dancing Makossa and Yahooze?
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by LuvAfrican(f): 6:20pm On Sep 01, 2009
I don’t see much wrong with your hubby asking you to loose a lil weight!!! I think that you are being a little too sensitive!!! However I do agree that it should not cause dispute b/t you guys and that he should approach this issue in a more loving manner, but again that’s your hubby and he just want you both to shine. I don’t think its personal……. Besides you should want to look your best for him. I say this with all due respect, because I am a mommy as well, and I know the importance of keeping ourselves in shape for health as well as appearance….Remember you want to keep his eyes.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by spikedcylinder: 6:21pm On Sep 01, 2009
Tanna:

Well- i am healthy- I'm just overweight.

Oh ok.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Sep 01, 2009
~Sauron~:

It's the gospel truth. . . . . .

U really expect an American woman to dance to Owanbe songs? This is not Usher or Jay-Z. . . . .
Can one lose weight dancing Makossa and Yahooze?

What is there? We dance to Usher why shouldn't she dance to ours? cool The length of the dancing can make one lose the pounds. You start making use of fat as energy when in a prolonged vigourous activity. tongue
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Sep 01, 2009
Spikedcylinder, you're not serious. grin
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Sauron1: 6:26pm On Sep 01, 2009
stillwater:

What is there? We dance to Usher why shouldn't she dance to ours? cool The length of the dancing can make one lose the pounds. You start making use of fat as energy when in a prolonged vigourous activity. tongue

Hilarious!!! grin grin grin grin grin

stillwater:

Spikedcylinder, you're not serious. grin

Spikey can be very wicked with her catchy comments.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Tanna(f): 6:45pm On Sep 01, 2009
1. No I was not Big when we were dating. I gained more weight with each child over the years. But I have been big LONGER than the years I was normal weight.

2. About the visa- He actually applied for Nigerian passports for the kids, I did not qualify for a Nigerian passport so he applied for a visa for me. All at the same time. He showed me the kids passports, but keeps saying more info is needed for my visa, Like a 2nd letter of invitation from his family, and one thing after another. he never showed me the letter from the consulate to prove they are really requesting more info. He keeps saying he has it in his office at work and keeps forgetting to bring it home for me to read.

3. I am not huge. I have been asked to model since I have been this size. Men check me out or flirt with me all the time, american and otherwise. so its not like I'm not attractive. That's why I don't understand this sudden concern-- and RUSH for me to lose weight for the trip. Sure I probably should try to lose weight-- but he is behaving as if it it urgent for the trip.

4. I am the size of Jennifer Hudson when she played in DreamGirls. My profile has a pic to example my size. That's not me, but looks a lot like me.
Re: Should American Wife Have To Make Change Before Going To Nigeria? by Sauron1: 6:48pm On Sep 01, 2009
Tanna:

3. I am not huge. I have been asked to model since I have been this size. Men check me out or flirt with me all the time, american and otherwise. so its not like I'm not attractive.

MINT!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Do U Miss In Family Section..? / Prayers For Our Children / My Hot Tempered Husband Beats Me ...but I Still Love Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.