Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,068 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria (69500 Views)

Removed / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / Mirah Mehta-young American Lady Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Northern Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 21, 2016
Who cares

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Welcomme: 1:27pm On Jun 21, 2016
I swear I hav lost passion for education. To me, it is no longer useful. A secondary school eduction is okay so that one can read and write.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 21, 2016
obailala:
Can someone please tell me why more Nigerians can't do this?.. Oh i forgot, we're all waiting for oil money from ND. And even when the ND oil money isn't forthcoming, we all have Buhari to blame.

Abi na.. u dey mind all of us?
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Ghost447(m): 1:28pm On Jun 21, 2016
ever811:
did u hear that? Harvard university graduate,and one useless secondary school drop out is there looking for whit collar job..
Many of our unemployed graduates will be ready to do this too if they have the capital or don't you think money will be involved in this kind of exercise or any other kind.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by JayJustus(m): 1:28pm On Jun 21, 2016
can't really blame people looking for white collar jobs...I remember late last year my dad and his friend went into maize and tomato farming ...when he went to the market to sell his products at a cheaper rate they refused to buy from him yeah cos the market cooperative were tribalistic...so my dad just abandoned it hoping till sometime later we get to see beyond being Igbo and yoruba

3 Likes

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by NwaNimo1(m): 1:29pm On Jun 21, 2016
Monsanto agent?

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by obailala(m): 1:29pm On Jun 21, 2016
landinfo:

Boy, did u read where it was written that "she owns severa acres of land" which cost Millions of Naira
Gshun:

bros, she had money to invest. unemployed person cant buy a plot of land, let alone an acre
You don't necessarily need to 'own' the land before you can farm on it. Also, I believe we have 'big men' who can actually afford to buy the land if they wanted to buy it outright.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Naijapikin1: 1:30pm On Jun 21, 2016
Davinex:
And we complain of unemployment. SMH
when you don't see value in what u have, people with vision will take it from you.
It's time we clear the cobwebs.
will u shut that gutter u call a mouth!.. Is it everybody that must be a farmer? Abegi.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Austema(m): 1:30pm On Jun 21, 2016
Oh, is a big slap on our faces
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Pamelayoung: 1:30pm On Jun 21, 2016
And so? Where is the one she has harvested probably exporting to her country, how has it made tomatoes available in the market? Hypocrites everywhere

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by iyke484real(m): 1:30pm On Jun 21, 2016
Davinex:
when you don't see value in what u have, people with vision will take it from you.
we can't do it becuz there is no spare land, the only available land is for Fulani grazing Abi watin them call am? grin

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Etinosajay(m): 1:31pm On Jun 21, 2016
hopeforcharles:

Tell them oh, it seems everyone wants oil money. If I had my ways I will do this same agricultural stuffs esp planting

So what is blocking your way?

Tell us
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by obailala(m): 1:31pm On Jun 21, 2016
JayJustus:
can't really blame people looking for white collar jobs...I remember late last year my dad and his friend went into maize and tomato farming ...when he went to the market to sell his products at a cheaper rate they refused to buy from him yeah cos the market cooperative were tribalistic...so my dad just abandoned it hoping till sometime later we get to see beyond being Igbo and yoruba
This very same tribalism exists in the white collar job sector; so that's not really a good enough reason.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by amdoyin82(m): 1:31pm On Jun 21, 2016
veekid:
Nigerians can't farm
why? Oh! Cos we are lazy right?.. We all want to become millionare overnight. Dere is even one Igbira boy in my office who always emphasized on becoming wealthy by seeing bag filled with million dollars. We all want to make money like chukwudi not knowing d risk chukwudi has faced.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by deleo16(m): 1:31pm On Jun 21, 2016
goodlifehyd:
Most Nigerians want to get rich the easy way, while some believe without an 8 to 5 job they can't make it in life

Think out of the box, just imagine lin
1000 like
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by HandOfChukwu: 1:31pm On Jun 21, 2016
obailala:
Even if it means feeding you, employing you and boosting our economy in general?
I employ myself, I'm not a lazy, uneducated person. Allowing foreigners to own African land is never a good thing, ask our Zulu friends down south, they will tell you. If Nigerians are so sad and pathetic that they can't operate a simple tomato farm then we might as well be allow ourselves to be re-colonised.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by micktoxin(m): 1:32pm On Jun 21, 2016
I emailed her last year with the intention of investing in her business. I won't say more about the progress of the talks.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by IAMJojo(m): 1:33pm On Jun 21, 2016
Its no mean feat what she has amcomplish but u need to undastand its diff scenario,i knw many guys n girls alike who have similar goals bt dis naija system wouldnt allow,how many banks would grant u loans to start up little business,its d system nt d youths,nigerian youths are handworking people,give them a chance u will c them flourish.
Lets pray d system changes

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by obailala(m): 1:34pm On Jun 21, 2016
Pamelayoung:
And so? Where is the one she has harvested probably exporting to her country, how has it made tomatoes available in the market? Hypocrites everywhere
What sort of reasoning is this?... Are you sure you know the meaning of the word 'hypocrite' which you just used now?.... How is it your business what she intends to use her tomatoes for?.... and how do you expect 1 tomato farmer to bridge the tomato supply gap in the entire country?..

5 Likes

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by dominique(f): 1:35pm On Jun 21, 2016
veekid:
Nigerians can't farm

It's not that they can't farm, they just don't want to.
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by jesuspikinjp(m): 1:35pm On Jun 21, 2016
HandOfChukwu:
Oyibos shouldn't be allowed to own land in Africa.

i was going to ask who sell the land to her
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Davecafary(m): 1:35pm On Jun 21, 2016
It all boils down to your passion. Yea, she's an Harvard graduate but she has passion for farming couple with her the entrepreneurial skill she has. So it's not about Nigerian can't farm, you just need to do more research and you will discover a lot of farmers here in Nigeria especially in the area of fisheries. If I don't have passion for farming you don't expect me to go into it..
veekid:
Nigerians can't farm

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Etinosajay(m): 1:35pm On Jun 21, 2016
Davinex:

Many Nigerian graduates and researchers are doing this. Especially graduates of agriculture and independent minded entrepreneurs.

This is only news because she is white and an American.

How many reporters, bloggers, take their pen/paper, camera looking for Nigerians doing this? None, because it's not news.

Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Jacko01: 1:36pm On Jun 21, 2016
Please end the tomato ebola in nigeria

Rili impressive
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Izontubo(m): 1:37pm On Jun 21, 2016
men...this is impressive....
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by teampregar(m): 1:38pm On Jun 21, 2016
Welcomme:
I swear I hav lost passion for education. To me, it is no longer useful. A secondary school eduction is okay so that one can read and write.
You are very right as far as one can read and write dats all, education does not only lies beyond d boundry of a university, u only go to university to specialize so u can get a job, but Nigerians will never have dis mindset, them take am sey person a no go university nah illeterate.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Muyoatlanta(m): 1:38pm On Jun 21, 2016
Gshun:

bros, she had money to invest. unemployed person cant buy a plot of land, let alone an acre
the point is its not the lack of money that is the problem, it's the lack of vision....our people don't want to put 1 on 1 but eager for 1 over 50 when God has given them strength for 1 over 1....that same Lady may have had only 1500 pound but perhaps she used her education to write her vision on paper to a bank that bought into it. So let's start small ; even if you can invest 60k into an idea. Go ahead. Just saying.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by teampregar(m): 1:38pm On Jun 21, 2016
Welcomme:
You are very right as far as one can read and write dats all, education does not only lies beyond d boundry of a university, u only go to university to specialize so u can get a job, but Nigerians will never have dis mindset, them take am sey person wey no go university nah illeterate.

1 Like

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by ademate(m): 1:38pm On Jun 21, 2016
We are all guilt of these laziness and lack of vision, everyone want to make money, buy big houses around world, have thousand cars. But it is difficult for a nigerian millionaire to buy acres of lands to promote agriculture. Rather they all want to be oil dealer, collecting subsidy. Niger Delta oil is only resource and office job we are looking for. Among d commentator is agitating that oyinbo should have a parcel of land in nigeria. That is one of bad orientation Nigerian youth has grown up with, his father do not have a reasonable source income, he/she is living in poverty, he is fighting for d land that he/she never a plan on how make use of it. If all Oyinbos we even take over Nigeria as whole and we all return to colonial era maybe we wake up from dreams.

2 Likes

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by stagger: 1:39pm On Jun 21, 2016
Davinex:

In her country, it costs less than 1% to borrow money from the bank. In your country, it costs 28% to do same from commercial bank, and 10% to 15% from microfinance bank.

In her country, she can get a credit card, pay off the fees month by month, and defer paying the principal until her tomato farm yields in 3 months. In your country, your banks charge you all manner of fees to keep money with them.

In her country, the US govt sent $500 to every American during the global financial crisis to stimulate spending and boost their economy. In your country, Buhari cannot even honour his party's promise to pay $17.86 (N5,000) to unemployed and vulnerable Nigerians.

In her country, the government subsides agriculture heavily and gives their farmers access to guaranteed markets. In your country, your agric minister wants to import grass and fodder from Brazil to feed cows and also to do away with fertilizer subsidy.

You want me to go on and on? A Nigerian and an American are not on the same level when it comes to access to things that make life better.

14 Likes

Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Dsrooftiles: 1:41pm On Jun 21, 2016
Okay
Re: Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria by Etinosajay(m): 1:41pm On Jun 21, 2016
dominique:

It's not that they can't farm, they just don't want to.

What gives you such impression?

You personally, have you ever considered farming? No. Will you ever? Absolutely not, because every one has different contributions to make in the society.

This is just a case of everybody wants to sell bread because olajumoke became famous for selling bread.

There are numerous hardworking young men both graduates and non graduates tilling the soil commercially and adding food to the country's basket, that you are unaware of. Because it's not news.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dwarf Plantian sucker and dwarf banana sucker is available. / Photos Of An Igbo Herdswoman Who Is A UNN Graduate / How I Converted My Piece Of Land To Money (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.