Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:51 AM

I Built My Own House After Following Some Of Nairalanders' Advice - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / I Built My Own House After Following Some Of Nairalanders' Advice (54748 Views)

Chinese Man Moves His House After Government Threatened To Demolish It (photos) / Tenants Flee House After 10 Co-tenants Died In Two Years (photo) / Ambode Introduces Rent-to-own House Policy In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Built My Own House After Following Some Of Nairalanders' Advice by jmichlins(m): 3:27pm On Jun 23, 2016
DedeNkem:

Believing in fictitious story of Adam makes you look more stupid.
mr wisdom i dey my own and you come my way oh
Re: I Built My Own House After Following Some Of Nairalanders' Advice by DedeNkem: 3:52pm On Jun 23, 2016
jmichlins:
mr wisdom i dey my own and you come my way oh

If you don't want anyone to respond to your post, then leave Nairaland. That way no one would know you exist.
Re: I Built My Own House After Following Some Of Nairalanders' Advice by khayceee1: 4:59pm On Jun 23, 2016
byna:
Completed mine last month. Approx 120days from foundation to move in. Thank God for his blessings
These looks good

Nice one bro
Re: I Built My Own House After Following Some Of Nairalanders' Advice by khayceee1: 5:03pm On Jun 23, 2016
davit:
Hello fellow Nairalanders. About a year ago, I came on this forum to complain about a neighbour of mine who was very cantankerous and inhuman in dealing with other neighbours. All sorts of advice were given then. And one of the pieces of advice was that I should go and build my own place if possible.

Here is the link to the complaint: [url]https://www.nairaland.com/2172824/neighbour-disturbs-me-generator
[/url]

I ruminated on this advice and after a while decided to give it a shot. It wasn't really funny at the initial stage. But to God be the glory today, I have moved to my own house - a four bedroom flat in a very nice environment. Attached are some of the pictures of the house.

Thanks to all those who rendered help then. I so much love this forum.

Congrats bro

1 Like

Re: I Built My Own House After Following Some Of Nairalanders' Advice by damselsdezire(f): 6:43pm On Jun 23, 2016
hapi 4 u....God bless!

1 Like

Re: I Built My Own House After Following Some Of Nairalanders' Advice by davit: 7:16pm On Jun 23, 2016
philclem:
.......The responses to the question is what I am actually waititng for! I could be next you know #congrats bro!

Once again, thanks to you all for rejoicing with me. There are so many questions asked that I dont even know where to start. Well, for those asking for location, it is in Lagos, around Iju-Ishaga, Agege axis. I cant reveal more than that for security reason.
As regards the cost of building, I will say something around 11million. This is so owing to the quality of the materials used for the house, most especially the interior decor. I could have spent something less, like 9million. Each room is ensuite with modern day facilities.
I used around 150 bags of cement alone to do plastering. Dont ask me if artisans did not cheat me.I was my own engineer. I was always on the ground to monitor everything happening on my site.
You can use less depending on how solid you want your wall to be.I need to add that there are 2 gates in the house. Both cost around 200k

For those who think that I have the money, so no need to say that I was pushed to do this. Well, lemme tell you that when the work began, I had around 3million naira. And that was meant to buy a half plot of land at Obawole, Fagba. The plan then was to just buy the land and see what could come up for the development. But the land I wanted to buy was sold to someone else . I never knew the Lord already had a better place for us that wont cost that much. I got the land, about a plot, for less than 2 million.

This project is a testimony in many ways. Shortly after getting the land, my mind was always there. And the fear that Omo oniles could take over if not developed made me begin the work. It wasnt really easy. Omo oniles were on my neck 24/7. But I was told then that house builds itself. Beyond my imagination, lines began to fall for me in pleasant places. I got help that could make the work progress. I got a better job and the likes. It is a long story. But one fact I remember then was that my meal was more or less once in a day. Most times it was beans! grin grin The fear of omo oniles too has now reduced.

May I add that the thougt of having my own place never occured to me at all until when that neighbour of mine was making life difficult for me. And of course, some Nairalanders suggested I get my own place. It was initially funny to me. But at the same time I decided to give it a try.

For those talking about taste, HMMMM, I can see that you dont know what it takes to get here. I could have made the exterior more colourful than that though, but if you know what is called security and the environment you find yourself, you will not dare do what will make your house kinda attractive to some bad guys. Most houses around mine dont even have their exteriors painted. I agree with those who suggested colour combination. I can work on that at anytime. Painting is more or less the easiest part of building.

I just finished doing the interlocking. May I let all know that you cant finish building your own house. There will be need to do adjustments every now and then.

I hope I have been able to do justice to some of the questions asked. Thanks once again for your inquisitiveness. May the Lord build good houses for us all.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Built My Own House After Following Some Of Nairalanders' Advice by sleemoon(m): 9:40pm On Jun 23, 2016
davit:

Once again, thanks to you all for rejoicing with me. There are so many questions asked that I dont even know where to start. Well, for those asking for location, it is in Lagos, around Iju-Ishaga, Agege axis. I cant reveal more than that for security reason.
As regards the cost of building, I will say something around 11million. This is so owing to the quality of the materials used for the house, most especially the interior decor. I could have spent something less, like 9million. Each room is ensuite with modern day facilities.
I used around 150 bags of cement alone to do plastering. Dont ask me if artisans did not cheat me.I was my own engineer. I was always on the ground to monitor everything happening on my site.
You can use less depending on how solid you want your wall to be.I need to add that there are 2 gates in the house. Both cost around 200k

For those who think that I have the money, so no need to say that I was pushed to do this. Well, lemme tell you that when the work began, I had around 3million naira. And that was meant to buy a half plot of land at Obawole, Fagba. The plan then was to just buy the land and see what could come up for the development. But the land I wanted to buy was sold to someone else . I never knew the Lord already had a better place for us that wont cost that much. I got the land, about a plot, for less than 2 million.

This project is a testimony in many ways. Shortly after getting the land, my mind was always there. And the fear that Omo oniles could take over if not developed made me begin the work. It wasnt really easy. Omo oniles were on my neck 24/7. But I was told then that house builds itself. Beyond my imagination, lines began to fall me in pleasant places. I got help that could make the work progress. I got a better job and the likes. It is a long story. But one fact I remember then was that my meal was more or less once in a day. Most times it was beans! grin grin The fear of omo oniles too has now reduced.

May I add that the thougt of having my own place never occured to me at all until when that neighbour of mine was making life difficult for me. And of course, some Nairalanders suggested I get my own place. It was initially funny to me. But at the same time I decided to give it a try.

For those talking about taste, HMMMM, I can see that you dont know what it takes to get here. I could have made the exterior more colourful than that though, but if you know what is called security and the environment you find yourself, you will not dare do what will make your house kinda attractive to some bad guys. Most houses around mine dont even have their exteriors painted. I agree with those who suggested colour combination. I can work on that at anytime. Painting is more or less the easiest part of building.

I just finished doing the interlocking. May I let all know that you cant finish building your own house. There will be need to do adjustments every now and then.

I hope I have been able to do justice to some of the questions asked. Thanks once again for your inquisitiveness. May the Lord build good houses for us all.

Thanks boss... God bless awa hustle

1 Like

Re: I Built My Own House After Following Some Of Nairalanders' Advice by philclem(m): 11:46am On Jun 24, 2016
davit:

This project is a testimony in many ways. Shortly after getting the land, my mind was always there. And the fear that Omo oniles could take over if not developed made me begin the work. It wasnt really easy. Omo oniles were on my neck 24/7. But I was told then that house builds itself. Beyond my imagination, lines began to fall me in pleasant places. I got help that could make the work progress. I got a better job and the likes. It is a long story. But one fact I remember then was that my meal was more or less once in a day. Most times it was beans! grin grin The fear of omo oniles too has now reduced.

well said! And I find your write up informative.......thanks and God bless us all

1 Like

Re: I Built My Own House After Following Some Of Nairalanders' Advice by Rexnegro(m): 4:16pm On Jun 25, 2016
davit:
Hello fellow Nairalanders. About a year ago, I came on this forum to complain about a neighbour of mine who was very cantankerous and inhuman in dealing with other neighbours. All sorts of advice were given then. And one of the pieces of advice was that I should go and build my own place if possible.

Here is the link to the complaint: [url]https://www.nairaland.com/2172824/neighbour-disturbs-me-generator
[/url]

I ruminated on this advice and after a while decided to give it a shot. It wasn't really funny at the initial stage. But to God be the glory today, I have moved to my own house - a four bedroom flat in a very nice environment. Attached are some of the pictures of the house.

Thanks to all those who rendered help then. I so much love this forum.

I commend Your effort I must say...nice work bro. Baba God remember me too o, can't wait to Have ours with my lovely, one in a million lady. I love You favour. Mr Hope Am happy for You And thank God You did The right tin at The end of The day.

1 Like

Re: I Built My Own House After Following Some Of Nairalanders' Advice by dadaisbae: 7:24pm On Jul 25, 2016
davit:

This project is a testimony in many ways. Shortly after getting the land, my mind was always there. And the fear that Omo oniles could take over if not developed made me begin the work. It wasnt really easy. Omo oniles were on my neck 24/7. But I was told then that house builds itself. Beyond my imagination, lines began to fall for me in pleasant places. I got help that could make the work progress. I got a better job and the likes. It is a long story. But one fact I remember then was that my meal was more or less once in a day. Most times it was beans! grin grin The fear of omo oniles too has now reduced.

Congrats bro and i can relate with all you have said....especially the "beans" part grin. Please can you help with an estimate of the cost of plumbing and the POP. i noticed the ceiling is POP too.

May God Bless our hustle
Re: I Built My Own House After Following Some Of Nairalanders' Advice by true2home(m): 8:00pm On Jul 25, 2016
excellent my brother. you did very well and God will enable you to enjoy and build more in the near future. you will never know how much you have inspired people by just doing this project!!! NL is help Nigeria as a whole close the home shortage

davit:

Re: I Built My Own House After Following Some Of Nairalanders' Advice by evoama4all: 4:11pm On Nov 08, 2018
I need a building plan for a bungalow with
Five (5) bedroom bungalow all room en-suit.....
Features :
Ground Floor:
Car port
ante - room
Visitor's toilet
Guest room
Main lounge
Dining
Kitchen
Store
laundry
Gymnas
Private lounge
Study room
bedrooms

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FLOORING: WHICH TILE SHOULD I GO FOR? AN ADVICE / Ikoyi Building Collapse: Onyinye Enekwe Dies One Month To Her Wedding / Omemma Ojoto: Meet The Igbo Man Developing The Biggest Estate In VGC Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.