Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,987 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? (2405 Views)

Imo Black Cab: Innoson Buses Replace Keke In Owerri (Photos) / LASG Unveils Buses That Will Replace Danfo Buses - AjayiWrites.com / Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by Flyingman(m): 9:11am On Jun 23, 2016
I have been having shifting issues on my car with no registered trans codes. Changed the gear sensors, still no luck. Had my car scanned a million times. Engine brings up these errors:
P2229 Barometer pressure sensor(located in the ECU)
P0135 o2 sensosr(changed this but error still persist)

Took it for a transmission repair (still shifting poorly from first gear to 2 but now with errors, P0722, P0780, P1734)

My concern now is, the engine errors signifies something isn't well with the ECU (P2229 cause from research is an outdated or faulty ECU) and replacing the trans might not be the total fix for it. Any advice and how much can I get the ECM/PCM for a 2008 Honda Accord
Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by stephcruse(m): 9:52am On Jun 23, 2016
P0722 is refering to output shaft sensor(no signal)
solution -locate output shaft
2-check the wire if is not broken
3-check if the conetor is conected
4-change the sensor and rescan.
Let work on that first,you can also call for more info 08023284076 good lock
Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jun 23, 2016
Replacing the ECU is less expensive, laborious and complication-prone, and might be the cause of your transmission issues. I will start from there given those two options. As per cost, I have no idea but you can create a thread for that purpose or ask GAZZUZZ, honmusa et. al.
What type of work was done on your gearbox?
Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by Flyingman(m): 10:57pm On Jun 23, 2016
0rex:
Replacing the ECU is less expensive, laborious and complication-prone, and might be the cause of your transmission issues. I will start from there given those two options. As per cost, I have no idea but you can create a thread for that purpose or ask GAZZUZZ, honmusa et. al.
What type of work was done on your gearbox?

Thanks for the response. They cleaned the valve body, changed the solenoid switches, flushed trans oil. I guess the ecm/pcm has been touched. Check engine light has never shown since I got the car.

1 Like

Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by Flyingman(m): 10:59pm On Jun 23, 2016
stephcruse:
P0722 is refering to output shaft sensor(no signal)
solution -locate output shaft
2-check the wire if is not broken
3-check if the conetor is conected
4-change the sensor and rescan.
Let work on that first,you can also call for more info 08023284076 good lock

Before servicing, that sensor was working perfectly with no error code. No harm in changing it. Thanks
Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jun 23, 2016
Flyingman:

Thanks for the response. They cleaned the valve body, changed the solenoid switches, flushed trans oil. I guess the ecm/pcm has been touched. Check engine light has never shown since I got the car.
Does the light come on before ignition?
Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by kkulaja(m): 12:21am On Jun 24, 2016
Flyingman:

Before servicing, that sensor was working perfectly with no error code. No harm in changing it. Thanks

Your problem might actually be ECU as Orex has said,and u should noyt have allowed them touch the valve body.
Quick one,
1.Did u scan the car before the valve body was worked on?
2. If yes what error codes did u get?

Ur problem might have been the ECU and the kazeem dat tampered the gearbox might have compounded the problem.

Now way 4ward.if u scanned the car b4 the gearbox was tampered & the errors codes u got were ECU related,then change the ECU by driving to the market close to you where can get access to many ECUs to trouble shoot wit and u might still have to change D gear

1 Like

Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by mayor2013: 7:14am On Jun 24, 2016
P2229- this a code traced down to your barometric pressure sensor(also called map sensor) yours should be located at the tip of the throttle body, check for a bad connection if all is fine change the sensor. Your barometer pressure sensor is not located in the ecu.

P0722. This code means there is a problem with your outspeed shaft sensor. The sensor is located directly on the transmission. What it does it monitors the speed @ which the transmission is and transfers that information to the ecu which is in turn seen on your instrument panel. Your speedometer might malfunction. The last two codes came up as a result of your mechanic. He has messed up things. If you are in lagos reach multi autolab for a solution on 08165520837 or 08156087872

1 Like

Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by Flyingman(m): 7:21am On Jun 24, 2016
0rex:
Does the light come on before ignition?

None at all.
Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by Flyingman(m): 7:26am On Jun 24, 2016
kkulaja:

Your problem might actually be ECU as Orex has said,and u should noyt have allowed them touch the valve body.
Quick one,
1.Did u scan the car before the valve body was worked on?
2. If yes what error codes did u get?

Ur problem might have been the ECU and the kazeem dat tampered the gearbox might have compounded the problem.

Now way 4ward.if u scanned the car b4 the gearbox was tampered & the errors codes u got were ECU related,then change the ECU by driving to the market close to you where can get access to many ECUs to trouble shoot wit and u might still have to change D gear

Yes. Scan didn't bring up any errors but car was flaring when accelerating from gear 1 to 2 with no blinking D light. The gear oil was checked, changed and certified okay. Everyone I met kept saying its internal to the gearbox not the sensors since no errors was showing up in the scan.
Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by Flyingman(m): 7:30am On Jun 24, 2016
mayor2013:
P2229- this a code traced down to your barometric pressure sensor(also called map sensor) yours should be located at the tip of the throttle body, check for a bad connection if all is fine change the sensor. Your barometer pressure sensor is not located in the ecu.

P0722. This code means there is a problem with your outspeed shaft sensor. The sensor is located directly on the transmission. What it does it monitors the speed @ which the transmission is and transfers that information to the ecu which is in turn seen on your instrument panel. Your speedometer might malfunction. The last two codes came up as a result of your mechanic. He has messed up things. If you are in lagos reach multi autolab for a solution on 08165520837 or 08156087872

Unfortunately I am in Abuja.

Check the P2229 here, it's in the ECU http://www.autocodes.com/p2229_honda.html
Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by luvinhubby(m): 7:54am On Jun 24, 2016
Unfortunately bros, that 2008 accord gear issues are often traced to ECUs more often & your best option maybe to meet a toks ECU dealer and collect one from him and install in your vehicle, if issues are solved, you pay, if not you return his 'market' to him & save up for a gear.

A faulty shaft speed semsor triggers the D light blinking, that may not be a major cause of the gear problem.
Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by Nobody: 8:48am On Jun 24, 2016
Flyingman:

None at all.
The light might have been intentionally disconnected or damaged. It is supposed to come on when the key is on before engine starts.
Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by mayor2013: 9:02am On Jun 24, 2016
0rex:
The light might have been intentionally disconnected or damaged. It is supposed to come on when the key is on before engine starts.

I don't think so. If the op's own is the Japanese model that version hardly comes up with the check engine light. Worked on one recently and the check light never came up but on first ignition it did with bountiful of fault errors grin
Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by Nobody: 10:12am On Jun 24, 2016
mayor2013:

I don't think so. If the op's own is the Japanese model that version hardly comes up with the check engine light. Worked on one recently and the check light never came up but on first ignition it did with bountiful of fault errors grin
Oh..ok
Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by Flyingman(m): 3:18pm On Jun 24, 2016
luvinhubby:
Unfortunately bros, that 2008 accord gear issues are often traced to ECUs more often & your best option maybe to meet a toks ECU dealer and collect one from him and install in your vehicle, if issues are solved, you pay, if not you return his 'market' to him & save up for a gear.

A faulty shaft speed semsor triggers the D light blinking, that may not be a major cause of the gear problem.

Thanks boss. I am going to change the ECU and see what happens. I am very open right now to have the gear replaced but everything shifts fine on highway driving and most times street driving but the flaring just happens once in a while.
Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by Flyingman(m): 7:42pm On Jun 28, 2016
You guys are the best. This forum is the best thing that can ever happen to a Nigerian. All the technicians I've met kept saying new gearbox or rebuild. I nearly took a deep into my account to get a new gearbox.

I just changed the ECU and believe you me, all issue from engine to transmission has miraculously disappeared. Car runs smooth, quiet and fast now.

Many thanks guys.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by stirlingteco: 12:45pm On Dec 03, 2018
hello house my car is Kia Rio 2014 and i have been having issues with overheating, surprisingly the temperature on the dashboard does not rise above normal but one or two coils got burnt. my mechanics said is brain box issue and we repaired it yet just after 3 weeks same problem re-occur again. please what is the way forward. I am afraid this issue might not be brain box.
Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by olumide4christ: 6:39pm On Dec 03, 2018
stirlingteco:
hello house my car is Kia Rio 2014 and i have been having issues with overheating, surprisingly the temperature on the dashboard does not rise above normal but one or two coils got burnt. my mechanics said is brain box issue and we repaired it yet just after 3 weeks same problem re-occur again. please what is the way forward. I am afraid this issue might not be brain box.

Check for Gazzuzz here on Nairaland..he will be able to sort you out.

Cc Gazzuzz
Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by DECOtech(m): 10:10pm On Dec 03, 2018
stirlingteco:

I don't see the relationship between overheating and burnt coils. These are two different issues. And please open a fresh thread for your complaint. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Advice: Replace Transmission Or ECU? by cyborg123(m): 10:56am On Dec 04, 2018
stirlingteco:

Your car is not overheating. The burnt coils seems to be a known issue with your brand of vehicle.

You still need to replace the coils. I advise you to learn how to do the replacement and have some spare coils in your car at all times. Or if you are DIY-savvy, open one of the burnt coils, take some readings, then we can see if playing around with some resistors on the line going to the coils will solve the problem.

(1) (Reply)

BMW X5 - Good For A First Time Female Owner? / Help Me Decide. Range Rover Sport , Lexus GX470,Acura MDX or Mitsubishi Endeavor / Car U Wish 2 Drive Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.