Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,231 members, 7,849,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:30 AM

Commentary: "Open Your Minds, America" - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Commentary: "Open Your Minds, America" (1876 Views)

Kurdi’s Christmas Message; Open Your Doors To Syrians / Live Commentary On The Election / The African Union Only Exists In The Minds Of Blacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Commentary: "Open Your Minds, America" by 4Play(m): 8:07pm On Sep 08, 2009
chic2pimp:

The only time the sun newspaper has ever backed labour was in 1997 and to honest with you this peculiar step was only taken to save face. Two month prior to the general election held in 1997,the sun newspaper urged his reader to vote tory. A month later when they realised there was no chance of the conservative winning the election,they switched allegiance. THEY HAD NO CHOICE

No choice? That's nonsense. Can you imagine FoxNews supporting the Democrats because Republicans have no chance of winning? Since when did newspapers have an obligation to support the likely winners.

Readership of both the Times and The Sun is finely balanced. I would presume the same applies to SkyNews. It's silly to presume that because SkyNews is owned by Murdoch, it's right wing. Ofcom wouldn't even allow slanted domestic news on TV like you get with FoxNews.
Re: Commentary: "Open Your Minds, America" by chic2pimp(m): 8:25pm On Sep 08, 2009
4 Play:

No choice? That's nonsense. Can you imagine FoxNews supporting the Democrats because Republicans have no chance of winning? Since when did newspapers have an obligation to support the likely winners.

The U.K has a different way of doing things. Besides those newspaper were only printing what sold @ that time. 'The New Labour' as they were known back then was big business. Its was no coincidence that as soon as the sun came out in support of labour, they experienced an increase in sale.
4 Play:

Readership of both the Times and The Sun is finely balanced. I would presume the same applies to SkyNews. It's silly to presume that because SkyNews is owned by Murdoch, it's right wing. Ofcom wouldn't even allow slanted domestic news on TV like you get with FoxNews.
Oh really? undecided undecided. Okay Assuming what u said was true,does ofcom allow slanted domestic and internatinal news on BBC?
Re: Commentary: "Open Your Minds, America" by 4Play(m): 8:56pm On Sep 08, 2009
chic2pimp:

The U.K has a different way of doing things. Besides those newspaper were only printing what sold @ that time. 'The New Labour' as they were known back then was big business. Its was no coincidence that as soon as the sun came out in support of labour, they experienced an increase in sale.

If it was 'obligatory' to endorse Labour, the Daily Mail would have endorsed Labour. Or were they not chasing bigger sales too? I hope you know the Sun achieved its best sales prior to endorsing Labour.

Okay Assuming what u said was true,does ofcom allow slanted domestic and internatinal news on BBC?

The BBC's left wing slant is mainly in its coverage of foreign affairs. I think it's quite naive to underestimate the clout of the BBC. Ofcom is more likely to come down like a ton of bricks on Sky and ITV.
Re: Commentary: "Open Your Minds, America" by Tudor6(f): 10:04pm On Sep 08, 2009
mazaje:

Fox news shocked :oTudor you be sean hannity cousin?  abi you sef be conservative right winger. . . grin grin
grin ha ha.
I'm purely centre right when it comes to the goverment i.e free trade, free market et al.
But for other issues like abortion, religion, science and co i'm leftist except for the death penalty where i'm totally PRO. . . . grin cheesy
Re: Commentary: "Open Your Minds, America" by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 10, 2009
The United Kingdom definitely has the best and fairest news channel. The BBC is totally unbiased

is this a joke?

@ topic

did anyone catch Obama's speech yesterday? Cant wait to see how all this wraps up.
Re: Commentary: "Open Your Minds, America" by JeSoul(f): 6:30pm On Sep 10, 2009
tpia.:

@ topic

did anyone catch Obama's speech yesterday? Cant wait to see how all this wraps up.

Yeah I caught a good chunk of it and I thought it was a well written and delivered speech. As 'nice' as it sounded, I don't think too many Americans were listening/watching last night. Congress looked like a bunch of bratty 5yr olds the way it was split with democrats giving a standing ovation every other minute and republicans all seated with annoyed disgusted looks . . . and these are our lawmakers?

My default position on all political matters including healthcare is that they are all lying (dem and rep alike) we just have to figure out who's lying less to us.
Re: Commentary: "Open Your Minds, America" by Ibime(m): 6:52pm On Sep 10, 2009
Whos that motherphocker who so rudely interrupted Mr Presidents speech?
Re: Commentary: "Open Your Minds, America" by JeSoul(f): 6:58pm On Sep 10, 2009
another one of the airheads on Capitol Hill obviously unaware or uneducated (I'm inclined towards the latter) on how to conduct oneself in a public setting.

(1) (2) (Reply)

88 Year Old Beji Caid Essebsi, Sworn In As The President Of Tunisia. / US: Rat Falls From White House Ceiling, Lands On NBC Reporter’s Lap / Russian Tanks And Military Vehicles Are Flying USSR Flags Inside Ukraine. (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.