Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,917 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

An Effective Way Of Becoming A Great Listener - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / An Effective Way Of Becoming A Great Listener (644 Views)

Best And The Most Effective Way To Woe A Girl / How To Become A Better Listener / Nigerians And Their Respective Way Of Thinking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Effective Way Of Becoming A Great Listener by xtgozie(m): 6:53pm On Jun 26, 2016
Jack, Jill and Jane met at a cafeteria on a cool evening.

Jack started up “Jane, you were not present at the party, it was superb and a lot of dignitaries were present. It started very early quite unlike…

Jill cut in “The CEO was present, the richest man in town was surprisingly present…”

Jack raised his voice in order to complete up his part on how the party commenced while Jill had to raise his also to list the attendees.

Have you been in a conversation where someone is trying to recount an event to someone, an event in which you were a witness to? Or someone tries to explain a subject matter to another of which you are an expert in? What is your first thought and feeling?

Well, unknowingly, it is usual to feel that the speaker might not give a great description as you would do. This makes us, just like the story above, to immediately form our own part of the story and blurt it out not minding interrupting the speaker. This is a scenario of indirect conversation.

Have you been in a situation in which someone tries to recount a story or explain a subject matter directly to you and you have a good knowledge of such? What is your first reaction (mentally/vocally/physically) to it? Do you form a mental version of your own story? Do you speak out thus interrupting the speaker?

One natural thing I noticed, having listened to a lot of speakers, is that any form of interruption cause them to raise their voices even though it might be one-on-one conversation.

From the moment we suppress that urge to voice out our own version, hold back from interrupting the speaker, let our own mental version of the story fade away and concentrate on the speaker, we will start to become better listeners. We can now talk after the speaker has finished!

https://shimonkepha./2016/06/08/an-effective-way-of-becoming-a-great-listener/comment-page-1/#comment-85

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Effective Way Of Becoming A Great Listener by Estrel(m): 8:15pm On Jun 26, 2016
This article is good. Listening is something quite difficult for a lot of people I have come across.
Sometimes I find myself guilty of trying to complete other people's statement.

1 Like

Re: An Effective Way Of Becoming A Great Listener by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jun 22, 2017
Nice article.
Re: An Effective Way Of Becoming A Great Listener by microjoystick: 5:11pm On Jun 22, 2017
xtgozie:
Jack, Jill and Jane met at a cafeteria on a cool evening.

Jack started up “Jane, you were not present at the party, it was superb and a lot of dignitaries were present. It started very early quite unlike…

Jill cut in “The CEO was present, the richest man in town was surprisingly present…”

Jack raised his voice in order to complete up his part on how the party commenced while Jill had to raise his also to list the attendees.

Have you been in a conversation where someone is trying to recount an event to someone, an event in which you were a witness to? Or someone tries to explain a subject matter to another of which you are an expert in? What is your first thought and feeling?

Well, unknowingly, it is usual to feel that the speaker might not give a great description as you would do. This makes us, just like the story above, to immediately form our own part of the story and blurt it out not minding interrupting the speaker. This is a scenario of indirect conversation.

Have you been in a situation in which someone tries to recount a story or explain a subject matter directly to you and you have a good knowledge of such? What is your first reaction (mentally/vocally/physically) to it? Do you form a mental version of your own story? Do you speak out thus interrupting the speaker?

One natural thing I noticed, having listened to a lot of speakers, is that any form of interruption cause them to raise their voices even though it might be one-on-one conversation.

From the moment we suppress that urge to voice out our own version, hold back from interrupting the speaker, let our own mental version of the story fade away and concentrate on the speaker, we will start to become better listeners. We can now talk after the speaker has finished!

https://shimonkepha./2016/06/08/an-effective-way-of-becoming-a-great-listener/comment-page-1/#comment-85
pliss can diss epp me to listen to my bae because I am always do programming

(1) (Reply)

. / Omg! Terrified Woman Finds Deadly Brown Snake Inside Her Favourite Boots (photos / Why You Will Forever Stay In The Toilet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.