Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,095 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

The Icelandic Naming System - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Icelandic Naming System (846 Views)

Alaafin Of Oyo To Hold The Naming Ceremony Of His Two Set Of Twins On Same Day / Naming Ceremony Of Alaafin Of Oyo's Twins With Memunat (Photos) / Naming System Of The Anioma People Of Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Icelandic Naming System by AikayDaWrapper(m): 4:05am On Jun 28, 2016
Just thought I'd put this here due to a lot a people asking why they all have "son" in their names during the England match last night:

A man named Jón Einarsson has a son named Ólafur. Ólafur’s last name will not be Einarsson like his father’s; it will become Jónsson, literally indicating that Ólafur is the son of Jón (Jóns + son). The same practice is used for daughters. Jón Einarsson's daughter Sigríður’s last name would not be Einarsson but Jónsdóttir. Again, the name literally means "Jón’s daughter" (Jóns + dóttir).

In some cases, an individual’s surname is derived from a parent's middle name instead of the first name. For example, if Jón is the son of Hjálmar Arnar Vilhjálmsson he may either be named Jón Hjálmarsson (Jón, son of Hjálmar) or Jón Arnarsson (Jón, son of Arnar). The reason for this may be that the parent prefers to be called by the middle name instead of the first name; this is fairly common. It may also be that the parent’s middle name seems to fit the child’s first name better.

In cases where two people in the same social circle bear the same first name and the same father’s name, they have traditionally been distinguished by their paternal grandfather’s name, e.g. Jón Þórsson Bjarnarsonar (Jón, son of Þór, son of Bjarni) and Jón Þórsson Hallssonar (Jón, son of Þór, son of Hallur). This practice has now become less common (the use of middle names having replaced it), but features conspicuously in the Icelandic sagas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_name

2 Likes

Re: The Icelandic Naming System by WowSweetGuy(m): 4:19am On Jun 28, 2016
Cool
Re: The Icelandic Naming System by youngaz(m): 4:22am On Jun 28, 2016
Wich means if i shuld substitute it for my own case it'll b "Azeenson".......BRAVO!!! Wat a nice name guyz ao do i change my moniker jare just gat a nuu namegringringrin
OP gud job jare.....wikipedia always knowing d answer since time immemorial
Re: The Icelandic Naming System by nonjebose(m): 5:00am On Jun 28, 2016
Nonjeboson. Great
Re: The Icelandic Naming System by youngest85(m): 5:46am On Jun 28, 2016
Dem no get sense!
Re: The Icelandic Naming System by AikayDaWrapper(m): 10:16am On Jun 28, 2016
youngest85:
Dem no get sense!
Highly uncalled for.
Re: The Icelandic Naming System by jantavanta(m): 4:54pm On Jun 28, 2016
Interesting!

(1) (Reply)

Help! I Need A Nigerian Language Computer Keyboard / 5 Reasons Why Igbos Have Strong Business Acumen / Abarra, A Lost/forgotten Tribe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.