Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm (52866 Views)

Snake Wrapped Under A Gas Cylinder, As Man Raises Alarm / Earthquake Hits Sambang Dagi, Kaduna State / Earthquake Causes Panic In Bayelsa And Rivers States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by fortune1968: 2:49pm On Jun 28, 2016
SirVintageCock:
God undecided we ain't ready for this sh!t, try Japan or USA. Thanks. undecided
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by fortune1968: 2:50pm On Jun 28, 2016
SirVintageCock:
god want to know when u will be ready .
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Damfostopper(m): 2:52pm On Jun 28, 2016
Even in the next 1000years.... Earthquake can neva happen in nigeria.... Researchers my a$$
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Raph01: 2:58pm On Jun 28, 2016
Bimpe29:

Thank you jare, some people sabi confuse person. Are state and city not different for God sake?
U didnt read this comment b4 U commented abi?? U wanna book space and talk bull-dung shey? okay

Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Dav24(m): 3:02pm On Jun 28, 2016
Lykar:
Thank God warri is there. I need to experience what nature has to offer for once shuoo...no one shd call me crazy
Why wishing for a disaster? how sure are you that you will survive it if it happen?

1 Like

Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by moigem: 3:14pm On Jun 28, 2016
RIZLER:
earthquake is not synonymous with Africa
True.....but it can be induced as a result of stress on the crust.
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jun 28, 2016
I am impressed at your assessment of the story
cindybella101:
No source ?
Is port-harcourt and warri a state ?

Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Akinkunmi0777(m): 3:19pm On Jun 28, 2016
I haven't see the source, i will agree with the poster if i see the source.
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jun 28, 2016
Dav24:
Why wishing for a disaster? how sure are you that you will survive it if it happen?
I woke up dis morning isnt that enough to know that God still wants me here on earth?
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Raph01: 3:31pm On Jun 28, 2016
dammydrumz:
I am impressed at your assessment of the story
Birds of a feather... read the comment below so U'll get a lil' knowledge of wah de OP's tryna pass... fear no make una think straight or see well abi??

Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by paix(m): 4:04pm On Jun 28, 2016
Maybe this earthquake will be a unifying factor in this country. We kill ourselves over politics, religion, ethnicity etc. By the time we're confronted with a natural disaster, all of us will attack it headon without minding our differences.
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Jok3r(m): 4:31pm On Jun 28, 2016
Raph01:
The Nigerian Association of Water-Well Drilling Rig Owners and Practitioners (AWDROP) has called on the Federal Government to take measures that could reduce the effects of earthquake as 6 states with land-ocean boundaries exist at the risk of possible earthquake.

AWDROP, at a press conference addressed by its National President, Mr. Michael Ale, lamented that lack of Underground Water Abstraction Regulation in Nigeria could easily induce earthquake and sea water intrusion, “hence the need for government to ensure strict compliance in the implementation of code of practice in borehole drilling” in the country.

Ale said his Association had been informed of the salt water intrusion affecting underground water usage and subsidence along the land-ocean boundaries in shoreline areas. The areas are:

1. Lagos

2. Port-Harcourt

3. Warri

4. Bayelsa

5. Cross River State

Meanwhile, researchers from the Department of Geology, Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, led by Dr Adepelumi Adekunle Abraham, had submitted in its report titled ‘Preliminary Assessment of Earth Tremor Occurrence in Shaki Area, Shaki West Local Government, Oyo State, indicating an impending ‘damaging earthquake’ in the next four years.

Shaki, Oyo state completes the list.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/earthquake-alert-fg-states-urged-on-redemptive-measures/152949.html

its ok
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Adedeji2012(m): 5:01pm On Jun 28, 2016
SirVintageCock:
Oh boy you wicked small. Japan is already accustomed to quakes, dont wipe off the entire country.
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by adjoviomole(m): 5:26pm On Jun 28, 2016
centboy123456:

Are u sure mr are u telling us the true
i am sure bro no kidding
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jun 28, 2016
Complete and absolute rubbish! There has been no report of any 'earthquake' in Southern Nigeria in over 200 years.
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by adjoviomole(m): 5:28pm On Jun 28, 2016
Resurgence:

I'm referring to your grammar lipsrsealed
ok some days ago or few days back? smiley
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by adjoviomole(m): 5:29pm On Jun 28, 2016
franciskaine:
wen u win lottery of 10m for dream nko?

guy u wicked o.....make i no talk grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by ukandi1(m): 6:12pm On Jun 28, 2016
izzou:
God forbid this news

It is not Nigeria's portion

Amen
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by ukandi1(m): 6:16pm On Jun 28, 2016
vivvianne:
Complete and absolute rubbish! There has been no report of any 'earthquake' in Southern Nigeria in over 200 years.

That's true. But it doesn't negate d possibility. I am from cross river and would be glad to refute d claim but I know how badly affected our landscape is , due to deep gullies and water causing landslide.
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by jude90(m): 6:52pm On Jun 28, 2016
God will not allow that to happen in Jesus name.
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Mrbigman2: 7:28pm On Jun 28, 2016
I said it?

This country is wake.

And I guess ministry of water board is still getting paid while everyone is sipping off the earth coushin.

After extraction of oil, water is been used to replay same mass to maintain stability
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Onegai(f): 7:48pm On Jun 28, 2016
Lykar:
Thank God warri is there. I need to experience what nature has to offer for once shuoo...no one shd call me crazy

You don't want to. Trust me. You will feel very small....And helpless. I have and I wasn't sure what was going on until my mum said "it's an earthquake" and things started falling.

1 Like

Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Onegai(f): 7:56pm On Jun 28, 2016
olawalepopoola:
Dr. Adepelumi is a renowned geophysicist and seimologist. He taught me as an adjunct lecturer in LAUTECH. Nigeria is located on the eastern part of the west African craton located precisely in Ghana. This shows that our country is not 100 percent seismically stable. The RRF model of the separation of the South America and Africa culminated in the formation of a failed arm of a rift zone, which formed the Benue trough (Benue state is located on the Mid-Benue trough). If this third arm of the rift had been successful, Africa would have been divided into 2. All the states mentioned apart from Shaki, Oyo state are located around this failed arm of the rift zone, which may be on the way to be reactivated. As for the Shaki area, it is located on the major pegmatitic belt of Nigeria that trends from SW-NE and are majorly mineralized. Pegmatites are formed when magma intrudes a fault, cools and solidifies. So it is possible that this may also be reactivated. So it is advisable that the FG sets up seismic and awareness monitoring group to inform people about this. These regions if not monitored may be consumed and lost to "TECTONISM"

His report gives an estimated timeline of 4 years for Shaki, Oyo state. And I recall that there was a report that there were tremors in a SW state a few weeks ago. What's an estimate for Lagos and where exactly are they expecting it to hit?

I've experienced an earthquake and even though we were a few miles off the epicentre, the tremors were still very strong.

1 Like

Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jun 28, 2016
SirVintageCock:
na wa 4 u o
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Lolaabokoku(f): 7:59pm On Jun 28, 2016
God forbid
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by hatchy(f): 8:04pm On Jun 28, 2016
lovat:
Dear Lord don't send another plague to us again because El Dullardeen you cursed us with has made us to repent and seek your face again
You make me laf die.Which kin person you be sef!

1 Like

Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by maxzzo1(m): 8:26pm On Jun 28, 2016
They should go am research well dey don't know what dey are talking.... tongue
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by 0ubenji(m): 10:15pm On Jun 28, 2016
Afritop:
We have pastors so it wont happen
Yea..nice thought bro...
Uh..which pastors actuali if I may ask..
The ones dat stock up private jets nd build needless universities..OR ..the hardly existent ones who do the pastoring work actuali nd intercede for their beloved country in prayers??
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by guyXander(m): 10:35pm On Jun 28, 2016
RIZLER:
I dey laff.
I'm geologist and I'm laffing.
Earth is ever changing so no one is entirely safe.
Over night and bam, we become synonymous with earthquakes.
Remember that is tearing apart at the East Africa rift system (EARS).
Let's see if the geology of Africa has changed.
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by guyXander(m): 10:37pm On Jun 28, 2016
RIZLER:
I dey laff.
I'm geologist and I'm laffing.
Earth is ever changing so no one is entirely safe.
Over night and bam, we become synonymous with earthquakes.
Remember that is tearing apart at the East Africa rift system (EARS).
Let's see if the geology of Africa has changed.
It happened over night in Mexico through a volcanic eruption that created a mountain out of molten magma. And volcanic eruption and earthquake go hand in hand.
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jun 28, 2016
Onegai:

You don't want to. Trust me. You will feel very small....And helpless. I have and I wasn't sure what was going on until my mum said "it's an earthquake" and things started falling.
sorry
Re: 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm by Ryda(m): 11:04pm On Jun 28, 2016
SirVintageCock:

Bro that's a bad idea.. Think of something else

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

World’s Largest Shark Ever Caught / SA Man Scares Crocodiles Away By Flashing His Unclad Butts At Them (photos) / Young Man "Excited" As Snake Invades His House At Midnight In Enugu. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.