Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,247 members, 7,818,840 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Help! My Aunty Is Hiding Her HIV Status - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Help! My Aunty Is Hiding Her HIV Status (1296 Views)

HIV Status Is Indeterminate / Family Of 4 Show Their HIV Status: Wife Positive, Husband & Daughters Negative / Can An HIV Negative Woman And Her HIV Positive Partner Conceive Naturally? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Aunty Is Hiding Her HIV Status by edygistvilla(m): 11:45am On Jun 29, 2016
Since morning, I've been weary and emotionally drenched; weakened and battered by my thoughts.

This morning, As I approached the freezer to get a glass of water; I saw a polythene bag, packed haphazardly and carelessly behind it. It spurred my curiosity, as i got the polybag from the secluded area. Inside the bag contained a clinic card with my aunty's name on it and two small jar of a drug with the labelled 'ELAVIRENZ, LAMIVUDINE AND TENOFOVIR DISOPROXIL FUMARATE TABLETS'

I was puzzled and preplexed beyond limit because I've never heard of a drug with such a long name. So, I got my laptop did a brief research on google. Lo, and behold, the drug was associated with an intensive treatment for HIV patient and It could be used as an anti-retroviral vaccine.

I almost cried, not because I was concerned about her health but she might have shared sharp object like razor blade, kitchen knife and the likes with my mum, who is her immediate elder sister. She even uses my mum's sponge at times.

Fellow Nairalanders, I'm as confused as two dogs stuck. This lady has been living with us as a family for close to eighteen years and she choose to hide her health status from us, thus, putting the whole family in a very big risk. She's selfish because she cares about her reputation and choose not to disclose information as sensitive as this.

In as much as I don't wish to stigmatize her, what should I do? keeping mute is not an option. I don't want a big controversy and scandal brewing niether do I want animosity here and there. How do I secure the general health safety of my family without cursing trouble and wahala?

Please, I need your advice!
Re: Help! My Aunty Is Hiding Her HIV Status by Nobody: 11:51am On Jun 29, 2016
Best thing. Sit her down and tell her what you know. Be gentle and sound like a loving brother or sister. Let her know you will be there for her. If she eventually tell you the truth(Record your conversation).

But to be sincere, she's a wicked aunt to be sharing sponge with your mother. Make your decision.

Then you can just jokingly convince other member to go for test.

It's not easy to keep this kind secret, believe me.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Aunty Is Hiding Her HIV Status by playtheblues(f): 12:06pm On Jun 29, 2016
Your mum is your mum. She carried you for 9 months and nurtured you and still caters for you. You owe her loyalty above everybody else (except God).

Tell your mum your findings.

Do that asap.

Your aunt is mean by using your mum's sponge.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Aunty Is Hiding Her HIV Status by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jun 29, 2016
Let the Adults in the family picture know about this.
Then you all decide what to do from there. Hmmm.
Re: Help! My Aunty Is Hiding Her HIV Status by chocodaviva(f): 12:09pm On Jun 29, 2016
that is a huge secret to keep
first tin first : u urslf go and get screened for d virus to be sure d whole family has not been innocently polluted
2ndly: if n+v stylishly or anywhich way make sure u get blood samples of ur relatives to be sure dey r free too
3: luckily negtv den i will advice u confront her den she or urslf inform d family
its nt worth losing ur entire family for such a heartless wicked person.........
JUst my own piece of thought
Re: Help! My Aunty Is Hiding Her HIV Status by queenoflafia(f): 12:32pm On Jun 29, 2016
Confront her with all your facts.am sure she won't deny.them tell her to tell your mom by her own self.
Re: Help! My Aunty Is Hiding Her HIV Status by Deedee27(m): 5:57pm On Jun 29, 2016
You should inform your mum as soon as possible.. So u guys can decide on the steps to take.. I will advise the whole house go for test first b4 confront her but never make it appear as stigmatization... because she needs u guys now than ever b4..
Re: Help! My Aunty Is Hiding Her HIV Status by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jun 29, 2016
tel ur mum. shez in d best position to talk to her
Re: Help! My Aunty Is Hiding Her HIV Status by sweetilicious(f): 8:15am On Jun 30, 2016
Op tell her to dress up, take her to a restaurant buy her food. After eating and drinking with her, tell her about the drugs you found out but first ensure she is the one taking the drugs. Tell her how people can be infected because she might not know a lot. I believe she wouldn't want you to disclose it to anyone else because of the stigma attached to the disease. Counsel her of the risk she is putting everyone so she know. Tell her to stop using your mother's personal belongings. She has to stay away from every sharp object in your house exp the knives. If i tell you not to mention it to your mom, then my advice is not complete because you can only give love and support to someone if you know what they are going through. Tell your mom but make her understand what your aunty needs. Ensure she doesn't stigmatize her by not changing or being calm around her. You guys should still go about your normal activities around her. Show her some love by ensuring she takes her drugs everyday. She will feel good about her status being known by you all. That's what is keeping her from disclosing her status to you all. Its not easy though but you can't kill her because of her status.
Re: Help! My Aunty Is Hiding Her HIV Status by abby26(f): 7:47pm On Jul 01, 2018
What if your mom is already aware?
Re: Help! My Aunty Is Hiding Her HIV Status by Digriz(m): 7:30am On Jul 02, 2018
This is a confidential issue and I don't support disclosing it to all members of the family. I will suggest since u already known the secret,tell your mum and advice her to talk to her concerning been cautious with other members of the family.
Let the secret be btw u and ur mum only. She will be stigmatized so I don't support letting everyone be aware.
Re: Help! My Aunty Is Hiding Her HIV Status by Mcsenior(m): 7:45am On Jul 02, 2018
She has been hiding it because she know you will start crying like a baby and share her confidential status with the public on social media and here.

She is taking her drugs...good!

She need some love abeg!
@Digriz has said it all

......mcsenior just left

(1) (Reply)

Re: What To Do When Snakes Bite You And There Is No Hospital Nearby / What The Use Of Bisharm Amplicox Why Does People Take It After Sex / Help, My Kid Brother Is Going Mad.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.