Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,118 members, 7,953,437 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:14 PM

My Igbo Traditional Marriage Experience - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Igbo Traditional Marriage Experience (1334 Views)

Groomsmen In Igbo Traditional Attire Will Make Ladies Drool (pictures) / Benue Bans Men From Spending More Than N100, 000 On Traditional Marriage / How Many Jews Wear Igbo 'traditional' Wears? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Igbo Traditional Marriage Experience by Chimighty007(m): 2:10pm On Jun 29, 2016
The future is always scary especially when you have those who talk you down more around you.

From the first day I introduced my wife (she was from Ndi-uch Izogu in Arondizogue, Ideato North LGA, Imo State but she's now Deltan by marriage. Lol) as the lady I want to marry, 99% of the people within my sphere of contact continually talked me down just for me to back out of the relationship but the rest few were my strength. They said the family will cut my head, I should gather enough money, I should be ready to train one of their child etc. I told myself, if I can't then I will pull out. But I also prayed and set a benchmark for my expenses and it was so.

In my state (Delta) if not all over the country, people always scream at your introduction of a female spouse from the Eastern Nigeria cos they're too money conscious therefore making their marriage rites quite expensive but I kept arguing that it still have a lot to do with the individual family and I wish every family can be like that of my in-laws.

They proved everyone around me wrong and gave us the shock of our lives starting from the Introduction to the traditional marriage.

Firstly, after omitting so many processes, I collected my marriage list with just 2 cartons of Stout, 2 Cartons of Malt, 2 St Remy, 2 Aromatic Schnapp and N1000 and funny enough we all shared the cartons of drinks and they fed us wella and in less than 1hour we were thru. And that was even our very first meeting with her family.

Secondly, when I went thru the list only the drinks were amounting to about N100k, but I didn't see any box of cloth for anybody. So, I kept asking, how to go about it, I decided to monetise the list instead of getting the items. After, much research I was told by the mom to just get N200k that it will cover for everything including the bride price and I may not spend all too, but I still doubted and was preparing at least N300k. During the preparations the family took almost half of the expenses.

When the main day came, I was also surprise that in 1hour again they're thru. Now, lemme tell you how it went. The family already had a standard for their potential in-laws so that my people never for once negotiated any aspect reason been that my in-laws at every point did the reduction for example, if the Umu-nna drink worth N15k they say bring N10k and that was how they reduce the list that we spent less than N150k for everything when only the drinks excluding a whole lot in the list was already N100k. The parents said their part should be left out too. But the most funniest and most scary part was the bride price. When my people asked, they said we should bring N1.5m and our hearts almost leaped out thru our mouths but with little guidance we later dropped about N30k and they took N3k for 3 representatives there and N50 ONLY for the BRIDE PRICE - Dowry and gave the balance back to us and handed my wife to me and no child was included for me to help the family train too. What a loving and civilised family.

Now we have a different story about marrying from the East. When God is involved There's no regret cos He has gone beyond the end, for He declares the end from the beginning.

Allow God to lead you!

2 Likes

Re: My Igbo Traditional Marriage Experience by ifox(m): 2:16pm On Jun 29, 2016
That's Wonderful, I know it won't make it to the front page because it's not negative. HML
Re: My Igbo Traditional Marriage Experience by Bachelor5(m): 2:22pm On Jun 29, 2016
[center][/center]He who find a wife finds a good thing. Congrat winkHe who find a wife finds a good thing. Congrat
Re: My Igbo Traditional Marriage Experience by Chimighty007(m): 2:57pm On Jun 29, 2016
Am only appreciating my wife, her family and place of origin. Cos all we've always heard about marrying Igbo ladies is money money money but I got a different experience so lemme share it too. Our Igbo ladies are not just too cheap for dating and when it comes for marriage you say they're expensive, so who will you dump them for? Abi my wife nor fine reach or she will be graduating this year, just in her early 20s unlike someone they're trying to push into marriage, even in Delta state now some families we take more than what I spent especially in this harsh economy cos we got married two Saturdays ago.
Re: My Igbo Traditional Marriage Experience by giles14(m): 2:59pm On Jun 29, 2016
Chimighty007:
The future is always scary especially when you have those who talk you down more around you.

From the first day I introduced my wife (she was from Ndi-uch Izogu in Arondizogue, Ideato North LGA, Imo State but she's now Deltan by marriage. Lol) as the lady I want to marry, 99% of the people within my sphere of contact continually talked me down just for me to back out of the relationship but the rest few were my strength. They said the family will cut my head, I should gather enough money, I should be ready to train one of their child etc. I told myself, if I can't then I will pull out. But I also prayed and set a benchmark for my expenses and it was so.

In my state (Delta) if not all over the country, people always scream at your introduction of a female spouse from the Eastern Nigeria cos they're too money conscious therefore making their marriage rites quite expensive but I kept arguing that it still have a lot to do with the individual family and I wish every family can be like that of my in-laws.

They proved everyone around me wrong and gave us the shock of our lives starting from the Introduction to the traditional marriage.

Firstly, after omitting so many processes, I collected my marriage list with just 2 cartons of Stout, 2 Cartons of Malt, 2 St Remy, 2 Aromatic Schnapp and N1000 and funny enough we all shared the cartons of drinks and they fed us wella and in less than 1hour we were thru. And that was even our very first meeting with her family.

Secondly, when I went thru the list only the drinks were amounting to about N100k, but I didn't see any box of cloth for anybody. So, I kept asking, how to go about it, I decided to monetise the list instead of getting the items. After, much research I was told by the mom to just get N200k that it will cover for everything including the bride price and I may not spend all too, but I still doubted and was preparing at least N300k. During the preparations the family took almost half of the expenses.

When the main day came, I was also surprise that in 1hour again they're thru. Now, lemme tell you how it went. The family already had a standard for their potential in-laws so that my people never for once negotiated any aspect reason been that my in-laws at every point did the reduction for example, if the Umu-nna drink worth N15k they say bring N10k and that was how they reduce the list that we spent less than N150k for everything when only the drinks excluding a whole lot in the list was already N100k. The parents said their part should be left out too. But the most funniest and most scary part was the bride price. When my people asked, they said we should bring N1.5m and our hearts almost leaped out thru our mouths but with little guidance we later dropped about N30k and they took N3k for 3 representatives there and N50 ONLY for the BRIDE PRICE - Dowry and gave the balance back to us and handed my wife to me and no child was included for me to help the family train too. What a loving and civilised family.

Now we have a different story about marrying from the East. When God is involved There's no regret cos He has gone beyond the end, for He declares the end from the beginning.

Allow God to lead you!
bros dat is how it is, only dat some haters from s.waste will always like to badmouth d igbos but God pass dem.

if u spend much during trad.wedding it's cos u want to fill big n dat u hav accomplished.

even my mum's bride price is #50 only.
Re: My Igbo Traditional Marriage Experience by janefarms2015: 9:12am On Jun 30, 2016
giles14:
bros dat is how it is, only dat some haters from s.waste will always like to badmouth d igbos but God pass dem.

if u spend much during trad.wedding it's cos u want to fill big n dat u hav accomplished.

even my mum's bride price is #50 only.

You can still make ur points without reffering to ppl from a part of d country as 'South West'. Be more matured and stop tribal sentiments
Re: My Igbo Traditional Marriage Experience by giles14(m): 9:31am On Jun 30, 2016
janefarms2015:

You can still make ur points without reffering to ppl from a part of d country as 'South West'. Be more matured and stop tribal sentiments
yea u jst made sense

I bit if it was via versa u would hav been happy now.

I don't like been tribalistic but dey dey made me so and it's been hard repenting

(1) (Reply)

20 Things You Do Not Know About Nigeria / 7 Things You Need To Know If You Want To Marry An Ekiti Man / Which Nigerian Tribe Demands The Highest Bride Price?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.