Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,498 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. (1371 Views)

Lagos PDP Kicks Against Yoruba Language Preservation And Promotion Law 2018 / Southwest The Most Hostile And Volatile Region, SW A Peaceful Myth / NA Bombardment In SW,FACTS and the position of the igbos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by Nobody: 7:16am On Jun 30, 2016
The question of why Yoruba enjoys more peace and is soaked in the pool of religious tolerance must have remained insurmountable quests-like in the minds of some people from other parts of the country.

Nigeria as a whole is said to be a secular state which roughly means religiously everyone is at the liberty to choose and practice any religion he or she so desires. But when subdivided, Nigeria not only divided by tribe, ethnicity, region but also divided by religion. As south-eastern part is well established in Christianity, Northern part is known for its unyielding foundation of Islam, where as in contrary, in southwestern part, no definite proportion of religion can claim dominance.

The rationale behind every region's religious inclination can be traced to the vacuum susceptibly allowed opened by their ancestral fathers as the result of the deliberate acts of infiltration by the people in white colour. Witherward to these two apparent tribes - Hausa and Igbo, Yoruba nation acted in self pride as the infiltration did not really work in Odua land even though the land welcomed the first set of missionaries to Nigeria. It's on record that further attempts to pluralise the harmonious 'creed' was promptly rejected, thus earned Odua land a land where there is no religion but FAITHS! up till date.

On average basis, every Yoruba person believes in God, the supreme Being, have faith in His existence however not withstanding under what or which established ideology hitherto termed religion he professes his faith. Evidence is the neutrality of religious dominance in every yoruba household. Ask a yoruba at any random setting how many of his family members practice xtianity and Islam, trust me, he would have a convincing number to the both sides. It's a land where you hardly see religionists rather people of faiths.

Hijab: why is now an issue in Yoruba land?
Having said all the above, Odua people have some peculiarities which other tribes do not. Hardly you'll see yoruba tribesmen arguing religions and when it becomes imperative, they do it with caution and senses of objectivity. And This is first step to understand and appreciate why Yoruba so much believe in fundamental human rights.

Fundamental Human rights: what does it mean in Islamic context and what Nigeria constitution's statements mean and Is any of Yoruba traditions violated it (the concepts) in anyway?

Constitutionally, this take us to the concept of liberalism which could roughly be summarised as freewill enjoy by individual in a certain setting. Islamically, Quran 2:256 makes it clear that لا إكراه فى الدين meaning there is no compulsion in religion;, "Do not force anyone to become Muslim, for Islam is plain and clear, and its proofs and evidence are plain and clear. Therefore, there is no need to force anyone to embrace Islam. And it's widely reported in many sayings of the great Prophet (SAW) that there is no compulsion in his religion; everyone is at the liberty, on free volition to see the light against the darkness.

Now the question is has Yoruba violated in either context the tenets of fundamental human rights in relation to the using of Hijab?
Culturally, yoruba is endowed with series of fascinating ways of dressings and that's is just like other two grossly surreptitiously infiltrated lands. However, by the virtue of the Odua's appreciatable level of tolerance, some sectional yorubas pledge their convictions to either Islam or Christianity and to also follow these faiths, there are some integral or attributed tenets which must be observed and in the case of Islam, Hijab is one.

However, like earlier opined, Hijab on a yoruba woman does not in any way speak of her extremism rather a mere exercise of free volition aim at perfecting and balancing her faith's fundamental tenets.

Before now, yoruba Muslim women largely had reservations towards head covers; you'd see even the most devoted ones putting on their heads simple skirfs; this was to tell you how considerate they were in their faiths. Under the same roof, Christian mother and Muslim father Co naturing children whom they do not even know which faiths they would hold onto at their adulthood. Yoruba dresses have much cultural colouration; average Yoruba prefers to be identified first as Yoruba ahead of which faith he believes in. Little wonder the yoruba Muslims have no reservation towards the so called formal dressings or to milden it, the acceptable social outfits even when those prescribed dresses have no basis in their faith.

When children from Islamic faith are to graduate or matriculate, they would all be appareled in gown (long keep) which is a distinctive attribute of Christendom. In this, no Muslim parent individually or in coalition raise eyebrows; rather they would learn to live with it all in the name of peace and tolerance. Why now is it an issue with Muslim girl heeding to her faith's admonishment according to Q24v31 and Q33v59?

Almost every body is aware of how judiciary in Nigeria apparels its 'key players' among whom are people from both faiths. Isn't there any resemblance with how 'key players' in churches also dress? If not all, vast number of people reading this must have been to either matriculation or graduation event, the gown putting on by children from both faiths favours which religion the most?

Evidence are in vast numbers to prove that yoruba muslims are the most tolerant in all intents and purposes. Yoruba Muslims never quarry why the Nigerian formal social settings favour Christianity significantly. Why then some mischiefs are hell bent in disrupting a widely claimed peaceful land? Why do some nit wits inciting chaos in our land? Why are they trying overtly or covertly to subdue and reduce our harmonious nation to battle field as they have succeeded in making theirs?

It is still on record the tantrums unguidedly released by someone from neibouring Odua border mastur-bating on why Odua land is too cold for violence. He must have been jilted by the beauty the land hold; he must have been striken hard by the huge profit from our investment in peace. These beauties, no doubt, found no peace in their hearts hence an impulse pushed one of them to utter what he thought to be the secret. According to one of their frontiers, "In the South - South, people have abandoned their homes because of activities of Niger Delta Avengers. The North is in turmoil; the South - East is boiling because of agitation. The South -West is the only peaceful area, but they still send mercenaries to other areas to fight"

Okay, for those that are not cleared of his intention, what about this: *"In the South - South, people have abandoned their homes (to relocate in the peaceful region, south west) because of activities of (our sons) Niger Delta Avengers (et al). The North is in turmoil (as results of their sons and daughters activities, too); the South - East is boiling because of agitation (for their selfish interests). The South -West is the (that) only peaceful area (as results of their tolerance inclination and huge investment in PEACE over their land), but they still send mercenaries (such as Niger Delta Avengers, The IPODs, the MEND, the Boko Harams, the MASSOBs) to other areas to fight ( against our capable and peaceful indigens?)"* Now I ask, does this statement even make any sense?

Oh! It can be deduced contextually from this excerpt that it is not individually originated; it could have been a 'product' of a round table deliberation. It is therefore safe to say that any unprecedented violence in any part of yoruba land whether religiously, economically, even socially can easily be traced to these scheming people.

Has the said "peaceful' domain remained same after this outburst? Does it not look like clarion call on to his people to pay Yoruba in bad coin? Having been housing them; making them experiencing what peace means; giving them ends meat; enabling the atmosphere for them to get 'something' back home Is this the best way they think yoruba can be repaid?

I know, I believe Yoruba will concar at the end. Yoruba remains one! Irrespective of what religion, faith or what have you, anyone practices, we are one and not flicker around like pack of cards without purpose. We get our agitation right and we don't pursue million agenda in just one expedition. We scheme more and agitate less and the results are obvious! We are settled and we get our missions right. We are not multi-facet, unlike some people that cannot even define what they stand for - their want; they just go about, destroying common wealth all in the name of 'jihad' or agitation. We are not like some that they even don't have clue of their mission, bombing without no definite purpose. They claim to be religious yet they take delight in killing, maiming, looting and consequently improverishing their owns. YORUBA is not on the same pedal with You! The worst in us is better than the best in you all!

God bless ODUA nation.
God bless one Nigeria!

By an Admission seeker, a fashion designer apprentice.
éclat' 16 (Abdullahi, Ridhwan A. Adetutu)

Sean, Lalasticlala

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by Nobody: 7:29am On Jun 30, 2016
Tribalism, Racism, Zenophobia, Anti-Semitism, and Anti-LGBTS.

You guys will never stop being so little, so petty, so localized and so bestial in thought-process.

The Universe, the multiverse is vast and limitless to the mind, and all that the little minds think of is, Yoruba nation, Igbo nation, Arewa Nation, Ijaw Nation, Nations, Nations, Nations, all these nations within a so-called Nigeria Nation. Yet when you are told to live as that Yoruba Nation, you cry that Biafra must remain in Nigeria, the Hausas will cry that we must die for One Nigeria.

Will you guys ever stop and think about what created you all and what developed the lanuguage you speak ? Have you ever ask yourself which organ in your body is totally different from the ones in the bodies of people of other tribes. I guess none.

Oh Yes, but you accept to be defined by the way you twist your mouth and tongue and how the wind makes the sound called language.

Be very ashamed to be defined by language, you little pricks.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by Nobody: 7:43am On Jun 30, 2016
hmmmm
Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by gists: 8:16am On Jun 30, 2016
Billyonaire:

You guys will never stop being so little, so petty, so localized and so bestial in thought-process.

The Universe, the multiverse is vast and limitless to the mind, and all that the little minds think of is, Yoruba nation, Igbo nation, Arewa Nation, Ijaw Nation, Nations, Nations, Nations, all these nations within a so-called Nigeria Nation. Yet when you are told to live as that Yoruba Nation, you cry that Biafra must remain in Nigeria, the Hausas will cry that we must die for One Nigeria.

Will you guys ever stop and think about what created you all and what developed the lanuguage you speak ? Have you ever ask yourself which organ in your body is totally different from the ones in the bodies of people of other tribes. I guess none.

Oh Yes, but you accept to be defined by the way you twist your mouth and tongue and how the wind makes the sound called language.

You are largely right in your post. But did you correct the other people that have been preaching violence and wrecking havoc in the name or religion and tribalism? Where were you when someone called his own people/country a zoo? Where were you when Kanu called for the killing of his own people that has anything to do with the north/islam? So ot didn't occur to you that Tribalism, Racism, Zenophobia, Anti-Semitism, etc are all vices when they do their thing abi?
Granted the ONE that created us all created us equally as you rightly noted, but when people begin to incite violence in a relatively peace place for senseless reasons like religion you didn't come out to condemn it. FFK just wrote a letter saying christians are being persecuted just because he is being tried for his illegal involvement on funds for country's arms deal. What is he trying to do to the psyche of christians? Is that not divisionary? You didn't bother to respond to that thread because I have not seen your comment their.

The OP just detailed the resilience and relative beauty of the Yoruba nation. The question you should ask is - is he wrong? For me I see his post as an attempt to make us realize we are ONE and not divisive as you think. Tinubu is a muslim, but his wife is a deaconess. Same goes for Fashola. In my case, I am a muslim but my sister is a christian and I have many friends with the same dynamic family structure. The OP is just reminding us to ignore the ranting of people like FFK and other agents of destruction who want to prey on the psyche of Nigerians to wreck havoc just for their own selfish gains.

Perhaps if people likes of the OP hadn't kept quiet in Rwanda, the genocide that ripped that country wouldn't have happened.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by EasternActivist: 8:33am On Jun 30, 2016
Op is just an unrepentant Yoruba Muslim tribalistic bigot...

Only a coward will beat his chest like the op is doing, while his people is killed and maimed just to let his ego hold sway....

I laugh at your cowardice and fake pompousmess in Swahili-francais

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by Sweetle(f): 8:36am On Jun 30, 2016
The OP mistakes cowardice for sophistication.

4 Likes

Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by gists: 8:41am On Jun 30, 2016
EasternActivist:

Only a coward will beat his chest like the op is doing, while his people is killed and maimed just to let his ego hold sway....

And you that you are not a coward, remind me again how many ipob members have met their death from the bullets from the guns of the Nigerian Army? I am sure you have lost count. How many of your kinsmen have you saved from the herdsmen rampaging?
Keep laughing in swahili. Afterall, you are probably posting from the very comfort and safety provided by the same yorubaland.

3 Likes

Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by goldust777: 8:56am On Jun 30, 2016
gists:

And you that you are not a coward, remind me again how many ipob members have met their death from the bullets from the guns of the Nigerian Army? I am sure you have lost count. How many of your kinsmen have you saved from the herdsmen rampaging?
Keep laughing in swahili. Afterall, you are probably posting from the very comfort and safety provided by the same yorubaland.

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by Newmanluckyman(m): 8:58am On Jun 30, 2016
Peace is love.
Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by Highbhee(m): 9:03am On Jun 30, 2016
Billyonaire:

Like Yoruba is Holding you not to secede from Nigeria.....When we are Ready;No man will Stop Us....But You guys are Ready to Go But Cowardness that chased Ojukwu out of Nigeria In still living in Igbo

1 Like

Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by Sall(m): 9:05am On Jun 30, 2016
It no wounder the Niger deltans are recking havoc here at ikorodu.

1 Like

Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by Nobody: 9:06am On Jun 30, 2016
Ridhwan1:
The South -West is the only peaceful area,
Is this how you usually engage in self-deception?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1wpVoMz2jc

1 Like

Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by Highbhee(m): 9:06am On Jun 30, 2016
EasternActivist:

And only a mad man will be picking on the yoruba when KANU is Celebrating his bf in detention
Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by Nobody: 10:18am On Jun 30, 2016
gists:

You are largely right in your post. But did you correct the other people that have been preaching violence and wrecking havoc in the name or religion and tribalism? Where were you when someone called his own people/country a zoo? Where were you when Kanu called for the killing of his own people that has anything to do with the north/islam? So ot didn't occur to you that Tribalism, Racism, Zenophobia, Anti-Semitism, etc are all vices when they do their thing abi?
Granted the ONE that created us all created us equally as you rightly noted, but when people begin to incite violence in a relatively peace place for senseless reasons like religion you didn't come out to condemn it. FFK just wrote a letter saying christians are being persecuted just because he is being tried for his illegal involvement on funds for country's arms deal. What is he trying to do to the psyche of christians? Is that not divisionary? You didn't bother to respond to that thread because I have not seen your comment their.

The OP just detailed the resilience and relative beauty of the Yoruba nation. The question you should ask is - is he wrong? For me I see his post as an attempt to make us realize we are ONE and not divisive as you think. Tinubu is a muslim, but his wife is a deaconess. Same goes for Fashola. In my case, I am a muslim but my sister is a christian and I have many friends with the same dynamic family structure. The OP is just reminding us to ignore the ranting of people like FFK and other agents of destruction who want to prey on the psyche of Nigerians to wreck havoc just for their own selfish gains.

Perhaps if people likes of the OP hadn't kept quiet in Rwanda, the genocide that ripped that country wouldn't have happened.

The crux of the matter is that this country has Police and Soldiers who are incompetent of handling domestic violence. From militancy to herdsmen attacks, from kidnap to terrorism, but these same security forces are very effective in killing peaceful protesters and arresting political opposition members both the corrupt and in-corrupt.

If Niger Delta militants are actually the ones killing those Yorubas, and we have many tribes at Niger Delta, which of those tribes will Yorubas retaliate against ? If you say its ijaws, then it becomes tribal war. Which is exactly what happened at Rwanda.

I want crime to be called a crime, not a tribal crime. We should stop using the word, Fulani herdsmen, cos Hausas may be involved too. We should stop using the words like Ijaw militants, cos itsekiri may be involved. Not even words like Yoruba agberos. We are giving ethnic coloration to national security crisis supervised by an ineffectual and emotional President.

We should rather campaign for implementation of the Jonathan Conference Report. It was not influenced by politics. It was the best to the happen to this country after Petroleum.

2 Likes

Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by oduastates: 11:31am On Jun 30, 2016
H
Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by oduastates: 11:48am On Jun 30, 2016
Billyonaire:

You cannot fight nature. Those nations you listed are supposed to be the fundamental governing structures.
We are not more educated than the British who voted brexit or the Scottish who are demanding independence from great Britain.We are not as well fed or possess better administrative skills than the flanders who are demanding independence from Belgium.
The yoruba nation has shown what Nigeria should aspire to be. The writer is right. The rest have refused due to their hostility. From the civil service to the economy, Nigeria create an illusion of being a a country. In reality, it is not a country or a natio. Like Awo said, it is a geographical expression.
Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:54am On Jun 30, 2016
Billyonaire:
Billyonaire:

The crux of the matter is that this country has Police and Soldiers who are incompetent of handling domestic violence. From militancy to herdsmen attacks, from kidnap to terrorism, but these same security forces are very effective in killing peaceful protesters and arresting political opposition members both the corrupt and in-corrupt.

If Niger Delta militants are actually the ones killing those Yorubas, and we have many tribes at Niger Delta, which of those tribes will Yorubas retaliate against ? If you say its ijaws, then it becomes tribal war. Which is exactly what happened at Rwanda.

I want crime to be called a crime, not a tribal crime. We should stop using the word, Fulani herdsmen, cos Hausas may be involved too. We should stop using the words like Ijaw militants, cos itsekiri may be involved. Not even words like Yoruba agberos. We are giving ethnic coloration to national security crisis...

God bless you, my brother. May peace never depart from thy abode!

1 Like

Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by ycat: 1:15am On Jul 01, 2016
@Op, we Yoruba have moved away from the vision of our ancestors and just floating. Headscarves or any other religious wears should only be worn in religious schools. There are Christian/Muslims schools all over now. We need to have a debate on it, one free of outside influence like that of CAN and Arabs, but as Yoruba. There are more pressing issues Yoruba need to take care of, like teaching Yoruba in all schools in Yorubaland and Yoruba as the primary language in house of Reps. We haven't moved Yorubaland past where it was left during the time of Awolowo.

N.b. Below is an excerpt from a handle 'Empiree' in a thread created by Seun about Islam. This is something that will NEVER happen in Yorubaland, there will always be separation of religion and state to avoid chaos as they have in other regions, besides Yoruba are equally split between 3 religion so it will never work.

"The thing is, in Islam, there is no separation of Church(Mosque) and State. Therefore, if a Muslim openly renounces Islam and then saying unspeakable things against Islam which may prevent or lead people astray or speak against the state, this is considered treason. It is only then govt will act NOT individual. When such a person in punished in our modern time, non-Muslims do not look at it as treason but as religious repression. They failed proper investigation".

This extremism has no place in Yorubaland. God bless my people, from Kogi to Ondo to Lagos and every part in between.

1 Like

Re: The Renewed Crises In SW: A Sheer Case Of Jealousy Against Yoruba Nation. by ycat: 1:30am On Jul 01, 2016
Where did this thing just crawl out of?

Every goat now has a say, goodness!
Billyonaire:

(1) (Reply)

Violation Of Rights! Soldiers Forcefully Shaving People's Hair In Lokoja. / Buhari Receive Ex-minister,Businesswoman & Ex-banker HRH Bola Kuforiji Olubi(pix / APC Sack Chairman,secretary, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.