Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. (10507 Views)

What Happens When U Put Ur Car In Reverse While Driving? / What To Do If Your Steering Fails While Driving / Craziest Thing You Have Ever Done With While Driving On Highway? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by emi14: 6:41am On Jul 01, 2016
Brother I been waiting for post like yours. It is painful anytime I found myself in that God forseeking country. I have actually avoided Lagos since 6yrs.
There is no orderliness in Nigeria. Some beat the red light when the see no car is in motion.
The extreme left lane is called speed lane outside Nigeria but roads like Musa yar'dua highway in Abuja somebody will be driving 30kph and still maintain the speed lane. These actions are so irritating.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by heffem(m): 6:42am On Jul 01, 2016
if ur hand never strong ontop steering, e never strong be dat. No come here come dey form whitey abeg
Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by mikolo80: 6:45am On Jul 01, 2016
kYjelly2:
Okay, so the government has done its job on some roads by providing clear lane markings, yet some or most motorists in Nigeria take these lane markings simply as decorations undecided

I get soooooooo angry driving in Lagos sometimes, that I find myself cursing almost everyone.

Do they even realize how dangerous it is

You will be driving in ur lane, then some animal would now leave his lane and start veering into urs, like da fvck

What is so hard in driving straight and using ur turn signals when ready to switch lanes

Honestly, if I was white, I'd be a racist after witnessing this sort of jungle driving. I'd think that blacks are animals, true story.

The most annoying one is on a 3 lane road like lekki epe, when I'm driving on the extreme left lane and some mudafvcker in the middle lanenow has half of his car in his lane and the other half in my lane. In essence almost pushing me into the concrete sepetator on my left.

Why am I a Nigerian sef, why am I black

Don't even get me started with danfos and conductors hanging on the back of busses like real animals.

No law enforcement, nothing. Fvcking annoying
then quit bitching and do som'n about it
Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by Nobody: 6:46am On Jul 01, 2016
SmartMugu:
You mentioned Lagos, every driver is in a rush to get somewhere in Lagos, even the passengers. So, how can a common lane on the road stop people?
Fences, barbed wires or barricades should be used to demarcate lanes, not just some markings on the road. People won't respect those markings.

I'm telling you. Lagosians need electric fences installed instead of lane markings. Maybe that would teach them to stay in one lane.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 7:08am On Jul 01, 2016
ckamal:
Oga, u need to consider that they may also be dodging the several potholes on the road some might be so deep that they can cause alot of damages..I am not saying it's a good thing to be switching lanes or driving in the center of 2 lanes but this is the major reason people change lanes.In developed Countries am sure their roads are well constructed and smooth..so u can't compare both situations.
Just admit it, the bad attitude of impatience that we have and not potholes is responsible for that misbehaviour. Abuja roads are good and I have observed that annoying attitude there too.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by starlingbawa(m): 7:16am On Jul 01, 2016
kYjelly2:
Okay, so the government has done its job on some roads by providing clear lane markings, yet some or most motorists in Nigeria take these lane markings simply as decorations undecided

I get soooooooo angry driving in Lagos sometimes, that I find myself cursing almost everyone.

You will be driving in ur lane, then some animal would now leave his lane and start veering into urs, like da fvck

What is so hard in driving straight and using ur turn signals when ready to switch lanes

Honestly, if I was white, I'd be a racist after witnessing this sort of jungle driving. I'd think that blacks are animals, true story.

The most annoying one is on a 3 lane road like lekki epe, when I'm driving on the extreme left lane and some mudafvcker in the middle lanenow has half of his car in his lane and the other half in my lane. In essence almost pushing me into the concrete sepetator on my left.

Don't even get me started with danfos and conductors hanging on the back of busses like real animals.

It's ever so frustrating that you can't help but think a whole of animals are in human form when you see this sort of crazy/dangerous driving on Nigerian roads!

I don curse tire so tey i no dey even bother but accept the barbaric driving as it is......

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by gbaskiboy: 7:16am On Jul 01, 2016
powerfulsettingz:
because in Nigeria u have to shadow for FRSC, TRACE, LASTMAN, EVEN KAI OFFICERS..... u can't stay for one wing to beat them
TRACE has nothing to do with Lagos state but Ogun state.
Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by starlingbawa(m): 7:17am On Jul 01, 2016
lonelydora:
How would those Danfo drivers prove to you that they drive more than you? Most Nigerians believe lane switching makes you a 'sharp' driver.

That's the mentality when driving in lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by starlingbawa(m): 7:21am On Jul 01, 2016
SmartMugu:
You mentioned Lagos, every driver is in a rush to get somewhere in Lagos, even the passengers. So, how can a common lane on the road stop people?
Fences, barbed wires or barricades should be used to demarcate lanes, not just some markings on the road. People won't respect those markings.

I'm beginning to agree with this post.

If this were to be the solution, then you can't help but agree with the OP that a lot of these drivers think with their hands and feet instead of their brains...

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by Charlie31: 7:36am On Jul 01, 2016
@kYjelly2 This issue has been boggling me for a long time as well. It's frustrating driving on Nigerian roads. Last time I was in Abuja I almost lost my minds, it seems the lanes are invisible to almost everyone! The most annoying are those hugging 2 lanes like wtf! And when you honk your horn they lash at you as if you are the one in the wrong. It's sad sad sad.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by Dynamitehimself(m): 7:38am On Jul 01, 2016
People have being doing it and nothing has being done. So trust naija driver's to keep it up. #offline driving#
Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by Bluette(f): 7:50am On Jul 01, 2016
My mum do say ds most tyms we r on d road: see ursef as d only sane being on d road. If not, u will curse tire.
Just take it easy.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by Enyimbamercedes: 7:53am On Jul 01, 2016
Because most times, 7 times out of 10 they are using their phones and driving. When i see a car driving erratically and i finally overtake, i look at the driver and chances are that the idiot is on the phone.
Secondly, and this is a true story, some drivers don't know why the lines are there. I was in a car and the driver was driving with the lane divider between the wheels and was meticulously positioning the car such that the line was in the exact centre of the car. I asked why they were doing this and they said isn't that the correct thing to do? Well, i said you are to be in between the two lines and not the line in between the wheels.
Others think the lines are a form of decoration. You'd see five lines on a three lane road

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by adecares(f): 8:08am On Jul 01, 2016
seriously, most times I wonder where are the lanes physically most roads don't have lane in naija, except u create it mentally, and most road users are mentally deranged, that was what I was taught in driving sch.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by Reference(m): 8:12am On Jul 01, 2016
Yeah its bad even here in Abuja. The worst is when driving across bridges and flyovers, you see a vehicle right in the middle and you have no shoulder to pass by. Another is having slow moving vehicles and trucks on the speed lane forcing you to overtake on the right hand side, their blind side even after honking tirelessly. On the highway some especially trucks will be 'dating', crawling side by side and blocking both lanes forcing vehicles to overtake on the shoulder which is extremely dangerous.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by Tonason: 8:12am On Jul 01, 2016
The truth is that most of the drivers Goat and Sheep ate their brains. Sheep and Cow are more orderly than them.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by Reference(m): 8:21am On Jul 01, 2016
emi14:
Brother I been waiting for post like yours. It is painful anytime I found myself in that God forseeking country. I have actually avoided Lagos since 6yrs.
There is no orderliness in Nigeria. Some beat the red light when the see no car is in motion.
The extreme left lane is called speed lane outside Nigeria but roads like Musa yar'dua highway in Abuja somebody will be driving 30kph and still maintain the speed lane. These actions are so irritating.

Yeah, you got it, that Yaradua highway and its intersecting brother, the longer, Nnamdi Azikiwe. Very annoying. The authorities should also do something about the bottleneck caused by parking cars at the Berger flyover especially in the mornings. It is very, very dangerous. You have cars coming at top speed from the Maitama axis and those from Yaradua meeting there. This present FCT administration is doing little in terms of road way/traffic enforcements.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by Viktor1983(m): 8:22am On Jul 01, 2016
kingreign:

After these rants, when you're exhausted, report to my insitiute for anger and frustration management grin grin
Calm down bruv. I was more frustrated than you but I've learnt to deal with it. Okay here's he deal, get a Truck, tundra, ford F150 or some real mean truck, take off the plastic bumper cover and install the heavy duty steel type bunper and brush guard then start brushing cars who does nasty things on your lane.

Perfect !
Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by Nobody: 8:23am On Jul 01, 2016
heffem:
if ur hand never strong ontop steering, e never strong be dat. No come here come dey form whitey abeg
Reckless driver sported
Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by Reference(m): 8:26am On Jul 01, 2016
timilehing:
Is there any rule/law that restricts road users to single lane undecided

Yes there is. And it gives you explicit instructions on how, when and in what circumstance to change lanes. Its in the traffic code.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by Chuknovski(m): 8:27am On Jul 01, 2016
[quote author=kYjelly2 post=47061069]Okay, so the government has done its job on some roads by providing clear lane markings, yet some or most motorists in Nigeria take these lane markings simply as decorations undecided

No law enforcement, nothing.
Just a simple show of our inconsistency both psychological and physiological
Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by evmandy(f): 8:28am On Jul 01, 2016
Becos the other lane is moving
Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by Raydos: 8:33am On Jul 01, 2016
kYjelly2:

gringrin
Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by Raydos: 8:45am On Jul 01, 2016
kingreign:

After these rants, when you're exhausted, report to my insitiute for anger and frustration management grin grin
Calm down bruv. I was more frustrated than you but I've learnt to deal with it. Okay here's he deal, get a Truck, tundra, ford F150 or some real mean truck, take off the plastic bumper cover and install the heavy duty steel type bunper and brush guard then start brushing cars who does nasty things on your lane.

I Pray That One Day You'll Brush A Hungry-Nigerian Soldier.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by nwoye72: 8:50am On Jul 01, 2016
0rex:
It can be really annoying truly.
nice topic,it happened to me last year its terrible when i was driving seeing that nobody maintain lains.one leg on left and right. its one of d major cause of accident. i believe that 70% of nigerians don't know how to drive, never attended a good driving school. never knew all traffic signs.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by toprealman: 8:50am On Jul 01, 2016
Roads not marked, pot holes on roads, unqualified drivers...etc
Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by fairheven: 8:55am On Jul 01, 2016
it's just the mindset that "grass is greener on the other side"

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by abnot: 9:00am On Jul 01, 2016
Most people dont know the meaning of good driving as what you are complaining about is all they have known or seen since they started driving. They got their license by simply paying the fees and they havent witnessed driving in more developed nations. As a result the typical ideology here is that the best driver is one who is fast and speeds and all.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by 4q: 9:00am On Jul 01, 2016
The inability of Nigerians to keep to a lane on the road is an actual reflection of what the brain is doing at that time, switching between left and right hemisphere involuntarily.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by Armstrong34(m): 9:06am On Jul 01, 2016
what actually baffles me is dat God jus carry all of us with one mentality put inside Nigeria.......Only in Nigeria,in apapa oshodi expressway by coconut to mile 2...... u would b lookin left n right to cross one part of d road because of one way...

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by Nobody: 9:09am On Jul 01, 2016
kYjelly2:

Op, so many factors could be attributed to reckless driving in nija, especially lagos

the first time I drove in overseas I almost involve in an accident just bcs I ignored the marked whit line,

despite the fact that I've been driving for the past 10ys in lagos without any incident

meanwhile, it didn't occur to me that it's an offense when your tyre is on the marked white line.

some of the reason for reckless driving in nija especially lagos are::

(1) most people don't go to driving school

(2) brake down of law and order

(3) potholes everywhere

(4) poor road networks

(5) Impatience of drivers

(6) Road congestion

just to mention a few

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It Hard For Nigerians To Stay In Their Lanes While Driving. by bobman(m): 9:16am On Jul 01, 2016
What else if not everyone wants to get to their destination on time....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help! Service Engine Soon 4 Nissan Altima 2000 Model / Modifications On Toyota Corolla 2010 / Audi A6 Vs Toyota Camry 2003 Vs Honda Accord 2003 (end Of Discussion)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.