Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,416 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:11 AM

Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? (1425 Views)

Post A Quote From A Book You're Reading or Have Read. Include the Book Title. / Which Books Are You Currently Reading? / What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by domwas2(m): 11:17am On Nov 30, 2006
if u're given options of "know how to READ or how to WRITE, Which out of the two will u choose?
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by hotangel2(f): 7:52pm On Dec 02, 2006
I would be tempted to choose both.

But in my present state of mind, i would choose "How to read".
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by domwas2(m): 4:17am On Dec 03, 2006
thanks hot-angel for ur contribution,
i'll likewise say, u would like to reads pples mind, expression etc which is educative rather than expressing urself.dont u think expressing urself would be cool than reading pple's---

i guess that's a nice one out there~

more comments on this pls,
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by nwadinma(f): 4:29pm On Dec 11, 2006
Definitly, i will choose reading. i love to read but you know what?
when you read alot, you will end up a writer before you realize it
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by sakish(f): 5:20pm On Dec 13, 2006
it is quite a tough one but i'd like to read
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by domwas2(m): 11:02am On Jan 24, 2007
i guess its nice to read but sometimes i find myself loving to write than read, just anything that flows in,
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by geniusgz(m): 11:31pm On Jan 25, 2007
Hey everyone I'm a fresher here and like this topic , smiley smiley
If I were to used will rather use to write cos I love writing than reading cool cool
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by memyself2(f): 7:21pm On Sep 16, 2007
hmmmm, to write you have to know how to read----i think? correct me if I am wrong
I mean if you can't read, how would you know if what you have written is correct?

I'd rather learn how to write because learning how to read would fall in place eventually
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by junky(f): 7:25pm On Sep 16, 2007
i luv both desperately. presently i wld choose writing,because now that i am a little down,i write out my heart to get things off my chest.
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by GL(f): 6:39am On Sep 24, 2007
i would choose how to read. as Nwadinma said, the ability to write naturally comes along when you read a lot. the way i see it, you're not going to write anything of quality if you've not read extensively, have you ever thought of the amount of reading that goes into the average fiction novel? the importance of reading for would-be writers cannot be over-emphasized in Nigeria, considering our spoken english, and education generally, has progressively worsened.
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by olawunmi05(f): 2:45pm On Oct 04, 2007
I love READING!!! cheesy
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by Scopium: 5:24pm On Nov 22, 2007
[size=13pt] I love both, do both but the fire of my desire burneth wild no more.[/size]
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by Nobody: 5:54am On Dec 11, 2007
Scopium:

[size=13pt] I love both, do both but the fire of my desire burneth wild no more.[/size]
I'm in that state too. undecided undecided
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by Nobody: 6:05am On Dec 11, 2007
sometimes you just wish you could be a kid again. The old days when you had no worries or cares in the world, when you didnt have to figure out what to eat tomorrow or how to pass that exam or how to fuel your care and buy new spark plugs . . . the old days when all you wanted to do was sit with with a book as you devoured a tray of agbalumo.

The good old days when the pen was mightier than the dollar, when you could delve into your own imaginary world and come out with a fairly good work of literary art.
Wrote two short books when i was a kid and virtually had my own library of novels but today . . . undecided i cant remember when last i penned a page of rambling notes to myself.

maybe this would count as one.
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by Nobody: 6:35am On Dec 11, 2007
davidylan:

sometimes you just wish you could be a kid again. The old days when you had no worries or cares in the world, when you didnt have to figure out what to eat tomorrow or how to pass that exam or how to fuel your care and buy new spark plugs . . . the old days when all you wanted to do was sit with with a book as you devoured a tray of agbalumo.

The good old days when the pen was mightier than the dollar, when you could delve into your own imaginary world and come out with a fairly good work of literary art.
Wrote two short books when i was a kid and virtually had my own library of novels but today . . . undecided i can't remember when last i penned a page of rambling notes to myself.

maybe this would count as one.

I feel you. I don't want to grow up. cry cryThat's pretty childish) When I was a child it was surprising I didn't want to grow up, (eventhough I at several times wanted to run away because of my parent's beatings). I was still playing with sand while my mates were looking for boyfriends.
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by Lola4eva(f): 2:12pm On Dec 11, 2007
I dont agree that the ability to write comes naturally from reading a lot, yeah it could help build your vocabulary but writing aint beans, so if ure to make a choice between learning how to read or write, its better u're taught how to write. I mean once u get ur basic education u should be able to read, its just ur attitude that may keep u from actually becoming a good reader, however writing is a totally different ballgame, believe me i know wat im talking about. I joined a publishing firm for my service year and i thought i could handle the pressure, by the time they edit my first write up ehnnn, thats when i know say writing no be beans!
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by nonosexie: 3:44pm On Dec 17, 2007
If i pick reading, then i'll live everyday of my life thinking i cant write something in return and if i pick writing that'll mean i cant read what i'm writing. Tough one.
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by realdemi(f): 3:00pm On Dec 21, 2007
nwadinma:

Definitly, i will choose reading. i love to read but you know what?
when you read alot, you will end up a writer before you realize it
GL:

i would choose how to read. as Nwadinma said, the ability to write naturally comes along when you read a lot. the way i see it, you're not going to write anything of quality if you've not read extensively, have you ever thought of the amount of reading that goes into the average fiction novel? the importance of reading for would-be writers cannot be over-emphasized in Nigeria, considering our spoken english, and education generally, has progressively worsened.

U could NEVER EVER go wrong with reading. It's like saturating the mind. Once, it's soaked and totally sponged, it overflows. It takes great reading to be a good writer. QED.
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by ifyalways(f): 6:09pm On Dec 24, 2007
@ topic reading
Re: Be A Literate Out Of The Two: Reading Or Writing? Which Of It Do U Love? by janami(f): 6:26pm On Dec 26, 2007
@poster
Kai! u want to kill me? cheesy
i love to read and write too. if i say read, wen i start to read, i am tempted tp write my own piece, so i wnt choose any one. it is too much of a temptation for me

(1) (Reply)

The New York Times Names The Heir To Chinua Achebe / Way Out Of My League / 42 Old English You Never Get To Know Before

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.