Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:12 AM

Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. (4739 Views)

'I Left My Marriage After My Wife Sat On Me And I Fainted' - Man Reveals. Photo / My Marriage Has Finally Ended / My Marriage On The Brink Of Crashing, Experienced People Needed Now. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by omoladunayemi: 3:35am On Jul 02, 2016
I will try to summarize the story as much as possible.

I got married to my husband 9years ago. We courted for like 18months before we eventually tied the knot. While courting I realized he was not financially buoyant, I therefore never asked him for anything. Instead I was cooking for him with my own money.

I served in Bayelsa state, while he served in Kano state. I was therefore richer than him since I was paid more as a Youth corper. I was very also enterprising, I used to buy clothes and jewelries from Kano (whenever I visited him) and resell in Bayelsa state. Therefore I never requested any money from him, and he never gave me a dime. The only thing he bought for me during courtship was an umbrella.

I got a job in Abuja before I finished serving, I therefore relocated to Abuja, after which he joined me. It was my savings as a corper that was used to rent our accommodation.
We later got married. My husband also got a job in Abuja, but my salary was slightly higher. He receives his salary before I received mine. I discovered my husband would spend his own money on frivolities waiting patiently for my money for the monthly upkeep of the family.

After sometimes I resigned from my job to pursue higher degrees. I also gave birth during this time.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by omoladunayemi: 3:56am On Jul 02, 2016
At this time he was very supportive. He gave us all we needed. But, due to my nature, I was not satisfied with being totally dependent on him, I also tried to lay my hands on one or two businesses to help, but sincerely he was the breadwinner. He unfortunately lost his job in 2012.

With that condition, the enterprising spirit in me rose up. I was doing all manner of businesses to support the family. We have three children. To my surprise, my husband left me alone to do the hustling. I did importation, made liquid soap, sold cloths and shoes and all sorts. In fact, there was a period of time I use to travel every week to buy eggs to redistribute. My husband left me alone to make money.

In 2015, I joined a cooperative society. He supported me with N100,000, I also added 200,000. With this I was able to borrow N600,000 to start a business. My husband became more relaxed, forgetting d fact that I must return the money.

With a family of five, it became very difficult to make ends meet and to do loan repayment. Anytime I complain about him not doing much to alleviate the financial burden, he claims that the business belongs to the two of us.
Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by omoladunayemi: 4:13am On Jul 02, 2016
After much persuasion, he started a venture, but we still live on my business. The only thing he use his money for is to buy recharge cards. He always complain of lack of money.

We had disagreement on Tuesday over this same issue. He therefore stopped eating my food. To my greatest surprise, my husband began to spend money to buy food for himself, the money I never knew he has.

What shocked me most is this. I am the one that used to pay our security due. They came knocking for the money yesterday money. I refused to answer. He said I should give them 1000 naira, I refused. To my greatest surprise, he went inside and brought out N1000(mint) that I never knew he had. This is a man that never contributed any kobo for feeding o. If I ask him, he will get angry and say I am mocking him for his lack of money.

Now my question is this, am I too forward? as in, Is it because I always go ahead to provide the family needs that got me into the present predicament?

I will really appreciate ur sincere view. Thanks
Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by ladyF(f): 4:24am On Jul 02, 2016
He has become so used to you being the breadwinner it doesn't even bother him anymore, I don't want understand why he won't drop money for you and his kids when it's not as if he's not doing business. It's not your fault sha, you can't watch your family starve all because he didn't dop money.

Let me wait for the married people to come sha. What do I know... cry

7 Likes

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by MosakuAW(m): 4:41am On Jul 02, 2016
@moladunayemi

Firstly, i will commend you and say welldone for being a supportive wife/woman in this hard condition of financial shortage in the country. May God continue to bless you.

Back to your story, there was a part you said you left your job and he was supportive then. This shows he is not irresponsible he was only behaving like a dependant kid. You started your relationship on a foundation of being the person that drop money all the time in terms of needs. When you were dating, and you knew he has little and you have more, you should have let him drop little out of the little he had and support with the rest rather than taking up the responsibities therefore you make him irresponsible one way or the other

The way forward is to call him and talk heart to heart. Men naturally has ego when the woman bring in the money, so you have to be calm and talk about this to him and you should also withhold some finances and let him know you also dont have much. Dont quarrel with him, because he will surely use that as an excuse when you guys begin to invite 3rd party into your marriage issue.

Finally, concentrate more in term of foods and clothing on your children and let him fed for himself. Pretend you also have little and imbibe in the spirit of saving from the little you have without him knowing 'incase' of the unknown. From what you wrote up there, you are a caring and good wife.

Keep praying and also remember to pray for him and always make your prayer points to God to make him the head of the family and not you. Not all men can control their ego if their wife is richer than them. Best of luck.

4 Likes

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by Nobody: 5:05am On Jul 02, 2016
ladyF:
He has become so used to you being the breadwinner it doesn't even bother him anymore, I don't want understand why he won't drop money for you and his kids when it's not as if he's not doing business. It's not your fault sha, you can't watch your family starve all because he didn't dop money.

Let me wait for the married people to come sha. What do I know... cry

will you stop assuming? angry angry
Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by chachanga: 5:12am On Jul 02, 2016
Yes, yes and yes!

You practically spoilt him, lemme say, during your dating years. He's gotten quite settled in being "mummy'd". You actually have four children, him inclusive. It wouldn't have been much of an issue if it was you, the woman, throwing up this kinda attitude but him acting this parasitical and visionless does not bode well at all.

A man has no right under heaven to marry a woman and use her like a dish-mop with bills, burdens, childbearing and still expect her not to age faster or simply die off on him before time! It's crass irresponsibility.

That said, you need to start:
1. re-educating him on basic principles and practice of family finance.

2. if possible, stop declaring all your profits, assets and business runs for now (so that you can build a reliable nest egg)

3. prayerfully seek counsel and divine wisdom, sit him down and discuss defining financial costs, duties and roles as well as sharing formulas stressing on the fact that he is the man of the house, the head, bla, bla & blah!
(Many Naija men like their egos stroked this way, it works wonders many times. It may look demeaning but I'm guessing you wanna get out of this jam without losing your peace of mind, marital goodwill and home in a fight. Pls, apply wisdom instead of bullheaded confrontation that will yield no fruit instead).
And yes, if he's the reading type, get him journals and books on financial wisdom.

4. As per your business ventures, exaggerate your costs, pressures and de-emphasize all ideas of ease.
(I'm guessing he has not taken as much interest in the business as you and he's always assuming you're loaded.
Ok, let him know things are tight so he can take his eyes and mind off your purse. You need to Psychologically Re-programme him because some guys are wired with not being able to see their partners holding extra-change; probably makes their d!ck limp or something because the next thing you see is that they either come borrowing out of it till the money's gets exhausted or they leave costs to you to bear till you finish all that your meager savings; either way, they prefer you broke but yet won't provide).

5. Don't do Joint Acct or any major financial commitment with him till you see changes for now. Plan ahead, think of your kids!
[And if you absolutely must, don't commit your major amounts to it till he starts stepping up financially and consistently too.]

6. Separate Issues
Don't wear it on your face, get moody, nagging or start using it to color your home. Every soul has their blemishes. That is his own weakness for now. With God's grace, it's highly amendable without much fussing.
Don't allow anybody to depress you about your future or the viability of your home and the fact of that same man still becoming the man who'd lace up your shoes for you every morning kiss while fighting hand, tooth and nail to see that his meeting your every need is his obsession.
Other homes and people have their quirks and they work on it. I think Yoruba people say "A o riru eleyi ri, a fi nderu ba oloro ni, right? [Abeg, clap for me, i did yoruba up to jss3 back then :-*]. So, brace up and think for the long term. Use all the suggestions you get here to fight for your love, your man and your home becoming better, don't use them to build dividing walls. Dividing Walls break homes, pls!

Just pray, get introspective, study him well and God will see you through this little impasse to give you the beautiful home you've always desired.

Can't think of it all, thank God today is Saturday. All the Nairaland SuperMoms and DotingDads and of course, marriage counselors will still come and gist you better once they are through with their Weekend Itinerary but nevertheless:

Don't fight o, ehn? Nor just go and break your home. Fuel don cost o.
Next school term now, small children's school fees go jerk up so, "do softly softly catchie your monkey o wink grin!"

God bless, Have a blesd & frutful July!

12 Likes

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by Nobody: 5:18am On Jul 02, 2016
Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by Nobody: 5:26am On Jul 02, 2016
Op

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by ironheart(m): 5:54am On Jul 02, 2016
Dont complain my dear, be grateful you have a means to cater for yourself and the family. There shouldnt be a reason to now fight or argue with him. Beside we live in a world where women wants equality with men (though i detest it), you have taken the role of the man, and i believe you are doing this for your kids. Not for him. You said he has money but you alone does the hustling, dont you think he is a prudent man saving the little you give him? We men dont think of the little money that comes to the home, we always want the big jobs and contracts that pays big. You have not done wrong by picking up the challenge to protect your family from shame and the present economic hardship. As a mater of fact, you are demostrating the super woman in you.
Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by Nobody: 6:01am On Jul 02, 2016
Ladyf made a brilliant point, he has become so used to you being the breadwinner. Now that's the problem diagnosed.

You a dogged fighter, Ambitious women, Resilient Empress.....With what you just explained out there, You are trice intelligent than your hubby, career oriented with capitalist mentality. I want a wife like you.

Back to solving your problem which is already diagnosed by ladyf and I approve of it.

* Stay yourself, continue with struggle, keep feeding the children.

* Never disrespect him, make food for him and if he doesn't eat, be yourself and don't feel guilt whatsoever.

* Cut down on spending, expenses and roles he ought to play in the family but when it gets to the nick of time when he seem hopeless about the problem, then step in to bail him out, HE WOULD THEN APPRECIATE YOU MORE. (This was the same mistake Tiwa Savage made when she kept taking up hubby roles and kept acting like everything was fine in the public eye, Don't continue with that mistake)

Lastly, Regardless of the financial situation in your family, always tell him you love him, yes it works magic, every one wants to be loved, Always tell your children too. This way, they understand every thing you doing is out of love you have for them.

Keep being the heroic wife you are and I hope to marry a wife like you.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by midolian(m): 6:17am On Jul 02, 2016
I ll commend you for doing what you luv doing, Taking Responsibilities AND condemn you for leaving him to do what he luvs doing, Avoiding responsibilities.

I can see the way you listed all the things you have done for him and the family as if you ve been getting prepared for this day.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by omoladunayemi: 7:18am On Jul 02, 2016
I quite appreciate your responses. Thanks a lot! I am practically worn out. The one Dt pains me most is d fact that I am losing my dream because of this marriage. Right from my university days, I av always dreamed of pursuing higher degrees overseas. In fact, that is one of the reasons why I resigned my job. I now have my M. SC in Nigeria here. I really desire to pursue my PhD degree Canada or US. But wen I think of my children, I think about what they will feed on - I usually drop my plan. I am not getting younger, I really feel I am wasting my years. With PhD admission in Canada, I know I can arrange a greater future for my children who can be invited later.
But I am currently bothered on what to feed on, and how to repay the loan I took.
Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by Eketem: 7:22am On Jul 02, 2016
This happens as usual when many couples refuse to have a marriage financial plan.

Before you get married, identify possible bills and how they are going to get paid. You can either share bills or open a joint account for bills.

As to your situation, finance in marriage is too important to be silent about. Have a sincere discussion with him don't get personal, simply list out all the bills on a paper and discuss with him a plan on how to meet these bills monthly.

Don't fall for emotional blackmail, these bills need to get paid and he needs to help so all the he is not eating will not work. When you both decide what bills he will handle and what you will handle resist the temptation of doing the ones he is supposed to handle when he doesn't do that. He learns that is his responsibility and he will do them

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by MizMyColi(f): 7:28am On Jul 02, 2016
midolian:
I ll commend you for doing what you luv doing, Taking Responsibilities AND condemn you for leaving him to do what he luvs doing, Avoiding responsibilities.

I can see the way you listed all the things you have done for him and the family as if you ve been getting prepared for this day.

Midolian
What are you saying now.
You sha just want to find fault with her abi angry
Is it her fault that she knows how to arrange her thoughts in a chronological order?

Like everyone's opined already, her hubby has gotten used to being catered for and he sees (maybe appreciates) you for the strong, intelligent and resilient woman that you are (He can do better).

6 Likes

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by midolian(m): 8:07am On Jul 02, 2016
MizMyColi:

Midolian
What are you saying now.
You sha just want to find fault with her abi angry
Is it her fault that she knows how to arrange her thoughts in a chronological order?

Like everyone's opined already, her hubby has gotten used to being catered for and he sees (maybe appreciates) you for the strong, intelligent and resilient woman that you are (He can do better).
My dear, not really..grin grin

I just poured out my mind on this issue. I hate it when pple say I did this and that for him/her and despite that, he/she is treating me this way. Did you read the part where she said the only thing the guy bought for her's an umbrella? Lool. I feel that wasn't necessary. For her to admit the guy wasn't having as much as she had says it all..

Women are naturally this way, you know...You can pluck out your eyes for them, build castles in the air for them, do all the 'undoables' sef...in the end, she ll ask you "what have you done"?....and with the way she listed these things, I see her as one of these women.

Plus, we ve just seen her own side of the story. If you hear/see her husband's side, I am sure you ll be forced to be on his side.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by 5minsmadness: 8:13am On Jul 02, 2016
To my surprise, my husband left me alone to do the hustling

Na wa o.
@omoladunayemi
Why did it surprise you? Isn't it the way you two have been doing since the beginning of the relationship, you being the leader and him following meekly behind?

Anyway, lemme continue reading.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by 5minsmadness: 8:31am On Jul 02, 2016
@omoladunayemi
Is it because I always go ahead to provide the family needs that got me into the present predicament?

[size=18pt]Yes![/size]

For goodness sake, look at your write-up, you are the driving force financially in your relationship/marriage. Your husband has even been a good supporter on many occasions but he has never once taken the lead when it comes to providing for the family.

You even pay security dues for goodness sake!

I always tell women, allow your husband be the man of the relationship right from the onset! He's been living off of you all this while (and you have been doing a very good job of it if I might add)and suddenly u want to change the status quo? Your case is like a man telling his wife to become the breadwinner, only in this case YOU are the man! The only reason you are feeling stressed now is probably cos things are hard and you can't meet up. Else if your husband still had his job and you had yours I'm sure you wouldnt have seen anything wrong in the marriage till date.

On a lighter note, now you know how a man feels smiley

P.s , I havent read other people's responses here, but I will strongly advise you to ignore anybody who tries to demonise your husband or make you feel like a fo0l. Most people here who give such hurtful advice are young, naive, unmarried or heartbroken. Your case is not bad like that and after three children I believe you have acquired enough wisdom to be able to shut haters down and do what is best for you, your husband, and the kids. You are wiser and stronger than most of the people here, do not let them poison your mind for any reason.

Sort things out with your husband. As you can see, he actually is ready to man up when things get desperate and he sees you can't handle it. You'd be surprised that most times when he didnt help out or you thot he didn't care its because he thought you'd find a way to hustle things out hence his relaxed state.

You have already established a foundation for this relationship, I honestly don't see it changing, least of all overnight. Things are hard all round now and tempers will flare but with some patience and by God's grace we shall pull through.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by general111(m): 8:32am On Jul 02, 2016
aaronson:
Ladyf made a brilliant point, he has become so used to you being the breadwinner. Now that's the problem diagnosed.

You a dogged fighter, Ambitious women, Resilient Empress.....With what you just explained out there, You are trice intelligent than your hubby, career oriented with capitalist mentality. I want a wife like you.

Back to solving your problem which is already diagnosed by ladyf and I approve of it.

* Stay yourself, continue with struggle, keep feeding the children.

* Never disrespect him, make food for him and if he doesn't eat, be yourself and don't feel guilt whatsoever.

* Cut down on spending, expenses and roles he ought to play in the family but when it gets to the nick of time when he seem hopeless about the problem, then step in to bail him out, HE WOULD THEN APPRECIATE YOU MORE. (This was the same mistake Tiwa Savage made when she kept taking up hubby roles and kept acting like everything was fine in the public eye, Don't continue with that mistake)

Lastly, Regardless of the financial situation in your family, always tell him you love him, yes it works magic, every one wants to be loved, Always tell your children too. This way, they understand every thing you doing is out of love you have for them.

Keep being the heroic wife you are and I hope to marry a wife like you.

op I think this fellow just nailed it...

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by kaboninc(m): 8:34am On Jul 02, 2016
omoladunayemi:
I quite appreciate your responses. Thanks a lot! I am practically worn out. The one Dt pains me most is d fact that I am losing my dream because of this marriage. Right from my university days, I av always dreamed of pursuing higher degrees overseas. In fact, that is one of the reasons why I resigned my job. I now have my M. SC in Nigeria here. I really desire to pursue my PhD degree Canada or US. But wen I think of my children, I think about what they will feed on - I usually drop my plan. I am not getting younger, I really feel I am wasting my years. With PhD admission in Canada, I know I can arrange a greater future for my children who can be invited later.
But I am currently bothered on what to feed on, and how to repay the loan I took.

Hi Yemi,

Just as there are men who go out there under the rain and the scotching sun to put food on the table for their families or provide a shelter over their heads and other necessities of life, you will also find women who will never appreciate the efforts of these men. I just want you to note that it cuts across both genders.

Well, I want to think that the major problem you guys could be having would be managing financial responsibilities. I see an implicit way of dividing financial responsibilities among yourselves. I do not think he is irresponsible because you said that at one time, he provided and supported you when you resigned and pursued your Masters Degree. So he has that sense of responsibility. I also think that something is bothering him and you've need a way to find out through communication.

You guys could have to define who and who will be responsible (both individually and jointly) for certain expenses in the home. Another is the non-disclosure issue between you and your husband. Maybe he feels like having supported you in setting up a small business, the proceeds that comes out from it should be enough to settle petty bills and expenses - such as payment of the security bills. But unless you let him know that you have challenges like repayment of the loan, the status of the income generated, the expenses you incur in running the business, he will always think that all is well. You should also encourage him to be open and transparent at least to an appreciable extent about his financial position. You can do this by starting with yourself. As you already know, the worst that can happen to a man is not just the fact that he does not have money, but that he has no means of earning money.

I've come to know for a fact that some individuals (men and women alike) will never ask you about certain things which substantially affects them and so create a perception (an imagination) about situations and circumstances. This is very wrong and if your husband happens to behave in this way, I'll suggest you find a way to communicate to him in a way that he will understand. Communication in a subtle, calm and gentle way.

In your post, there's something I see that's lacking from your side. Maybe you have tried your best but it wasn't explicitly stated. Some men need a catalyst. They need someone who will inspire, motivate, and challenge them. They do not want financial support per se, but one who can look at their ideas, reason with them, help them polish it, help them grow and nurture it. Were/are you a catalyst?

However, most importantly is finding out if he has a dream? (Everyone has but not everyone knows). If he does, what does he say about it? What is he doing about it? You need to find out! You also have your dreams too (obtaining a PhD among others). Does the goals and objectives of you and your husband align? Are they going to be mutually beneficial? You said you have a Masters Degree, if I may ask, to what end and use? I think the Masters degree should give you an upper-hand in securing a better job while you both plan for the PhD.

Lastly, you seem more concerned for your children. More concerned in a way that you travelling to the US or Canada will only benefit your kids. There's nothing wrong with wanting the best for your children but always carry your husband along and make it known between you and him that it is 'our' and not 'my'.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by 5minsmadness: 8:35am On Jul 02, 2016
general111:
op I think this fellow just nailed it...
I concur!
Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 02, 2016
3 kids in 9 years?

Una dey try o Nigerians. In this harsh economic situations people are still giving birth to kids like it is running out of fashion.

Even when you know you guys aren't bouyant and you have 2kids on ground to feed. Someone has to still go on and cause wahala by giving birth to an extra kid.

Why won't we be poor? Why won't you suffer? Why won't we have poverty all around us? When people can not plan and look at things holistically.

An average kid would spend 1k per day on feeding, in a year you wiuld expend nothing less than 500k on each kid. that's 1.5 million naira on the kids. You have not talked of the two adults. To maintain them you would have to spend atleast 500k each also. That's another 1million naira.

Total of 2.5 million in a year. How many Nigerians earn such money in a year? And you still have relatives, aged parents, siblings and families looking up to you to help them with cash. I have not even added, utility bills, health bills, house rent and other miscellaneous expenses.

So please tell me how you want to have money and be successfully and not live in penury and hardship. We are our own problems in this country and not the government. Every family is a government on their own and if you spend more than you make, no one needs to tell you rhe result.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by omoladunayemi: 10:35am On Jul 02, 2016
midolian:
My dear, not really..grin grin

I just poured out my mind on this issue. I hate it when pple say I did this and that for him/her and despite that, he/she is treating me this way. Did you read the part where she said the only thing the guy bought for her's an umbrella? Lool. I feel that wasn't necessary. For her to admit the guy wasn't having as much as she had says it all..

Women are naturally this way, you know...You can pluck out your eyes for them, build castles in the air for them, do all the 'undoables' sef...in the end, she ll ask you "what have you done"?....and with the way she listed these things, I see her as one of these women.

Plus, we ve just seen her own side of the story. If you hear/see her husband's side, I am sure you ll be forced to be on his side.

I really wonder why you are picking issues with me. Did you read the part where I said he was the breadwinner? Did you also read where I said he contributed 100,000naira to my business? So, how did I say, "what have you done? ".

If you don't have any valuable advice, I guess it is better to be silent, than to make my heart bleed further. If you have never been fortunate to date women that go extra miles for their families, I am glad to tell you that many are out there.
Next time, you are reading topics like this, I advice you to be more objective so that you can contribute without taking sides.

5 Likes

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by omoladunayemi: 10:43am On Jul 02, 2016
x240:
3 kids in 9 years?

Una dey try o Nigerians. In this harsh economic situations people are still giving birth to kids like it is running out of fashion.

Even when you know you guys aren't bouyant and you have 2kids on ground to feed. Someone has to still go on and cause wahala by giving birth to an extra kid.

Why won't we be poor? Why won't you suffer? Why won't we have poverty all around us? When people can not plan and look at things holistically.

An average kid would spend 1k per day on feeding, in a year you wiuld expend nothing less than 500k on each kid. that's 1.5 million naira on the kids. You have not talked of the two adults. To maintain them you would have to spend atleast 500k each also. That's another 1million naira.

Total of 2.5 million in a year. How many Nigerians earn such money in a year? And you still have relatives, aged parents, siblings and families looking up to you to help them with cash. I have not even added, utility bills, health bills, house rent and other miscellaneous expenses.

So please tell me how you want to have money and be successfully and not live in penury and hardship. We are our own problems in this country and not the government. Every family is a government on their own and if you spend more than you make, no one needs to tell you rhe result.

Thanks for your observation, but my second pregnancy was a twins, and I seriously appreciate God for giving them to me. They are the sweetness of my life. I am not that foolish.

10 Likes

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by omoladunayemi: 10:52am On Jul 02, 2016
kaboninc:

Hi Yemi,

Just as there are men who go out there under the rain and the scotching sun to put food on the table for their families or provide a shelter over their heads and other necessities of life, you will also find women who will never appreciate the efforts of these men. I just want you to note that it cuts across both genders.

Well, I want to think that the major problem you guys could be having would be managing financial responsibilities. I see an implicit way of dividing financial responsibilities among yourselves. I do not think he is irresponsible because you said that at one time, he provided and supported you when you resigned and pursued your Masters Degree. So he has that sense of responsibility. I also think that something is bothering him and you've need a way to find out through communication.

You guys could have to define who and who will be responsible (both individually and jointly) for certain expenses in the home. Another is the non-disclosure issue between you and your husband. Maybe he feels like having supported you in setting up a small business, the proceeds that comes out from it should be enough to settle petty bills and expenses - such as payment of the security bills. But unless you let him know that you have challenges like repayment of the loan, the status of the income generated, the expenses you incur in running the business, he will always think that all is well. You should also encourage him to be open and transparent at least to an appreciable extent about his financial position. You can do this by starting with yourself. As you already know, the worst that can happen to a man is not just the fact that he does not have money, but that he has no means of earning money.

I've come to know for a fact that some individuals (men and women alike) will never ask you about certain things which substantially affects them and so create a perception (an imagination) about situations and circumstances. This is very wrong and if your husband happens to behave in this way, I'll suggest you find a way to communicate to him in a way that he will understand. Communication in a subtle, calm and gentle way.

In your post, there's something I see that's lacking from your side. Maybe you have tried your best but it wasn't explicitly stated. Some men need a catalyst. They need someone who will inspire, motivate, and challenge them. They do not want financial support per se, but one who can look at their ideas, reason with them, help them polish it, help them grow and nurture it. Were/are you a catalyst?

However, most importantly is finding out if he has a dream? (Everyone has but not everyone knows). If he does, what does he say about it? What is he doing about it? You need to find out! You also have your dreams too (obtaining a PhD among others). Does the goals and objectives of you and your husband align? Are they going to be mutually beneficial? You said you have a Masters Degree, if I may ask, to what end and use? I think the Masters degree should give you an upper-hand in securing a better job while you both plan for the PhD.

Lastly, you seem more concerned for your children. More concerned in a way that you travelling to the US or Canada will only benefit your kids. There's nothing wrong with wanting the best for your children but always carry your husband along and make it known between you and him that it is 'our' and not 'my'.

Cheers!

Thanks for your contribution. Job with Masters degree is not automatic o. I personally like researching, which is not sound here in Nigeria. Even if I have a job, that will not stop my thirst for PhD degree abroad. My experience as a research student while undergoing my Masters degree would never encourage me to stay back in Nigeria for my PhD.
Yes, he is in support of my dream of migrating with the children.
Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by byvan03: 11:53am On Jul 02, 2016
You spoiled him, always let a man be a man. Chip in where it is really necessary.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by Acidosis(m): 12:49pm On Jul 02, 2016
8 in 10 married women today at some point display this "career-related regrets" at some points in their marriages. That's the time they remember they should have obtained some phantom Doctorate and professorship before printing wedding IV and aso-ebi.

Madam, this is simply a phase in your marriage, you'd get over it. All married folks pass through 5-6 stages in marriage. You are currently at stage 3 where both couple begin to think about some phantom career. It is sad that majority of divorce and separation today occur at this very stage - 3. The ball is now in your court, it is left for you alone to play it well or badly.

Now to the primary purpose of the thread. I think his problem has to do with upbringing. Pour out your mind to him again, and possibly, engage his folks.

Meanwhile, I do not mean to demotivate you from pursuing your career. In fact, if there is one thing I've learnt here: it is to ensure that my to-be-woman pursues all her education before walking to the altar (I can wait for 40 yrs).
Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by Amicable24: 1:20pm On Jul 02, 2016
omoladunayemi:
After much persuasion, he started a venture, but we still live on my business. The only thing he use his money for is to buy recharge cards. He always complain of lack of money.

We had disagreement on Tuesday over this same issue. He therefore stopped eating my food. To my greatest surprise, my husband began to spend money to buy food for himself, the money I never knew he has.

What shocked me most is this. I am the one that used to pay our security due. They came knocking for the money yesterday money. I refused to answer. He said I should give them 1000 naira, I refused. To my greatest surprise, he went inside and brought out N1000(mint) that I never knew he had. This is a man that never contributed any kobo for feeding o. If I ask him, he will get angry and say I am mocking him for his lack of money.

Now my question is this, am I too forward? as in, Is it because I always go ahead to provide the family needs that got me into the present predicament?

I will really appreciate ur sincere view. Thanks
The bolded words answered it.. I will be sincere with u and share my experience too. My mum had always been an industrious/enterprising woman since we were little. My dad took advantage of that and stopped providing for d family's need (in terms of feeding, clothing and other little things.. Na so e dey take start) at our tender age.. Since he stopped, my mum worked harder to cater for the family (including him).. Now, mum has no work, dad no really send even if he still goes to work/his business every working day. I thank God for me nd my siblings, God blessed us and we av been catering for the family (in all financial aspect including house rent)..
Being industrious/enterprising is not a bad thing for a woman, but I would advice u let ur partner still cater for some things.. Some men are cunny, when they notice their wife is making money, they fold their arms and leave her to cater for the family's need.. And some women fall for this trick totally.. To the men, she will definitely cater for her kids.. As a woman, u should av a good heart towards ur husband and children, but u ought to be strict in some issues too..

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by tabithababy(f): 1:22pm On Jul 02, 2016
Na wa o. The moment your boyfriend,manfriend or husband knows you have money, he will become a liability to you to the extent of even borrowing money from you. angry sad

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by Amicable24: 1:32pm On Jul 02, 2016
tabithababy:
Na wa o. The moment your boyfriend,manfriend or husband knows you have money, he will become a liability to you to the extent of even borrowing money from you. angry sad
That's why ladies have to be wise too.. Sometimes he's asking for money from u not because he doesn't have but because he wants to figure out how much u av at d moment.. May God help us all
Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by crackhaus: 1:50pm On Jul 02, 2016
Lackadaisical attitude on the part of your husband - find out exactly why he feels unmotivated in becoming financially stronger than you are, it could be a personality quirk or something much deeper.

In other words, you both need to talk about this situation extensively.

I personally cannot subscribe to a man living off his wife, there are just too many repercussions that can come from this.
Re: Please Help Me To Diagnose The Problem In My Marriage. by midolian(m): 2:06pm On Jul 02, 2016
omoladunayemi:

I really wonder why you are picking issues with me. Did you read the part where I said he was the breadwinner? Did you also read where I said he contributed 100,000naira to my business? So, how did I say, "what have you done? ".

If you don't have any valuable advice, I guess it is better to be silent, than to make my heart bleed further. If you have never been fortunate to date women that go extra miles for their families, I am glad to tell you that many are out there.
Next time, you are reading topics like this, I advice you to be more objective so that you can contribute without taking sides.
my dear, I didn't mean what you think and I am not taking sides. All I am trying to say is that this story is incomplete without your husband's version. Sorry if offended.

But when next you are coming to a public forum like this with your problem, don't expect everyone to be on your side. grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Negative Consequences Of Bride Price Payment On Women / How Should I Handle My Almost Cheating Patner / Is This True?: Prince William Divorces Kate Middleton After 5 Weeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.