Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,651 members, 7,823,845 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Is This True Of United Kingdom And Great Britain? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Is This True Of United Kingdom And Great Britain? (735 Views)

Effects Of Britain Leaving The EU / David Cameron Resigns As Prime Minister After Britain Votes To Leave EU / The Difference Between England, Great Britain, And The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This True Of United Kingdom And Great Britain? by MrImole: 6:36pm On Jul 02, 2016
Hi guys, I read something today, how true is it?

Northern Ireland is part of the UK, but it is not in Great Britain. Northern Ireland can be found in Ireland (which is the island to the west of Great Britain). The capital of NI is Belfast and it has a population of under 2 million. It became a part of the UK in 1921. Ireland is divided in two parts; NI is part of the UK while the Republic of Ireland, in the south, is an independent country with its own laws, government and currency (€). Although English is the most common language, there are also Irish speakers in NI.

lalasticlala Seun Dominique mynd44
Re: Is This True Of United Kingdom And Great Britain? by Tolexander: 6:38pm On Jul 02, 2016
MrImole:
Hi guys, I read something today, how true is it?

lalasticlala Seun Dominique mynd44
Actually, under the act of Union, 1801, Britain(England and Scotland had earlier being unified with the monarch from the House of Stuart after Elizabeth 1) and Ireland were united to form The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

The union lasted till 1922. In 1921, British Act of Parliament divided the Irish Ireland into Northern(having 6 counties) and Southern Ireland. Southern Ireland would later opt out to become a Republic. Hence, we now have the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Great Britain is an Island comprising of England, Scotland and Wales.

1 Like

Re: Is This True Of United Kingdom And Great Britain? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jul 02, 2016
oo
Re: Is This True Of United Kingdom And Great Britain? by Luxxycool(m): 6:52pm On Jul 02, 2016
yes I've read something like that before
Re: Is This True Of United Kingdom And Great Britain? by Samakus(m): 6:52pm On Jul 02, 2016
Somehow true. Northern Ireland is part of UK (that is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) while Great Britain comprises of only England, Wales and Scotland. Mind you, Northern Ireland, composed of six north-eastern counties in Ireland, have their own flag, culture and international sports teams, but do not live in an independent country.
Re: Is This True Of United Kingdom And Great Britain? by Flexherbal(m): 6:57pm On Jul 02, 2016
Samakus:
Somehow true. Northern Ireland is part of UK (that is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) while Great Britain comprises of only England, Wales and Scotland. Mind you, Northern Ireland, composed of six north-eastern counties in Ireland, have their own flag, culture and international sports teams, but do not live in an independent country.
We learn everyday. I just learnt this.
Re: Is This True Of United Kingdom And Great Britain? by ITbomb(m): 7:21pm On Jul 02, 2016
If you had paid more attention to the Geography class teacher, you would have known this since

1 Like

Re: Is This True Of United Kingdom And Great Britain? by MrImole: 7:22pm On Jul 02, 2016
Tolexander:
Actually, under the act of Union, 1801, Britain(England and Scotland had earlier being unified with the monarch from the House of Stuart after Elizabeth 1) and Ireland were united to form The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

The union lasted till 1922. In 1921, British Act of Parliament divided the Irish Ireland into Northern(having 6 counties) and Southern Ireland. Southern Ireland would later opt out to become a Republic later. Hence, we now have the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Great Britain is an Island comprising of England, Scotland and Wales.

God bless you.
Re: Is This True Of United Kingdom And Great Britain? by MrImole: 7:25pm On Jul 02, 2016
ITbomb:
If you had paid more attention to the Geography class teacher, you would have known this since

I was never taught this in geography, if you care to know, I made A1 in geography when I wrote my SSCE.
Re: Is This True Of United Kingdom And Great Britain? by ITbomb(m): 7:34pm On Jul 02, 2016
MrImole:

I was never taught this in geography, if you care to know, I made A1 in geography when I wrote my SSCE.
C'mon guy don't embarrass yourself here, we all know any fool can make A1 if he has whatsapp on his phone. I was taught all countries and location since Social Studies.
Re: Is This True Of United Kingdom And Great Britain? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jul 02, 2016
ITbomb:

C'mon guy don't embarrass yourself here, we all know any fool can make A1 if he has whatsapp on his phone. I was taught all countries and location since Social Studies.
learn to be polite, it'll save you from a lot of trouble tomorrow.... your previous reply provoked that reply you got
Re: Is This True Of United Kingdom And Great Britain? by gamargu(m): 4:20am On Jul 03, 2016
ITbomb:

Chai my guy where in nigeria do they teach students about great Britain or United Kingdom in social studies.
Who even cares about UK when students don't even know all the regions of Nigeria and the states found in them.
At least learn to answer people's questions with respect and be humble in your dealings undecided

1 Like

Re: Is This True Of United Kingdom And Great Britain? by MrImole: 9:47am On Jul 03, 2016
ITbomb:

WhatsApp in 2005?
I don't mean to pry but is everything alright at home?

2 Likes

Re: Is This True Of United Kingdom And Great Britain? by Seened: 12:44pm On Jul 04, 2016
This should help

(1) (Reply)

Obama Daughter Lands Restaurant Job / Scotland To Publish Plans For New Independence Referendum Next Week / Sunnis Ask For Fatwa To Kill Their Wives To Prevent Them Being Raped By Shias

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.