Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,499 members, 7,836,943 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

Why Faith Is Good - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Faith Is Good (996 Views)

Faith Is A Race, Run Your Own / 5 Reasons Why Having Faith Is So Important / Why Faith Is Bad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Faith Is Good by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:55am On Jul 03, 2016
The concept of faith can be understood, in many cases, as involving belief without a certain kind or amount of evidence—the kind or amount that would give us certain proof.

This understanding of faith seems to be reflected where St. Paul writes that “we walk by faith, not by sight” (2 Cor. 5:7). He seems to acknowledge that the Christian life involves a commitment to certain spiritual realities—without the complete and certain proof that we would have if these realities were immediately obvious to our senses.

The commitment of faith is not divorced from evidence. One might have, and St. Paul thought that he did have, very good evidence for his beliefs. But he acknowledges that it is not the same kind of evidence as if we could see the spiritual realities as easily as we see the physical world around us.

It is this type of faith that everyone shares

In everyday life, nobody has complete proof that:

-his food isn’t poisoned , but he eats it anyway
-he would sleep and wake up the next day and fulfill his plans but he sleeps anyway
-he won’t die in a car crash on the way to work , but he goes to work anyway
-science will surely provide answers to the questions pertaining our universe but we keep clinging to science for answers anyway

Indeed, nobody has complete proof of even more fundamental things, like:

-the law of gravity won’t suddenly stop working
-the sun won’t explode today
-the existence of the external world
-the existence of other minds
-the axioms of logic
-extraterrestrial life won't launch attacks on earth today

BUT this doesn’t stop people from acting on and believing precisely these things. In doing so, everyone-theists and atheists- is exercising a form of faith which is a good thing . Faith gives us the assurance of a better future , or certainty of getting whatever we hope for . Faith keeps us going .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Good by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:57am On Jul 03, 2016
How atheists show faith while rejecting the existence of God

Some atheists may claim that they have conclusive proof that God does not exist. But even an atheist who has worked out such a proof to his satisfaction may find himself in the same position as the theologian.

He may not have the details of his proof before his mind, only the memory of having done one. Most atheists do not claim to have a conclusive disproof of God’s existence. Indeed, it is common today for atheists to say, “I can’t prove that there is no God—but I think it highly unlikely that he exists, or at least I haven’t seen convincing proof of his existence, so I don’t believe in him.”

Whether they think it highly unlikely that God exists, or whether they just have not been presented with proof they consider sufficient, they are doing the same thing: adopting a belief without certain proof.

In other words, they are exercising faith.They are in the same position as the ordinary Christian who holds the existence of God despite his acknowledgement that he does not have conclusive proof of this.And atheists exercising faith in this way are doing so regarding the central belief of atheism—the non-existence of God.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Good by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:34am On Jul 03, 2016
Conclusion :

The overarching conclusion is simple - everyone shows faith in one way or the other .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Good by hopefulLandlord: 6:26am On Jul 03, 2016
this guy loves the sound of his own voice
he keeps saying an atheist is someone who BELIEVES God doesn't exist
he's been corrected about this many times over the months but keeps saying it, hoping that one day he might start believing it
comedy Gold!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Good by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:37pm On Jul 03, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
he's been corrected about this many times over the months but keeps saying it, hoping that one day he might start believing it
comedy Gold!

If that is your conclusion after all the points made , then

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Good by KingEbukaNaija: 2:09am On Jul 07, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
comedy Gold!

An atheist believes there is no God . The notion of God becoming from nothing has been corrected - He is eternal - but atheists always repeat the same rubbish all over again .

Comedy God !

I even sounded stupid trying to reason like him . These atheists are indeed comfortable with stupidity

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Good by 4kings: 9:42pm On Aug 14, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

If that is your conclusion after all the points made , then
Why Faith is Bad:

In the 1600s, Giordano Bruno was burnt at stake and Galileo was given House Arrest for almost all the years of his life for propagating Heliocentrism, which has revolutionized science today.

Faith does not allow freethinking/development, therefore it is very very very very very BAD.
tonguetonguetongue
Re: Why Faith Is Good by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:50pm On Aug 14, 2016
4kings:

Why Faith is Bad:

In the 1600s, Giordano Bruno was burnt at stake and Galileo was given House Arrest for almost all the years of his life for propagating Heliocentrism, which has revolutionized science today.

Faith does not allow freethinking/development, therefore it is very very very very very BAD.
tonguetonguetongue

Stop stalking me wink . Why did you check my profile , click on this topic , and spew hokum on this pristine thread

Christianity does not assent to those things . Christians built Havard , Yale and so many universities with so much cachet . Christians made science what it is today .

Atheists in the 1920s burnt down schools and libraries simply because they were owned by religious people . Atheists killed prospective scientists doctors , engineers , scientists simply because they were religious . They destroyed businesses owned by religious people .
Atheism was their animus , atheism actuated their actions . Atheism impedes development , hinders thinking and making accomplishments because it thinks life is purposeless and has no meaning .

Christians are even the most decorated in science

Stop trolling tongue tongue tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Good by 4kings: 10:27pm On Aug 14, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Stop stalking me wink . Why did you check my profile , click on this topic , and spew hokum on this pristine thread
Then stop annoying me tongue

KingEbukasBlog:

Christianity does not assent to those things . Christians built Havard , Yale and so many universities with so much cachet . Christians made science what it is today .
Mr. Cop-out grin

KingEbukasBlog:

Atheists in the 1920s burnt down schools and libraries simply because they were owned by religious people . Atheists killed prospective scientists doctors , engineers , scientists simply because they were religious . They destroyed businesses owned by religious people .
Atheism was their animus , atheism actuated their actions . Atheism impedes development , hinders thinking and making accomplishments because it thinks life is purposeless and has no meaning .
Bla bla bla.... Stop mixing politics with atheism.
Mark Zukerberg, Bill gate are more philanthropic than most private jets pastors.
Besides Aristotle laid down foundations for morality, centuries before Jesus was born.

KingEbukasBlog:

Christians are even the most decorated in science
Atheist are the most Outstanding in science. Aristotle, Pythagoras, Galileo, Beethoven, Einstein, Hawkins, Michio kaku, just to name a few. tongue

KingEbukasBlog:

Stop trolling tongue tongue tongue

Says the King of trolls.

1 Like

Re: Why Faith Is Good by taurus25(m): 12:16am On Aug 15, 2016
it seems the norm these days is to claim atheism is a belief system which uses faith to disbelieve god(s) grin ...and yeah there you have it, once this has been established god(s) exist, atheism defeated tongue
Re: Why Faith Is Good by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:26am On Aug 15, 2016
taurus25:
it seems the norm these days is to claim atheism is a belief system which uses faith to disbelieve god(s) grin ...and yeah there you have it, once this has been established god(s) exist, atheism defeated tongue

When you prove such is so then denial is dishonesty
Re: Why Faith Is Good by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:54am On Aug 15, 2016
4kings:

Then stop annoying me tongue

I won't stop. tongue

Mr. Cop-out grin

That's you cheesy

Bla bla bla.... Stop mixing politics with atheism.

Well it has been proven that atheism actuated the killings not politics .

Mark Zukerberg, Bill gate are more philanthropic than most private jets pastors.
Pastors are more likely to surreptitiously carry out philanthropic work and Bill Gate is not an atheist .

Do you know that atheists are the least munificent people ?

According to ABC News :
“ ...the single biggest predictor of whether someone will be charitable is their religious participation.
Religious people are more likely to give to charity, and when they give, they give more money: four times as much. And Arthur Brooks told me that giving goes beyond their own religious organization:

"Actually, the truth is that they're giving to more than their churches," he says. "The religious Americans are more likely to give to every kind of cause and charity, including explicitly non-religious charities

Facts have also revealed that the religious are a lot more likely to help the poor than the atheists .

Besides Aristotle laid down foundations for morality, centuries before Jesus was born.

Lol . How many people adhere to Aristotle's views on morality Aristotle is a deist not an atheist .

Atheist are the most Outstanding in science. Aristotle, Pythagoras, Galileo, Beethoven, Einstein, Hawkins, Michio kaku, just to name a few. tongue

Pythagoras is a founder of the influential philosophical and religious cult called Pythagoreanism. Aristotle was a deist , Galileo was a christian , Albert Einstein was a deist .Beethoven was not an atheist . Michio is religious and Stephen Hawkins is the only atheist in your list .

Looks like your freethinking obambulates outside the boundaries of facts , logic and reason .

Says the King of trolls.

Its "god of trolls" and KingEbukaNaija is the "god of trolls" not me wink
Re: Why Faith Is Good by Nobody: 1:05am On Aug 15, 2016

1 Like

Re: Why Faith Is Good by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:16am On Aug 15, 2016
AmenRa1:

I've said it before that going by the definition of atheism - the lack of belief in God - I consider myself an atheist because I have knowledge of God's existence not belief .

There are myriads of Christians that hold this same view .

Try again , maybe onerously this time around
Re: Why Faith Is Good by Lex11(m): 1:36am On Aug 15, 2016
"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." -Hebrews 11:6
Re: Why Faith Is Good by hopefulLandlord: 1:49am On Aug 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I've said it before that going by the definition of atheism - the lack of belief in God - I consider myself an atheist because I have knowledge of God's existence not belief .

There are myriads of Christians that hold this same view .

Try again , maybe onerously this time around

This is so ironic, its hilarious grin

1 Like

Re: Why Faith Is Good by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:59am On Aug 15, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

This is so ironic, its hilarious grin

grin grin grin
Re: Why Faith Is Good by FearGodAndLive: 5:46am On Aug 15, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

The notion of God becoming from nothing has been corrected - He is eternal -
Says who? You? He told you? Or you kinda figured it out?

1 Like

Re: Why Faith Is Good by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:43am On Aug 15, 2016
FearGodAndLive:

Says who? You? He told you? Or you kinda figured it out?

Who told you God does not exist Did you embark on a peregrination around the universe and outside of it to figure it out Do you know its rational to agree to the existence of a creator without faith and extremely stupid to deny it because of emotions .

1 Like

Re: Why Faith Is Good by hopefulLandlord: 8:57am On Aug 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Who told you God does not exist Did you embark on a peregrination around the universe and outside of it to figure it out Do you know its rational to agree to the existence of a creator without faith and extremely stupid to deny it because of emotions .

argumentum ad absurdum

You my good sir just showed the main reason for the below

Invisible Pink unicorn

Flying Spaghetti Monster

The Church of the Latter-Day Dude

Russell's Teapot

Landover Baptist Church

Landover Baptist Church

Bokononism

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Good by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:05am On Aug 15, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

argumentum ad absurdum

You my good sir just showed the main reason for the below

That is not reductio ad absurdum . lmao . Assuming I said God exists because we are not having crazy sex or resorting to anarchy or men would have been unintelligent then its reductio ad absurdum .

You can't teach your master his own skills wink You must have learnt about this logical fallacy from me cool wink

Religion tries to define the personality of this creator - this is what you are against not the rationale behind admitting to the existence of God .

Let that sink in
Re: Why Faith Is Good by hopefulLandlord: 9:12am On Aug 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

That is not reductio ad absurdum . lmao . Assuming I said God exists because we are not having crazy sex or resorting to anarchy or men would have been unintelligent then its reductio ad absurdum .

You can't teach your master his own skills wink You must have learnt about this logical fallacy from me cool wink

Religion tries to define the personality of this creator - this is what you are against not the rationale behind admitting to the existence of God .

Let that sink in

Never learnt such from you but if it helps you smile

Maybe you should let my post up there sink in first

1 Like

Re: Why Faith Is Good by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:16am On Aug 15, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Never learnt such from you but if it helps you smile

I believe you .

Science is the killer of atheism .
Re: Why Faith Is Good by hopefulLandlord: 9:17am On Aug 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I believe you .

Science is the killer of atheism .

If it also helps you smile
Re: Why Faith Is Good by KingEbukasBlog(m): 9:33am On Aug 15, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

If it also helps you smile

If it helps you sleep at night smiley
Re: Why Faith Is Good by 4kings: 9:45am On Aug 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I won't stop. tongue

That's you cheesy
grin grin grin Mr Cop-out in denial

Well it has been proven that atheism actuated the killings not politics .
Just like the Politics of killing unbelievers in the early roman society. Right? undecided

Pastors are more likely to surreptitiously carry out philanthropic work and Bill Gate is not an atheist .
He is irreligious(deist or agnostic), so why do u always like claiming him. undecided

Do you know that atheists are the least munificent people ?

According to ABC News :
“ ...the single biggest predictor of whether someone will be charitable is their religious participation.
Religious people are more likely to give to charity, and when they give, they give more money: four times as much. And Arthur Brooks told me that giving goes beyond their own religious organization:

"Actually, the truth is that they're giving to more than their churches," he says. "The religious Americans are more likely to give to every kind of cause and charity, including explicitly non-religious charities

Facts have also revealed that the religious are a lot more likely to help the poor than the atheists .
Bla bla bla, Bill just donated $1m to IDPs in borno, wetin do ur private jets pastors. I have told u bfore to stop giving me figures, churches are everywhere and members just give because its a rite(my bible told me so for a reward or hell grin), why many others do it from the buttom of their heart(no string attached grin)

Lol . How many people adhere to Aristotle's views on morality Aristotle is a deist not an atheist .
Aristotle was irreligious during that intense mythological era.
Aristotle gave a psychological breakdown of morality, long before baby jesus, hence proving the common sense of subjectivity morality, not the useless other way around. tongue

Pythagoras is a founder of the influential philosophical and religious cult called Pythagoreanism. Aristotle was a deist , Galileo was a christian , Albert Einstein was a deist .Beethoven was not an atheist . Michio is religious and Stephen Hawkins is the only atheist in your list .

Looks like your freethinking obambulates outside the boundaries of facts , logic and reason .
i'm a deist and i gave you list of irreligious guys not atheist.

Galileo was given house arrest for the most part of his life and Giordano was burnt at stake for saying the sun is the center of the universe, not the earth. Dont u think he would have been terified of proclaiming irrelligion so as not to get a worst fate like Giordano, which is one of the reasons why irreligious guys in 9ja and most part of the world are keeping quiet.

Michio is of what religious denomination undecided
btw, why does it seem like u accept Deism?

Its "god of trolls" and KingEbukaNaija is the "god of trolls" not me wink
SMH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Good by FearGodAndLive: 9:47am On Aug 15, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Nice job avoiding my question. It's one thing to claim something exists or doesn't without evidence, it's another to start giving it all sorts of characteristics. When you say this God (which you've never seen, heard or touched, at least not in the physical sense) is eternal, it's only proper that you follow up with some facts to back up your claims.

But who am I to dispute this eternal, invisible entity with you? smiley Special Apostle of the Most High, Great Prophet of God, He who converses with He who created the Universe. It's an honor to chat with God's spokesman.

2 Likes

Re: Why Faith Is Good by KingEbukaNaija: 10:41am On Dec 15, 2016
cool cool cool
Re: Why Faith Is Good by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:00pm On Dec 15, 2016
smiley smiley

Faith is Good . When you have faith in God , you have this wonderful truth and reliance on Him

(1) (Reply)

Pastor W.F Kumuyi storms Abuja National Stadium for Supernatural Wonders part 2 / Rccg House Fellowship,sunday,14th May,2017 / Pastors Collecting Tithe Are Committing Sin. By Pastor Chris Ojigbani

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.