Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

Why Faith Is Bad - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Faith Is Bad (16629 Views)

Faith Oyedepo's 60th Birthday: Adeboye, Enenche, Ibiyeomie Others Attend / Faith Is A Race, Run Your Own / 5 Reasons Why Having Faith Is So Important (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Faith Is Bad by Seun(m): 3:26pm On Jun 18, 2016
One if the issues with religion is that it promotes the idea of believing something not because you have been convinced by rational arguments and objective evidence that it is true, but because you want to believe it and choose to believe it.

When beliefs are based on reason and evidence, they are very likely to be true or at least close to the truth. When they are not, they are very likely to be false and far from the truth. False beliefs cause people to make bad decisions which lead to worse outcomes for them and for society.

When most people in society base their beliefs on objective evidence and reason, their beliefs tend to converge towards a single consistent view of reality. This enables them to cooperate massively and achieve great things for all to enjoy e.g. in science. In faith based societies and institutions, differences of opinion are hard to resolve, because people dogmatically hold on to their conflicting beliefs, leading to chronic conflicts that often erupt into violence.

43 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by qloreal: 4:04pm On Jun 18, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Abduletudaye(m): 4:12pm On Jun 18, 2016
Hmm....Ucle Seun, i really dunno what to say...

Maybe if it hits FP.. undecided
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by ettaetta(m): 4:13pm On Jun 18, 2016
Faith in God or faith in the devil? Be specific becos not all religion are from God

1 Like

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by khattab008: 4:18pm On Jun 18, 2016
Seun, always trying hard to justify atheism.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by iliyande(m): 4:18pm On Jun 18, 2016
Faith is part of daytoday life even the non-believers.

Faith means being sure of the things we hope for and knowing that something is real even if we do not see it.

So what's your point now sir.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Abduletudaye(m): 4:21pm On Jun 18, 2016
khattab008:
Seun, always trying hard to justify atheism.

I never knew he was one..it was a friend of mine who put me in the know..
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Adesiji77: 4:21pm On Jun 18, 2016
Space booked..brb
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Liveair: 4:23pm On Jun 18, 2016
Faith never stands the test of Time, only Natural Laws do.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Omooba77: 4:24pm On Jun 18, 2016
Even the athiest too have FAITH there is no God. Faith is evidence of things hoped for and Assurance of what is expected.

17 Likes

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by khattab008: 4:24pm On Jun 18, 2016
Abduletudaye:

I never knew he was one..it was a friend of mine who put me in the know..

He chairs nairaland association of atheists.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Acidosis(m): 4:25pm On Jun 18, 2016
Seun:
One if the issues with religion is that it promotes the idea of believing something not because you have been convinced by rational arguments and objective evidence that it is true, but because you want to believe it and choose to believe it.

When beliefs are based on reason and evidence, they are very likely to be true or at least close to the truth. When they are not, they are very likely to be false and far from the truth. False beliefs cause people to make bad decisions which lead to worse outcomes for them and for society.

When most people in society base their beliefs on objective evidence and reason, their beliefs tend to converge towards a single consistent view of reality. This enables them to cooperate massively and achieve great things for all to enjoy e.g. in science. In faith based societies and institutions, differences of opinion are hard to resolve, because people dogmatically hold on to their beliefs, leading to chronic conflicts that often erupt into violence.

Do you believe in:

- being optimistic?
- positive confessions (using the case Muhammad Ali)?

If you believe in the above terms, then bipolar disorder is calling...

grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Scholar8200(m): 4:25pm On Jun 18, 2016
Seun:

Indeed! However, there are true beliefs which have caused (and is still causing) people to make good decisions and the society has been better of for it. A good example is how whole communities were transformed during revivals. Transformed insomuch that the police confessed of having no crimes to fight!

https://onecanhappen./2013/03/08/effects-of-the-welsh-revival-1904-05-whole-communities-were-radically-changed-from-depravity-to-glorious-goodness-the-crime-rate-dropped-often-to-nothing-the-underground-mines-echoed-with-the-soun/

When most people in society base their beliefs on objective evidence and reason, their beliefs tend to converge towards a single consistent view of reality. This enables them to cooperate massively and achieve great things for all to enjoy e.g. in science. In faith based societies and institutions, differences of opinion are hard to resolve, because people dogmatically hold on to their beliefs, leading to chronic conflicts that often erupt into violence.

Well, every system of belief has a group called the fanatics. Difficulty in resolution of differences occurs when people use religion as a smokescreen to mask other purposes.

Hence it will be wrong to judge that system of belief by that minority since it is clear that (at least in Christianity) these groups act beyond the tenets of faith of the larger group. The first point of consideration should have been an examination of what is believed.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by opeaceo: 4:26pm On Jun 18, 2016
This write up seems inconclusive.

1 Like

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by ever811(m): 4:27pm On Jun 18, 2016
and its good to know that no body is forced to have faith,..so keep ur theory to ur self and kind,l.thank u

1 Like

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by timidapsin(m): 4:29pm On Jun 18, 2016
I had a female friend bearing Faith and she was Good undecided

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Oladim001(m): 4:36pm On Jun 18, 2016
I dont even understand what Seun means with the post sef. I don't know what he's implying
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by haibe(m): 4:39pm On Jun 18, 2016
U have a point tho.. but u dont realise we all have faith in one thing or the other.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by bolt000(m): 4:41pm On Jun 18, 2016
I for one believe that faith isnt bad it just depends on how some minority set of people potray their show of religion, which comes about the word "extremism" i think "extremists" are the ones that cause people to believe that faith is bad, i believe every religion is beautiful in its own way. judging from the two most popular religions (islam and christianity) there are passages/chapters which talk about peace and there are some that talk about violence. i dont believe faith is bad i only believe extremists make faith look bad, thats why i cant fully say i am an athiest but sometimes when i am angry with God(which i do often) whenever i pray i do so talking to "whoever is listening"(thats what i say when i dont believe there is God) and not directly to God but i use FAITH to pray hoping there is somebody somewhere listening.
p.s: i cant categorically say faith is good or bad.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Seun(m): 4:41pm On Jun 18, 2016
Many people feel society should let people believe whatever they want to believe and not bother them as long as they are not imposing their beliefs on others. I disagree. All beliefs should be fair game for criticism, mockery and objective testing so that they can be abandoned if they are shown to be wrong. There should be no sacred cows because every wrong belief can cause harm.

26 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by opeaceo: 4:44pm On Jun 18, 2016
Oladim001:
I dont even understand what Seun means with the post sef. I don't know what he's implying
I thought I was the only one.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by opeaceo: 4:45pm On Jun 18, 2016
Seun:
Many people feel society should let people believe whatever they want to believe and not bother them as long as they are not imposing their beliefs on others. I disagree. All beliefs should be fair game for criticism, mockery and objective testing so that they can be abandoned if they are shown to be wrong. There should be no sacred cows because every wrong belief can cause harm.

Including atheism

1 Like

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jun 18, 2016
Belief/faith comes with reason on the part of the believer. Not third parties.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by yuzjet(m): 4:46pm On Jun 18, 2016
Faith and fate!
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by stainlex(m): 4:48pm On Jun 18, 2016
Seun:
Many people feel society should let people believe whatever they want to believe ans not bother them as long as they are not imposing their beliefs on others. I disagree. All beliefs should be fair game for criticism, mockery and objective testing so that they can be abandoned if they are shown to be wrong. There should be no sacred cows because every wrong belief can cause harm.
Word. Reminds me of a P. C. Hodgell quote that goes:

That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by bolt000(m): 4:52pm On Jun 18, 2016
stainlex:
Word. Reminds me of a P. C. Hodgell quote that goes:
I Love The Quote.
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Seun(m): 4:55pm On Jun 18, 2016
ettaetta:
Faith in God or faith in the devil? Be specific becos not all religion are from God
Faith in anything that is not true is bad. More people have been killed in the name of God than in the name of the devil.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Seun(m): 5:00pm On Jun 18, 2016
Omooba77:
Even the athiest too have FAITH there is no God.
No. The evidence for the existence of God is extremely poor and so for that reason don't believe it. Just as you dont believe in Superman. Also the Gods that are popular these days - omnipotent and omnibenevolent - can't logically exist because of the problem of evil.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by bolt000(m): 5:01pm On Jun 18, 2016
Seun:
Faith in anything that is not true is bad. More people have been killed in the name of God than in the name of the devil.

1 Like

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by Phi001(m): 5:04pm On Jun 18, 2016
Seun:
No. The evidence for the existence of God is extremely poor and so for that reason don't believe it. Just as you dont believe in Superman. Also the Gods that are popular these days - omnipotent and omnibenevolent - can't logically exist because of the problem of evil.
So basically, this is a wiki excerpt...
Re: Why Faith Is Bad by theoneJabulani(m): 5:05pm On Jun 18, 2016
nice thinking. Every form of belief should be available for fair and equal criticism and scrutiny

1 Like

Re: Why Faith Is Bad by FincoApps(m): 5:09pm On Jun 18, 2016
Seun:

You are VERY correct... that's probably why Nigeria is backward. When something becomes hopeless, you hear "With God, all things are possible"

1. We wanna play against brazil - With God all things are possible
2. You fell sick a week to your exam so know nothing - With God all things are possible
3. Some people create shitty apps but want to compete with companies like Fb and they still say - With God all things are possible

That kind of Faith to me is wrong faith

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Winners' Chapel Declares 7-Day Fasting For The Rescue Of The Soul Of Nigeria / Paul Adefarasin And Wife, Ifeanyi Adefarasin Celebrate 23rd Wedding Anniversary / Pastor Peace Ibiyeomie Celebrates Christmas With Widows And Orphans (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.