Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,060 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? (7419 Views)

Police Disrupt Vigil Service In Ghana, Arrest Pastor Over Noise (Photos) / Pastor 'Heals' A Mad Man In Imo During Monthly Vigil (Photos) / Interpetating Bibilical Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by oganamaster(m): 9:19am On Jul 03, 2016
Hello Nlders,
I have been wandering how Our own men of God have come to make Night vigil as part of the Christian worship programme. Do any body know where this is found in the Holy Book? I need to b enlightened more on this please. Because, instead of Coupls to have a nice friday nite Rest after a hectic Week, you see Them going for night vigil as if the solutions to Our life challenges can only be solved and prayers answered at vigils.

Lala Happy Sunday!
Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by hemartins(m): 9:20am On Jul 03, 2016
Yes it is biblical.
I would buttress my point with some scriptures.

Jesus prayed all night.
Luke 6:12
It was at this time that He went off to the mountain to pray, and He spent the whole night in prayer to God.

Jacob wrestled till day break
Genesis 32:24
Then Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him until daybreak.

Samuel Prayed all night
1 Samuel 15:11
"I regret that I have made Saul king, for he has turned back from following Me and has not carried out My commands " And Samuel was distressed and cried out to the LORD all night.

David praised God at night
Psalm 119:62
At midnight I shall rise to give thanks to You Because of Your righteous ordinances.

Paul and Silas sang and prayed at midnight
Acts 16:25
But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God, and the prisoners were listening to them;

Other verses that may also show the essence of vigil

Lamentations 2:19
"Arise, cry aloud in the night At the beginning of the night watches; Pour out your heart like water Before the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to Him For the life of your little ones Who are faint because of hunger At the head of every street."

2 Samuel 12:16
David therefore inquired of God for the child; and David fasted and went and lay all night on the ground.

Psalm 63:6
When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches,

Psalm 119:148
My eyes anticipate the night watches, That I may meditate on Your word.

Psalm 119:55
O LORD, I remember Your name in the night, And keep Your law.

Psalm 134:1
Behold, bless the LORD, all servants of the LORD, Who serve by night in the house of the LORD!

God Bless You.

1 Like

Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by adegunwa4real(m): 9:24am On Jul 03, 2016
Yes na...Jesus did it, the Apostles too...
Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by Kondomatic(m): 9:31am On Jul 03, 2016
Det 12:42 The lord kept vigil to bring the people of israel out of egypt.
Mathew 26:40 Jesus kept vigil but not all night.
Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by oganamaster(m): 9:31am On Jul 03, 2016
[quote author=adegunwa4real post=47157559]Yes na...Jesus did it, the Apostles too..

Which passage of th bible? And Was Jesus Vigil done every friday the way our churches do now? Did they collect offeering too like they do now?
Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by oganamaster(m): 9:37am On Jul 03, 2016
Kondomatic:
Det 12:42 The lord kept vigil to bring the people of israel out of egypt.

Mathew 26:40 Jesus kept vigil but not all night.
. Thanks! But why Do ours hold all nite and offerings collected @ night vigils?
Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by Nobody: 9:47am On Jul 03, 2016
Jesus did it..... His apostles did it too.. So its biblical
Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by Nobody: 10:05am On Jul 03, 2016
oganamaster:
. Thanks! But why Do ours hold all nite and offerings collected @ night vigils?

How would i know... buh man must wack.... or it cud be a divine ministration to the pastor so that y'all be blessed.. u know 'give and it shall be given '
Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by babyfaceafrica: 10:24am On Jul 03, 2016
crixtex:

How would i know... buh man must wack.... or it cud be a divine ministration to the pastor so that y'all be blessed.. u know 'give and it shall be given '
lol
Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by Igolasko: 6:17am On Jan 20, 2017
Night vigil is biblical but is should not be turned to money raising venture.Your act and deed should not disturb others that are observing nature .
That is the more reason churches should not be sited in residential places ,if sited the noise should be guided that it doesn't attract sickness to neighbouring people when they are been denied from sleeping because you are talking to God .

1 Like

Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by jackomagnus(m): 1:31am On Oct 31, 2018
Arrant nonsense!
Night vigil is not part of Christianity!
Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by Chukwujapheth: 6:57pm On Jul 05, 2019
The bible spoke of night vigil, but there is nothing very special to it, Jesus kept vigil because his cup was near.
Although Jesus went with his Deciples whom eventually fell asleep, Jesus did not condemn their actions in particular, he told them to pray so as not to be tempted.

What the Churches are doing are very wrong.
The whole concept of Church in this era are all wrong.
Churches of these days are nothing but business.

Night Vigil is a personal something.
So is Fasting
Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by SirJimmie: 1:41am On Nov 05, 2022
If any one could noticed above scripture quotes, only Paul and Silas used hmm and sings to praise, so isn't biblical to sing, clap and drum beat at night vigil
Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by Kobojunkie: 2:27am On Nov 05, 2022
Igolasko:
Night vigil is biblical but is should not be turned to money raising venture.Your act and deed should not disturb others that are observing nature .
That is the more reason churches should not be sited in residential places ,if sited the noise should be guided that it doesn't attract sickness to neighbouring people when they are been denied from sleeping because you are talking to God .
Your night vigils aren't scriptural. They are instead of the doctrines and rituals of your many mogs ( pastors and their churches). Jesus Christ did not give His followers commandments of such and as such all those who engage in such rituals using the name of God do so against God. undecided
Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by Kobojunkie: 2:27am On Nov 05, 2022
jackomagnus:
Arrant nonsense!

Definition not! undecided
Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by Kobojunkie: 2:30am On Nov 05, 2022
Chukwujapheth:
The bible spoke of night vigil, but there is nothing very special to it, Jesus kept vigil because his cup was near. Although Jesus went with his Deciples whom eventually fell asleep, Jesus did not condemn their actions in particular, he told them to pray so as not to be tempted. What the Churches are doing are very wrong. The whole concept of Church in this era are all wrong. Churches of these days are nothing but business.

Night Vigil is a personal something. So is Fasting
First of all, Jesus Christ did not command your night vigils so your rituals have nothing to do with Jesus Christ who clearly indicated that those who belong to Him are those who do as He asks - John 15 vs 14 undecided

Second, Jesus Christ kept vigil on the night of Passover when He was to be arrested but He never instructed His followers to follow His example. So, ignoring that which Jesus Christ in fact commands, to instead do as you think He did is against Jesus Christ. undecided

Lastly, you are free to do as you choose but never do as you choose using the name of God or pretending you do so in honor of God. You sin against God by those acts. undecided
Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by Kobojunkie: 2:33am On Nov 05, 2022
SirJimmie:
If any one could noticed above scripture quotes, only Paul and Silas used hmm and sings to praise, so isn't biblical to sing, clap and drum beat at night vigil
Jesus Christ explicitly stated that He does not seek nor desire praise from any human being. He discouraged the praising of His person by humans.
40 But you refuse to come to me to have that life.
41 “I don’t want praise from you or any other human.
42 But I know you—I know that you have no love for God.
43 I have come from my Father and speak for him, but you don’t accept me. But when other people come speaking only for themselves, you accept them. 44 You like to have praise from each other. But you never try to get the praise that comes from the only God. So how can you believe? - John 5 vs 40 - 44
The same Jesus Christ said that those who do what He commands are those who belong to Him.
13 The greatest love people can show is to die for their friends. 
14 You are my friends if you do what I tell you to do. 
15 I no longer call you servants, because servants don’t know what their master is doing. But now I call you friends, because I have told you everything that my Father told me. - John 15 vs 13 - 15
So what Paul and Silas are recorded to have done were Paul and Silas doing what they were doing. Jesus Christ never asked any of His followers to do as the others did... instead, He said those who belong to Him, Jesus Christ, are those who do as He, Jesus Christ, asks. undecided
Re: 'Night Vigil' Is It Bibilical? by MaxInDHouse(m): 7:10am On Nov 05, 2022
jackomagnus:

Arrant nonsense!

Of course it is but it's strictly personal not to be declared publicly {Matthew 6:6} because it's between you and your Creator alone calling other believers would have unchristian because Jesus never taught his disciples to practice vigil as part of Christian ministry! undecided

(1) (Reply)

"There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? / Catholic Priest, Caught Kissing, handling Woman (video) / How To Discover Your Purpose, Or Destiny?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.