Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,034 members, 7,818,055 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read (18859 Views)

Is it Safe to Buy a Car with High Mileage? / Is It Possible For A Car Doing 120/km To Overtake Another At The Same Speed? / 15 Places You Must Never Overtake The Car In Front Of You When Driving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read by banmee(m): 7:11am On Jul 04, 2016
Fact: No Nigerian, born in Nigeria and grew up in Nigeria knows how to drive. There is more to driving than getting behind the wheel of a vehicle. True story; My organisation sent me to Germany to complete a project. It was supposed to take three years to complete but it eventually stretched out to six years. In all of those years, I did not see one accident. I know what you are thinking. You are thinking, "what's so special about that". Well, Germany is a country where you can drive as fast as you want on their autobahn. 200km, 300km, 400km, it does not matter. Imagine driving that fast and not seeing any accident. Do you know why that is? Because they understand that driving is a privilege and not a right. You phuck up and they take your driving privileges away quicker than you can blink an eye. I know what you are thinking again. You are thinking, "and so"? Well, to get a drivers license is almost as difficult as passing a Bar exam. And very expensive too. Almost 2,000 Euro. Who would want to risk being s.tupid behind a vehicle. Nigerians don't understand the responsibilities involved in owning and operating a vehicle and it's a shame. They think it is their right to drive. This is why people die like chickens on a daily basis.

2 Likes

Re: How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read by Jarus(m): 7:17am On Jul 04, 2016
timidapsin:
Mention me when this hits front-page...

E don happen.
Re: How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read by illuminada: 7:22am On Jul 04, 2016
bellong:
2. Check your blind spot..

If you set your side mirror properly there is nothing called blind spot.

Blind spot only exist if your side mirror is not well set and positioned. A vehicle you can't see in a well positioned side mirror is already beside you which you will see anyway.

Errrm...Sir **coughs**

I see your point...beht the foreign folks who developed these procedures may have a superior argument. 'Shoulder checking' is always a good practice when passing (overtaking). Don't forget that the car in the blind spot is also in motion, and an accident could occur in split seconds if you do not take care to check that blind spot. Could also lead to failing a drive test if not done.
Re: How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read by emmaliver(m): 7:42am On Jul 04, 2016
Ok
Re: How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read by bellong: 8:06am On Jul 04, 2016
illuminada:

Errrm...Sir **coughs**

I see your point...beht the foreign folks who developed these procedures may have a superior argument. 'Shoulder checking' is always a good practice when passing (overtaking). Don't forget that the car in the blind spot is also in motion, and an accident could occur in split seconds if you do not take care to check that blind spot. Could also lead to failing a drive test if not done.

No they don't have a superior argument, you tend to drive in the direction you face. While turning sideway, you risk the disaster of turning your steering in the direction you look.

Real drivers, not those driver's trainers who impose blind spot on trainees, understand that there is more danger turning your head checking for blindspot.

While overtaking a car, you see it in your side mirror that you are ahead, once you can see the full front in the inner mirror, at that point it is safe to overtake.
Re: How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read by EJanni(f): 8:07am On Jul 04, 2016
Proffdada:
tell that to female drivers undecided
you don't want to take the advice now, Mr over SABInus . over confidence kills o
Re: How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read by Nobody: 9:11am On Jul 04, 2016

1 Like

Re: How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 04, 2016
If all this guy's get bicycle nko how them go overtake

Re: How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read by Daniel4RenMoney: 10:02am On Jul 04, 2016
RenMoney offers loans to salary earners between NGN50,000 - NGN2.5million, with NO COLLATERAL!!
You must earn NGN50,000 and above, plus prompt disbursement. RenMoney also offers Fixed Deposit and Target Savings at unbeatable interest rates. Call 0809 975 3858 www.renmoneyng.com
Hey, RenMoney is now in Abuja! Don't wait to be Told!! Call Daniel - 0809 975 3858
Re: How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read by Proffdada: 10:21am On Jul 04, 2016
EJanni:
you don't want to take the advice now, Mr over SABInus . over confidence kills o
what point are you recklessly driving at?

1 Like

Re: How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read by EJanni(f): 11:37am On Jul 04, 2016
Proffdada:
lol, I'm a lady and I don't drive recklessly. I only carefully want u to that in driving no one is above mistake and accident. Shalom
Re: How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read by EJanni(f): 11:38am On Jul 04, 2016
Proffdada:
lol, I'm a lady and I don't drive recklessly. I only carefully want u to know that in driving no one is above mistake and accident. Shalom

1 Like

Re: How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read by Proffdada: 11:41am On Jul 04, 2016
EJanni:
lol, I'm a lady and I don't drive recklessly. I only carefully want u to know that in driving no one is above mistake and accident. Shalom
OK, lady. I guess not all female drivers but most

1 Like

Re: How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read by Dynamitehimself(m): 11:05am On Jul 05, 2016
This is very informative. Thanks op
Re: How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read by evergold(m): 12:51pm On Jul 06, 2016
Hey everyone,

Please I may soon be moving to Lagos and I wanted to find out if it is possible to ride a bicycle from Ado Road in Ajah to lekki phase 1.

I also wanted to know in the absence of bicycle, what other transport option I have and how much it will cost daily.

Thanks.

(Modify) (Q
Re: How To Determine When It's Safe To Overtake (Photos) A Must Read by AutosBay(m): 1:21pm On Jul 06, 2016
Would suggest you take public transport, asides the security risk of riding bicycles lekki- ajah roads are very wide and most drivers barely observe speed limits would sincerely implore you use commercial mini buses from ado to lekki phase 1 in total should not exceed 100 naira at most 150 depending on the area inside the lekki phase 1 estate, just my suggestion

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bentley Unveils The World’s First Luxury Hybrid SUV With 31mile Plug-in Range / 15 Awesome Toyota Facts You Have To Know / Inside Kazeem's Dictionary: Nicknames For Car Parts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.