Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

Villages Are Disappearing From Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Villages Are Disappearing From Nigeria. (983 Views)

Hundreds Of Boko Haram Terrorists Raid Villages In Borno / Obasanjo And The $1billion Disappearing Lagos To Kano Railline Money-Iweala / BREAKING NEWS: Militants Raid Akwa Ibom Villages, Rape Housewives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Villages Are Disappearing From Nigeria. by becomrich15: 5:21pm On Sep 08, 2009
villages are disappearing from Nigeria.

contrast to people believe in Nigeria

About 44 to 49 % of nigerian lived in the 81 cities with population above 300,000 , I once listed.

And another 23 to 26 % live in another 280 cities which i would list later, with population from 40,000 to 300,000

while just   19 to 24 %  live below towns, or villages less than 40,000

it shows immigration is affecting Urban movement. And it is danger to Nigeria food production, which you already seen in more import.

People are moving away from the villages and agriclture. while our cities have increase in size.

The south east have the largest concentration of linear settlement in Nigeria.

Re: Villages Are Disappearing From Nigeria. by jazzsoul: 7:06pm On Sep 08, 2009
becomrich,:

contrast to people believe in Nigeria

About 44 to 49 % of nigerian lived in the 81 cities with population above 300,000 , I once listed.

And another 23 to 26 % live in another 280 cities which i would list later, with population from 40,000 to 300,000

while just 19 to 24 % live below towns, or villages less than 40,000

it shows immigration is affecting Urban movement. And it is danger to Nigeria food production, which you already seen in more export.

People are moving away from the villages and agriclture. while our cities have increase in size.

The south east have the largest concentration of linear settlement in Nigeria.

Becoomrich, there you go again crying wolf. Your post is loaded with contradictions. You stated that rural-urban migration has led to the neglect of agriculture and thus a danger to food production. Then you conlude that this has led to more food export. How can that be possible?

Nigerian has not had a credible census since 1963 so it is strange that you can cook up these stats with any degree of certainty. I will like some of the kool-aid you are drinking.
Re: Villages Are Disappearing From Nigeria. by becomrich15: 7:46pm On Sep 08, 2009
No I did not cook up the stat. I made a mistake when i said export. I wanted to say import, it was in my head. And i had to run.

My degree of accurancy is close to 90%.

I did show you how small villages looks like. if we say, width and length is 0.3 and .3 which is the average. . you have an area of 0.09

if we assume an average of  let say 500 villages per state.  It give you .09 X 500 = 45 sq km.  average coverage area of villages in state , not uniform.  A city with  length and width of 9 km by 5 km is about the same size with 500 villages. (all things been equal).

I dont have the time. may be later. you would see the calculation, 

I dont have the time to show you my analysis.
Re: Villages Are Disappearing From Nigeria. by Fhemmmy: 8:08pm On Sep 08, 2009
What would you expect, when the city is getting better by day, the villages cant boast of nothing.
The lands are getting harder to tilt.
The workers are hungry.
Everyone is busy looking for some oil to steal and sell.
No mechanization to make life easier for the farmers.
Most farmers sent their kids to school and never wanted them to be a farmer.
So nothing can change this, till the govt see it as a problem, invest more into agriculture, allow the farmers to get access to some loans and equipment rentals.
Re: Villages Are Disappearing From Nigeria. by jazzsoul: 8:12pm On Sep 08, 2009
Where did you get your population figures for these extrapolations? Nigeria has not had a reliable census in recent times. You often state your assumptions as facts. Give us facts to back up your figures.
Re: Villages Are Disappearing From Nigeria. by Fhemmmy: 8:13pm On Sep 08, 2009
jazzsoul:

Where did you get your population figures for these extrapolations? Nigeria has not had a reliable census in recent times. You often state your assumptions as facts. Give us facts to back up your figures.

Even without fact, it is common sense.
Re: Villages Are Disappearing From Nigeria. by jazzsoul: 8:32pm On Sep 08, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Fhemmmy, I asked Becoomrich where he derived his population figures since there has been no verifiable census. Rural-urban drift has been written about forever so nothing new. The policy makers are deaf to this phenom.

I do not care about common sense but rather scientific analysis based on facts. If you cannot answer direct questions then do not jump into the exchange.
Re: Villages Are Disappearing From Nigeria. by whiteroses(f): 8:44pm On Sep 08, 2009
Villages Are Disappearing From Nigeria and all the witches in it
Re: Villages Are Disappearing From Nigeria. by spoOne: 9:12pm On Sep 08, 2009
Fhemmmy:

seconded!
It is quite obvious that's there's been urbanization in Nigeria for a while now for the reasons you've stated here, and possibly more.
Re: Villages Are Disappearing From Nigeria. by becomrich15: 10:21pm On Sep 08, 2009
my stat is coming from the satellite pictures. i got as far as 0 level to see the small villages and measure the area coverage and do random sample of each settlement. You can manuval google earth to see , even areas not yet open by google. and still do measurement. Google earth is world software.

in nigeria an average house have more than 15 people living in them, which compare to the usa may be less. Even some areas in nigeria have more 25 or 30 average. what i have done is to take random sample and also measure the area coverage. using this average figure as a general rule. even while i know it may vary.

I came to my conclusion.

About 49 % +- 5% of nigerian lived in the 81 cities with population above 300,000 , I once listed.

And another 26 % +- 5% of live in another 280 cities which i would list later, with population from 40,000 to 300,000

while just 24 % +- 5% of live below towns, or villages less than 40,000

It was very easy to , it as taken me month to do this. i still continue this work.

I group this settlement into 3 class.

the 3rd class are towns with less than 2600 houses.

Like i said this calculation are based with all things been equal, there are factors that can alter the figures. So that is why I say + - 5% accurate.
Re: Villages Are Disappearing From Nigeria. by inspiredm(m): 11:06pm On Sep 08, 2009
Becomerich

Please show us Maps & Satellite Imageries to Butress your Point wink
Re: Villages Are Disappearing From Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:02am On Sep 09, 2009
Bemomerich, Becooomrich, Becomrich,$, the list goes on.
Dont you think the time spent modifying your username and posting satellite pics can be better utilized.
Gee, maybe like spending time in an ESL class or something.
Re: Villages Are Disappearing From Nigeria. by bilymuse: 1:40pm On Sep 10, 2009
Becomrich

About 49 % +- 5% of nigerian lived in the 81 cities with population above 300,000 , I once listed.

And another 26 % +- 5% of live in another 280 cities which i would list later, with population from 40,000 to 300,000

while just 24 % +- 5% of live below towns, or villages less than 40,000

It was very easy to , it as taken me month to do this. i still continue this work.

I group this settlement into 3 class.

Based on your analysis and conclusion, can you tell us the standard deviation observed with respect to the different region of the country

(1) (Reply)

Religious Crisis In Jos! / No Darfur: Yoruba Restates Call For Self-determination To Make North Majority / It’s Now Becoming Obvious That Nigeria Is A Terrorist Country.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.