Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,590 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is (33454 Views)

Declare Kogi Oil Producing State Now - Lawmakers To Buhari / Rivers Is Not Edo, Oraye Tells Amaechi / See What Was Spotted At Rumuigbo Junction,Portharcourt,Rivers,Is This Safe?(pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by onismate: 9:56am On Jul 06, 2016
Welcome to Oproama, a riverine community in Asari Toru local Government in Rivers state. Oproama community is surrounded by water, but a lonely island far from mainland of development. Making it an abandoned treasure and oil base.

The first time I arrived this community for my NYSC primary assignment, I felt this unimaginable love for this community even when the environment seem dry and far from Government recognition, development for an oil producing community. This is a community Shell, a global oil company explores oil, and yet Oproama can’t boost of electricity power supply for over one year. I came into this community to serve my country in November 2015, I didn’t see any traces of electricity power supply. Now am rounding up, this is July 2016 and yet Oproama is still in darkness. Light never come there.

Going to Oproama is by boat. When you are coming to Oproama community, just forget about mobile network communication. Once you land at the community jetty, the mobile network on your phone flies out as if you are on “lonely island” without communication. There is poor service for the 4 main telecom network in Nigeria in that community. Even when there is any form of network for the networks in terms of calls, it fluctuates, comes and goes like PHCN light that is not constant. For internet service, just forget about browsing when you come to this community.

I think the ministry of environment needs to visit this community. I just hope we won’t experience an outbreak of airborne or another form of diseases. This is because indigenes don’t have any reasonable place to empty dirts, wastes. They empty every of their waste inside their water, and they are surrounded by water. Their toilet waste is inside the water, unused thrash and other waste is that same water. And they swim the water, get fishes from this same water. A close observation when visiting this community, one will discover that the entrance of the jetty is smelling due to wasted deposited into the water. In as much as Corp members posted to that area are trying their best on sensitization, alternative ways of depositing their waste products, the Government needs to do something positive so that indigenes won’t be empting their dirts into the water. Ofcourse it’s a flowing water which channels to other areas. When dirts are being emptied into the water, it moves to another place. Some one might say it’s okay since it’s a flowing water so the dirts are not static. But it’s not. What of the dirts that is coming into the community! It’s water pollution and so many uses the water to bath. Any outbreak in the water, it spreads too.
Every morning when I see some youths who will refuse to do anything tangible with their lives, but rather play football all morning, get their teenage girls pregnant. All because amnesty money, allowance is entering their bank accounts monthly. But notwithstanding, the ones that are ready to go to school and learn, the state of the schools in that community is not encouraging to study. Even top politicians, oil workers can’t send their children to that kind of school environment to study. And yet Government is making money from this school, getting oil. Oil companies are doing good business there.
Why can’t the Government of Nigeria help this community? Ehhh why?

Even if am not from this community, Oproama, it automatically becomes mine because am serving here and am part of the growth and development, and also share in the pain. The Government should endevour to give them a better source of clean water. Since I have been there, I have only seen just one tap which only works just once a week. Probably gives water for 30 minutes and shuts down. Then wait till another 2 weeks again. I want the Federal and state Government to visit this community. They need good health care services.

http://hovabuzz.com/frontline/1165-my-community-and-i-oproama-a-lonely-island-community-far-from-the-mainland

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by donbenedict(m): 9:57am On Jul 06, 2016
Hmm, is buhari waiting for me to come and clean this place?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by mcversatile(m): 9:57am On Jul 06, 2016
The kelp of God is all we need.
Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by onismate: 10:00am On Jul 06, 2016
The conducive classrooms

. Alert On environmental disease outbreak. Am not writing this to spite on the Government, but for them to come to the aid of this community, Oproama in Rivers state.

Ministry of Environment
Ministry of Health
Rivers state Government
Federal Government.

lalasticlala. Please push this to homepage

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by cornoil(m): 10:33am On Jul 06, 2016
Many communities in Niger Delta are in this same state, GEJ really disapointed his people, with his 6 yrs in governance Niger Delta should ve turned to London by now.

120 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by sainty2k3(m): 10:36am On Jul 06, 2016
I know people start shouting Buhari.
I expect militant from this place to kidnap odili ,Amaechi, and every senator ,fed Honorable that has ever represented them . who shared the 13% derivatives( this needs to be increased) and huge state allocation/IGR for the past 17years and still neglected them. its only after this that we have the right to complain about PDP and APC or buhari

98 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by veekid(m): 12:20pm On Jul 06, 2016
E no concern me
Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jul 06, 2016
When you come across this kind of community, you cant help not been heart broken, to think about the pains they go through coupled with the fact that their land is nourished with black gold.

Their own used 6yrs on an exaulted seat, yet all he could do is turn into a 'father Christmas'.... Sharing every and everything. Yet, the community belongs to a state government

The present day government should look into the problem of this community and likes. Let's all enjoy the dividend of quality Democracy.

Anyways...

DrabeeyWasHere

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by Proffdada: 12:21pm On Jul 06, 2016
This is my MAIN reason I dislike that man from otuoke
He had all opportunity and responsibilty yet sat back and drank sapele water while the wife squandered the country's money undecided
angry

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by Brendaniel: 12:22pm On Jul 06, 2016
I blame the people of Niger Delta for their problems, what more do they want?

1. Ministry of Niger Delta affairs
2. NDDC
3. Their states have the highest of allocations from the federal government.
4. The big oil companies still give the state government and traditional rulers various financial assistance.

And yet they cry that the federal government is neglecting them

How?

Their governors and big boys of these ministries and agencies enrich themselves so much from the same money the federal government is providing to cater for these same set of people crying marginalization, yet they never hold their leaders accountable, they protect them and even cry foul when the federal government tries to hold their leaders accountable for these funds given to them,

Let's ask ourselves these question, since the creation of these ministries, Agencies and bodies responsible for the Niger Delta. Has there ever been any complain of under-funding, including the states themselves, they still receive the highest till date,

So who is the fool here?

69 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by EagleScribes: 12:22pm On Jul 06, 2016
sainty2k3:
I expect militant from this place to kidnap odili ,Amaechi, and every senator ,fed Honorable that has ever represented them . who shared the 13% derivatives( this needs to be increased) and huge state allocation/IGR for the past 17years and still neglected them. its only after this that we have the right to complain about PDP and APC or buhari

You've said it all

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by hucienda: 12:22pm On Jul 06, 2016
Plays to the narrative of the avengers.

1 Like

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by AntiWailer: 12:23pm On Jul 06, 2016
cornoil:
Many communities in Niger Delta are in this same state, GEJ really disapointed his people, with his 6 yrs in governance Niger Delta should ve turned to London by now.

and they still want him to continue ?

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by nintal(m): 12:23pm On Jul 06, 2016
And so what?

1 Like

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by Nienie(f): 12:23pm On Jul 06, 2016
This is sad
Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by Mimisboygreat: 12:23pm On Jul 06, 2016
CHAI!!!!
Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by dannytoe(m): 12:23pm On Jul 06, 2016
This is what you get when you give 5% to bubu, so expect 5% in return............ trade by bater......... proudly 5%

4 Likes

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by AntiWailer: 12:24pm On Jul 06, 2016
sainty2k3:

Tompolo was collecting Multi Billion Naira contracts and can not do anything to the environment they claim they are struggling for before they hit jackpot.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by Johnsinia(m): 12:24pm On Jul 06, 2016
sainty2k3:
we will also hold Buhari and APC responsible bc Ameachi uses Rivers state money to sponsor Buhari and the APC elections

11 Likes

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by mmsen: 12:25pm On Jul 06, 2016
cornoil:

He was the President of Nigeria for 5 years. That meant that he had other concerns besides the Niger Delta, such as:
Building schools for people whose parents refuse to send them to school
Building universities (in the North)
Dealing with Islamic insurgents in the North
Making deals for the renovation of the rail network
Selling Nigeria's potential at the World Economic Forum

You forget that these Niger Delta states have governors. Akwa Ibom and Cross River State have used their resources well, you can see the work that has been done. Bayelsa had seen practically no development from independence until it became a state, they've been working to get up to speed. Rivers, on the other hand, is a disgrace. So much money has been wasted in that state - from the monorail to the world class hospital that never was.

20 Likes

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by Godswillnwaoma(m): 12:25pm On Jul 06, 2016
Sometimes I don't blame militant in bombing oil facilities in Niger delta Ares.

1 Like

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by packman: 12:25pm On Jul 06, 2016
[size=15pt]WOW AM BACK AFTER

1 YEAR OF BANNING MUAH...

NAIRALAND THERE IS GOD OOOO

LOL

ANYWAYS

SIA BUHARI...

and to all those about to shout BUHARI... you better look at the picture again... because those Picture do not look like a year JOB

BEING FROM THE sOUTH sOUTH part of Nigeria...

I can categorically tell you that the person that REMEMBERED TO TAKE THIS PICTURE AT THIS TIME IS VERY DAFT...

SOORYY OOO I DON'T MEAN TO OFFEND YOU...

ALL THE GOD FORSAKING YEARS WASTED BY THAT DULLARD CALLED PRESIDENT should have been used for treating some of this Issues..

but no hE decided to Seat his Ass there and Shared The Money... What A fool

Anyways Lets Keep our Finger Crossed and see what impact this pics would produce..

Please Quote Me Not.... Else.... You can go through my Post and See...

Packman Is Back...

thumbs U[p [/size]

12 Likes

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by Aikon: 12:25pm On Jul 06, 2016
The inhabitants of the area have a hand in this. The Federal government did not litter the place

8 Likes

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by millionaireman: 12:26pm On Jul 06, 2016
Yorobats and Abokis do not care a hoot about your pictures of polluted and abandoned South south communities.

They regard the communities as areas they conquered.

1 Like

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by guiddoti: 12:27pm On Jul 06, 2016
donbenedict:
Hmm, is buhari waiting for me to come and clean this place?
with all Asari and tompolo have acquired is enough for these men to do the cleaning. NDDC n Niger Delta ministry. Amnesty program n oil dérivation. haha abi Niger delta avenger na another brainwash ni

7 Likes

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by lonelydora: 12:27pm On Jul 06, 2016
The third pix is the community's toilet where everyone come to deposit their poo directly into the sea. Most times, you see fishes swimming around the area to devour any available poo immediately it lands into to the waters.

When you visit places like this with all 'their' oil, you will begin to cause Lord Luggard and Flora his bae.

2 Likes

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 06, 2016
grin 5 %
Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by millionaireman: 12:27pm On Jul 06, 2016
Yorobats and Abokis don't care a hoot about those pictures of polluted and abandoned South south areas.

2 Likes

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by Misspatience89(f): 12:28pm On Jul 06, 2016
that isn't cool
Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by kikake: 12:30pm On Jul 06, 2016
Check out another southsouth-southeast federal road.

Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by Histrings08(m): 12:31pm On Jul 06, 2016
Pfft.. They must av cried nd cried but their voices were not heard, hence they resolve to hostility... Tz not bout buhari govt, Tz bout Fg nd those companies exploring oil from that region
Re: Oproama: How Dirty, Deserted This Oil Producing Community In Rivers Is by manuel80(m): 12:31pm On Jul 06, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Residents Cry Out As Contractor Abandon Road Projects (Photos) / International Conference Centre: Obiano Visits Project Site In Awka.(photos) / 'Ban El-Rufai' - Reno Omokri Petitions EU, UK As 11,000 Sign Petition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.