Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,761 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning (2251 Views)

My RAV 4 2005 Model Keeps Overheating / Toyota Rav 4 Brain Box Issue / Help My Car Doesn't Steem Fine In The Morning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by olaolayinkuz(f): 3:15pm On Jul 06, 2016
Pls I need your help guys, My car(RAV 4 2000 model) brings out smoke when I start it early in the morning , this lasts for about 2-3 minutes before the smoke stops, the check engine has been coming on and off for sometime now , pls treat as urgent. Thank u
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 06, 2016
Are you sure it is not steam?
What color is the smoke?

2 Likes

Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by Chibzee2: 12:45am On Jul 07, 2016
Depends on the exact colour of the smoke. which is it?
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by olaolayinkuz(f): 1:11am On Jul 07, 2016
It is smoke, infact not only in the morning ,it now smokes when I starts it anytime it is been parked for 3>4 hours
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by olaolayinkuz(f): 1:14am On Jul 07, 2016
[quote author=0rex post=47269292]Are you sure it is not steam?
What color is the smoke?
It looks like the steam, but smells like smoke
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by Nobody: 8:28am On Jul 07, 2016
Check the level of your engine oil, brake fluid and coolant to see if any of them has dropped or is dropping.
You still have not stated the colour of the smoke, it's important for accurate diagnosis with limited typing.
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by olaolayinkuz(f): 12:42pm On Jul 07, 2016
0rex:

Check the level of your engine oil, brake fluid and coolant to see if any of them has dropped or is dropping.
You still have not stated the colour of the smoke, it's important for accurate diagnosis with limited typing.
yes thank you, the engine oil has reduced a little, though no sign of dropping, but around the engine cover is kind of wet. Others are normal
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by olaolayinkuz(f): 12:44pm On Jul 07, 2016
It has no colour, it is just like the normal steam that comes out before, but it is now much and has odour like smoke.

1 Like

Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jul 07, 2016
Looks like head gasket leak allowing slight coolant leak into the engine, you should take the car for inspection by a competent mechanic and always keep an eye on your temperature gauge pending when you do that.
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jul 07, 2016
olaolayinkuz:
yes thank you, the engine oil has reduced a little, though no sign of dropping, but around the engine cover is kind of wet. Others are normal
Pls post a picture & ensure the oil lid is well tightened by hand.
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:26pm On Jul 07, 2016
olaolayinkuz:
It has no colour, it is just like the normal steam that comes out before, but it is now much and has odour like smoke.
if its whitish then there is no problem! But if its kinda dark cloudy then there might be problem. Hw regularly do u change oil?
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by olaolayinkuz(f): 9:38am On Jul 08, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
if its whitish then there is no problem! But if its kinda dark cloudy then there might be problem. Hw regularly do u change oil?
I change the oil (synthetic castrol oil) every 3_4 months, the smoke is not dark at all.
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by olaolayinkuz(f): 9:40am On Jul 08, 2016
My mechanic told me that the engine is getting bad, another said I should change oil. All this mechanic wahala sef , am confused
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by olaolayinkuz(f): 9:42am On Jul 08, 2016
0rex:

I will post the pictures, thank u so much orex

1 Like

Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by NOETHNICITY(m): 10:20am On Jul 08, 2016
olaolayinkuz:
I change the oil (synthetic castrol oil) every 3_4 months, the smoke is not dark at all.
Don't know much about that oil! If u live in Ilorin I could refer u to a trustworthy machanic.
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by OCTAVO: 12:17pm On Jul 08, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
Don't know much about that oil! If u live in Ilorin I could refer u to a trustworthy machanic.
Where is your mechanic located in Ilorin?
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 08, 2016
OCTAVO:

Good question. I might be interested in knowing him too.
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by lawsta(m): 3:11pm On Jul 08, 2016
the silencer could emit (1 steam water vapor, whitish), (2) blue smoke, (3 black smoke, (4 blue smoke and steam, (5 black smoke and steam,) (6 steam or water always
1. is normal and desirable, quite likely in cool weather, .will stop when car really warmed up
2. caused by gap in valve oil seal, gap in piston and ring or both, engine is burning oil, engine oil level will gradually go down based on the volume of the smoke and distance traveled.
3. is too much petrol supply, petrol will drastically finished
4. is 1 and 2
5. is 3 and 4

6. not good, may be bad gasket, water is mixing with exhaust.
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by NOETHNICITY(m): 4:14pm On Jul 08, 2016
OCTAVO:

At Olounsogo area. The guy is a genius.
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by OCTAVO: 5:06pm On Jul 08, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
At Olounsogo area. The guy is a genius.
I have someone @ Olorunsogo area too. What's the name of the person you are talking about?
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by NOETHNICITY(m): 6:42pm On Jul 08, 2016
OCTAVO:

I have someone @ Olorunsogo area too. What's the name of the person you are talking about?
His name is Abbey but I can't rmber the name of his workshop. Fair in complexion! The guy is good.
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by olaolayinkuz(f): 9:14pm On Jul 08, 2016
lawsta:
the silencer could emit (1 steam water vapor, whitish), (2) blue smoke, (3 black smoke, (4 blue smoke and steam, (5 black smoke and steam,) (6 steam or water always
1. is normal and desirable, quite likely in cool weather, .will stop when car really warmed up
2. caused by gap in valve oil seal, gap in piston and ring or both, engine is burning oil, engine oil level will gradually go down based on the volume of the smoke and distance traveled.
3. is too much petrol supply, petrol will drastically finished
4. is 1 and 2
5. is 3 and 4

6. not good, may be bad gasket, water is mixing with exhaust.
thank u so much lawsta, the smoke is kind of bluish with steam, as in your no 4.
I have seen your analysis, what do you suggest I should do? As in solution
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by olaolayinkuz(f): 10:09am On Jul 09, 2016
0rex:

Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by ikdaddy01(m): 11:41am On Jul 09, 2016
olaolayinkuz:
thank u so much lawsta, the smoke is kind of bluish with steam, as in your no 4.
Just like some1 said, it depends on de level of daily oil shortage. Especially after a busy day.
Am not sure its has gotten too bad. Thats if u re having oil shortage.
De way, when de smoke starts coming out, try have an object close to de exhust. i use my hand when its cold, in 10 seconds u should see water like formations...
Also, check ur water level and make sure its normal.
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by olaolayinkuz(f): 3:23pm On Jul 09, 2016
olaolayinkuz:

Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by olaolayinkuz(f): 3:27pm On Jul 09, 2016
All the places I put my hand in the pictures above are kind of wet ( though not oil but something black) what do u guys suggest I do
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 09, 2016
OP, from what I can see and infer from your posts on this thread, I don't think your car's engine issues are that bad...yet. That engine is over 15 years old (assuming it is the factory fitted engine), considerable wear and tear must have occurred.

You initially said your exhaust colour was clear thereby misleading me grin , then later said it is blueish. Blue smoke is indicative of oil entering the combustion chamber due to mechanical wear in your engine or overfilled engine oil.

Check and ensue your oil level does not exceed the top mark on the dipstick.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your oil is not overfilled, the wear can't be critical enough to warrant an engine change yet. You can try higher viscosity engine oil. Some people have gotten good results from good oil treatment too. Since your engine is already 'going', you can risk it. Just one can of oil treatment to your engine oil is okay.

I suspect that the oil and black dirt around your engine is not a cause for concern. The oil is most likely from oil spill while servicing the engine. You have a relatively clean engine. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by lawsta(m): 8:50am On Jul 10, 2016
(1)first picture is PCV - positive crankcase ventilation. it helps the engine to breath. crankcase is deep down in d engine. hot air mixed with oil vapor comes up from crankcase and is sieved by pcv then goes into intake manifold. intake manifold is the round aluminum where the short hose on the pcv goes. exhaust manifold is the four steel hoses that connects silencer to engine.
(2)if pcv is blocked due to oil sediments, or the hoses in first and second picture is cracked/not properly fixed, or the cylinder cover has too much oil sediments- the rectangular cover on which u have the four plug wires and oil cover, then engine won't work optimally. some carbon/sludge may formed around. they should be removed for cleaning.
(3)blue smoke that appear only when engine has rested for some time and later disappear may be due to gap in valves. fixing may take about 10k
(4) blue smoke only when engine is under load- climbing, start moving, carry very heavy things may be caused by gap in piston and ring. ringing takes higher cost
(5) in ur case it may be both and generally naija mecos preferred to do engine overhaul cos it is not easy to distinguish between d two causes.
(6) if the smoke is still bearable by u, continue using but keep an eye on oil level and top up regularly especially after heavy use. only top up when engine is cool e.g morning. with about half liter or a litre depending on guage stick indication.
(7)if u want to overhaul, be sure of competent and honest meco that gives at least three months guarantee. cos most will buy substandard parts but promise heaven and earth. or do it just anyhow to beat time.
(coolbest bet (cost and effectiveness) is to replace with grade A toks engine (a borale, no accessories- with no alternator, kick starter, injector, ac, power steering, intake and exhaust manifold, all this are intact in ur car. cost will reduced drastically so no need buying them with the engine unless u want them to be a bonus to ur meco cos they will never pay u for them. best thing if the engine is detached from the gear in ur presence when u want to buy so u do be sure there is no tampering before. cos many engine called toks are just weak but rebuild.

3 Likes

Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by olaolayinkuz(f): 1:39pm On Jul 10, 2016
0rex:
OP, from what I can see and infer from your posts on this thread, I don't think your car's engine issues are that bad...yet. That engine is over 15 years old (assuming it is the factory fitted engine), considerable wear and tear must have occurred.
You initially said your exhaust colour was clear thereby misleading me grin , then later said it is blueish. Blue smoke is indicative of oil entering the combustion chamber due to mechanical wear in your engine or overfilled engine oil.
Check and ensue your oil level does not exceed the top mark on the dipstick.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your oil is not overfilled, the wear can't be critical enough to warrant an engine change yet. You can try higher viscosity engine oil. Some people have gotten good results from good oil treatment too. Since your engine is already 'going', you can risk it. Just one can of oil treatment to your engine oil is okay.
I suspect that the oil and black dirt around your engine is not a cause for concern. The oil is most likely from oil spill while servicing the engine. You have a relatively clean engine. cheesy
thank u so much orex and thanks for ur patience,
I don't mean to mislead u at all, I started the thread immediately when I noticed the unusual smoke n I couldn't place the color until when lawsta analysed the smoke, that was when I could say the smoke was bluish. Thanks so much once again
Re: MY RAV 4 Smokes When I Starts It In The Morning by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jul 10, 2016
olaolayinkuz:
thank u so much orex and thanks for ur patience,
I don't mean to mislead u at all, I started the thread immediately when I noticed the unusual smoke n I couldn't place the color until when lawsta analysed the smoke, that was when I could say the smoke was bluish. Thanks so much once again
You are welcome.

(1) (Reply)

2009 Lexus ES 350 Or 2009 Camry XLE V6? / Best Spare Part Market In Lagos / What Is The Ugliest Car You've Ever Seen?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.