Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

Is A Master's Degree Worthwhile? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is A Master's Degree Worthwhile? (552 Views)

When Is The Right Time To Do Your Master's Degree? / UNILORIN Student Who Won A Master's Scholarship Abroad (Photos) / Ufot Ekong Receives His Master Degree In Electrical & Electronic Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A Master's Degree Worthwhile? by ThaThinka: 10:18pm On Jul 06, 2016
Hello, everyone. I was just wondering if anyone here can answer the above question for me in my own case. This question was posted in another form about a month ago, but I didn't get feedback. I hope I get at least one useful one this time.

I'd like a knowledgeable person to advise whether it is advisable, or worth the money, for someone without corporate job experience to go for a master's degree. Please consider this is someone in his early 30s and with a business-related first degree. For now, I pay my bills doing personal stuff and I'm currently researching ways to make sizeable, steady income on my own. My interest in a master's degree right now is partly because I have enough time to work for one. But is that enough reason to go for such a degree considering the resources one would need to put in? Please advise.
Re: Is A Master's Degree Worthwhile? by Loski26(m): 6:54am On Jul 07, 2016
ThaThinka:
Hello, everyone. I was just wondering if anyone here can answer the above question for me in my own case. This question was posted in another form about a month ago, but I didn't get feedback. I hope I get at least one useful one this time.

I'd like a knowledgeable person to advise whether it is advisable, or worth the money, for someone without corporate job experience to go for a master's degree. Please consider this is someone in his early 30s and with a business-related first degree. For now, I pay my bills doing personal stuff and I'm currently researching ways to make sizeable, steady income on my own. My interest in a master's degree right now is partly because I have enough time to work for one. But is that enough reason to go for such a degree considering the resources one would need to put in? Please advise.
You necessarily do not need a Corporate experience before you can go for your Masters.

The major question is WHY DO YOU WANT TO GO FOR MASTERS?

To boost your CV and up your chances of clinching an offer letter? Or you aim to dabble into academics/lecturing?

Your response will determine my advice.
Re: Is A Master's Degree Worthwhile? by ThaThinka: 8:01am On Jul 07, 2016
Loski26:

You necessarily do not need a Corporate experience before you can go for your Masters.

The major question is WHY DO YOU WANT TO GO FOR MASTERS?

To boost your CV and up your chances of clinching an offer letter? Or you aim to dabble into academics/lecturing?

Your response will determine my advice.

Thank you, Loski26, for taking some time to reply. To be honest with you, I am not entirely certain about the relevance of such a degree. I'm mainly considering it because I still have the time to do one now. As I stated in the original post, I'm now more interested in finding something I can do myself without having to search for job again after fruitless search these years. My only concern now is just that there might be a lucrative opportunity in the future that will require one, although my lack of corporate job experience is a source of concern for me. I am just not sure a business-related Master's degree will be worthwhile for someone in my age range without corporate work experience. Or what do you think, sir?
Re: Is A Master's Degree Worthwhile? by Loski26(m): 8:10am On Jul 07, 2016
ThaThinka:

Thank you, Loski26, for taking some time to reply. To be honest with you, I am not entirely certain about the relevance of such a degree. I'm mainly considering it because I still have the time to do one now. As I stated in the original post, I'm now more interested in finding something I can do myself without having to search for job again after fruitless search these years. My only concern now is just that there might be a lucrative opportunity in the future that will require one, although my lack of corporate job experience is a source of concern for me. I am just not sure a business-related Master's degree will be worthwhile for someone in my age range without corporate work experience. Or what do you think, sir?
You have the time, if the means is available, get the Masters. Like you said, it could come in handy tomorrow. Nigeria is still a "certificate country".

I like that you're looking at self-employment. Way to go. People in the corporate world with discerning minds are already working towards that.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Is A Master's Degree Worthwhile? by ThaThinka: 8:21am On Jul 07, 2016
Loski26:

You have the time, if the means is available, get the Masters. Like you said, it could come in handy tomorrow. Nigeria is still a "certificate country".

I like that you're looking at self-employment. Way to go. People in the corporate world with discerning minds are already working towards that.

Cheers!

Thank you, sire!

(1) (Reply)

China's 'good Will Hunting?' Migrant Worker Solves Complex Math Problem / Scrapping Of CBT By FG Is A Right Move In A Right Direction / Update On Building Collapse In Federal Polytechnic Oko

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.