Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

What Or Who Is God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Or Who Is God? (540 Views)

Who Is God? / Nigerians, What Is God Doing About Our Current Problems / There Is God And He Answers Prayer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Or Who Is God? by Nobody: 7:34am On Jul 07, 2016
Hey guys...been doing some deep thinking and as usual, my human mind has conjured a lot of thoughts.
Is God really what he says he is? All powerful? All seeing?
Following the Bible in its chronological order, it is pretty easy to see that the old testament was writing before the new testament. A simple read through will show how God was close to the earth...manifesting in various forms and all. Striking down when necessary. And we also see a withdrawal as the story progresses. At a point, he only communicates with designated prophets (or so they claim). The new testament has only one recorded manifestation of God (the baptism of Jesus...I think). And after Jesus, nothing more. Till now, all we have is just claims from so-called men of God.

My questions are these...
1. How are we sure that God is not just an elaborate prank by some ancient alien civilization? (If we can acknowledge God we must not rule out aliens!!). Or even a bunch of early men that jist wanted to goof around.
2. Why do we believe everything in the Bible? If they were inspired by God, he would obviously not ask that horrible things be written about him.
3. Doesn't God kinda come across as a bit needy? And whiny? Always complaining about the Israelites not worshipping him and all?
4. Can't we call the variations btw the old testament God and the one widely worshipped now change? I believe it is change and if it is, why do we always say he can't change? (He's all powerful isn't he)
5. Can one really be all powerful and have feelings at the same time? Cos as we know, feelings breed bias and bias limits power and misuse of it.

Answers and explanations will be greatly appreciated..

1 Like

Re: What Or Who Is God? by Tellemall: 8:03am On Jul 07, 2016
1. If you feel God is a prank, then you might as well be a prank. If you feel aliens have toyed with your life so deeply, without showing themselves after all this while, where is the evidence of alien contact? How is it that you have freewill? Shouldn't your aliens have toyed a lot more with you?

2. Name the horrible things written about him, like where he drinks the blood of infants and sends thunderbolts scatter whole continents.

3. Where did the complaints you see come from? If you had a pet that you potty trained and yet it keeps sh.itting about, I'm sure you'd follow it about with a pooper scooper to show your dedication to it. You mistake grief with complaints.

4. Nothing changed. You did not get a whole new God, as is to be expected with what you call change, all you got was a new aspect.

5. Why haven't you asked God this one yourself? He's given you the way to get to him, through Jesus, so why do you stand afar, like a lost cause, instead of getting close?

2 Likes

Re: What Or Who Is God? by foolinlove(f): 9:09am On Jul 07, 2016
Good read about this topic is:

Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder.

He explores many of the ideas you are grappling with now. The idea of God has been long debated in western philosophy, and there are many good texts on the subject.

No one has the answers. But they all have ideas.

The good thing about ideas is that they change and evolve. So your understanding of God can change and evolve too.
Re: What Or Who Is God? by Nobody: 9:50am On Jul 07, 2016
Tellemall:
1. If you feel God is a prank, then you might as well be a prank. If you feel aliens have toyed with your life so deeply, without showing themselves after all this while, where is the evidence of alien contact? How is it that you have freewill? Shouldn't your aliens have toyed a lot more with you?

there is no real evidence of God contact either..just mere conjecture and claims by believers. if you doubt aliens because you haven't seen any, I wonder how you can believe in a being you haven't seen. except you want to tell me you have seen God. you probably would have been a believer in the flying spaghetti monster or the great panku if you were born in another time.

2. Name the horrible things written about him, like where he drinks the blood of infants and sends thunderbolts scatter whole continents.

you didn't read that part well. I asked why we should believe what is written in the Bible. 2 Tim 3.16 says that all scripture is inspired by God. if I were to write a book about myself, I wouldnt exactly paint myself to be a bad person even if I were.

3. Where did the complaints you see come from? If you had a pet that you potty trained and yet it keeps sh.itting about, I'm sure you'd follow it about with a pooper scooper to show your dedication to it. You mistake grief with complaints.

Grief for only a particular people? The Assyrians were people too...the Egyptians and the philistines also. But all we see is him striking them down. There is no record of him trying to draw them closer to himself. Only the Israelites every bloody times. Abi didn't he create them too? Or were they created to die?

4. Nothing changed. You did not get a whole new God, as is to be expected with what you call change, all you got was a new aspect.

If your dad used to smack you around every other week and one day he stops, wouldn't you call that change? I know I would.

5. Why haven't you asked God this one yourself? He's given you the way to get to him, through Jesus, so why do you stand afar, like a lost cause, instead of getting close?

This just brings us back to the root problem. You're asking me to believe in something so that I can get close enough to ask that something why i should believe in it. Kolewerk.

1 Like

Re: What Or Who Is God? by Tellemall: 6:28pm On Jul 07, 2016
LostCause:

there is no real evidence of God contact either..just mere conjecture and claims by believers. if you doubt aliens because you haven't seen any, I wonder how you can believe in a being you haven't seen. except you want to tell me you have seen God. you probably would have been a believer in the flying spaghetti monster or the great panku if you were born in another time.

you didn't read that part well. I asked why we should believe what is written in the Bible. 2 Tim 3.16 says that all scripture is inspired by God. if I were to write a book about myself, I wouldnt exactly paint myself to be a bad person even if I were.

Grief for only a particular people? The Assyrians were people too...the Egyptians and the philistines also. But all we see is him striking them down. There is no record of him trying to draw them closer to himself. Only the Israelites every bloody times. Abi didn't he create them too? Or were they created to die?

If your dad used to smack you around every other week and one day he stops, wouldn't you call that change? I know I would.

This just brings us back to the root problem. You're asking me to believe in something so that I can get close enough to ask that something why i should believe in it. Kolewerk.

Point is, if you believe aliens, who are physical beings, not spiritual entities, have something to do with your life on earth, by whatever physical means they take, and that is their spatial representation-the physical- why have you not seen evidence of these beings who shake the earth the give us earthquakes?

When you bring up an idea of physical beings such as aliens, expect me to question you along such lines. Don't assume me to think they are invisible. Unless you think aliens are, which they are not.

I've asked you for evidence in your no 2 and you're instead pointing out a Bible verse that speaks of inspiration.

I don't think you've got much of a point with your thoughts. You aren't even staying focused on what you're saying.

(1) (Reply)

Family Announces Burial Plans For Killed Kubwa Preacher / I Am A Sinner / A Must Read Book For Christians Who Really Love Christ(for CHRISTIANS ONLY).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.