Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,962 members, 7,810,665 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:59 PM

Gambia's President Yahya Jammeh Bans Child Marriage - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gambia's President Yahya Jammeh Bans Child Marriage (673 Views)

Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt / "Capture Yahya Jammeh Alive Or Dead": ECOWAS Issues Last Command / Photo Of Yahya Jammeh As A Young Soldier (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gambia's President Yahya Jammeh Bans Child Marriage by TANTUMERGO007(m): 12:30pm On Jul 08, 2016
Gambia's President Yahya Jammeh has told lawmakers to
introduce legislation to ban child marriage.
Mr Jammeh said anyone marrying a girl aged below 18 would be
jailed for up to 20 years.
Speaking at the Eid-ul-Fitr celebrations at the end of Ramadan, he
said parents and imams who perform the ceremonies would also
face prison.
Some 46% of girls in The Gambia get married before they are 18,
according to the UN children's agency.

www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-36746174?ocid=socialflow_facebook

Cc: lalasticlala mynd44
Re: Gambia's President Yahya Jammeh Bans Child Marriage by gists: 12:42pm On Jul 08, 2016
TANTUMERGO007:
Gambia's President Yahya Jammeh has told lawmakers to
introduce legislation to ban child marriage.
Mr Jammeh said anyone marrying a girl aged below 18 would be
jailed for up to 20 years.
Speaking at the Eid-ul-Fitr celebrations at the end of Ramadan, he
said parents and imams who perform the ceremonies would also
face prison.
Some 46% of girls in The Gambia get married before they are 18,
according to the UN children's agency.

www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-36746174?ocid=socialflow_facebook

Cc: lalasticlala mynd44

The Gambia president should thread carefully. While I understand and appreciate the need to stop child marriage, going to the extent of declaring a jail term of 20 years BEFORE the legislature even do their work is also not so good. He is threading close to dictatorship by unilaterally imposing a jail term while the topic has not been debated by the country's legislature.

Oh BTW. This is not a tantalizing story for the islamophobs. Had it been the other way, they would have swamped on this thread like house flies feasting on faeces.
Re: Gambia's President Yahya Jammeh Bans Child Marriage by erusen: 12:44pm On Jul 08, 2016
gists:

The Gambia president should thread carefully. While I understand and appreciate the need to stop child marriage, going to the extent of declaring a jail term of 20 years BEFORE the legislature even do their work is also not so good. He is threading close to dictatorship by unilaterally imposing a jail term while the topic has not been debated by the country's legislature.

Oh BTW. This is not a tantalizing story for the islamophobs. Had it been the other way, they would have swamped on this thread like house flies feasting on faeces.
una nor get shame for 21st century una be still dey marry small children.
Re: Gambia's President Yahya Jammeh Bans Child Marriage by TANTUMERGO007(m): 1:07pm On Jul 08, 2016
lalasticlala mynd4
Re: Gambia's President Yahya Jammeh Bans Child Marriage by gists: 1:09pm On Jul 08, 2016
erusen:
una nor get shame for 21st century una be still dey marry small children.
What is this one talking about? Did you ask Americans if they get shame for still allowing 12yr old girls to be married off in 2016?
[size=15pt]Child marriage chart reveals girls can wed at 12 in some parts of the US - as lawmakers battle to raise age to 16[/size]
Wednesday 9 March 2016

Lawmakers in America are battling to overturn some of the country's most archaic laws, which stipulate that children as young as 12 can be married.
In the state of Virginia, it is officially still legal for girls as young as 12 or 13 to be brought to a courthouse with evidence of a pregnancy and wed, a practice that has come under increased scrutiny thanks to the Virginia Senator Jill Vogel R-Fauquier.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/child-marriage-chart-reveals-girls-can-still-get-married-at-12-in-some-parts-of-the-us-as-lawmakers-a6921246.html

Re: Gambia's President Yahya Jammeh Bans Child Marriage by Likei(m): 1:19pm On Jul 08, 2016
make una forward this thread to buhari and elrufai.
Re: Gambia's President Yahya Jammeh Bans Child Marriage by TANTUMERGO007(m): 1:23pm On Jul 08, 2016
gists:

What is this one talking about? Did you ask Americans if they get shame for still allowing 12yr old girls to be married off in 2016?
i smell lai muhammed on this comment
Re: Gambia's President Yahya Jammeh Bans Child Marriage by gists: 1:33pm On Jul 08, 2016
TANTUMERGO007:

i smell lai muhammed on this comment
You trusted your bbc source (UK), you didn't say anything about Lai when you opened the thread.
I posted another reliable/trusted UK source. Now you can smell Lai.
Would you rather have me post a link from ipob..br?
grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Gambia's President Yahya Jammeh Bans Child Marriage by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 08, 2016
gists:

I think the Gambian President was simply trying to put forward the expected result should one continue marring off kids, not necessarily saying this is the exact punishment. Mind you am thinking, because its unwise of him to enforce such.

Mine is why where these infants being married off in the first place? Someone will come and talk about rubbish culture, where as kids are being exploited and we still wonder why the world is thus unruly. Angry people everywhere that's why

(1) (Reply)

Police Officers In Scotland & Canada Can Now Wear Hijabs / Trump Will Win And He Is More Popular Than Obama In 2008, AI System Finds / From An Out Going President Who Wants Progress For His Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.