Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,131 members, 7,811,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:07 AM

Here You Go, It's Not Any Demon Pressing You, It's Called Sleep Paralysis. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Here You Go, It's Not Any Demon Pressing You, It's Called Sleep Paralysis. (1121 Views)

Nursing Student Of Madonna University Dies In Her Sleep (Photos) / Sleep Paralysis: A Clear Case Of Demonic Visitation ? / Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here You Go, It's Not Any Demon Pressing You, It's Called Sleep Paralysis. by afuye(m): 6:29am On Jul 10, 2016
Imagine, if you will, this scenario.

It is the middle of the night, and you are sleeping. All of a sudden, you awaken, however you can not move. Your eyelids will not open, and you cannot move your limbs. You can not even move your fingers and toes.

Breathing is challenging. If feels like there is something sitting on your chest and you are specific there is a being sitting on you and making you feel this method. This scary lasts for minutes, but it appears like hours. It's scary.

This might appear like a scene from a horror book, but it is actually a real-life problem for a lot of people. That is right. Tonight, there will be individuals who awaken to the previous situation. They will have no idea exactly what is going on, and they will not be able to move.

It is time to read more about this phenomenon.

These symptoms stem from an odd sleep phenomenon called sleep paralysis. While numerous social and psychological aspects can influence the occurrence of sleep paralysis, a 2011 paper integrated 35 researches with more than 36,000 individuals complete. The authors found that 7.6% of the general population experiences sleep paralysis, increasing to 28.3% in high-risk groups, like students who have an interrupted sleep pattern. And in individuals with mental illness, like anxiety and depression, 31.9% experienced these episodes.

Daniel Denis, a PhD candidate in cognitive neuroscience and scientist at the Sleep Paralysis Job, discusses the whole scenario perfectly:.

" When you're experiencing sleep paralysis, you become mindful. The idea is that your mind wakes up but your body doesn't."

But, if the brain is awake, why cannot the body move?

Everything relates to the three or 4 stages of non-REM (rapid-eye-movement sleep) sleep and one specific REM state. It is possible to dream in all phases of sleep, however the dreams experienced in Rapid Eye Movement sleep appear to be more vivid and real.

The brain is very active during Rapid Eye Movement, and individuals end up being paralyzed during REM. Although researchers are unsure of the reason, lots of believe it is so the body does not act out the dream. This is called Rapid Eye Movement atonia.

Many people who awaken suddenly can move quickly. Nevertheless, those who can not move after waking experience sleep paralysis. It is REM atonia continuing after waking. Most of the time, this experience lasts a few seconds to a minute (it certainly feels a lot longer). Nevertheless, in rare cases, some people need 10 to 15 minutes to regain movement.

Many individuals feel a presence when they are in the clutches of sleep paralysis. Researchers are not sure what causes this, but they do have some concepts. One is that the figure is the mind's attempt to produce the movement it cannot really do. Essentially, the brain is saying, "I can't move your arms, however here is a nice hallucination of your arms moving.".

Another guess is that amygdala is to blame. The amygdala, the part of the brain accountable for fear, becomes overactive and Denis discusses the outcome:.

" You get up with your amygdala yelling, 'There's a danger! So your brain needs to invent something to repair the paradox of the amygdala being active for no factor."

The amygdala does remain active during sleep, but sleep paralysis sends it into overdrive. This makes good sense due to the fact that the whole circumstance sounds scary.

Various Kinds of Sleep Paralysis.

According to an extensive research study carried out in 1999, there are 3 types of hallucinations that can occur during sleep paralysis: "incubus", "intruder", and "unusual bodily experiences".

Incubus.

Individuals feel extreme pressure on their chests and they feel they can not breath. However, this is just a mental video game. It seems like they can't breath since they are afraid. Likewise, the body is still in REM breathing mode which is extremely shallow. It would seem strange to anybody.

Intruder.

People who experience the intruder experience the sensation of an existence, fear, and visual and auditory hallucinations. The authors describe it as a "hypervigilant state of the midbrain," which can make individuals extremely knowledgeable about even the smallest stimuli and "prejudiced toward hints for risk or risk." That's why a small sound can seem horrifying to someone experiencing sleep paralysis. (Business Insider).

Unusual bodily experiences

These individuals feel they are having an out-of-body experience. They feel like they are levitating or flying around the space. This type of sleep paralysis is so different because different areas of the brain are active at the time the person awoke.

Avoidance.

Prevention is difficult with sleep paralysis. That is since it can be hereditary and since it is linked to the entire bunch of other sleeping and health concerns. However, there are some things an individual can do to assist with the issue.

No Back Sleeping.

Researchers have actually found that sleeping on the side can lower the risk of sleep paralysis. Some sufferers even wear special clothing so that it is uneasy for the body to roll naturally onto the back during sleep.

Focus.

If a person does get up and find they can not move, they have to focus on moving a digit. Aim to move a finger or a toe and concentrate on that. As soon as a muscle moves, the paralysis is broken.

Exactly what are your experiences with sleep paralysis?

http://www.deprogramyourself.org/2016/05/have-you-ever-woken-up-in-middle-of.html?m=1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Re: Here You Go, It's Not Any Demon Pressing You, It's Called Sleep Paralysis. by Trendy247: 6:34am On Jul 10, 2016
I agree with you, but African witches have since hijacked the process.

3 Likes

Re: Here You Go, It's Not Any Demon Pressing You, It's Called Sleep Paralysis. by afuye(m): 6:38am On Jul 10, 2016
Every problem here has been colonised by this African mentality that it is the work of witches and wizard. I believe the line of thoughts expressed are quite logical.
Trendy247:
I agree with you, but African witches have since hijacked the stuff
Re: Here You Go, It's Not Any Demon Pressing You, It's Called Sleep Paralysis. by Nobody: 6:41am On Jul 10, 2016
I used to have this a lot. I really thought it was the devil. *covers face*
Re: Here You Go, It's Not Any Demon Pressing You, It's Called Sleep Paralysis. by Nobody: 7:07am On Jul 10, 2016
I used to have this too , it's always scary for me thought it was spiritual
Re: Here You Go, It's Not Any Demon Pressing You, It's Called Sleep Paralysis. by VictorRomanov: 7:09am On Jul 10, 2016
Girlwithwings:
I used to have this a lot. I really thought it was the devil. *covers face*

U re not alone and its not just an African thing. The pictures above show that even Europeans used to feel same way.

But its good to get enlightened.

However they should research on the causes on scratch marks on the body during sleep, especially in areas were u re sure ur hand can't reach when u re sleeping.
Re: Here You Go, It's Not Any Demon Pressing You, It's Called Sleep Paralysis. by afuye(m): 7:15am On Jul 10, 2016
It is awesome we are unlearning our old beliefs and learning new ones. But do you know that at the mention of "Jesus" this incubus leaves you?
VictorRomanov:

U re not alone and its not just an African thing. The pictures above show that even Europeans used to feel same way.

However they should research on the causes on scratch marks on the body during sleep, especially in areas were u re sure ur hand can't reach when u re sleeping.
Re: Here You Go, It's Not Any Demon Pressing You, It's Called Sleep Paralysis. by 49cents(m): 7:31am On Jul 10, 2016
Used to experience this until I found out the issue: Sleeping without pillow!!!

Once I stopped not sleeping without pillows am fine; when I don't and I wake up with the sleep paralysis I don't panic again, cos I know what's going on already

1 Like

Re: Here You Go, It's Not Any Demon Pressing You, It's Called Sleep Paralysis. by Yuneehk(f): 7:40am On Jul 10, 2016
afuye:
It is awesome we are unlearning our old beliefs and learning new ones. But do you know that at the mention of "Jesus" this incubus leaves you?
I'm telling you! Once I mention Jesus, it leaves so you can't really blame people like me for believing it's the work of witches
VictorRomanov:

@ bolded, my mum would say "owu Amusu kara gi" meaning witches gave you the mark grin . No one truly knows how they're gotten so yea research should be done. You can help with it cheesy
Re: Here You Go, It's Not Any Demon Pressing You, It's Called Sleep Paralysis. by afuye(m): 7:43am On Jul 10, 2016
Exactly

lalasticlala, Mynd44 this could be happening to you, this tread has the drugs.

Yuneehk:

I'm telling you! Once I mention Jesus, it leaves so you can't really blame people like me for believing it's the work of witches

@ bolded, my mum would say "owu Amusu kara gi" meaning witches gave you the mark grin . No one truly knows how they're gotten so yea research should be done. You can help with it cheesy
Re: Here You Go, It's Not Any Demon Pressing You, It's Called Sleep Paralysis. by afuye(m): 7:44am On Jul 10, 2016
Re: Here You Go, It's Not Any Demon Pressing You, It's Called Sleep Paralysis. by felixomor: 9:18am On Jul 10, 2016
Even your article still "guessed" the possible cause in trying to explain the reason behind it.

What does that tell you?
Even the writer is not yet sure of the full stuff he is explaining.
Dont be too quick also, to draw ur conclusions.
Lest you make yourself also look "gullible" to anything called "scientific".
Re: Here You Go, It's Not Any Demon Pressing You, It's Called Sleep Paralysis. by VictorRomanov: 4:36pm On Jul 10, 2016
afuye:

From the research above when u re able to say a word it means the sleep paralysis has ended. So yes mentioning Jesus seems to make the incubus leave you, but that's because u re now able to mention Jesus cos the sleep paralysis is over.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Vegan Strongman Eats ONE Meal A Day / New Arrival:aspire BREEZE STARTER Kit,vaporesso Revenger Starter Kit,smok T-PRIV / Request For Financial Support For Dialysis And Kidney Transplant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.