Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,227 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language (4460 Views)

Complete Primary And Secondary Website Needed / ICT Training Manual For Primary School And Secondary Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jul 12, 2016
talk2hb1:
lipsrsealed
You need to be flogged too for that - i dey vex gan o
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by talk2hb1(m): 9:46pm On Jul 12, 2016
dhtml18:

You need to be flogged too for that - i dey vex gan o
Waiting Me DO now, just wondering say them this boys no get work so tey dem dey compare language.
Abeg make them tell me which one sweet pass between COKE & Fanta?
I dey go owanbe for Saturday, I needed tech review on which is sweeter between coke and fant.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jul 12, 2016
Oh i see, it is okay - i thought you have joined gang with those boys.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jul 12, 2016
truthsayer007:
The problem with PHP is its bad reputation, which will hurt your career in next 5 to 6 years if you keep writing it, your career is at stake.
PHP 7 will be meaningless
Because companies are now moving from MySql to NoSql Database, and moving from Crud to Event driven web apps and by the time they put adverts for job opportunities, you will not see PHP amongst the list of Stack.
Facebook now uses HHVM which is a runtime for their own language called Hack . So they don't rely on PHP that much.
So its either we all start learning new set of languages or start planning to become carpenters and bricklayers in next few years. Lobatan !

The problem with Nigerians is y'all like criticism and do not even know the border criticism and reality. You would vilify any and everything without a (valid) reason. Just have a look at the reasons the OP gave.. Like for real ? Y'all like to think like "you are thinking rationally"

I come across questions like "IS PHP DEAD", "When would PHP die", "is PHP relevant" e.t.c (and shit) on a regular basis on Quora - if you follow 'webdevelopment' or 'PHP' on the site.

Funny enough you don't know HHVM runs PHP code. Hack is simply "strict" PHP --all that don't matter again with PHP7. You should see etsy's or badoo's engineerring blog and checkout stuffs on PHP and HHVM

Another thing is benchmarks have shown that HHVM's is only "slighlty" than php7. NEXT!!!

You can write event-driven web-apps with PHP, you haven't seen Ratchet PHP.. Hell, how would have ?

losprince:
My bragging right is php7
truthsayer007:

Sorry sir, PHP 7 is of no use.

Please with real arguments... y'all say something is of no use because a geek somewhere from the US says he hates it.. Speak now or remain silent forever. angry

FrankLampard:
Let me spread mat and watch how this argument will unfold.
But PHP 7 has addressed all this issue. PHP 7 is even more faster than Python 3
Let's not talk about. HHVM
With a good PHP framework self your argument is pointless.
I know so many C# programmers, all they do is complain of bugs, but PHP programmers program on the fly.
But PHP 7 has addressed all this issue. PHP 7 is even more faster than Python 3

Let's not talk about. HHVM

With a good PHP framework self your argument is pointless.

I know so many C# programmers, all they do is complain of bugs, but PHP programmers program on the fly.[/quote]

And Ruby

seunoni34:

But Facebook & wordpress still run on php. How they manage to scale their apps despite the limitations?
Those the op listed are not limitations in the real sense with the exception of speed - which has been fixed in PHP7. Even in 5.x versions, you could fire up nginx/php-fpm and zend-opcache.

After all is aid and done, use the best tool for the job. That said, i am not a fanboy (of PHP) but i do hate topics like this.
It is funny folks do not know how the language has developed, there is ths thread on reddit that talks about "PHP Sucks" and someone went like he saw a recruiter who said he didn't know PHP is an OO language ( Link Here

Anybody who comes to you and says he has a perfect language is either naïve or a salesman. -- Bjarne Stroustrup
There are only two kinds of languages: the ones people complain about and the ones nobody uses -- Bjarne Stroustrup

3 Likes

Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Nobody: 12:31am On Jul 13, 2016
If your PHP is on ganja and steroids and you're having issues then you've got the right to complain, else stay mute! or everything you say would be used against you in the field of production.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by sleepingdemon: 12:57am On Jul 13, 2016
danidee10:
Most of those benchmarks are bias....if you throw in some numpy or cython and 'cheat' grin. Python will smoke php in speed

Not hating on php though....but as a language python has a wider domain.

Php machine learning.....Nope smiley
haba, that one is cheat with seriodz now, for ordinary webapp youre using cython to convert to c, even facebook with thier hack stopped at c++, are you building the worlds webapp that youve decided to carry cython + numpy for webapp

2 Likes

Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Nobody: 1:22am On Jul 13, 2016
sleepingdemon:

haba, that one is cheat with seriodz now, for ordinary webapp youre using cython to convert to c, even facebook with thier hack stopped at c++, are you building the worlds webapp that youve decided to carry cython + numpy for webapp

lol
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Nobody: 2:00am On Jul 13, 2016
sleepingdemon & DanielTheGeek have been able to express my concerns very well. You guys need to get your hands doing on something CREATIVE rather than trying to DESTROY a language.
I saw a Nairalander posted something on Facebook awhile back that if you are still using PHP and not NODE.JS - you are a f00l. I refused to comment because Facebook is a more serious business.

2 Likes

Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by ibnusaadan03(m): 6:28am On Jul 13, 2016
To me, whether php,python,java or whatever, all you need is creativity as many have said. Facebook and many other successful web apps were developed using the language in subject. Even Nairaland I'm sure. Just be an expert, u will enjoy more.... Anyway, php all the way, though I still use ASP.NET Framework C# and VB.NET, but PHP is my number 1 language.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by larisoft: 2:45pm On Jul 13, 2016
Lol! Who said PHP is useless? Php is good for where it is good. But it is evil when used for certain things. Go and ask Jeff Atwood, anytime you have to start patching things up with using that framework and that library...things are going south because trust me, those frameworks come with their own baggage.

For a small forumn? Hell Yeah! For another gmail or google drive? Hell No!

Ask that guy that used PHP to write Nigeria's search engine how thats working out for him.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jul 13, 2016
I hereby withdraw my earlier statement, the OP is right to express his opinions - but it seems a bit harsh sha.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by ukorsimplicity(m): 3:55pm On Jul 13, 2016
NigAmbassador:
Php is best used for little projects but when it comes to enterprise development, its dead meat. I am a C# coder....that's my bragging right

You are joking about " PHP is best used for little project"

PHP powers WordPress, Facebook and expression engine : hope you know this.

Have you seen what php 7 can do? Php7 addresses all this issued talk about here.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 13, 2016
^^^the OP does not really understand what PHP is about. All his points are pretty lame.
Wordpress must be a pretty small forum - in the words of the OP - to be done by PHP.
And PHP (including 7 since the OP was not specific) is slow - because it is an interpreted language according to the OP.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by sleepingdemon: 6:01pm On Jul 13, 2016
intrestingly, im one of those ppl who ditched c# and vb.net to follow the unix like languages like php, python, node.js
microsoft languages at the end of the day are a fatal bunch of lies that these people make u believe are actually better, but alas, its worse.
ask all these .net developers, they know it, but wont concur

1 Like

Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by onedayatime(m): 9:41pm On Jul 13, 2016
ukorsimplicity:

Have you seen what php 7 can do? Php7 addresses all this issued talk about here.
do you have any good books on PHP7?
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Booyakasha(f): 10:27pm On Jul 13, 2016
dhtml18:
I have been trying to hold my peace, but the truth is that I feel like flogging many people on this thread - and I shall if seun gives me an e-cane.

For what now??

Are you guys are that youtube is one of the successful websites built by PHP

You guys should look at this link - https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-top-10-websites-built-with-PHP

Now, the question I will ask you dudes including the OP. Have you built something as awesome as the above with PHP? In short, have you used to PHP to the limits before you start criticizing it?

I am not here to criticize PHP, I am just saying that Nigerian developers are usually lazy, with zero startups or even works to show for their skills.
Instead of spending time criticizing PHP, .NET, Python and the others. You guys should spend your time creating awesome stuffs for us to review.

PHP is not my primary language anymore, that will be JAVA. But again, you will see people shouting that JAVA will die and all that. I have an app in playstore at the moment built with android/JAVA and it is being used worldwide with almost 100,000 users at the moment.
And you know what, the backend of the app is built with PHP/MySQL - yes, i said it. And it has not died till now. And it serves concurrent users without any hassles. And no, it is for a client, and i am under NDA agreement, so i am not going to disclose it - although some nairalanders close to me already know the APP i am talking about.

Yeah, I know that I am very likely to migrate everything to a NODE cloud very soon. But wait, before you start criticizing PHP, how many of you guys have actually created a PHP APP/API serving like a 100,000 concurrent customers?

To do that, you will have to go beyond your conventional PHP programming, and learn so many gaddamn techniques that your code will no longer even look like PHP again.

I am not trying to make anyone feel bad, but you guys should get to work!!!!!!!
Boom!!!
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by NigAmbassador: 10:44pm On Jul 13, 2016
ukorsimplicity:

fellow coders, I am not in any way under-estimating the Php language. I code in both Php and C#. All I want to re-echo is that Nigerian programmers should up their coding skills and creativity, in order to meet the growing demand and competition in the IT world.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by ukorsimplicity(m): 12:23am On Jul 14, 2016
onedayatime:

do you have any good books on PHP7?

Not yet...
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Nobody: 12:18am On Jul 15, 2016
ukorsimplicity:

Don't mind him Jarey, he probably still uses arrays rather than literals...fu***ng procedural douche-bag.

1 Like

Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by DAvIt0(m): 7:53am On Jul 15, 2016
Booyakasha:

Boom!!!
You meant BAAAAM!!!!!!!!!!! Right?
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by romme2u: 1:53pm On Jul 15, 2016
this little discussion is interesting though with a lot of chest beating sad sad sad

it reminds us of dhtml18/donjayzi and seunthomas thread which saw asalimpo, guru01 and others flexing muscles.

Kudos to dhtml18 for dousing the tensions and acting as the referee.

Every programming language was developed to solve problems in a specific area of computing though most have been infused with excess baggage. it is not wise to compare general purpose programming language like python, ruby, java, c++ and C# to special purpose language like php, perl and shell.

i learnt that perl is the best in regular expression matching cause that is the area it was originally built for before DBI and other modules were added to give it a semblance of general purpose language.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by NigAmbassador: 3:06pm On Jul 15, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Don't mind him Jarey, he probably still uses arrays rather than literals...fu***ng procedural douche-bag.

And you that makes use of literals, have u solved any national or global challenge using whatever IT training you have?

Its a shame that you have to degenerate to a level of a being that only express his opinion by insults....

Who cares any ways, I don't. Because eggs don't roll with stones....

#Wolf
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jul 15, 2016
NigAmbassador:

And you that makes use of literals, have u solved any national or global challenge using whatever IT training you have?

Its a shame that you have to degenerate to a level of a being that only express his opinion by insults....

Who cares any ways, I don't. Because eggs don't roll with stones....

#Wolf

Well I can't start wasting resourceful saliva with you or flexing muscles, I got work to do...
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 15, 2016
romme2u:
this little discussion is interesting though with a lot of chest beating sad sad sad

it reminds us of dhtml18/donjayzi and seunthomas thread which saw asalimpo, guru01 and others flexing muscles.

Kudos to dhtml18 for dousing the tensions and acting as the referee.

Every programming language was developed to solve problems in a specific area of computing though most have been infused with excess baggage. it is not wise to compare general purpose programming language like python, ruby, java, c++ and C# to special purpose language like php, perl and shell.

i learnt that perl is the best in regular expression matching cause that is the area it was originally built for before DBI and other modules were added to give it a semblance of general purpose language.
I used perl a lot in the past. And right now, it is also an essential hacking tool, and i believe it is still regarded as one of the best languages for string manipulation and regular expression.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by FrankLampard: 11:27pm On Jul 16, 2016
IrokoTV uses PHP. yet they run a videos website larisoft.

1 Like

Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jul 16, 2016
FrankLampard:
Just hear that!

1 Like

Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by FrankLampard: 8:01am On Jul 17, 2016
dhtml18:

Just hear that!

Yes. I have my long time classmates who works there. He is one of their 12 developer.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by larisoft: 5:52pm On Jul 17, 2016
FrankLampard:

well...I don't know iroko TV that much, and don't know anyone personally who relies on their services. I could be wrong, but that tells me their client base is still very modest (< 1000 video plays a day). And am I the only one who finds their site painfully slow with so many texts badly colored (Can barely read the caption on their homepage)?

But if its not, I have merely listed the flaws I see in PhP, all of which even though could be worked around, make the language a bad choice for certain projects.

Languages have areas where they shine brightest. If a project's success is heavily dependent on concurrency, efficiency, and core OOP, using PhP is abusing PHP.

But if the project's success is dependent on speed of development, low budget, and ease of maintenance, PHP is the best option I know.

There are people who know better than me about these things on this forumn and my opinions are just what they are: opinions. I change them once I m provided with logical reasons.

My 4 blog posts have been on the front page of nl programming section for days now, and have elicited the reactions of heavy weights I respect so much. That makes me very happy and grateful indeed. I love everything about this industry and doing what I do is an honor.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by verticalict: 5:58pm On Jul 17, 2016
dhtml18:

The same thing that NODE.JS does for concurrency, sockets and all that - PHP can do it too.

I have a phpscript with just few lines of code - with only one single mysql connection - it can accept 1 million and more simulatenous connections and process every gaddamn thing as fast as the server can process.
And no, it does not require a dedicated server to run or even a VPS, it can run on any PHP server (but VPS and dedicated will make it run faster), and no it does not require websockets to work or any special PHP extension to work.
What happens if the script dies - a cron job can restart it
Does the script terminate - no it does not - it runs as a DAEMON (same way NODE.JS works)

This is just basic CLI programming in PHP - if you dont know how to do it, research, learn and develop - i did not get there in one day.

By the way, all the problems the OP encountered in PHP, I do not see them as a problem. That having been said - it is not every project that is best done with PHP.
There are some projects that if you wish to do it - the best language will be PYTHON. Some NODE.JS is best. Some JAVA, some .NET
Based on my experience, I can cite many instances where I have had to learn a particular language just because of a particular project.

All I am trying to say is that - there is no best language - I dont encourage anyone to base all their programming career on PHP.

For those talking about hackers - as a professional hacker, you need to master at least 5 strong programming languages - Being a JAVA expert alone is not sufficient.

Please, I want you to mentor me.. I'm a newbie, I need motivation please
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 17, 2016
verticalict:

Please, I want you to mentor me.. I'm a newbie, I need motivation please
Motivation right? no problem, send me a PM and i will see if i can help you.
Re: Why PHP Should Not Be Your Primary Language by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jul 17, 2016
larisoft:

well...I don't know iroko TV that much, and don't know anyone personally who relies on their services. I could be wrong, but that tells me their client base is still very modest (< 1000 video plays a day). And am I the only one who finds their site painfully slow with so many texts badly colored (Can barely read the caption on their homepage)?

But if its not, I have merely listed the flaws I see in PhP, all of which even though could be worked around, make the language a bad choice for certain projects.

Languages have areas where they shine brightest. If a project's success is heavily dependent on concurrency, efficiency, and core OOP, using PhP is abusing PHP.

But if the project's success is dependent on speed of development, low budget, and ease of maintenance, PHP is the best option I know.

There are people who know better than me about these things on this forumn and my opinions are just what they are: opinions. I change them once I m provided with logical reasons.

My 4 blog posts have been on the front page of nl programming section for days now, and have elicited the reactions of heavy weights I respect so much. That makes me very happy and grateful indeed. I love everything about this industry and doing what I do is an honor.

Dude, speed has to do with the technique of the programmer and the server resources.

For example, having a good cacheing system and knowing what to cache, when to cache etc

Which means that if you give a programmer like me a server that is say 2MB RAM, and a not-so-experienced programmer 10GB ram, it is still possible that I make my own application faster than that of the other programmer even if we use the same language.

You need to learn lots and lots of techniques to achieve this, so do not criticize the language because Iroko is not as fast as you want. That is not sufficient reasons. You might want to research on what gives a website speed - it will be a good research.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aptech ADSE Or Nigerian University Which Is Better? / C++ Vs Java (hilarious Gif) / I Need A Link To Download U.are.u Fingerprint Sdk/api

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.