Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,790 members, 7,820,770 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls (18105 Views)

What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft / Which Of The Punishment Did You Hate Back At School. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by highbeeola(m): 1:28pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:
My son(almost 4yrs) is in the reception class. He doesn't respond to teachings at school, doesn't talk or play. This is the exact opposite at home. Plays very well at home, sings and talks about all he's taught in the school. He responds very well to the teachings of his home teacher. His teacher in school is saying he will repeat class 'cos there is nothing to show he's learnt things. What do I do? Teachers, educators and Co, ur help is needed pls.
Try brainrx.com
I might be cognitive stuff
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by ademolathe(m): 1:28pm On Jul 12, 2016
Ask him gently if he is scared of something or someone,maybe there is a bully in his school. Another thing is maybe his teacher shouts at him, this might make him scared or lose self confidence.
You might also go to his school and tell him in the presence of his teacher that he has nothing to fear and that his teacher is his friend.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by DanielPop(m): 1:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
Check his relationship with the school teacher. The answer could lie there!
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by fanex: 1:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
your son is a naturally shy person.

your duty is to prop him up at home with a keen sense of responsibility and a great deal of encouragement. when he gets things right at home, praise him and try to connect what he did right to a similar situation in school. say to him you are

so you are king.
you are a leader.
buy in a video game and attach is performance to the his use of the video came.

change his school DO NOT LET HIM REPEAT IN THE SAME SCHOOL otherwise he might lose interest in education altogether.

he will eventually pickup with time but you can speed up the process
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by harrysjones(m): 1:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
sir please can u join and support my tea in mr nairaland contest#ADEWUMIOPEYEMI#
Zceesneh:
i believe in prayers buh not everything needs prayer, God is ur strength too
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by drnoel: 1:31pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:
My son(almost 4yrs) is in the reception class. He doesn't respond to teachings at school, doesn't talk or play. This is the exact opposite at home. Plays very well at home, sings and talks about all he's taught in the school. He responds very well to the teachings of his home teacher. His teacher in school is saying he will repeat class 'cos there is nothing to show he's learnt things. What do I do? Teachers, educators and Co, ur help is needed pls.

Look at the teacher well. I suspect it is her failings that is the cause. My kid had the same issue till we changed his school.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Omotakins(m): 1:33pm On Jul 12, 2016
Zoehill:
My brother, there is nothing wrong with your son. He is brilliant, my daughter of 2 plus is a smart happy girl when she started school but latter i realized that she wet her pants instead of calling her Áunty when she need to visit the toilet. There was a day i stayed back to take her to school only for her to decilined that she is not attending school that day, being a child i left her at home and visited the school myself only to see the Aunty bulling the small children under the disguise of being stressed. I have never seen where nursery/KG AUNTIES will be shouting at the top of their voices on little children. I changed her from the school that day and now she crave to leave home everyday for school.
Please find time to speak with your son and ask him if Aunty do beat or maltreat him, once he can talk. He will give you some clue.............not all females are mothers.
Thanks very much for this... I appreciate
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by HappinexEdixon(f): 1:34pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:
Pls change his school immdiately, there is something in that school that is making him uncomfortable. Also, he may be bullied without your knowledge. September is coming for a new academic session so is the best time to change his school.When searching for a new school, go for a private school with few pupils in class like 10 to 12 pupil, with that few number the teacher can communicate and monitor each child's performances. It was what we did for my son and it worked.

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by 2pens: 1:34pm On Jul 12, 2016
Ijesha78:
Please go and read about "Selective Mutism". Sounds like you may need to take your son for an assessment. A little girl in my family was like that. We had to engage the services of a speech pathologist. Selective mutism is due to social anxiety but can be reversed.
Does the girl now communicate well amidst of strangers
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by musicwriter(m): 1:38pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:

The so called educationists don't understand what's going on in your child's mind, cause if they knew education would be overhauled for good. I can explain to you, if you give me answer to below question.

Does your child speak English at home or our native language? Answer to this question is very important.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by back2dmatter: 1:39pm On Jul 12, 2016
Its simple.

Enroll him into another school
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jul 12, 2016
asatemple:
The teacher is the problem, a good teacher is supposed to have a good knowledge of the learner, traits and weaknesses. Bring him to my school (blossoms int'l school, ph) and give him one term
blossoms in rumuokwurusi?
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Omotakins(m): 1:44pm On Jul 12, 2016
asala1:

A 4 years old kid repeating class? A 4 years old kid has a home teacher? Whaat? Why are you abusing your kid?
I'm not abusing him, pls. The idea of having a home teacher was tinkered with due to reports I got. I wanted him to catch up.

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by delishpot: 1:52pm On Jul 12, 2016
Better change his school or class. His teacher is not handling him well.
Change his school before they turn your son to dundee
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Taywon: 1:54pm On Jul 12, 2016
he is not happy been in the school.... it may be as a result of bullying (physical...verbal..or . social ).... CHANGE THE SCHOOL.... B4 ITS LATE.... OR YOU REGRET IT
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by asatemple(f): 1:58pm On Jul 12, 2016
timonski:

blossoms in rumuokwurusi?
no, rumuigbo
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Omotakins(m): 2:01pm On Jul 12, 2016
hUmaneOne:

The difference in attitude at home and school indicates a hostile environment in school. You have to playfully engage him and get details from him because all the symptoms point to child abuse. His teacher is suspect

ask him about who his friends are. 4 year old can respond to that.
ask whether he likes his teacher, whether his teacher beats him,or calls him a dullard, or whether he will like to have another teacher. check his response when you tell him he will not see the teacher again as per school changing, check for subtle hidden signs of physical abuse.

its not a matter of watching and waiting..This formative years are more vital even than than his teen years. Please sir, you must change school ASAP
That's y I cried out. I believe the teacher has roles to play. My wife once called my attention to some mark on his back. It looked like he was caned. I will do as suggested before considering changing school. This can really be frustrating
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Gabrendo(m): 2:03pm On Jul 12, 2016
He has Low self esteem No doubt. Buh His Young 4 dat.Now the Q is whatz d cause?
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by asala1: 2:03pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:
I'm not abusing him, pls. The idea of having a home teacher was tinkered with due to reports I got. I wanted him to catch up.

Catch up with what? He is just 4 years for God sake. He has his whole life to live under pressure, please allow him enjoy his childhood. He may be shy, encourage him to play with other kids, show him how to socialize.

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by badonkadonk: 2:05pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:

The teacher no sabe im work... When did a child been quiet in class translate to him not learning anything...?

Some teachers can be daft sha...

A very good teacher would try to interact with the child to find a solution to the childs shyness albeit quietness...
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by ngoben(f): 2:12pm On Jul 12, 2016
I was once like dat sir...I has to repeat nursery 2 nt because I was nt intelligent but I was nt talking in school.@home am somefin else...Mum asked for a change of teacher(if I was in nur 2a I was taken to nursery 2b).mum said I started coping.y nt try dis n also try to ask oda parents how deir kids r doing (academically in school),some teachers r gifted n some are nt.the lord will help u...also check his frds in school(how dey behave)dey might be some untrained kids who hv made him inferior
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Omotakins(m): 2:14pm On Jul 12, 2016
musicwriter:

The so called educationists don't understand what's going on in your child's mind, cause if they knew education would be overhauled for good. I can explain to you, if you give me answer to below question.

Does your child speak English at home or our native language? Answer to this question is very important.
English, bro. He is 3⅓yrs old precisely.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by ngoben(f): 2:16pm On Jul 12, 2016
asala1:

Catch up with what? He is just 4 years for God sake. He has his whole life to live under pressure, please allow him enjoy his childhood. He may be shy, encourage him to play with other kids, show him how to socialize.
...pls sir home tutor for kids is highy important...even if na 1hr everyday...no child was born dullard,average or intelligent..-t determines on how u take dem serious during deir early days of life.dey will play cos all work n no play makes jack a dull boy..!t home tutor is highly important
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jul 12, 2016
harrysjones:
sir please can u join and support my tea in mr nairaland contest#ADEWUMIOPEYEMI#
okay i will
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by peterakams: 2:17pm On Jul 12, 2016
Whatsapp me on 08055729849 for a solution for your child's inability to understand in school.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by harrysjones(m): 2:18pm On Jul 12, 2016
BRO ARE U SURE...
Zceesneh:
okay i will
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 12, 2016
harrysjones:
BRO ARE U SURE...
God is ur strength
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Blackdundee: 2:26pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:

Looks to me like anxiety.You can try asking him simple questions like-
1.Do you hate school?
2.Why?
3.Are you being bullied?
4.Are you scared of anyone in school?

Observing him in class can help as well.You will get a better idea of what is really happening.Let me know how you get on.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by stevecantrell: 2:27pm On Jul 12, 2016
Whatever the case, your son and teacher have lost confidence in each other. Have an intimate chat with your son and start looking for a new school for him. Prevent further psychological damage to your son.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Angrymode: 2:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:

Have you had an open talk with your son about his school?
Children have a lot to say about situations if you ask them the right way. He is the best to explain since he is the one in both situations.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by blueeyes1: 2:37pm On Jul 12, 2016
Op, first off, your son isn't a dunce, he is a beautiful child in and out.

His not responding in school doesn't mean he isn't learning as shown by his reaction and activities at home. The problem here lies in the school and my first suspect is his class teacher,then (maybe) his peers.

Have tried to find out how friendly and accommodating his teacher is? If any of his friend scares him?

My seven year old son had always topped his class until he got to primary two,I noticed a drop in his grade and position,I wasn't around during the first time exams,so I attributed his performance to my absence,then second term came and the same thing happened,(before the exam,I noticed he stopped liking school,he gets so moody when it's time to go to school) I took his question papers and went through them,lo and behold,the teacher had marked some questions he got correctly wrong,I got the first term question papers too and noticed the same thing,oh boy! My head catch fire o.,I had a heart to heart talk with him and that was when he opened up to me about how his teacher beats him,shouts at him,calls him names etc,ehn? If you see me,my heart almost pounded its way out of my rib cage.

It didn't end there,even his class work and assignments, I went to the headteacher and tabled my case,I threatened they changed his class or I change his school,even the class teacher wasn't spared of my wrath,I gave her a piece of my mind,finally the issue was resolved and my son is back to his normal happy self and he is doing very well.

My point is,go to that school and find out what is really happening. Talk to your son with love too.

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by bife: 2:42pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins it's good as you are concerned because many father do not, I respect the fact that you've come here to cry for help.
NOTE THESE
*Your son is still young and there's still time to observe.
*A lesson teacher for an almost 4 is so unnecessary
*Check if your son is not being bullied in school
*has the boy ever said anything against the teacher?
If yes, you need to meet the school admin to complain or you change his school, while you make them know why.
*What's the condition of the classroom? congested? well ventilated? equipped with instructional materials?
* most times lesson teachers give wrong report in order to save their job, what if he/she has been feeding him the answers?
Don't panic, many of the advisers here are Ok... try them but don't be in a rush to jump into conclusions.
I wish you best.....
In case anyone is having similar problem with an older kid, you may try to read the article below :
https://siddiqoye./2016/03/13/dyslexia-what-you-should-know/#more-132

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Check Your Jamb 2007 Result Here / University Of Abuja School Library On Fire (Video) / Are You A Student Join Nollywood And Start Acting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.