Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,795 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls (18106 Views)

What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft / Which Of The Punishment Did You Hate Back At School. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by greatbrian(m): 2:43pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:
My son(almost 4yrs) is in the reception class. He doesn't respond to teachings at school, doesn't talk or play. This is the exact opposite at home. Plays very well at home, sings and talks about all he's taught in the school. He responds very well to the teachings of his home teacher. His teacher in school is saying he will repeat class 'cos there is nothing to show he's learnt things. What do I do? Teachers, educators and Co, ur help is needed pls.

Sir please calm down with him. I was worst than that as a kid even too my jss class. I was the dullest, stupid, foolish think of the word to qualify me it goes with my attitude to school then. Whereas at home am the opposite. I could remember vividly a day in school when my teacher uncle balogun called me no future ambition and other teachers join in calling me inhumane names. Still I never changed infact mine was so worse that anytime the class z boring and the teacher wants to catch fun he always call on me and ask me question coz he knows I won't know it. And to make matter worse, I was from a broken home where I had only my mum to care for myself and 2 sisters. Anyway my mum found a solution to my state of mind. Firstly, she changed my school coz of the dummy stigma associated to me. Even I was changed from iseyin oyo state to ekiti state. Secondly, she found my problem with studying. Like take time and study him when z with z peers. I was always timid and insecure then, his he also that way? Or better still go watch dz indian film LIKE STARS ON EARTH. Pls find and watch the film it will be of great help to u in understanding him. My testimony was after I finished secondary school, I met 2 other friends of mine who we were so dull in class (birds of same feather flocks together) their parents also changed dia school. One z a 400l law student in OAU now. The other z a medical student in UI and me, am doing great in my chosen part. And we met one of our teachers, will u believe the bastard was asking me which POLY I was. I just laughed. Pls watch d film and if u r still confused visit a counsellor who won't give up on ur kids like my teachers in KCI gave up on me.

God bless u

2 Likes

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by RiffRaff: 2:45pm On Jul 12, 2016
Take him for an AUTISM test at any hospital.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Barigaboy(m): 2:46pm On Jul 12, 2016
All children r not thesame. U have to keep encouraging him and hand over to a teacher apart from that make sure u pay d school fee n other necessary schl fee on time. U need to be nice to his schl teachers cos non fulfilment of this might brings negative attitute from schl teachers which wud discourage him to learn in sch. Also ask your child y all dis complains wen u ready to support but he will change. He would be d best soon till future.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by sbabimbola(f): 2:51pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:
My son(almost 4yrs) is in the reception class. He doesn't respond to teachings at school, doesn't talk or play. This is the exact opposite at home. Plays very well at home, sings and talks about all he's taught in the school. He responds very well to the teachings of his home teacher. His teacher in school is saying he will repeat class 'cos there is nothing to show he's learnt things. What do I do? Teachers, educators and Co, ur help is needed pls.

As much as I do not want to put the blame on the teacher, it's obvious that your child is not free or happy with the classroom environment, children don't care how much you know until they are sure of how much you care.

A Change of school may be advised.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by bife: 3:02pm On Jul 12, 2016
RiffRaff:
Take him for an AUTISM test at any hospital.

Autism? he couldn't have been active at home

3 Likes

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by taemilola(f): 3:13pm On Jul 12, 2016
The teaching approach of the teacher is the problem.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by adanny01(m): 3:15pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:

My son who is 4 was like that during his pre-nursery class but later on changed. I was worried for a while but later realised he was still learning when he started reciting things from school. The teacher complained that the could not get him to be attentive in school. The school recently complained to us that he will stop his class work in the middle of it and start drawing images. The head mistress said she was going to make him draw to see if he has a talent that was trying to manifest.

I guess children pass through several stages and need to beunder stood. We used to struggle with him to have him do his homework, right now he starts his home work himself. At a point i started wondering if he had ADD-Attention Deficit Disorder. I believe its a phase that they pass.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Kemicares(f): 3:51pm On Jul 12, 2016
Your child has a learning challenge, there are children who cannot function properly in a mainstream school , they therefore require the help of a special needs teacher, here proper one-on-one attention will be give to each child at a time, unlike a normal school where they are about 20 in the classroom and the teacher hardly has time for a child. Your child might just be a special need child. So i'll recommend you get a special needs school where early intervention will be provided for your child afterwards he will be returned back to a normal school after thorough therapy has been done, it might take a while though but it will be worth it trust me. He'll be fine
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by musicwriter(m): 4:00pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:
English, bro. He is 3⅓yrs old precisely.

In that case, he will eventually adjust to the school environment over time and will behave accordingly. I'm guessing he was enrolled not long ago, so his young mind is still trying to make sense of it all.

However, if you want him catch up immediately, you have to find a way to get him understand what's going on at the home lesson is the same thing going on at school. That's what he need to understand now.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by missingrib(f): 4:01pm On Jul 12, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Have you asked you son, what his fears or concerns are ?
asked a four year old son what is his fear what do u think is reply will be... from my own knowledge of kids he will just b staring at u like lukman.. in my own opinion they should try taking the child to a school were some of his friends are that is those he play with at home maybe that can loosen him up.. he seems his being intimidated or the teachers are been too harsh on him or them parse
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jul 12, 2016
@op kindly contact a therapist. Your son is not alone. Some children fall into this category. I am a clinical psychologist and I am of the opinion that if you give him the desired attention he will improve. Kindly send me a mail naijatherapy@gmail.com
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by abbey4721: 4:17pm On Jul 12, 2016
Your son will improve. My son has fallen into this kind of situation before but he has overcome it. Try the following steps:
i) Sit him down and come a little bit to his level. You can tell him if he is not responding in class you will not buy new things for him . In other words, you can play some tricks on him and tell you will buy new shoes or any new things that might excite him if his aunty and uncle at school confirms he is responding and asking questions in class. I have tried this trick and it works.
ii) You need to create an environment for your son to interact and play some children within his age brackets at home or in the church.
iii) Create some time to treat his home work with him.
iii) Remember to pray for him so that God should give him boldness, wisdom and understanding.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Afesdiddy(m): 4:20pm On Jul 12, 2016
I can help your son on dt
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Lexusgs430: 4:22pm On Jul 12, 2016
missingrib:
asked a four year old son what is his fear what do u think is reply will be... from my own knowledge of kids he will just b staring at u like lukman.. in my own opinion they should try taking the child to a school were some of his friends are that is those he play with at home maybe that can loosen him up.. he seems his being intimidated or the teachers are been too harsh on him or them parse

You would be surprised how sensible a four year is, or can be.
From what the father said, son responds at home but not at school.
The best solution to an issue, is getting the person directly involved, in the solution.

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by DebbieSean(f): 4:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
yanabasee:
At home... Do you allow your son to play around with his peers in your neighbourhood?..

His relationship with the neighbours will go along way to enhance his social life.. If you stay where there are no neighbours around.. Try to bring in ur brothers or sister's children for visitation during weekends....

I used to be like him... But in my case.. I wasn't able to speak English language which was the only means of communication in the school... So I'll find it very difficult to associate with other kids in the school...
He'll come around. I've been teaching professionally for six years now so it's not new. I've met several children like that. Make the teacher see reasons why he shouldn't repeat that class again. The teacher should also bring him closer by being more friendly, motivate him whenever he does something well, make the whole class clap for him, make learning fun and exciting and also assist him relate well with others in class through games, competitions, simple quiz questions and make it rewarding. I promise you are going to see changes in less than a month, trust me.

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jul 12, 2016
@omotakins, I actually logged in because of you, not to worry your son obviously has "SELECTIVE MUTISM" not autism. This is either due to excessive shyness, fear of social embarrassment or anxiety in specific situations, such as classrooms or any where else outside of the home.

Hence why he doesn't talk in school but communicates well at home.

It's simply an anxiety disorder that occurs in childhood, usually before the age of 5, and this leads to education or intellectual impairments for the teacher might find it hard to comprehend and assess the child level of understanding or his or her reading skills.

Also you need to make an appointment with a qualified psychologists for behavioral therapy.

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Abeos(m): 5:01pm On Jul 12, 2016
missuzoma:
my girl's teacher once had this same complaint. she was not responding to anything including her name and just stared at the teacher. when i asked her what was wrong, she simply told me the teacher was calling her Ifeoma instead of Ihuoma. can you imagine! check the school and teacher well!
Lol kids!!!
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by 3kay945(m): 5:04pm On Jul 12, 2016
steppin:
One of the many habits of over-pampered kids. He probably needs to be spoon-fed before he can learn.

Are you for real Funny you.

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Raymonbell(m): 5:09pm On Jul 12, 2016
That child is afraid of something. You must find out what it's and withdraw your kid afterwards.

Strange but true
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Neverquit(f): 5:09pm On Jul 12, 2016
See...I was right. He is being abused by his teachers. Imagine beating a 3.5 year old child...utter rubbish.

Rather sad that we don't have early childhood educators in Nigeria...when a child fails to fit into the traditional roles, the next thing is to flog him.

You can do a video recording of him reciting the poems and counting to show the school's head. Did you mention the marks on his body to the school's head? If they are still being ignorant, please and please change his school.

Omotakins:
That's y I cried out. I believe the teacher has roles to play. My wife once called my attention to some mark on his back. It looked like he was caned. I will do as suggested before considering changing school. This can really be frustrating
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Ogamgil(f): 5:09pm On Jul 12, 2016
Change his school. He is scared of his teacher or something in school.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by k9yt(m): 5:35pm On Jul 12, 2016
Call 08035252956 I will direct U to a brain trainer who will help ur child because I think ur child is dyslexic
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Ojugunrege(f): 6:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
missuzoma:
my girl's teacher once had this same complaint. she was not responding to anything including her name and just stared at the teacher. when i asked her what was wrong, she simply told me the teacher was calling her Ifeoma instead of Ihuoma. can you imagine! check the school and teacher well!

Lolzzz...children, such sweet souls kiss kiss....I love your child already
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by kikelomojessy(f): 6:42pm On Jul 12, 2016
Omotakins:
I did say that he plays at home, talks, recites things taught in school, but all these he won't do in school.

Let me share me own experience with you. I was once a teacher handling kG 2 pupils, I have dis pupil that has difficulty learning (he has a very big head Wch is abnormal). The mum just put him in school just incase God intervene in his case. The only thing I did was to study dis child, I started by giving him handshake everymorni, asking all pupils to clap for him even wen he is not getting anytin right. I drew him closer, removed every fear from him. Showed him love and gave him extra coaching. And Dats it, the mum came to me with gift that his son has improved. Ur son is not too comfortable with his school environment, talk to the teacher and see how he/she can help out.

1 Like

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by SHAIBULIAR: 7:02pm On Jul 12, 2016
Relax he will soon get over it. You do pass dat even at age 7
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by RedHand: 7:30pm On Jul 12, 2016
Your son is a genius, have a cousin like they are genuises. Pls calm down and study him very well...you might just be the father of another Einstein.

2 Likes

Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by MikeB3(m): 7:37pm On Jul 12, 2016
Please try and observe the teacher very well probably there is something she is doing that is causing communication obstruction for your dear son with his environment when at school. Then you can now take the next step towards a long lasting solution.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Afesdiddy(m): 7:46pm On Jul 12, 2016
Get him a private teacher
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by asala1: 7:49pm On Jul 12, 2016
ngoben:
...pls sir home tutor for kids is highy important...even if na 1hr everyday...no child was born dullard,average or intelligent..-t determines on how u take dem serious during deir early days of life.dey will play cos all work n no play makes jack a dull boy..!t home tutor is highly important

Home tutor for a 4 years old is an abuse. There is no child that should pass through that. Don't turn your kids to robot, let them develop their creativity, let them enjoy their childhood. Stop putting pressure on your kids, they are not responsible for your failure.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by bikefab(m): 8:14pm On Jul 12, 2016
Signs of a genius in d making...been there, done that.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 12, 2016
Look for a way to make him talk about what happens in school daily, make it a routine and interesting.

You'll be surprise what will be revealed.

I've been in similar situation. Believe me when I say d problem is the teacher and not your kid.
Re: My Son Doesn't Respond At School! A Confused Father Needs Help, Pls by emiye(m): 8:26pm On Jul 12, 2016
As a child i had a similar problem, infact i was always promoted on trial from my first schooling class of Nursery 2 to pri 2. At age 4, i was enrolled in nursery 2. By the time i got to pri . 2 , my new teacher mr bayo one day looked at me and said he has had enough of me, i simply wont talk, and i remember as a 5.5 yrs old boy, i could barely mention my name. he took me to headmasters office so i could be demoted to pri 1. grin , maybe d saving grace was the headmaster wasnt in office. he returned me back to class and i suspect he decided to henceforth give me special attention. By 2nd term i had improved drastically, and i had a position that earned me a prize from my teacher, the 18th position. grin. It was the worst position i would ever be placed afterwards in any competitive academic environment. It was my turning point. I suspect you allow d teacher focus slightly more on him at least for a term , the teacher should be rewarded with extra tips. If there isnt any improvement after a term, change his school.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

University Of Abuja School Library On Fire (Video) / Are You A Student Join Nollywood And Start Acting / Why JAMB Will Not Release The Top Scorers’ Names In The 2024 UTME

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.