Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,114 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer (10057 Views)

My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me / My Employer Is Taking Advantage Of Me / I Was Slapped By My Employer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by AntiWailer: 7:39am On Jul 14, 2016
Why did u resume work without employment letter?

Where was the terms of employment written?
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by dulaman: 7:40am On Jul 14, 2016
How did you learn Chinese?
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Goldenheart(m): 7:42am On Jul 14, 2016
chinese ve no conscience,

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 14, 2016
Op, we are in this together, people pls help us o, what are the implications.
Mine is owned by a Nigerian, when I started work, my manager told me exactly what you manager told you. And one funny thing about my md is that during your first month of employment, she wiilll psychologically make you feel she is just managing you, and she fires and hire at will too, so to come go meet am say I need employment letter is something that was really impossible, you no know whetin you go do whey she go fire you. Now I can ask her for it, cos I've proven my worth but it seems late already.

What is the solution?
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Lexusgs430: 7:57am On Jul 14, 2016
lawnreigh:
Good Afternoon Nairalanders, I really need your advice my people, I work in a production company owned Chinese as an Asst. HR, although I was recently employed there, I asked my Manager who happens to be a Nigerian about employment letter at least if I'm not collecting it in the beginning (probation period) I should be able to know the duration which the probation period will end and I will be able to collect my employment letter. To my greatest surprise my Manager told me that they don't give employment letter that funny enough he hasn't been given one too. It was so surprising and demoralizing, he now told me to meet our General Manager(Chinese) and ask him about it. After asking him, he dodged the question and told me that he will consider it latter and all that. My Manager already told me that will be his response and that they don't give people letter in order to avoid litigation in it comes up. To the Lawyers and experienced people on this forum, I need your advice
Note: This people can make you work for 24hrs and they pay stipend that doesn't commensurate with my certificate coupled with the fact that I speak Chinese (intermediate). Moreover I've seen them dismiss people in cold blood(Factory Workers), they axe at will, no severance package, benefits etc but the fear of unemployment is also the beginning of wisdom considering the fact that there are little job out there with thousands of Job Seekers. Please matured advice only

The reason they can hire and fire at will and not issue employment letters. Is because the rights of workers are not protected by the government and unions.
Send an email to Minister Ngige or his office seeking his advice. The Chinese can only try it in Nigeria and other countries that allow them get away with murder. They know they can fire and employ at will, due to the high level of employment and desperation of the workforce.
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Inspectahdeck(m): 7:58am On Jul 14, 2016
Firstly, what type of farming? You have to love what you want to do. Farming isn't easy.

Secondly, where is your plot located? Hope not a residential area. Why I asked is to avoid environmental issues in future.

Sure we can communicate through email.

uncletech:
Bro great one pls hw do i start farming on my empty plot with low capital like 10 to 20k pls pls will like to start something on my own pls u can we pls chart with my email?
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Abuleoshi: 8:05am On Jul 14, 2016
So What is your Job really as HR in that company when you who is HR does not have an employment letter? So without a lawyer, you don't know something is wrong with that company? That is their own process, if you don't like it, resign and stop wasting our data to read crap and advise you!

1 Like

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Juzzybabe(f): 8:09am On Jul 14, 2016
An offer letter or employment letter is the written agreement between you and your employer which serves as an evidence to both parties depending on what it contains,in case of troubles. If you don't have one,or any signed contract relating to the job,then u are not a staff as far as the company is concern. If they refuse to pay you,you can do absolutely nothing about it. *Bad labour practice* But like you said,"no job" I will advice u hold onto that while you apply for other jobs. one thing about employers is that,they don't fancy hiring people who are home and jobless,they would rather hire someone already on a job but willing to leave for theirs. Use them as a point of reference for experience and seek another job. I wish you luck.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by sekundosekundo: 8:11am On Jul 14, 2016
[quote author=Ghost447 post=47521398]If you can forward the details of the company and your allegation to my Email, I will write a petition & copy all the appropriate authorities, including the Ministry of Labour & productivity, not just for your sake, but for the sake of the dignity

But you are a Ghost worker, don't you know that the government doesn't recognize you.
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by magnificientzaz(f): 8:16am On Jul 14, 2016
Chinese companies do not give employment letter of any sort and they make the people that works with them work like hell 24/7 thing.
My bro used to work with them, the one in Benin but it was more like slavery thing so he quit.
Also note that u can be dismissed at any time. Just manage for now if u don't have any other option.
And search for others while u r there. It is difficult to get another job while u work with them cos u won't have the time to attend other interviews when u r with them.
Wish u all the best.
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by carolope(f): 8:20am On Jul 14, 2016
lawnreigh:
Good Afternoon Nairalanders, I really need your advice my people, I work in a production company owned Chinese as an Asst. HR, although I was recently employed there, I asked my Manager who happens to be a Nigerian about employment letter at least if I'm not collecting it in the beginning (probation period) I should be able to know the duration which the probation period will end and I will be able to collect my employment letter. To my greatest surprise my Manager told me that they don't give employment letter that funny enough he hasn't been given one too. It was so surprising and demoralizing, he now told me to meet our General Manager(Chinese) and ask him about it. After asking him, he dodged the question and told me that he will consider it latter and all that. My Manager already told me that will be his response and that they don't give people letter in order to avoid litigation in it comes up. To the Lawyers and experienced people on this forum, I need your advice
Note: This people can make you work for 24hrs and they pay stipend that doesn't commensurate with my certificate coupled with the fact that I speak Chinese (intermediate). Moreover I've seen them dismiss people in cold blood(Factory Workers), they axe at will, no severance package, benefits etc but the fear of unemployment is also the beginning of wisdom considering the fact that there are little job out there with thousands of Job Seekers. Please matured advice only

Tell them you need a copy for your pension insurance. They should at least be able to give you something that proves you work.

That said, it's obvious you (or rather your employer) don't pay taxes. angry sad
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 14, 2016
lawnreigh:

what is the HR doing?
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Pennywise(m): 8:58am On Jul 14, 2016
@Op, I am not a lawyer. I own a small business so life has taught me a few things I thought I should share.

A lot of employers of labour in Nigeria don't want to be inconvenienced for good reason. And it might not be on account of what u think- a locus to seek redress in wrongful termination.

Your employer's salaried payment to u is credible enough evidence to prove you were lawfully employed by them. And all contracts will usually end with "and any other duty assigned to you"meaning your arsse is theirs. U can't raise legal complaint about being asked to do what u were not employed for. So an employment letter has limited value here.

You are in HR so U will understand when I say getting an ideal and suitable employee is a hit or miss affair. Some employees turn out to be fantastic, some good, some horrible even dangerous.

Therefore the company exposes itself with every new employment.

If u have a good brand and your business depends on your good name and perception to thrive, one really bad employee will kill the business.

I give an example. My HR employed someone a few years ago intelligent and eminently qualified for the job. I was happy until I found this individual has a terrible secret. Hard hitting alcoholic. Don't get me wrong I am a dude and I drink. But this guy turns into a complete zombie, falls on the ground. My peeps hid this from me for a while until I found out.

Somebody like this parading your employment letter stigmatises your organisation. For many reasons employers frequently do not find it convenient or necessary going into dialogue over a former employee and the bad ones know this.

I will say forget about employment letter and use the company to uplift yourself . Life is a ladder.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Dammyllionaire(m): 9:11am On Jul 14, 2016
Ghost447:
If you can forward the details of the company and your allegation to my Email, I will write a petition & copy all the appropriate authorities, including the Ministry of Labour & productivity, not just for your sake, but for the sake of the dignity of others.

I also work in a Nigeria company that don't give employment letter except from those they've given many years ago. But for over 5years now, they've not been issuing employment letter to their employee. Even, the company plan to close down some of it's branches without any hope of gratitude to those workers that have work with them for over the years.
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Ghost447(m): 9:13am On Jul 14, 2016
[quote author=sekundosekundo post=47522825][/quote]I have no time for jambite like you. Apparently you have no knowledge about discreet agencies of government. If you want my identity I will advice you to die first.
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by lawnreigh(m): 9:23am On Jul 14, 2016
angelusbrut:

what is the HR doing?
He is in the same shoes as I am Brother
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by lawnreigh(m): 9:24am On Jul 14, 2016
carolope:

Tell them you need a copy for your pension insurance. They should at least be able to give you something that proves you work.

That said, it's obvious you (or rather your employer) don't pay taxes. angry sad
Its a big Company and they pay taxes
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by owo206: 9:32am On Jul 14, 2016
My brother ask them to produce your employment letter. this is incident happened to me. After serving the probation period an excuse was given and they cancelled the employment. its a cheat from some company's to enslave Nigerians.
lawnreigh:
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 14, 2016
It means that you are a "Ghost Worker" and the company is covered under plausible deniability in the event that something happens. If the company withholds your salary, wages ot fires you, it means you can not fight back as you are not employed by them.

Get your IRP while you are with them and slide out of there as fast as Oil Price.
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by sekundosekundo: 9:53am On Jul 14, 2016
Ghost447:
I have no time for jambite like you. Apparently you have no knowledge about discreet agencies of government. If you want my identity I will advice you to die first.

I don't need identity of a Ghost.
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Rexnegro(m): 10:17am On Jul 14, 2016
lawnreigh:
Keep working Why You write Nigeria labour congress, write a lawyer if You can also...if You re The first to right The wrong all these Chinese, lebanon ,india etc company Are doing it did go a long way bro. write to the state labour congress chairman. Goodluck
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by KELVIN086: 10:19am On Jul 14, 2016
Inspectahdeck:
1) manage and search for another job. You have no life over there.

2) start a business or go into agriculture.

I resigned from the oil and gas industry last year January, I got married that same January. But I decided never to work for a company that owes salary for months and treat workers badly.

For a year and 3 months I did nothing but God never allowed me and my wife suffer. We had food and could pay our utility bills. All I did was to prepare myself (I decided never to work for a one man business or stupid companies, instead I start mine) April this year the favour of the Lord descended and I own my business and also a pig farm worth 5m naira.

I don't have time for my farm because my manpower and procurement business is keeping me very busy. How the money came is a blessing.

I had a sincere 1 month fast and things change.

Get motivated bro and take that step. It's never easy but you will be glad you did at the end.

God bless you sir , I dey ur back , farming is the future but many people don't know it yet.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Angelb4: 10:24am On Jul 14, 2016
To get work nai hard, no be to collect the letter. Travel go there na. Shoooo!
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by mfm04622: 10:31am On Jul 14, 2016
Don't deceive yourself oooo. You never get work. That place na stopover, not final bus stop. Start looking for another place. They have Sacked others justice that, when they decide they don't need you, how do you think they will treat you?
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by Kgdavid(m): 11:49am On Jul 14, 2016
rrule911:
I advise you send him an official mail, ensure u Copy you personal mail like yahoo or gmail, use recipient read and detail you fears, recommendations and present situation... That should be tenable in the future

And if the management understand what she is doing that could lead to her immediate sack.
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by blank(f): 11:51am On Jul 14, 2016
How is your salary paid? Is it via cash or bank transfer? If by bank what name is on the bank statement.
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by lawnreigh(m): 12:39pm On Jul 14, 2016
Ghost447:
If you can forward the details of the company and your allegation to my Email, I will write a petition & copy all the appropriate authorities, including the Ministry of Labour & productivity, not just for your sake, but for the sake of the dignity of others.
Plz send me your email
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by lawnreigh(m): 12:41pm On Jul 14, 2016
AntiWailer:
Why did u resume work without employment letter?

Where was the terms of employment written?
eagerness to get a job
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by lawnreigh(m): 12:46pm On Jul 14, 2016
ambidextrous:
Op, we are in this together, people pls help us o, what are the implications.
Mine is owned by a Nigerian, when I started work, my manager told me exactly what you manager told you. And one funny thing about my md is that during your first month of employment, she wiilll psychologically make you feel she is just managing you, and she fires and hire at will too, so to come go meet am say I need employment letter is something that was really impossible, you no know whetin you go do whey she go fire you. Now I can ask her for it, cos I've proven my worth but it seems late already.

What is the solution?
My Brother I have No clue, I'm just sure that this will be My last Job that I wouldn't ask for those things right at the interview stage

1 Like

Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by AntiWailer: 12:46pm On Jul 14, 2016
lawnreigh:
eagerness to get a job

I understand but in your own interest you don't do that.

Nobody will offer you a job because of Pity , it is because they calculated that u will be useful.

So dnt sell ur self cheap. Desperation turns some employers off.
Re: How Can I Collect My Employment Letter From My Employer by lawnreigh(m): 12:56pm On Jul 14, 2016
Pennywise:
@Op, I am not a lawyer. I own a small business so life has taught me a few things I thought I should share.

A lot of employers of labour in Nigeria don't want to be inconvenienced for good reason. And it might not be on account of what u think- a locus to seek redress in wrongful termination.

Your employer's salaried payment to u is credible enough evidence to prove you were lawfully employed by them. And all contracts will usually end with "and any other duty assigned to you"meaning your arsse is theirs. U can't raise legal complaint about being asked to do what u were not employed for. So an employment letter has limited value here.

You are in HR so U will understand when I say getting an ideal and suitable employee is a hit or miss affair. Some employees turn out to be fantastic, some good, some horrible even dangerous.

Therefore the company exposes itself with every new employment.

If u have a good brand and your business depends on your good name and perception to thrive, one really bad employee will kill the business.

I give an example. My HR employed someone a few years ago intelligent and eminently qualified for the job. I was happy until I found this individual has a terrible secret. Hard hitting alcoholic. Don't get me wrong I am a dude and I drink. But this guy turns into a complete zombie, falls on the ground. My peeps hid this from me for a while until I found out.

Somebody like this parading your employment letter stigmatises your organisation. For many reasons employers frequently do not find it convenient or necessary going into dialogue over a former employee and the bad ones know this.
This is a great word of Wisdom especially the last 2 sentences

I will say forget about employment letter and use the company to uplift yourself . Life is a ladder.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Disagree With Your Boss And Still Keep Your Job / Going Back To School While Working Full Time. / Who Wants To Be A Bus Conductor For Life?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.