Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,716 members, 7,816,947 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons (3317 Views)

Diezani Madueke - "Only Biafra Can Guarantee You Freedom" Says Asari Dokubo / The Weapons Army Recovered From Militants In Ondo State (Photos) / See The Weapons 'Recovered' From Shiite Muslims After Clash With Police In Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by kettykin: 1:52pm On Jul 14, 2016
Hello nairalanders what do you think would have been the outcome of the war if biafra had the weapons Nigeria had and Nigeria had the weapons biafra had.

First I am not trying to bakanise or instigate or try to encourage those who want to balknise the country.
I want to have intelligent minds discuss.
Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by MILFangela(f): 2:05pm On Jul 14, 2016
Biafra would still have lost the war

8 Likes

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by attacker321: 2:08pm On Jul 14, 2016
Biafra would have won no doubt 'cos only goats would lose with such support but what is the use of this thread for goodness sake?

1 Like

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by ConqueredWest: 2:13pm On Jul 14, 2016
MILFangela:

Reasoning of a house wife

8 Likes

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by RockHard: 2:20pm On Jul 14, 2016
If only Ojukwu had not lied and beat his chest to his people about his preparedness for the war, at least 3-million souls could have been spared and not died in vain over a war he lost and ended up cowardly abandoning. undecided If only... If only... Too many if onlys.. undecided

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by shukuokukobambi: 2:40pm On Jul 14, 2016
RockHard:
If only Ojukwu had not lied and beat his chest to his people about his preparedness for the war, at least 3-million souls could have been spared and not died in vain over a war he lost and ended up cowardly abandoning. undecided If only... If only... Too many if onlys.. undecided

Tori don finish. If only he didn't tell tall tales, beat that rusty chest and blow all that hot air. We could all have been spared all that horror.

Well, there'll always be a better way. The wise will find it

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jul 14, 2016
MILFangela:

Yoruba men and pretending to be females. What is wrong you men? Is it because most of you were raised by single mothers? That's why women don't respect you guys. Everyday I read a sorry axis story on Nairaland of yoruba men complaining how their girlfriends left them and threats them like nothing. Go get balls and masculinity like Igbo and SS men. Goodness me.

By the way, the OP is also a yoruba man, and the same person as this weak sissy yoruba man claiming Milfangela.

6 Likes

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by Stingman: 2:49pm On Jul 14, 2016
"...there appears to be no reason why Biafra, with its 15 million people, could not have established a viable, independent state. Biafrans argued that they were a people with a distinctive language and culture, that they were Christian as opposed to the Muslim communities lumped into the Nigeria federal state, which had, after all, been a colonial creation. In fact, Biafra was also one of the most developed regions in Africa with a high density of roads, schools, hospitals and factories. The struggle for an independent state certainly appeared to have the support of the majority of Biafrans, whose sense of nationhood deepened throughout the war as enormous sacrifices were made to contribute to the war effort" Mark Curtis !967.

1 Like

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jul 14, 2016
kettykin:
Hello nairalanders what do you think would have been the outcome of the war if biafra had the weapons Nigeria had and Nigeria had the weapons biafra had.

First I am not trying to bakanise or instigate or try to encourage those who want to balknise the country.
If biafra had the weapons Nigeria had, they still would have lost cos they really didn't have a leader who was ready to die for the course. Besides, they were disadvantaged from the start but turned deaf hears to Awolowo's many advice against their secession move.

Mind you, weapons didn't win the war but Awolowo's brain inspired policies.

7 Likes

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by Stingman: 2:51pm On Jul 14, 2016
"British interests are very clearly revealed in the declassified files. ‘Our direct interests are trade and investment, including an important stake by Shell/BP in the eastern Region. There are nearly 20,000 British nationals in Nigeria, for whose welfare we are of course specially [sic] concerned’, the Foreign Office noted a few days before the outbreak of the war. Shell/BP’s investments amounted to around £200 million, with other British investment in Nigeria accounting for a further £90 million. It was then partly owned by the British government, and the largest producer of oil which provided most of Nigeria’s export earnings. Most of this oil was in the eastern region" Mark Curtis
Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by Stingman: 2:56pm On Jul 14, 2016
"In the first half of the following year, 1968, Britain approved the export of 15 million rounds of ammunition, 21,000 mortar bombs, 42,500 Howtizer rounds, 12 Oerlikon guns, 3 Bofors guns, 500 submachine guns, 12 Saladins with guns and spare parts, 30 Saracens and spare parts, 800 bayonets, 4,000 rifles and two other helicopters. At the same time Wilson was constantly reassuring Gowon of British support for a united Nigeria, saying in April 1968 that ‘I think we can fairly claim that we have not wavered in this support throughout the civil war’. MArk Curtis

Despite all these, the strong Biafran army continued...The FMG had to resort to weakly and cowardly starvation. I have no doubt in my mind that Biafra would have won if they had one twentieth of the weapons obtained by the FMG.
Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by Stingman: 3:04pm On Jul 14, 2016
"...By the end of 1968 Britain had sold Nigeria £9 million worth of arms, £6 million of which was spent on small arms. A quarter of Nigeria’s supplies (by value) had come from the Soviet Union, also taking advantage of the war for its own benefit and trying no doubt to secure an opening into Nigeria provided by this opportunity. British officials consistently justified their arms supply by saying that if they stopped, the Russians would fill the gap. It was Britain’s oil interests, however, that was the dominating factor in Whitehall planners’ reasoning" Mark Curtis

Imagine Britain and Russia falling over themselves to supply arms...The FMG had to use other means to win the war- Disgraceful and womanly tool of starvation was used...
Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by Stingman: 3:09pm On Jul 14, 2016
"They say a man without the knowledge of history is like a man without memory. As a northern Nigerian under the age of 30 I’ve always wondered why the Igbos tend to refuse to apply themselves very well politically.

I guess they’ve always wanted to be Biafrans (and justifiably so), not Nigerians. They didnt just want to ‘threaten’ Nigerian unity like they have always been accused of doing… I now understand where they’re coming from.

Just imagine if the Igbos were simply allowed to break away and form their Biafran Republic, how this entity called Nigeria would have fared. Maybe we will have ended up becoming prosperous friendly nations and economic allies with special ECOWAS relationships. And certainly the shameless massacre by the Nigerian and British governments will have been completely avoided.

Nigeria may be better off united economically and militarily, but the true yearnings of the peoples involved count more than mere economic growth on paper. Everyone has to feel among and feel important. Maybe, just maybe, if we were all allowed to go our separate ways we will end up becoming friends and allies and everything will eventually turn out for the better" Abdullahi

Comment by a northerner, after reading the brief by Curtis
Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by babyfaceafrica: 4:19pm On Jul 14, 2016
Weapons don necessarily win wars,techniques,tact and millitary intelligence does.....also Nigeria had lots of advantages. In size ,foreign aid and road networks.....biafra really stood no chance!!!

4 Likes

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by attackgat: 4:33pm On Jul 14, 2016
RockHard:

And if Gowon had not broken the Aburi agreement he signed in Ghana, there would be no need for the war in the first place
Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by attackgat: 4:37pm On Jul 14, 2016
kettykin:

OP, if the Biafran Soldiers who were outgunned and out manned could kill more Nigerian Soldiers than Nigerian Solidiers did to Biafrans Soldiers, what do you think would have happened if they had the amount of weapons Nigeria had? They would have chased Gowon in Niger Republic

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by attackgat: 4:41pm On Jul 14, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:
If biafra had the weapons Nigeria had, they still would have lost cos they really didn't have a leader who was ready to die for the course. Besides, they were disadvantaged from the start but turned deaf hears to Awolowo's many advice against their secession move.

Mind you, weapons didn't win the war but Awolowo's brain inspired policies.

You are wrong. Ojukwu was the best person placed to have won the war. Ojukwu was the one who had the Oil. If Ojukwu had been able to sell Oil and import arms the way he wanted, Nigeria could never have won. It was British Warships that blockaded Biafra and prevented Ojukwu from selling Oil while supplying massive amounts of Arms to Nigeria. Britain won the war for Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by ba7man(m): 4:43pm On Jul 14, 2016
shukuokukobambi:

Tori don finish. If only he didn't tell tall tales, beat that rusty chest and blow all that hot air. We could all have been spared all that horror.

Well, there'll always be a better way. The wise will find it

Who the F*#k are you?? grin grin grin
Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 14, 2016
attackgat:

You are wrong. Ojukwu was the best person placed to have won the war. Ojukwu was the one who had the Oil. If Ojukwu had been able to sell Oil and import arms the way he wanted, Nigeria could never have won. It was British Warships that blockaded Biafra and prevented Ojukwu from selling Oil while supplying massive amounts of Arms to Nigeria. Britain won the war for Nigeria.
Was this what your civil war crippled, palmwine drinking uncle told you under a mango tree?

4 Likes

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by ba7man(m): 4:49pm On Jul 14, 2016
Stingman:
"...By the end of 1968 Britain had sold Nigeria £9 million worth of arms, £6 million of which was spent on small arms. A quarter of Nigeria’s supplies (by value) had come from the Soviet Union, also taking advantage of the war for its own benefit and trying no doubt to secure an opening into Nigeria provided by this opportunity. British officials consistently justified their arms supply by saying that if they stopped, the Russians would fill the gap. It was Britain’s oil interests, however, that was the dominating factor in Whitehall planners’ reasoning" Mark Curtis

Imagine Britain and Russia falling over themselves to supply arms...The FMG had to use other means to win the war- Disgraceful and womanly tool of starvation was used...
Dude..... that was common sense at play.

Why should i fight you and feed you at the same time................. or why should you fight the person feeding you?

4 Likes

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by ba7man(m): 4:51pm On Jul 14, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:

Was this what your civil war crippled, palmwine drinking uncle told you under a mango tree?
F*#k guy like you. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by asorocker: 4:51pm On Jul 14, 2016
RockHard:

Do you think the problem was from the leadership of Ojukwu or from lack of Ammunitions , here below is an independent verdict from a british , Taffy_Williams who served in the Biafran military as a mercenary , at no point did he blame the Ojukwu Leadership and his verdict can be seen as independet because his country supported Nigeria

Williams found his Biafran troops to be completely different from those whom he commanded in Katanga. "I've seen a lot of Africans at war" he was quoted as saying. "But there's nobody to touch these people. Give me 10,000 Biafrans for six months, and we'll build an army that would be invincible on this continent. I've seen men die in this war who would have won the Victoria Cross in another context"
Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by ba7man(m): 4:51pm On Jul 14, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:

F*#king guy like you. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by shukuokukobambi: 4:53pm On Jul 14, 2016
ba7man:
Who the F*#k are you?? grin grin grin

I'm a f*#king proud Yoruba guy without apologies.

May I meet f*#king you? wink

2 Likes

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by ba7man(m): 4:53pm On Jul 14, 2016
asorocker:

Do you think the problem was from the leadership of Ojukwu or from lack of Ammunitions , here below is an independent verdict from a british , Taffy_Williams who served in the Biafran military as a mercenary , at no point did he blame the Ojukwu Leadership and his verdict can be seen as independet because his country supported Nigeria

..... Eventually..... they lost. undecided........ and the rest is story.

Live with it.

4 Likes

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by attackgat: 4:54pm On Jul 14, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:

Read books on the war and find out. Do you think it would have been the Groundnut pyramids of Kano that Gowon would have used to fight a war against Ojukwus Oil?
Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by asorocker: 4:55pm On Jul 14, 2016
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taffy_Williams

Noted for his bravery under fire he served two tours of duty with the Biafran Army, rising to the rank of Major and was the last white mercenary to leave the country as secession ended.[1]

Williams found his Biafran troops to be completely different from those whom he commanded in Katanga. "I've seen a lot of Africans at war" he was quoted as saying But there's nobody to touch these people. Give me 10,000 Biafrans for six months, and we'll build an army that would be invincible on this continent
I've seen men die in this war who would have won the Victoria Cross in another context

Williams was assigned one hundred Biafran fighters in early 1968, and managed to keep two battalions of Chadian mercenaries serving with the Nigerian Federal Army at bay for twelve weeks with only antiquated weapons
After Williams redeployed his forces in early April, the Chadians forded the Cross River at two locations, and captured Afikpo, a main town on the western side.[3]

Completing his first contract and following a brief stay in the UK, Williams returned to Biafra on 7 July 1968. He was assigned to the 4th Commando Brigade led by Lt. Col Rolf Steiner. Steiner had command of 3000 men, and was assigned to the area around the Enugu - Onitsha road. Williams, who liked to joke that he was "half-mad", would personally lead his troops into battle, sometimes standing in a hail of Federal gunfire, just to prove to his troops that he was indeed "bullet-proof". His resolve under fire would often unnerve the more superstitious of Nigerian soldiers and serve to rally his own.[4]

On 24 August 1968 Williams was drawn into a critical battle of the conflict. At this point, he had 1000 soldiers under his command which carried out counteroffensives against two battalion-sized enemy units attempting to cross the Imo River Bridge with Soviet military advisers. When Williams returned to Aba for additional ammunition to continue the fight, he was told that there was simply none to be had. The Nigerian Air Force had become quite successful in blocking supplies into the beleaguered state. Some of Williams' men had only two rounds left for their rifles and many were forced to withdraw.[5]

Following the arrest and expulsion of Steiner and four others, Major Williams was allegedly the only European still left serving with the Biafran army. He left the state shortly before its collapse. It is thought that Williams, who encountered author Frederick Forsyth there as a war correspondent, served as the inspiration for the character of Carlo Shannon in Forsyth's The Dogs of War (novel).[6]

1 Like

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by ba7man(m): 4:55pm On Jul 14, 2016
shukuokukobambi:

I'm a f*#king proud Yoruba guy without apologies.

May I meet f*#king you? wink
Minus the swear words........ you're quite harsh with your delivery..... spank kids but don't kick them with Timberland boots afterwards.

1 Like

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by Stingman: 4:56pm On Jul 14, 2016
ba7man:
Dude..... that was common sense at play.

Why should i fight you and feed you at the same time................. or why should you fight the person feeding you?

You are coward joke...Who wants the FMG to feed them? What if the food was poisoned? They had to stop other Charitable agencies from doing other duties...which was wrong.
Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jul 14, 2016
Stingman:

You are coward joke...Who wants the FMG to feed them? What if the food was poisoned? They had to stop other Charitable agencies from doing other duties...which was wrong.

Baba you just dey shoot us. Upon say war don finish cheesy

Opelope bulletproof grin

4 Likes

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 14, 2016
attackgat:

Read books on the war and find out. Do you think it would have been the Groundnut pyramids of Kano that Gowon would have used to fight a war against Ojukwus Oil?
grin

Ojukwu's Oil or Niger Delta Oyel?

5 Likes

Re: If Only Biafra Had The Weapons Nigeria Had And Nigeria Had Biafra Weapons by shukuokukobambi: 5:00pm On Jul 14, 2016
ba7man:
Minus the swear words........ you're quite harsh with your delivery..... spank kids but don't kick them with Timberland boots afterwards.

cheesy cheesy

These so called kids are incorrigible, hopelessly hateful and I must tell you, there's absolutely nothing you can do to help them.

Mine is to drill hardcore truths into their heads and leave shuku okuko bambiala to heal them of their malaise if he will angry

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wikileaks To Expose Obama And Clinton Role In Propping Buhari / Pregnant Zahra Buhari Shows Off Baby Bump (photo) / Breaking News For Atiku And PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.