Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:33 PM

How To Use Google Mapmaker - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Use Google Mapmaker (10969 Views)

How To Use Google Chrome Browser Hidden Anti Virus To Scan Your Laptop +photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Use Google Mapmaker by fratermathy(m): 12:43am On Jul 15, 2016
Did you know that there is a platform called Google Mapmaker where you can actually contribute to Google Maps by adding missing roads, streets, schools, towns, cities, etc.? Most times we access Google Maps and complain that the map is inefficient or incomplete. Well, say no more! I bring to you, the easy to use Google Map Maker. The mapmaker is easily accessed via http://google.com/mapmaker while google maps itself can be accessed via http://maps.google.com or http://google.com/maps or by downloading the app on android/iOS.

With the map maker, you can:

1. Edit the names of roads, streets, towns, communities, etc that are not well spelt
2. Add missing roads, streets, areas, landmarks, etc that are not present
3. Review the edits of others and okay them
4. Earn trust on Google and stand a chance to win any prize if the opportunity comes up
5. Add pictures to Google street view and enhance the map
6. Add businesses and shops to the map (good for advertising products)
7. Add street numbers, house numbers, etc

To use Google maps, you must have a Google account. The site is fairly easy to use and master. Once you login into the mapmaker, just add a neighbourhood (a place you know extremely well) and you'll see the recent edits/additions in that place. Do well to confirm the edits of others that you are sure of and you can also make yours.

Let us come together and build a perfect map that can be integrated into any GPS accurately. As it is now, the Nigerian map on Google is just about 40-50% complete. If we start to partake actively, we can make it better.

If you've made any edit that you want others to confirm, you can paste the edit link here and I'm sure those who are familiar with the place can click the link and confirm the changes.

My main neighbourhoods are Warri, Abraka, Okpara-Inland, Uyo, Calabar, Lagos, Benin, Asaba, Sapele, Ilorin, Omu-Aran, and some other areas. Although I'll add more as I go on.

Are you already a Google mapmaker? Tell us more about your experiences and neighbourhoods cool

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by Asokoro2(m): 12:50am On Jul 15, 2016
Ok
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by fratermathy(m): 12:50am On Jul 15, 2016
Screenshot of the mapmaker

Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by fratermathy(m): 11:22am On Jul 15, 2016
Asokoro2:
Ok

Have you used it before?
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by Boldwinner(m): 12:04pm On Jul 15, 2016
Google is really building a very strong and big database. Google has a database for all the languages and now they're working on getting very accurate maps. Don't be surprised about how powerful the internet will soon become in a very short time.. all in the hands of Google.

The one who has control over online information has so much power in this our era.

4 Likes

Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by TheRealAdonye(m): 12:04pm On Jul 15, 2016
I learnt how to do this in 2013.

Google made us work around Akure putting up Landmarks for them.

1 Like

Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by maxwelloweezy(m): 12:05pm On Jul 15, 2016
Nice
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by lonelydora: 12:07pm On Jul 15, 2016
Which one bi this again?
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by Saryea83: 12:07pm On Jul 15, 2016
Was fantastic! Used it to prepare Base map for geologic map in order to get the streams, rivers, or just the features of the area
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jul 15, 2016
Boldwinner:
Google is really building a very strong and big database. Google has a database for all the languages and now they're working on getting very accurate maps. Don't be surprised about how powerful the internet will soon become in a very short time.. all in the hands of Google.

The one who has control over online information has so much power in this our era.
who ask you all this , what have you contributed to the map

1 Like

Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by okoi001(m): 12:09pm On Jul 15, 2016
Thanks for the info OP
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by okhiai1(m): 12:10pm On Jul 15, 2016
Will google pay me for all this whala way i wan help them do
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by satelliteDISH(m): 12:19pm On Jul 15, 2016
okhiai1:

Na TRUE talk U talk so. How will I profit from it coz I will be taking taxi from one place to another.
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by perojelly: 12:29pm On Jul 15, 2016
Innovative from Google again
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by MrCow(m): 12:33pm On Jul 15, 2016
lolz
Google better pay Me cos @ the end they benefit more

what's the incentive
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by Bondesniger(m): 12:33pm On Jul 15, 2016
yes thats correct i was looking for this area sometimes last year could not get it

now i will add it to this mapmaker
it is a nice place to see
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by cirmuell(m): 12:49pm On Jul 15, 2016
Hmm...just what I needed. I'm going to use this to my own advantage, thanks for sharing OP.
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by DisGuy: 12:57pm On Jul 15, 2016
very useful reference maker

added so many places when i was on holiday esp badagry area and outer lagos
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by HoldenCaulfield(m): 12:59pm On Jul 15, 2016
Save me from this tech companies wahala. I translated thousands of english words to hausa in facebook and ended up with nothing.
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by Sarjoh: 1:08pm On Jul 15, 2016
fratermathy:
Did you know that there is a platform called Google Mapmaker where you can actually contribute to Google Maps by adding missing roads, streets, schools, towns, cities, etc.? Most times we access Google Maps and complain that the map is inefficient or incomplete. Well, say no more! I bring to you, the easy to use Google Map Maker. The mapmaker is easily accessed via http://google.com/mapmaker while google maps itself can be accessed via http://maps.google.com or http://google.com/maps or by downloading the app on android/iOS.

With the map maker, you can:

1. Edit the names of roads, streets, towns, communities, etc that are not well spelt
2. Add missing roads, streets, areas, landmarks, etc that are not present
3. Review the edits of others and okay them
4. Earn trust on Google and stand a chance to win any prize if the opportunity comes up
5. Add pictures to Google street view and enhance the map
6. Add businesses and shops to the map (good for advertising products)
7. Add street numbers, house numbers, etc

To use Google maps, you must have a Google account. The site is fairly easy to use and master. Once you login into the mapmaker, just add a neighbourhood (a place you know extremely well) and you'll see the recent edits/additions in that place. Do well to confirm the edits of others that you are sure of and you can also make yours.

Let us come together and build a perfect map that can be integrated into any GPS accurately. As it is now, the Nigerian map on Google is just about 40-50% complete. If we start to partake actively, we can make it better.

If you've made any edit that you want others to confirm, you can paste the edit link here and I'm sure those who are familiar with the place can click the link and confirm the changes.

My main neighbourhoods are Warri, Abraka, Okpara-Inland, Uyo, Calabar, Lagos, Benin, Asaba, Sapele, Ilorin, Omu-Aran, and some other areas. Although I'll add more as I go on.

Are you already a Google mapmaker? Tell us more about your experiences and neighbourhoods cool
pls are you GIS inclined?
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by rabzy01: 1:19pm On Jul 15, 2016
Thank you OP.

I have been thinking on how to edit goole maps in order to correct some mistakes I noticed. With the information you provided, I can now go ahead with my edit. grin
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by fratermathy(m): 1:19pm On Jul 15, 2016
Sarjoh:
pls are you GIS inclined?

No. I am just an enthusiast.
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by okhiai1(m): 1:20pm On Jul 15, 2016
satelliteDISH:

Na TRUE talk U talk so. How will I profit from it coz I will be taking taxi from one place to another.
for example where i they stay for ibadan google no know am even though the place necessary and to waka my area bro na die (thats if na main road oooo ) talk less the real area asin conner conner short cut and co to cover am ehnn boys go hear am (ontop my mb) again so if google wan cover ib as long as say money dey involved no shii we go do the waka
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by fratermathy(m): 1:30pm On Jul 15, 2016
HoldenCaulfield:
Save me from this tech companies wahala. I translated thousands of english words to hausa in facebook and ended up with nothing.
MrCow:
lolz
Google better pay Me cos @ the end they benefit more
what's the incentive
okhiai1:

Lol. It is a charity work. Think of it that way. Plus you are also helping to improve Nigeria on the internet.

However, there are some perks that may come from it other than self-satisfaction.

1. You can be selected for one of these numerous Google scholarships or programmes in Nigeria and beyond.
2. If you are found to be consistent, you can write a proposal to Google containing a big project of map building and street view in your area and if the proposal is accepted, you will be paid for the duration of the project (you don hammer be that o), you will be given a Google $1000+ plus 360 degree camera.
3. You can be employed by Google if they see your worth
4. Google can pick you for any Nigerian project whatsoever since you are trusted

Other benefits abound.
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by okhiai1(m): 1:36pm On Jul 15, 2016
fratermathy:

Lol. It is a charity work. Think of it that way. Plus you are also helping to improve Nigeria on the internet.

However, there are some perks that may come from it other than self-satisfaction.

1. You can be selected for one of these numerous Google scholarships or programmes in Nigeria and beyond.
2. If you are found to be consistent, you can write a proposal to Google containing a big project of map building and street view in your area and if the proposal is accepted, you will be paid for the duration of the project (you don hammer be that o), you will be given a Google $1000+ plus 360 degree camera.
3. You can be employed by Google if they see your worth
4. Google can pick you for any Nigerian project whatsoever since you are trusted

Other benefits abound.
haaaaaaaaaa bro if na that 1 no shiii place plenty die way no dey map village too way go enter street view go plenty all does old street view for ib go need changes no shii google don see another employee be that na go start next week when i buy new phone make God just provide give boys
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by okhiai1(m): 1:43pm On Jul 15, 2016
lavita2 babe na you get watin you put for your dp so
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by professore(m): 2:16pm On Jul 15, 2016
This is not bad
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by Viktor1983(m): 2:35pm On Jul 15, 2016
fratermathy I contribute to Google maps, Named a couple of roads and places in Onitsha (Ziks Mausoleum et al) , idemili LGA of Anambra state and the FCT.
it's not a paid affair, I just love doing it, I know someday some tech savvy person would want to use maps, and it feels good knowing that I might have contributed in some way.
There are perks though, Google sends me their apps that are not yet out for the public to test and enjoy.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by rodeo0070(m): 3:14pm On Jul 15, 2016
This is really cool. Thumbs up@ OP!
If you need more info on Geo spatial computing (i.e. how location intelligence can be used in business…).
Feel free to send me a PM or contact me via my Whatsapp number: 08053168031 or infopamrais@gmail.com
Location intelligence uses the locational component of business data to improve understanding of markets, customers, and business processes.
Organizations throughout the world use location analytics to make better decisions and gain a competitive advantage.

*Learn how to apply location analytics in retail, finance, insurance, marketing, real estate, security and other industries.
*Learn how to Geo-code, Reverse Geo-code and Geo-fence locations (Virtual perimeter)
*Learn how location information can help business professionals question, analyse, interpret, and visualize data, enabling more informed
decisions.
*Learn to apply geospatial technology to business functions, including market planning, site analysis, marketing, and supply chain and RISK MANAGEMENT.
*Explore case studies that demonstrate how location information can be applied to KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS.
*Learn how spatial analysis helps organizations decrease costs, increase revenue, and reduce risk.
Audience:
*Anyone interested in applications of geospatial technologies in business (retail, finance, insurance, marketing, real estate, security & other industries)
*Current Business school students and recent graduates (Masters, B.Sc and MBA)
*Business Students, Business Professionals, GIS Professionals, Thrill Seekers

Once again, well done! @fratermathy

Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by Raypawer(m): 3:22pm On Jul 15, 2016
must we always work for the whites? and this one for free, mtchew, no matter how you preach this, google or any other foreign coy cannot get the complete map of nigeria, not until our local software coy does that!

it must not always be a foreign coy!
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by Raypawer(m): 3:25pm On Jul 15, 2016
if it was a local coy that asked for such service for free, none of you would help, smh, whites using some blacks since 1832
Re: How To Use Google Mapmaker by rodeo0070(m): 3:37pm On Jul 15, 2016
Raypawer:
must we always work for the whites? and this one for free, mtchew, no matter how you preach this, google or any other foreign coy cannot get the complete map of nigeria, not until our local software coy does that!

it must not always be a foreign coy!

Funny enough, Your smartphone does this for them without your knowledge sometimes.
Sure they might not have the complete map on Nigeria but its improved upon on daily basis real time. The address confidence on map in most places in Nigeria has improved a lot compared to what we use to have like 5 years ago. Take a trip on Google Earth timeline platform to confirm this...

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

BIOS Password Zinox INEC Computers / Shopping Websites That Ship / Dell Inspiron 6400 In Good Perfect Condition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.