Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,043 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? - Literature (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? (88176 Views)

Do You Remember Your 2go Username ? / Remember These Facts As You Go Through Life / 17 Childhood Insults You’ll Only Remember If You Were A Lagos Brought Up Ajepako (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by tabontabon: 7:53am On Jul 16, 2016
Madam U NKo, How Old Are You (while Reading Your Recollection Of Most Of The Titles, The First Thought That Came To My Mind Was This Lady Is Old Skool Lapel. Early '70 Model)?
No Insult Meant Pls, I Just Appreciate Taking Us Down Memory Lane!

I Can Boldly Say Anyone Who Had Read Most Of Those Books Cannot Be Less Than 35yrs Of Age.

Ishilove:

Emmm, eskiz sir, how old are you? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by experimentist: 7:55am On Jul 16, 2016
Ishilove:

I know it, but I never read it.
sister please, how can I get 'The Wild Seed' by Octavia E Buttler.. I've looked for it but couldn't find here in Lagos. Mine was stolen away from me long ago.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Dexema(m): 7:57am On Jul 16, 2016
litetias:

We also had The Runaway Bride and No Condition Is Permanent in our collection but please give me a little reminder of the plot of No Condition Is Permanent
no condition is permanent by Eliyi Ekineh really doesn't have a definite plot, the book summarises the life of Opuso ye selema from south south Nigeria, his many journeys with his wife Biddy from the pre-colonial days down to the days of the civil war. I used to describe this book back then as a novel filled with novels, it's a wonderful collection of fictional experiences of my Darling Nigeria. my kids must read these books, with them 25% of the job of parenting is done. trust me.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by sinaj(f): 7:58am On Jul 16, 2016
MidasTouche01:

Have u read Providential Provision

The book about a brilliant boy, he is brilliant but troublesome...
nah

Doesn't evn sound familiar
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by MidasTouche01(m): 8:04am On Jul 16, 2016
sinaj:
nah

Doesn't evn sound familiar

I found the book on the playing ground, it's first pages are even missing...

But it's really interesting, since I lost the book I've been trying so hard to get another one to know avail....

I don't even know the author...
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by experimentist: 8:05am On Jul 16, 2016
naptu2:

3 years old.
bro you get 'The Wild Seed' by Octavia E Buttler?
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Dexema(m): 8:06am On Jul 16, 2016
Samguine:
I've got soft copies of Things Fall Apart and No longer At Ease by Achebe, The Famished Road (Ben Okri) and I'm willing to share. Hard copies of The Passport of Mallam Ilia, The New Man, Toads for Supper, The Concubine... I don't know how that can be shared smiley

I guess this thread can be an avenue where lovers of classics can share with one another.
I will really appreciate it if you can take time out to send me the e-books. Fakoredeoluwasegun@gmail.com
I think these books need to be saved before they go extinct. they may just be the last literary relics of that generation. thanks In advance.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Ghost01(m): 8:11am On Jul 16, 2016
IamOpemipo:
There is this book about Ehana and his gang, dude is alwas gettin in2 fight, he was a bad guy..who remebas the name, the cover of the book is chocolate in color I guess
Ehanna and Friends.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by lyrose(f): 8:19am On Jul 16, 2016
Send me soft copy to lilianego35@gmail.com PLLSSSSSS
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by ICAMETOWIN(m): 8:22am On Jul 16, 2016
God bless you ishilove for creating this thread.growing up in a rural community in the nineties.it was some of the above listed books and more that helped to shape me to the man I am today. the day I discovered my school library, my joy knew no bounds.l will never forget books like. CYPRIAN EKWENSI'S JAGUA NANA,BURNING GRASS,THE PASSPORT OF MALLAM ILLIA,AN AFRICAN NIGHT ENTERTAINMENT, ETC.BEN OKRI'S FLOWERS and SHADOWS (mehn that book)ELECHI AMADI'S GREAT PONDS,CONCUBINE ETC.CHINUA ACHEBE'S THINGS FALL APART,ANTHILLS OF THE SAVANNAH ETC.PETER ABRAHAM'S MINE BOY,TELL FREEDOM. TM ALUKO'S CHIEF THE HONOURABLE MINISTER,NGUGI WA THIONGO'S WEEP NOT CHILD. FRANCIS SALOMEY'S NARROW PATH, FLORA NWAPA'S EFURU and so many others I've forgotten the author's names like THE POOR CHRIST OF BOMBA(about nuns with STDs) A DANCER OF FORTUNE, MY MERCEDES IS BIGGER THAN YOURS, ONE MAN ONE WIFE, ONE MAN ONE MATCHET,GIRLS AT WAR,SUNSET IN BIAFRA,TOADS FOR SUPPER,CHIKE AND THE RIVER, BOTTLED LEOPARD, THE BOY SLAVE, THE RETURN OF THE BOY SLAVE, LONG WALK TO FREEDOM, ON TRIAL FOR MY COUNTRY, THE BEUATYFUL ONES ARE NOT YET BORN,and so many more.then on to the PACESETTER SERIES.DIRECTOR..BLOODBATH AT LOBSTER CLOSE, ON THE ROAD,THE SOUTH AFRICAN AFFAIR,FOR MBATHA AND RABEKA,THE EXTORTIONIST, THE CYCLIST,THE WORSHIPPERS,ANGEL OF DEATH,THE BETRAYER,COUP! ,THE INSTRUMENT,THE SMUGGLERS and so many I don't remember anymore. what happened to the reading culture in NIGERIA?

3 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Reference(m): 8:22am On Jul 16, 2016
Ishilove:

I honestly don't know this one. I'm just seeing this book for the first time

grin Yeah, I know this book from grade school and it absolutely tormented me. I can see the light olive green and black even in my sleep. English literature? Hell no.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Tedassie(m): 8:23am On Jul 16, 2016
*The Bottled Leopard
*Samankwe in the Strange Forest- by Cyprian Ekwensi
*Ifeanyi&Obi
*Chike And the River
*The Drummer Boy
*Mother's Choice
*The Precious Child (plays)
*Echoes of Hard Times (plays)
*Dobia's secret- by Kema Chikwe
*The Go-getter
*The Wedding Photograph- by Segun Dawodu
*Solomon's Certificate
*Wives' Revolt
*The Chained Tomb

phew!..a bunch of others i'm still trying to recall
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by leahcimzil: 8:25am On Jul 16, 2016
Darey00:

at the end she died on the street like a commoner. so painful
and she had a burial befitting a king. JOYS of motherhood indeed
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Emmahunk(m): 8:27am On Jul 16, 2016
Ishilove:

I barely remember this one, but I know it was very interesting

Rather than summarized as mother in law vs daughter in law palaver, I think, "too cold for comfort" one of Pace Setter's most interesting novels was all about Religion taken too far. For instance, where you wife subjects you to long sessions of prayer before you two can make love.

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by sinaj(f): 8:28am On Jul 16, 2016
MidasTouche01:

I found the book on the playing ground, it's first pages are even missing...

But it's really interesting, since I lost the book I've been trying so hard to get another one to know avail....

I don't even know the author...
ah!

U just reminded me of a book m looking for, I dunno the author or the name.

It's very interesting. It's about the civil war tho.

A young sales girl that got pregnant for a white man, but her mistress took care of her, stole her baby nd lied to the white man that the baby belong to her(the mistress) coz she also dated the white man.

The young girl searched for her mistress nd her baby to no avail nd it got worse wen the civil war broke out.

I didn't finish the novel tho nd am still looking for it till today.

Av evn checked google.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Ghost01(m): 8:29am On Jul 16, 2016
sinaj:
u r wrong lol

Many people read it.

Just that I hate the book.

Was expecting it to be a trag-comedy like most African book but no it isnt.

Whenever I remember it, anger nd pain swell up in my heart but thank God its just a novel tho.
The story was tragic but it was more real than most. It aptly describes what obtains in our society, even till date.

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by MidasTouche01(m): 8:29am On Jul 16, 2016
sinaj:
ah!

U just reminded me of a book m looking for, I dunno the author or the name.

It's very interesting. It's about the civil war tho.

A young sales girl that got pregnant for a white man, but her mistress took care of her, stole her baby nd lied to the white man that the baby belong to her(the mistress) coz she also dated the white man.

The young girl searched for her mistress nd her baby to no avail nd it got worse wen the civil war broke out.

I didn't finish the novel tho nd am still looking for it till today.

Av evn checked google.

What's the name?
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by duduade: 8:29am On Jul 16, 2016
Dexema:

I will really appreciate it if you can take time out to send me the e-books. Fakoredeoluwasegun@gmail.com
I think these books need to be saved before they go extinct. they may just be the last literary relics of that generation. thanks In advance.
please do also forward to sky@gmail.com when you get yours... Please
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by leahcimzil: 8:30am On Jul 16, 2016
Bluezy13:
I can bet on it that only very few people read that book "The Joys of Motherhood"
stop feeling special, it was a compulsiry literature text for literature students one time

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by kingawo(m): 8:30am On Jul 16, 2016
hav u read "like father like son" dat in my primary school days
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by sinaj(f): 8:31am On Jul 16, 2016
MidasTouche01:

What's the name?
I dunno the name or the author.

I picked it up too, I evn started frm page 12 or so lol
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by sinaj(f): 8:32am On Jul 16, 2016
leahcimzil:

stop feeling special, it was a compulsiry literature text for literature students one time
lol I told him that too.

It was a literature book

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by sinaj(f): 8:33am On Jul 16, 2016
duduade:
please do also forward to ladunsky@gmail.com when you get yours... Please
sinajchinda@gmail.com when you get yours too plssssssss tongue

Thanks in adv. Lol
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by leahcimzil: 8:34am On Jul 16, 2016
Bluette:
Violence by Festus Iyayi

The English magazine: "I have never read anything which touches the raw flesh of abject poverty and cruel exploitation so continuously, yet ones final impression is of courage, spirit, loyalty and indomitable love and humanity... A tremendously powerful novel. "

Idemudia, Adisa...

I av read ds book countless tyms
thank you ma for this....scrolled way too down for this book. Damn this book was the complete package
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by duduade: 8:34am On Jul 16, 2016
sinaj:

Thanks in adv. Lol
Lol. No wwaahhhaaaalllaaaa When I get them
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by MidasTouche01(m): 8:35am On Jul 16, 2016
sinaj:
I dunno the name or the author.

I picked it up too, I evn started frm page 12 or so lol

Eeya, u searched Google with the plot abi?
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by duduade: 8:36am On Jul 16, 2016
Longman6:
well I do more of autobiography,I have softcopies of a mouth sweater than salt(toyin falola),sun set at dawn,(soyinka),some achebes collections,and when it come to novels I have the secret lifes of baba segis wife,I do not come to you by chance,oil on water by hellon habila,the thing around your neck,white witch,and some others,but I need ben okris book...that guy got me thinking when I read famished road..in the beginning there was a river
Please do send the ecopies to nsky@gmail.com
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by MidasTouche01(m): 8:37am On Jul 16, 2016
sinaj:

Thanks in adv. Lol

Do forward to midastouche01@gmail.com when u get urs too....

grin
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Longman6(m): 8:40am On Jul 16, 2016
I think any of ben okris book would do you some good,guys..that man is good.Anyone tried reading sefiata??.but Nigerian books are so expensive except the pirated copies
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 16, 2016
CoCoLav:
Echoes of Hard Times

Jagua Nana's Daughter
Kindly give me a brief summary of Echoes of Hard Times. I think I've read it but can't remember the story
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by sinaj(f): 8:42am On Jul 16, 2016
MidasTouche01:

Eeya, u searched Google with the plot abi?
yea.

And evn used some words from the book I can remember hoping google will bring out related things lol

Dat book really left me in suspense.
Days after I read it, I would picture how it was going to end lol.

I think it's a 300 pages book nd I stopped at 180 or so.

Coz it was divided. I read just the 1st half

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (21) (Reply)

Black Maria 5 - Retribution (The Final Book) / Three Paths / Lethal Matrimony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.