Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:56 PM

Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? - Literature (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? (88172 Views)

Do You Remember Your 2go Username ? / Remember These Facts As You Go Through Life / 17 Childhood Insults You’ll Only Remember If You Were A Lagos Brought Up Ajepako (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by leahcimzil: 8:43am On Jul 16, 2016
sinaj:
lol I told him that too.

It was a literature book
Did yu read this book that had a picture of a gun as it's covers page?...Arms something...cant really remember the plot, but it was about a war torn country
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Temmytea70(m): 8:43am On Jul 16, 2016
Explorers:
At all, except these...

I really need that "ogboju ode ninu igbo irunmole "
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by sinaj(f): 8:47am On Jul 16, 2016
leahcimzil:

Did yu read this book that had a picture of a gun as it's covers page?...Arms something...cant really remember the plot, but it was about a war torn country
um... nah.

Cnt remember tho.

I read books and forget the name.

Perhaps if u can say something that happened in the book to jingle my memory, I will remember
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by dakerabbi: 8:51am On Jul 16, 2016
niceprof:
It was an interesting read,because as a student of the Government College Umuahia then,which was the setting of the book,i could relate with everything written therein.From Bottled leopard to Arrow of god to Forest of flowers(Ken saro-wiwa) to The Concubine,all were written by our old boys.

Proudly Umuahian. Our will to shine as one.

as all of us are black or white beseech thee now us to unite that all may seek this gift thy light. Thy will to shine as one. Missed this anthem. Shine on great umuahian
Temmytea70:

Temmytea70:

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by sinaj(f): 8:52am On Jul 16, 2016
MidasTouche01:

Do forward to midastouche01@gmail.com when u get urs too....

grin
lwkmd grin

The chain is getting long o!

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by SANCHEZH1(m): 8:53am On Jul 16, 2016
sinaj:
sinajchinda@gmail.com when you get yours too plssssssss tongue

Thanks in adv. Lol
pls sir , mine is habeeb.fasasi@gmail.com
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by ayobami52(m): 8:56am On Jul 16, 2016
Am not a lover of literature but I can't forget books like incorruptible judge, Over a split Milk, The beautiful ones are not yet born, and my Yoruba literature like, Igbo olodumare,ireke onibudo,edun ara,tani odaran..They are epic.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by shumax: 9:01am On Jul 16, 2016
Ishilove:

I love this one. I read it uncountable times. Onwubiko is God's Big Toe who must never be stepped on! What a punk grin
funny enuf I remembered the book a few days ago and was wondering where I cud get it to read again
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by shumax: 9:02am On Jul 16, 2016
naptu2:
The Drummer Boy by Cyprian Ekwensi.

I owned a copy of this book and I saw Kokoro everyday in traffic, yet it didn't occur to me that the book was about him (until just before his death).

Another fave of mine have read it a million times after jss days in the mid 90's

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by sinaj(f): 9:04am On Jul 16, 2016
SANCHEZH1:
pls sir , mine is habeeb.fasasi@gmail.com
ok ma smiley
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by eye2sabi(m): 9:05am On Jul 16, 2016
DabFrankNG:
That game was Shanshi. The lady later died miserably. He saw the big guy serving food in the train much later and pushed him to death.
You're very correct bro. Twas a really story sha
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by sinaj(f): 9:12am On Jul 16, 2016
duduade:
Lol. No wwaahhhaaaalllaaaa When I get them
owk thanks smiley
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by duduade: 9:15am On Jul 16, 2016
There was thia novel I read back then... Still trying to remember the title..

The plot involved a young man married to a woman but they couldn't have a child. Then he was invited to visit home and taken to visit an herbalist... At the place of the herbalist he was made to understand that until he gets married to another wife before the First wife conceive. Although he wasn't interested his mother and wife persuaded him.. The mother introduced one village girl to him and he got married to her. She was loved by the first wife..

She got pregnant and the first wife followed suit... I guess she gave birth to a girl and the first wife gave birth to a boy... The seed of jealousy started to rear its head in her heart and na so the second wife start o..

She poisoned the first wife when she couldn't help it again... Then she also Tried to kill the son.. Stopped his education.. Try to turn the father against the son... As the plot thickened she accidentally killed her three children at different points when she planned to kill the son.. and eventually ran mad..
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by obiak4(m): 9:18am On Jul 16, 2016
tabontabon:
Madam U NKo, How Old Are You (while Reading Your Recollection Of Most Of The Titles, The First Thought That Came To My Mind Was This Lady Is Old Skool Lapel. Early '70 Model)?
No Insult Meant Pls, I Just Appreciate Taking Us Down Memory Lane!

I Can Boldly Say Anyone Who Had Read Most Of Those Books Cannot Be Less Than 35yrs Of Age.

Wrong Brov am 20++ and have read some of the books but i dey go 30 sha
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by ICAMETOWIN(m): 9:26am On Jul 16, 2016
Longman6:
I think any of ben okris book would do you some good,guys..that man is good.Anyone tried reading sefiata??.but Nigerian books are so expensive except the pirated copies
Read Ben okri's flowers and shadows in my teens and fell in love with his work.The guy is seriously good, it wasn't for nothing that he won the Booker prize.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by harmonychris(f): 9:30am On Jul 16, 2016
I have it here in Enugu,but I have lost the cover page.although mallam illia later died but he had a son with that school teacher he met at mecca.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Aida13: 9:32am On Jul 16, 2016
Ishilove:

I honestly don't know this one. I'm just seeing this book for the first time

Omgg this book changed my life... I loved the hero's name Assad... I became a writer basically off this.. It was really good at least for my girly tastes then

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Bluette(f): 9:33am On Jul 16, 2016
Dexema:
God bless you!! I have been trying to remember the name of this book for close to 12 years now. hope it's available online.

Amen ijn. Wow.. I don't know about that, I hve the book it self(hard copy) so I am not sure if its online or not. U can google it though.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by obiak4(m): 9:35am On Jul 16, 2016
Most Of Those Books can be brought in lagos Yes lagos CMS bookshop hope it still in dey there or under CMS bridge hope Minister of darkness did not kia that PLACE oooo before living office na joke ooo am not A politician oo
But truly u can get most of the books hard copy there anybook wey no dey there no dey in print again collections of old books can always be found there

Thats where we use to teach our lectural smartness when they decide to use old school textbook we to decide to go to CMS to scout and trust me we obviously did't fail to impress them
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Bluette(f): 9:37am On Jul 16, 2016
leahcimzil:

thank you ma for this....scrolled way too down for this book. Damn this book was the complete package

grin yes its a complete package. U wlc.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by harmonychris(f): 9:38am On Jul 16, 2016
Bluezy13:
I can bet on it that only very few people read that book "The Joys of Motherhood"

Opps I was born 1992 but apparently I have read almost all DE books including the joys of motherhood all abt Nnuego,Nnaife,oshiaju,their twins Kehind&Taiwo etc that's a very interesting book by Buchi
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Ishilove: 9:38am On Jul 16, 2016
experimentist:
sister please, how can I get 'The Wild Seed' by Octavia E Buttler.. I've looked for it but couldn't find here in Lagos. Mine was stolen away from me long ago.
Stealing books were part of secondary school life. smiley

There's a dearth of affordable literature books my dear. I do know there are some places at Ojuelegba where they sell old Pacesetters but I don't know if they are still there

2 Likes

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by experimentist: 9:41am On Jul 16, 2016
Ishilove:

Stealing books were part of secondary school life. smiley

There's a dearth of affordable literature books my dear. I do know there are some places at Ojuelegba where they sell old Pacesetters but I don't know if they are still there
seriously! I checked it upandan CMS bookshop but to no avail. Ima try Ojuelegba though. Thnx.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by BraniacX(m): 9:41am On Jul 16, 2016
2prexios:

Moreton feelings back again, nostalgic!

To the extent that my brother named a goat gagoo because of its wickedness,

and my cousins who couldn't hold the term as it is turned that same name to aguga.

Lol gagool the scraggly pseudo-immortal cheesy I had dreams about finding my own stash of forgotten diamonds back then too
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Ishilove: 9:41am On Jul 16, 2016
Emmahunk:

Rather than summarized as mother in law vs daughter in law palaver, I think, "too cold for comfort" one of Pace Setter's most interesting novels was all about Religion taken too far. For instance, where you wife subjects you to long sessions of prayer before you two can make love.
Oh really? I was very young when I read it so I can't recollect the plot. The only thing I remember is it was very interesting

1 Like

Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by harmonychris(f): 9:45am On Jul 16, 2016
Samguine:
I got deliveries just last week of The Concubine by Elechi Amadi, Toads for Super by Chukwuemeka Ike, The New Man by Femi Ademiluyi and The Passport of Mallam Ilia which I just finished about an hour ago. Currently reading the Famished Road by Ben Okri. Any one that has other classics, please let me know if we can exchange. wink
Do u remember DIZZY ANGEL
SUCH IS LIFE
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by junnyjake(m): 9:47am On Jul 16, 2016
litetias:

Was it the one that he dived and found some wooden head artwork?
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Longman6(m): 9:47am On Jul 16, 2016
ICAMETOWIN:
Read Ben okri's flowers and shadows in my teens and fell in love with his work.The guy is seriously good, it wasn't for nothing that he won the Booker prize.
I agree with you on that,I went to a bookstore in ibadan last month and I was spoilt of choice,I was almost reading it on the spot..the guy is so mystical yet simple,have u read the famished road..It looks new everytime I read it
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Ishilove: 9:48am On Jul 16, 2016
Reference:

grin Yeah, I know this book from grade school and it absolutely tormented me. I can see the light olive green and black even in my sleep. English literature? Hell no.
Then you don't know what you're missing. I'm also guilty, though. I haven't read a book in eons and I've been struggling to finish one, 'Hullabaloo in the Guava Orchard' since February 2015 grin

Back then I could read 3 complete novels in a week, but now, I can't even finish one in a year sad
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Dexema(m): 9:48am On Jul 16, 2016
I just took my time to copy a man of the people from the link someone dropped here.
anyone interested drop ur mail addy, let me send you the Doc. format.
Re: Nairalanders, How Many Of You Remember These Timeless African Classics? by Longman6(m): 9:50am On Jul 16, 2016
duduade:
Please do send the ecopies to ladunsky@gmail.com
Have sent it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (21) (Reply)

Black Maria 5 - Retribution (The Final Book) / Three Paths / Lethal Matrimony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.