Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,301 members, 7,954,197 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:03 PM

Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? (6515 Views)

7 Most Dangerous Roads To Travel In Nigeria( SEE PHOTOS) / Info For All Those Who Want To Travel To Vietnam To Buy Clothes/shoes Etc / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by Udode(f): 10:43am On Sep 14, 2009
Hi Everyone

I have really been looking forward to go to nigeria on christmas and to enjoy my stay in the village of my husband.
But lately he is not so sure if he should take me along agian, since there has been a lot of kidnapping and he does not want to risk anything.
I am really upset and I would be very sad if I couldnt go to enjoy chirstmas in nigeria just because of some crazy kidnappers.

What do you think, is it really too dangerous for a white woman to go to anambra state (flying to port harcourt) these days or do you think that what we hear over here in europe is exagerated?

Thank you for your reply, I am curious to see what you say,
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by justwise(m): 10:53am On Sep 14, 2009
Udode:

Hi Everyone
I have really been looking forward to go to nigeria on christmas and to enjoy my stay in the village of my husband.
But lately he is not so sure if he should take me along agian, since there has been a lot of kidnapping and he does not want to risk anything.
I am really upset and I would be very sad if I couldnt go to enjoy chirstmas in nigeria just because of some crazy kidnappers.
What do you think, is it really too dangerous for a white woman to go to anambra state (flying to port harcourt) these days or do you think that what we hear over here in europe is exagerated?
Thank you for your reply, I am curious to see what you say,

Ur husband is right, i can understand how u feel but he is concerned. The kidnapping thing is real, but u can still enjoy ur stay with careful planing
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by kood: 12:31pm On Sep 14, 2009
Anambra state is not a dangerous state to be. You are free to go with your husband to Nigeria expect for other reason he do not want you to visit. But as regard to kidnapping, you would not be kidnap by any person. Eastern Nigeria is a peaceful region. there are many other people from other parts of the world that have visited this region with their husband or wife. It is only in the Nigerdelta region that you have this problem even there it is not too risk as always broadcast on TVs or read on newspapers. Because there are still white people in Nigerdelta that works in most oil companies there and it is only a hand few of this people that are being kidnap.
There are only some few rubbery attacks in different part of Nigeria which I think if your husband is careful that will not happen to both of you.
So you should feel free to go to Nigeria with your husband and I bet you, you will enjoy your visit there. You will experience different culture.
I wish you good luck!
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by Udode(f): 2:06pm On Sep 14, 2009
I have been to nigeria this spring (march) and I really loved it. But i have to say that the uncle of my husband had been kidnapped that time and only got released after they payed a big amount of money. So i know that kidnapping is there. And I have to admit that it was not much fun being afraid all the time.

I am just angry because i think that these kidnapping issues will not have an end soon, which means that i will not be able to travel to nigeria?!? NO iw ill def. not accept that,

I know i have to be careful (i hardly went out on the streets this summer and i was always accompanied by several people. But these people are telling my husband that things have got worse, which makes him and myself very unsure!
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by justwise(m): 2:30pm On Sep 14, 2009
kood:

Anambra state is not a dangerous state to be. You are free to go with your husband to Nigeria expect for other reason he do not want you to visit. But as regard to kidnapping, you would not be kidnap by any person. Eastern Nigeria is a peaceful region. there are many other people from other parts of the world that have visited this region with their husband or wife. It is only in the Nigerdelta region that you have this problem even there it is not too risk as always broadcast on TVs or read on newspapers. Because there are still white people in Nigerdelta that works in most oil companies there and it is only a hand few of this people that are being kidnap.
There are only some few rubbery attacks in different part of Nigeria which I think if your husband is careful that will not happen to both of you.
So you should feel free to go to Nigeria with your husband and I bet you, you will enjoy your visit there. You will experience different culture.
I wish you good luck!
Are u kidding me? This is somebody's life we are talking about here. Do u know how those white in Niger-delta go about their businesses? Do u know how many security personels that go around with them? How can u say that its only hand few of pple? YES we all lov Nigeria but lets be honest here, things are pretty bad, one need to be careful how we go about selling Nigeria
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by K2: 3:32pm On Sep 14, 2009
Udode:

I have been to nigeria this spring (march) and I really loved it. But i have to say that the uncle of my husband had been kidnapped that time and only got released after they payed a big amount of money. So i know that kidnapping is there. And I have to admit that it was not much fun being afraid all the time.

I am just angry because i think that these kidnapping issues will not have an end soon, which means that i will not be able to travel to nigeria?!? NO iw ill def. not accept that,

I know i have to be careful (i hardly went out on the streets this summer and i was always accompanied by several people. But these people are telling my husband that things have got worse, which makes him and myself very unsure!
Women of other culture married to Nigerians and wanting to be a part of their culture like you are a rarity. As much as it'd be much fun to go to the village with your husband during Xmas, I'd suggest that you take your husband's advice. It's just too dangerous. Flying into PH also doesn't help matters. Anambra also has been witnessing increase in armed robberies and kidnapping as well. It's possible you'd be a conspicuos target. Why don't you suggest to your husband you guys spend it in another part of Naija or go somewhere else? Also, I wouldn't trust the scenario whereby the husband would spend Xmas by himself in the village. Village girls aplenty would have other plans and also other girls returing from the big city.
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by justwise(m): 3:51pm On Sep 14, 2009
K2:

Women of other culture married to Nigerians and wanting to be a part of their culture like you are a rarity. As much as it'd be much fun to go to the village with your husband during Xmas, I'd suggest that you take your husband's advice. It's just too dangerous. Flying into PH also doesn't help matters. Anambra also has been witnessing increase in armed robberies and kidnapping as well. It's possible you'd be a conspicuos target. Why don't you suggest to your husband you guys spend it in another part of Naija or go somewhere else? Also, I wouldn't trust the scenario whereby the husband would spend Xmas by himself in the village. Village girls aplenty would have other plans and also other girls returing from the big city.

God bless u for saying it as its
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by Udode(f): 4:33pm On Sep 14, 2009
@k2
thanx for your advise, but
i am not going with my husband for controll!!!!!!! i know who i have and even if he goes alone, so what, he has been to naija this summer for 7 weeks without me, that is not the issue, it is just that i want to go too, i love the country and i love the people and i have heard sooo many good things about xmas in nigeria, and yes of course i could stay in lagos throughout, but where is the fun without the family and the palmwine in the village!!!
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by morpheus24: 4:38pm On Sep 14, 2009
K2:

AMEBO! na una dey plant bad thing for Oyinbo mind.
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by K2: 6:23pm On Sep 14, 2009
morpheus24:

AMEBO! na una dey plant bad thing for Oyinbo mind.
Abi that's the kind of person you are? We are talking about marriage here not girl friend runs. We all know what goes on in Xmas  escapades. It's a very common practise unless you are a eunuch or gay. I wouldn't play with a match unless I want to start  some fire.

@Udode. Ok.
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by morpheus24: 6:54pm On Sep 14, 2009
K2:

We all know what goes on in Xmas  escapades.
Matches ko! Fire ni!

How do you know, Abi dem don do you Amebo?

Stop planting bad seed in the girl head.
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by Seun(m): 6:56pm On Sep 14, 2009
It's [url=http://www.google.com.ng/search?q=anambra+kidnap+site%3Anairaland.com]just not worth the risk[/url]. Even Nigerians are not perfectly safe in that area at the moment.
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by morpheus24: 7:01pm On Sep 14, 2009
@ udode
I have been hearing bad stories coming out of the East from friends,though none has had personal experiencies their reports are alarming and I can only take them at face value as to the details.

You go at your own risk, especially during Xmas time. Most of these crimes are not random and done by close associates who monitor your movement I think other times of the year are relatively safer.
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by 3doorsdown: 7:21pm On Sep 14, 2009
The Kidnapping, unfortunately is REAL. But you can also enjoy Christmas in other places like Lagos and Abuja where you dont have this crisis.
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Sep 14, 2009
@ udode

Dont come to Nigeria any time soon. Christmas is on the way and Whites like you are really hot cake for Kidnappers.  Even people close to you might conspire on this. Just my opinion. So stay back fo your own good.
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by mystikal(m): 7:26pm On Sep 14, 2009
stories coming from the east are not very encourarging, but you could have equal fun in Lagos and Abuja like ppl have said here. You could also visit Calabar during the Xmas, the Carnivals and music festivals makes it a place 2 be @ xmas too.
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by totorimi: 7:27pm On Sep 14, 2009
Dear Udode,

My candid advise to you if you love your life and that of your hubby is to keep off from that region for now, some strange beings have invaded the land, people who have found passion in kidnapping, robbing and rituals. For now just take the advise of your hubby for real those criminals have strategised on how to make this years Xmas a nightmare especially for those coming from abroad. And the unfortunate thing is that those bastards who call themselves Chief Security officers of the state are engrossed in next years election than to think of your safety. So my dear keep off a word is enough for the wise. Leave the place for those who harbors them in their midst. Whenever God decides to intervene in our situations we shall know. Once again in your own interest KEEP OFF FROM THAT AREA. You can tell anyone that ones to see you when you arrive to meet you in ABUJA or LAGOS for now. That area is a no go zone.
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by chosen04(f): 7:31pm On Sep 14, 2009
Anambra is safe. But  be careful
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by platinumnk(f): 7:33pm On Sep 14, 2009
I cant belive all this bullsh!t u say about the east!! angry angry angry

If u arent from there shut up! angry

@Topic- Nothing do you. Neyo is from Ananbra State and he came home just fine. I met him. If u mind your own business and keep close to family, you will be fine.

SMH angry
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Sep 14, 2009
[size=14pt]@ udode

You are just to pretty for me to risk your safety in 9ja, if i was your husband.[/size]
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by jkemzy(m): 7:37pm On Sep 14, 2009
Security is a major concern in Nigeria,especially in the south south and south east.As a white woman,you stand the risk of being abducted even from your family house once the perpetrators sence that they can make some money off you. The situation is even worsened by the fact that Anambra state is getting set for the gubernatorial election and it is always associated with a lot of violence. Be wise and listen to your husband as your safety is not guaranteed even if you have to employ the services of body guards. its is as bad as that.
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by playahP(m): 7:38pm On Sep 14, 2009
welcome to Nigeria
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by platinumnk(f): 7:40pm On Sep 14, 2009
[size=18pt]so are u saying ugly ppl should only visit the east angry angry angry

olodo[/size]
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by Uche2nna(m): 7:41pm On Sep 14, 2009
LOL!!!
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by platinumnk(f): 7:41pm On Sep 14, 2009
jkemzy:

Security is a major concern in Nigeria,especially in the south south and south east.As a white woman,you stand the risk of being abducted even from your family house once the perpetrators sence that they can make some money off you. The situation is even worsened by the fact that Anambra state is getting set for the gubernatorial election and it is always associated with a lot of violence. Be wise and listen to your husband as your safety is not guaranteed even if you have to employ the services of body guards. its is as bad as that.

where are u getting ur crap from angry
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by isiegonwa: 7:49pm On Sep 14, 2009
you can end up in abuja,lagos,calabar
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by OvieE: 8:02pm On Sep 14, 2009
I will not advice my own family member to go to Nigeria during Christmas time nor any other time. Going to Nigeria during Christmas time is a suicidal anywhere in the country. That is where arm robbers are commom and take over all Nigeria roads. But going to Anabra is like going to your early grave. If a popular actor can be kidnapped, what makes you left out especially when you are white. Even your husband is putting himself at risk for going there. Anything can happen just because he is foreigner as well. Nigeria is not even safe to Nigerians that live there.

Listen to you husband. That is why God made him the head of the house to make a decision. Good luck.
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by diggler(m): 8:06pm On Sep 14, 2009
Hello Ma,

U can join ur husband in said trip back home if u people take the proper security precautions.
And it is very simple

Kidnappings succeed simply because these guys do their homework well and get enough information.
So to thwart any such attempt, ur husband & urself should be very stingy about information concerning ur trip.

Basically, u guys should sneak in like ghosts and b4 ppl realise u guys r around, u're gone.
Also u might want to be redo ur sleeping arrangements.

However, if u r not up to playing such cat & mouse game, then i'd advise y'all to stay back and lets hope the situation improves.
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by morpheus24: 8:12pm On Sep 14, 2009
OvieE:

I will not advice my own family member to go to Nigeria during Christmas time nor any other time. Going to Nigeria during Christmas time is a suicidal anywhere in the country. That is where arm robbers are commom and take over all Nigeria roads. But going to Anabra is like going to your early grave. If a popular actor can be kidnapped, what makes you left out especially when you are white. Even your husband is putting himself at risk for going there. Anything can happen just because he is foreigner as well. Nigeria is not even safe to Nigerians that live there.

Listen to you husband. That is why God made him the head of the house to make a decision. Good luck.

Thats too much, no be all of Naija bad like that please don't do over kill and scare the lady.
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by semid4lyfe(m): 8:23pm On Sep 14, 2009
Anambra is a big place. I think kidnapping is more rampant in the major cities ( Onitsha, Nnewi, Awka etc) than in the interior villages so I think to a large extent your safety depends on where you'll actually be staying.

IMO, the villages are relatively safer than the cities.
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by nwachi2(m): 8:34pm On Sep 14, 2009
Dont come to Nigeria any time soon. Christmas is on the way and Whites like you are really hot cake for Kidnappers. Even people close to you might conspire on this. Just my opinion. So stay back fo your own go
Re: Is It Too Dangerous To Travel To The East? by OvieE: 8:38pm On Sep 14, 2009
nwachi2:

Dont come to Nigeria any time soon. Christmas is on the way and Whites like you are really hot cake for Kidnappers. Even people close to you might conspire on this. Just my opinion. So stay back fo your own go

Listen to the warning. Christmas time is not a joke in Nigeria. I used to live there. If you value your life, stay where you are.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Why Does It Cost So Much To Travel To Nigeria? / Pls Help! How True Is This? / In 1999, Two Men Crossed The Atlantic Ocean In Floating Cars, Spent 119Days(Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.