Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,730 members, 7,820,531 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Pls Help! How True Is This? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pls Help! How True Is This? (6422 Views)

Need Help How To Get To Life Camp In Abuja. / Working In Newzealand... Looks Promising, But How True? / Please Help: How Can I Track My Uk Visa Application - Applicant Status (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help! How True Is This? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Mar 16, 2010
An argument ensued btw two of my friends about hw an overstayer on a visit Visa in Schengen(Italy, Finland, Norway, Poland. . . . .)countries can change thier status to be an Assylum/Refugee. Hw true is this? Is it posible as a Nigerian to claim assylum/Refugee in those Countries especially in Finland? Reasonable/educative response wil be appreciated.
Re: Pls Help! How True Is This? by dancewith: 7:52pm On Mar 16, 2010
And on what grounds would you be claiming asylum? That your country is at war?

If you need to immigrate, look up the legal routes to do so
Re: Pls Help! How True Is This? by easylogic(m): 10:40pm On Mar 16, 2010
There are very few countries that Western countries will be willing to consider asylum, Nigeria is not one of them.Even if you are from the troubled Niger Delta.Unless ofcourse you can prove beyond reasonable doubt that your life is danger.Unfortunately even if it is true,am afraid the reputation of Nigeria has suffered,and most shengen countries are aware of phony asylum requests by Nigerians.

There are a few countries though in the world where asylum is almost guaranteed:

1.North Korea - If you manage to escape the country,your guaranteed asylum in most European countries,though,most North Koreans prefer seeking asylum in S.Korea.
2. Eritrea - This country is run by a dictator who refuses any of his citizens to leave the country.Most UN missions grant asylum to Eritreans.
3.Somalia - Somalians also enjoy asylum privileges.The only problem for them is that they are too poor to afford a plane ticket to Europe.

other countries which might be easier for them to be granted asylum are:

1.Afghanistan
2.Iraq
3.Zimbabwe
4.South Sudan
5.Haiti
6.Burma (Myanmar)
Re: Pls Help! How True Is This? by easylogic(m): 11:03pm On Mar 16, 2010
By the way FGM is grounds for asylum in UK,US and Australia.FGM is female g***** mutilation.If a female can prove his or her tribe practise forced fgm and she is directly in danger of being forcibly circumsised,she might be granted asylum.Though the burden is heavy for such a female.She will also have to prove that her countries justice and police system is unable to protect her from and arrest her aggressors.
Re: Pls Help! How True Is This? by thugpassio: 2:38am On Mar 17, 2010
it is not worth it
Re: Pls Help! How True Is This? by Nobody: 8:10am On Mar 17, 2010
Tanx all 4 ur response. Honestly, one pin- point that instead of b'coming an illegal, he would rather seek/claim assylum instead of playing "hide & sick" game with immigration official/police.
D other said he would nt claim assylum based on the fact that as a 9Gerian, ur claims wil neva b granted & u can neva make gud mon€y, that he would rather work wit fake papers. . . . . . .
Re: Pls Help! How True Is This? by Vicjustice: 12:10pm On Mar 17, 2010
easylogic:

There are very few countries that Western countries will be willing to consider asylum, Nigeria is not one of them.Even if you are from the troubled Niger Delta.Unless ofcourse you can prove beyond reasonable doubt that your life is danger.Unfortunately even if it is true,am afraid the reputation of Nigeria has suffered,and most shengen countries are aware of phony asylum requests by Nigerians.

There are a few countries though in the world where asylum is almost guaranteed:

1.North Korea - If you manage to escape the country,your guaranteed asylum in most European countries,though,most North Koreans prefer seeking asylum in S.Korea.
2. Eritrea - This country is run by a dictator who refuses any of his citizens to leave the country.Most UN missions grant asylum to Eritreans.
3.Somalia - Somalians also enjoy asylum privileges.The only problem for them is that they are too poor to afford a plane ticket to Europe.

other countries which might be easier for them to be granted asylum are:

1.Afghanistan
2.Iraq
3.Zimbabwe
4.South Sudan
5.Haiti
6.Burma (Myanmar)

I disagree with some of your claims, especially about the countries that are considered for asylum. Now, i'm not arguing from opinions, but rather from personal knowledge gained from personal involvements and experience.
   Though, it's under the UN resolution to accept and protect citizens from war torn countries, but that is not the same thing as granting them the Refugee status; the section of this resolution article has a B part which states that those fleeing for their lives should seek asylum in the nearest relatively safe country. But definitely, that is not a country in the Schengen zone.
   There's a big difference between seeking asylum and being granted the Refugee status. I was in Greece during the 9/11 terrorist attacks, before then, people from Afghanistan and other muslim countries used to find it easy to seek asylum in the Schengen countries (even though most of their applications were turned down). But after the 9/11 attacks, most countries (especially Greece and France) do not even accept their applications how much more to grant them the Refugee status, they fear that these Afghans and Iraqis would propagate their deadly cultures and endanger the lives of European citizens.
Re: Pls Help! How True Is This? by suxes2005(m): 3:52pm On Mar 17, 2010
Tamita,

Bro how far?

Last December, I know of some1
who travelled to Germany on visit visa.

(I wasnt told mind you, We went to the airport 2geda dat day)

When my Pastor returned from Germany
on Saturday, he said d guy seeked
Assylum in GERMANY and was given.

Mind you, I dnt know the basis of his
claim ooooooooo. But all is luck sha

SHALOM
Re: Pls Help! How True Is This? by easylogic(m): 10:26pm On Mar 17, 2010
Vicjustice:

I disagree with some of your claims, especially about the countries that are considered for asylum. Now, i'm not arguing from opinions, but rather from personal knowledge gained from personal involvements and experience.
   Though, it's under the UN resolution to accept and protect citizens from war torn countries, but that is not the same thing as granting them the Refugee status; the section of this resolution article has a B part which states that those fleeing for their lives should seek asylum in the nearest relatively safe country and definitely, that is not a country in the Schengen zone.
There's a big difference between seeking asylum and being granted the Refugee status. I was in Greece during the 9/11 terrorist attacks, before then, people from Afghanistan and other muslim countries used to find it easy to seek asylum in the Schengen countries (even though most of their applications were turned down). But after the attacks, most countries (especially Greece and France) do not even accept their applications how much more to grant them the Refugee status, they fear that these Afghans and Iraqi would propagate their deadly cultures and endanger the lives of European citizens.    

Yeah i guess you are right.People from largely muslim countries will have a harder time being granted asylum,simply because of the perceived terrorist risk.
Re: Pls Help! How True Is This? by Nobody: 12:07am On Mar 18, 2010
Plz, are u guyz saying it's nt possible as a nigerian to claim asylum even as xtains in those country?
Does it depend on individual luck? Im a kinda confused nw.
Re: Pls Help! How True Is This? by eddy1977(m): 5:01am On Mar 18, 2010
Hi Tamita

asylum is granted on 6 most reliable grounds
-religion
-sexual orientation
-political affiliation
-war
and 2 more that i just cant remember right this second

but this is the catch: they will ask you how you got the schengen visa if your life was in danger? also how were u able to get a passport ? did u have freedom to move about and apply for these documents or did someone else help u?
they will demand genuine proofs of your claims.

if you ask me;i will just tell you to bite the bullet and marry a woman from the schengen country and do your thing quickly and impregnant her.
at least thats how many of my cameroonian friends do it here in the usa and canada.
Re: Pls Help! How True Is This? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Mar 18, 2010
In my opinion wit reference to this topic, i tink instead of workin wit fake papers, i'll claim asylum.
@Eddy1977
Well said, u just hit d nail on the head. With wat is goin on in 9G rite nw, i guess(wit reasonable proof) one stil have a good chance. Lol. Well, getting married to whitey is stil a beta option,but impregnating one is d real issue within a short tyme. I knw it's gonna b a tough task geting a woman expecially when one is a JJC in such countries where english is their second Language. Do u tink some of this Whitey can be open minded wit blacks? Hmmmmm. . . . . . .
@suxes,
Wats up & hw u doin? Mehn, i think its nt easy lyk u friend claim to be sha. Evrytin depends on individual luck. Lol
Re: Pls Help! How True Is This? by suxes2005(m): 6:46pm On Mar 18, 2010
Tamita,

I'm doin good ooo

Anyways, it not dat easy but d guy's
elder bro is in Germany and he even used
his bro's passport to travel!

It a topic secret but i got to know
when my boss return.

Anyways, with wat is happening
in Jos now, u fit go claim assylum for Germany
and dem go give you. LOL

SHALOM
Re: Pls Help! How True Is This? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Mar 18, 2010
@suxes
Tanx, bt no b me dey go claim asylum oooo! Lol. Im tryin to put mysef togeda to apply to a sch 4 Post Graduate course @least i've HND in A/c's.
Re: Pls Help! How True Is This? by Vicjustice: 9:32pm On Mar 18, 2010
Tamita:

Plz, are u guyz saying it's nt possible as a nigerian to claim asylum even as xtains in those country?
Does it depend on individual luck? Im a kinda confused nw.

suxes2005:

. . .Anyways, with wat is happening
in Jos now, u fit go claim assylum for Germany
and dem go give you
. LOL

SHALOM
  A citizen of any nation is eligible for asylum provided s/he has compelling reasons for it and can prove same beyond reasonable disbelief.
  It might interest you to know that there are lots of American citizens who sought asylum in Canada and Mexico, and also in European countries;  They are mainly service men and women in the U.S military who avoided going to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan: these class of people are automatically qualified for the refugee status under the UN Geneva convention treaty. But hardly would any country grant the refugee status to a fugitive from a developed and democratic country.
  Now, talking about asylum seeking on the ground of religion violence (such as the situation in Nigeria), i regret to tell you that it's not enough ground for asylum. It is one thing when the government of a country persecutes people on the ground of religion, and another thing when some religion hooligans turn violent against people of other faith.
  So, if you're fleeing from a persecuting government and you managed to seek asylum in a democratic country, you stand a good ground to be accepted provided you prove your case and you're not posing any threat. But if you're claiming asylum for reason of hooligans killing gentlemen in Jos, then, be prepared to answer why you didn't relocate to Benin City.

3 Likes

Re: Pls Help! How True Is This? by Nobody: 8:07am On Mar 19, 2010
@VICJUSTICE
Oooops! Another gud response.

(1) (Reply)

Best Airports You Have Been To? / Transportation In Nigeria: A Must-see Picture / FG Yet To Remove 5% VAT In Air Transport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.