Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. (23539 Views)

Is This Exam Questions Or Exam Essay? See Exam Question In Unilorin / U.K Exam Question: "The Advance-Fee Fraud Is Also Known As Nigerian Fraud" / 18 Jambite Palava We Faced in 2016 with Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by evansjeff(m): 6:50pm On Jul 18, 2016
Cherishing:
Even google dey fail me
I tell u, I type am for Google Na nonsense I see
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by evansjeff(m): 6:55pm On Jul 18, 2016
sinaj:
"cite arguments for and against the statement that psychological and educational testing is consistent with a belief in the dignity and worth of the individual human being

Lol dnt mind this Profs. They will set a simple question and use vague words to make it seem tough nd throw u off balance.

He wants to know if you believe psychological and educational testing increase or shapes the worth of an individual.

If you agree, explain why you agreed.

If you disagree, explain.

I think they set something similar to this when awas in year 2 in Psychological testing.

Btw what r u studying in you masters @ evansjeff
Evaluation and Counselling Psychology
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by evansjeff(m): 6:57pm On Jul 18, 2016
jesusjewel1:
To something more simpler In Jesus' Name.
amen o
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by dovetark: 7:01pm On Jul 18, 2016
Oluwalosheleyi:
Its quite simple bro.To write in support of that statement: as humans we believe in dignity,self of worth and pride, and this sense dignity is often determined by our achievements our level of competence,our acceptability in the society,our percieved importance and some other things. Psychological and educational testing provides an avenue for us to appraise ourselves if we are worthy,if we have fulfilled the requirements for "dignity".Furthermore it also gives the society a means of identifying the elite or grade people into classes of failures,average people and successful people thereby reinforcing the notion of dignity and motivating others to attain higher levels socially.
SPEAKING AGAINST: psychological and educational tests are not consistent with the believe in dignity or worth, especially in africa because human dignity entails a lot of ideas/values such as honour,courage,honesty,loyalty,patriotism,etc which cannot be adequately tested with current psychological or educational tests.

Nice

1 Like

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by evansjeff(m): 7:02pm On Jul 18, 2016
19naia:
There are many approaches to the matter but these links are along the lines of professionals in the working field of psychology and education.
So this is more the medical industry approach and some about Employment screening to be sure to test employees for psychology and education. School screening as well included. This approach may carry you through a doctoral level citation sef.

These links show where it is applied and would be very good info for the argument supporting it. Its hard to find arguments against it when it applies to dealing with children who were born with abnormal dispositions psychlogically such as Autism and down syndrome among others.
Psychological testing plays a significant part in understanding their educational needs, potential or receptivity ,and educational testing plays as significant a part in discovering their education limitations and needs.

One link talks about elderly people and testing for Dementia. Definitely a reason to value the testing, but the issue of accuracy was brought up with risk of diagnosing grandma with Dementia even though she still manages a sharp mind at her age.

No science is perfect and so there is always more to research and learn.

I think the argument against it would be more along the lines of people who are born fully intact with no known disabilities. I added more links besides the first two medical oriented ones. It seems the side of argument in favor is far more common than the side against it.

[url][/url]http://www.inova.org/healthcare-services/inova-kellar-center/psychological-services

[url][/url]http://apa.org/science/programs/testing/index.aspx

[url][/url]http://www.techrepublic.com/article/pros-and-cons-of-psychological-testing/

[url][/url]http://www.assessmentpsychology.com/testtopics.htm
" Mini-Mental State Examination & Dementia
Br J Gen Practice 2002; 52: 1002–1003
MMSE for screening elderly dementia patients questioned

Researchers have found that using the Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) to screen elderly people for dementia may not be as accurate as previously thought, raising a question mark over its potential use in primary care.

Nia White and colleagues from the University of Wales in Bangor found that using the MMSE for screening dementia in the elderly gave a false-positive result in 86% of cases."

[url][/url]http://digitalcommons.law.umaryland.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2412&context=mlr
thank you very much
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Oluwalosheleyi(m): 7:03pm On Jul 18, 2016
CONTINUATION:
Lets take some examples to further buttress the claims made above, Educational tests are usually made to test the intellectual and physical abilities of people that is,the cognitive and psychomotor domains but attempts to test the affective domain which encompasses the appreciation of values such as honesty,compassion,etc(which are vital to our belief in dignity) can easily be circumvented by an intelligent person thereby making it useless. Psychological tests on the other hand, do not add to one's dignity in many ways as they are not certificated and there is usually no reward for them, a person who passes a psychological test but lacks the core values admired and in essence not admired by the society may not have enough self worth and would not be dignified in the society.

1 Like

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by evansjeff(m): 7:06pm On Jul 18, 2016
everydayperson:
@OP please tell your friend that he should improve his Research focus especially at Masters level.

This is all about IQ testing and how it has been used to discriminate or profile race and ethnic groups based on a score. just google it bru
bros na me o
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by TS2(m): 7:14pm On Jul 18, 2016
Either your prof dey use you catch cruise or you dey use us catch cruise.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by evansjeff(m): 7:17pm On Jul 18, 2016
Oluwalosheleyi:
CONTINUATION:
Lets take some examples to further buttress the claims made above, Educational tests are usually made to test the intellectual and physical abilities of people that is,the cognitive and psychomotor domains but attempts to test the affective domain which encompasses the appreciation of values such as honesty,compassion,etc(which are vital to our belief in dignity) can easily be circumvented by an intelligent person thereby making it useless. Psychological tests on the other hand, do not add to one's dignity in many ways as they are not certificated and there is usually no reward for them, a person who passes a psychological test but lacks the core values admired and in essence not admired by the society may not have enough self worth and would not be dignified in the society.
I really do appreciate.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by sinaj(f): 7:19pm On Jul 18, 2016
evansjeff:
Evaluation and Counselling Psychology
owk pls do they have Industrial Psych in their masters?
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Oluwalosheleyi(m): 7:21pm On Jul 18, 2016
Dont judge my previous comments harshly o, I am an NCE graduate a attempting masters level question.In addition to what I have written,psychological tests made to test human self worth or dignity can also be easily circumvented by an intelligent person who may not possess the qualities the tests seek to examine.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by evansjeff(m): 7:23pm On Jul 18, 2016
sinaj:
owk pls do they have Industrial Psych in their masters?
they should, just check their website, uniben.waeup.org
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 18, 2016
evansjeff:
bros na me o

Chairman.. no vex joor. I have also seen such questions but Professors like to play on words to see if you have introspection for your research.

The bottom line is that in some societies in the West.. especially USA.. they use IQ scores to profile race and also decide jobs and other social privileges.. there is also a sub-conscious drive by elitist societies to believe that the scores determine social standing in life. it seems so butyou have to consider certain variables like.. Education, Parental Psycho-sociological history, Peer-perception etc
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by adioolayi(m): 7:35pm On Jul 18, 2016
evansjeff:
I'm a masters student of UNIBEN, prof just threw this question at us and since we are starting exams on Wednesday here, it's only logical to suspect it's an exam question. Though I've done some works on it already but I feel I might get some more brilliant elucidations from gurus here, it's not like a question we can just get answers for from any of the numerous voluminous books of the course, it demands application of knowledge. The question is:

"cite arguments for and against the statement that psychological and educational testing is consistent with a belief in the dignity and worth of the individual human being".

Thanks in advance.
Mods please move this to front page so more persons can contribute.
Will you support or against the statement "performance of job seeking individuals in psychometry, verbal, Quantitative and other testing examinations during recruitment processes will justify their expected on the job performance"....state your reasons for your views
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by sweetilicious(f): 7:37pm On Jul 18, 2016
TamedWolf90:

Op em I don't know your the terrain but I think you should firstly determine and understand what the statement """""psychological and educational testing is consistent with a belief in the dignity and worth of the individual human being". Means? Do you

You have to break the statement down....the main issue is Undermining the dignity and worth of the individual human being Then what's and why the psychological and educational testing?

What does the testing aim to determine and clarify If you can get these things then the question is to say if the testing is worth it with reasons that's for and if its futile with reasons that's against....

I know its little but it can show a little road to getting your work done
I like problem solvers like you. Am following

1 Like

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by claremont(m): 7:40pm On Jul 18, 2016
"cite arguments for and against the statement that psychological and educational testing is consistent with a belief in the dignity and worth of the individual human being".

Split into 2 parts;

1. psychological and educational testing is consistent with a belief?
2. dignity and worth of the individual human being?

Google each part separately and narrow down your search to research journals, merge both research findings together and you have your answer.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by evansjeff(m): 7:41pm On Jul 18, 2016
everydayperson:

Chairman.. no vex joor. I have also seen such questions but Professors like to play on words to see if you have introspection for your research.

The bottom line is that in some societies in the West.. especially USA.. they use IQ scores to profile race and also decide jobs and other social privileges.. there is also a sub-conscious drive by elitist societies to believe that the scores determine social standing in life. it seems so butyou have to consider certain variables like.. Education, Parental Psycho-sociological history, Peer-perception etc
thanks a lot
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by TamedWolf90: 7:41pm On Jul 18, 2016
sweetilicious:
I like problem solvers like you. Am following

Thanks, I appreciate...
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by agesron(f): 7:44pm On Jul 18, 2016
TamedWolf90:
I sabi am OP

But I no go tell you......

Lolz, olodo roboto.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by TamedWolf90: 7:45pm On Jul 18, 2016
19naia:
There are many approaches to the matter but these links are along the lines of professionals in the working field of psychology and education.
So this is more the medical industry approach and some about Employment screening to be sure to test employees for psychology and education. School screening as well included. This approach may carry you through a doctoral level citation sef.

These links show where it is applied and would be very good info for the argument supporting it. Its hard to find arguments against it when it applies to dealing with children who were born with abnormal dispositions psychlogically such as Autism and down syndrome among others.
Psychological testing plays a significant part in understanding their educational needs, potential or receptivity ,and educational testing plays as significant a part in discovering their education limitations and needs.

One link talks about elderly people and testing for Dementia. Definitely a reason to value the testing, but the issue of accuracy was brought up with risk of diagnosing grandma with Dementia even though she still manages a sharp mind at her age.

No science is perfect and so there is always more to research and learn.

I think the argument against it would be more along the lines of people who are born fully intact with no known disabilities. I added more links besides the first two medical oriented ones. It seems the side of argument in favor is far more common than the side against it.

[url][/url]http://www.inova.org/healthcare-services/inova-kellar-center/psychological-services

[url][/url]http://apa.org/science/programs/testing/index.aspx

[url][/url]http://www.techrepublic.com/article/pros-and-cons-of-psychological-testing/

[url][/url]http://www.assessmentpsychology.com/testtopics.htm
" Mini-Mental State Examination & Dementia
Br J Gen Practice 2002; 52: 1002–1003
MMSE for screening elderly dementia patients questioned

Researchers have found that using the Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) to screen elderly people for dementia may not be as accurate as previously thought, raising a question mark over its potential use in primary care.

Nia White and colleagues from the University of Wales in Bangor found that using the MMSE for screening dementia in the elderly gave a false-positive result in 86% of cases."

[url][/url]http://digitalcommons.law.umaryland.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2412&context=mlr

I love your contribution...#respek
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by TamedWolf90: 7:48pm On Jul 18, 2016
agesron:

Lolz, olodo roboto.

Smiles, wanted to put a little smile on OP s face to calm his nerves then give the argument a go.... Its not my field but if I face it, bad as e bad, na draw I go get...
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by folahann(m): 7:50pm On Jul 18, 2016
It's a simple question the professor has put in a complex way.
I think he's only asking about the advantages and disadvantages of psychological testing and school examinations in knowing real worth of an individual.

In order words, Is psychological/educational testing the best way to determine a human's worth/dignity?

1 Like

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by amobii: 8:02pm On Jul 18, 2016
evansjeff:
Thanks for your insight.
Try and concentrate on journal articles on same topic or similar, there are scholars round the world that always publish articles but Nigerian are not used to journal, we are only used to text book.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by ojuolu(m): 8:02pm On Jul 18, 2016
Op, it is a good opportunity for research. Please sit down with the question, analyse the question to really determine the scope of your answer, review relevant literatures including online sources, journals of social and management sciences and educational management, formulate hypothesis around the question, look for relevant thesis, antithesis and try to synthesise to arrive at a position that either justify or negate statement of the question. At the end, you would have done intellectual exercise and add to the body of knowledge. Good luck.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by july66: 8:16pm On Jul 18, 2016
evansjeff:
I'm a masters student of UNIBEN, prof just threw this question at us and since we are starting exams on Wednesday here, it's only logical to suspect it's an exam question. Though I've done some works on it already but I feel I might get some more brilliant elucidations from gurus here, it's not like a question we can just get answers for from any of the numerous voluminous books of the course, it demands application of knowledge. The question is:

Thanks in advance.
u wen dey attend the prof lecture no fit answer am, na we go fit? Try mr knowall, google, whether he go fit help otherwise your own do finish. U no even tell us wetin u dey study.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by KENFERDYOORI(m): 8:18pm On Jul 18, 2016
I'd recommend a book "Psychology Made Simple" it'd be of immense help. Remember — that question has a philosophical undertone.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Vello(m): 8:19pm On Jul 18, 2016
evansjeff:

Thanks in advance.
Questions like this always makes my day in exams as applied questions are, to the best of my knowledge, the easiest.
I'm sure the Prof. simply wants a critique of western education. Put in other way, what are the advantages and disadvantages of education...
A word of caution: while you're expected to provide a thesis as well as antithesis, it is expected that you go further by providing a synthesis.
Ask me anything further you want clarification on.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by jesusjewel1(f): 8:37pm On Jul 18, 2016
VickyRotex:

cheesy Amin Jesu o. You writing the exam too?
Noooooooo
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 18, 2016
This an argumentative eassy na
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jul 18, 2016
This an argumentative eassy na Same question my secondary sch teacher set as his exam those days
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by linearity: 8:53pm On Jul 18, 2016
If you remove the big big grammar, you will see that it is very simple and you can aver arguments for and against from everyday life experience...

The question in it's simple form is:

Is one's psychological and educational testing score a true reflection of their dignity and worth?

i.e. if you set a mathematic test for a classroom containing individuals of the same peer group, and by tabulating the results, it is true that, the individuals that 100% have more dignity and worth than e.g. the individuals that scores 80%?

You have to be careful here, because this question have a lot of landmines and the Professors might want to see how you guys artfully maneuver yourselves around the landmines. If you argue that, it is true, then you fall into the stereotypical landmine....because it is not universally true that the individual that scores 100% is more worthy than the individual that scores 80%...but the irony is, in reality the only universally true measure with which we measure people's dignity and worth are through these psychological and educational tests ....Did you see the paradox? On one hand, we all agree that, the fact that you score 100% does not mean you are more worthy than the individual that scores 80%, but in the same breath, we also agree that, the only way to universally test your worthiness is through these tests.

e.g....
The Nigeria Senate is full of highly educated individuals, who have excel in most psychological (aka they are not crazy) and educational (aka they have PhD, Doctorate, etc) test, but if you see how they behave e.g. curse each other out, fighting, climbing fence, chopping money, etc..you can conclude that despite that high psychological and educational test scores, they are not examples of worthy and dignify individuals.

Contrary, the taxi driver that returned hundreds of thousands left in his cab; did not attend school, will fail most of your educational tests, but he is an example of a dignified Nigeria worthy of emulation.

But if you look into the educational system and some exemplary lawyers, you can easily conclude, but stereotypically; that high psychological and educational testing scores equals high dignity and worth.

There are lots of successful scientists, business owners, inventors, Pastors, etc who failed at educational testing but excels in dignity and worthiness...I just looked up the biography of Pastor TB Joshua of SCOAN, the guy only completed primary school and failed to complete even one year in secondary school, but many will agree, if we summise that, he is dignify and worthy.

Savants are another divergent to this theory, they have extra ordinary inert intelligence without formal education, that will make them excel in educational testing scenario and could be dignify/worthy or not.

1 Like

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by eleko1: 9:01pm On Jul 18, 2016
VickyRotex:
Your Professor will see this thread and change the exam question. angry angry undecided
u sabi odu abi undecided undecided sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mathematics Challenge: 50% Will Fail This! / Polytechnic Offa SUG: The Cult Awards In Circulation Are Fake / Inspiring Speech Delivered By Young Nigerian Engineer @ Arkansas University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.