Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,256 members, 7,818,876 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. (23541 Views)

Is This Exam Questions Or Exam Essay? See Exam Question In Unilorin / U.K Exam Question: "The Advance-Fee Fraud Is Also Known As Nigerian Fraud" / 18 Jambite Palava We Faced in 2016 with Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by AlBillal: 9:13pm On Jul 18, 2016
lanreni:
He is indeed a lecturer!! LOL! You can get a Phd with this question!
Now you have to first of all take it one after the other. Examples of educational testing are JAMB, NECO, SSCE and undergraduate/graduate exams. An example of a psychological exam is the IQ test.
The research question is simply saying: If I have a high JAMB score or a first class or i score high IQ tests like Eistein, should that in itself determine my worth of how the society values me? Remember the key word is the BELIEF/VALUE system of such exams. What does these exams actually test and is it all encompassing of all human potential and capabilities. Yes or No, you must back it with references.
If you are of the opinion that it should not be a basis of true value, i think you will have a better arsenal of materials at your disposal. All over the world, people are faulting those kinds of tests and the plethora of those with low IQ and lower degrees who have high values in the society is increasing by the day.
Don't just localize your argument. To argue about corruption and exam malpractice as basis to throw it away will be seen as childish and myopic.It means your work would be meaningless to saner societies where corruption in exams is not an issue.Let me stop here before i will be seen as giving you expo!
if in need of more consultancy or difficulty in downloading some materials when browsing, contact me. Enjoy the free consultancy above. Goodluck OP.

You nailed it..thumbs up
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by yougosee: 9:33pm On Jul 18, 2016
evansjeff:

"cite arguments for [b]and against the statement that psychological and educational testing is consistent with a belief in the dignity and worth of the individual human being".[/b]
The subject of that sentence is:
"dignity and worth of a human being."
What is the best way of judging it, psychological only, educational only or both?
The statement is supporting both.
Your Prof is asking you to give reasons why both instead of one is a better approach.
People say exam is not the true test of knowledge right?
Your Prof wants to test your reasoning, there is no right or wrong answer, for or against. He wants you to convince him, like a Marketer.
Tips:
Someone maybe mentally sound but not psychologically well, so educational testing only is not will not give the true worth of that individual.
Conversely, someone can be psychologically sound but dull up in the brain.

Go read up all what both testing entails and merge them and conclude that the whole is consistent in belief in the dignity and bla bla bla..

PS
Erm..I'll come back to try understand what I wrote up dia!!!
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by agesron(f): 9:49pm On Jul 18, 2016
TamedWolf90:

Smiles, wanted to put a little smile on OP s face to calm his nerves then give the argument a go.... Its not my field but if I face it, bad as e bad, na draw I go get...

Smiles, I understand n I just wanna yab u small.

1 Like

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by olureignforever: 9:54pm On Jul 18, 2016
"cite arguments for and against the statement that psychological and educational testing is consistent with a belief in the dignity and worth of the individual human being".

Start by defining psychological and educational testing. In fact all you know about them

Explain the two terms as its consistent with a belief in the dignity and worth of the individual human being.

Then state the advantage and disadvantages of the two terms as its consistent with.................

This type of question will require you to write all you know about it. Feel free. Write it and be consistent.

Goodluck

Funny enough am that lecturer and I won't be testing it.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by famzynet: 10:14pm On Jul 18, 2016
This question get as im be. The more you think am the more you confuse. Make I sleep. Sorry op. I can't help you with this palaver.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by evansjeff(m): 10:14pm On Jul 18, 2016
linearity:
If you remove the big big grammar, you will see that it is very simple and you can aver arguments for and against from everyday life experience...

The question in it's simple form is:

Is one's psychological and educational testing score a true reflection of their dignity and worth?

i.e. if you set a mathematic test for a classroom containing individuals of the same peer group, and by tabulating the results, it is true that, the individuals that 100% have more dignity and worth than e.g. the individuals that scores 80%?

You have to be careful here, because this question have a lot of landmines and the Professors might want to see how you guys artfully maneuver yourselves around the landmines. If you argue that, it is true, then you fall into the stereotypical landmine....because it is not universally true that the individual that scores 100% is more worthy than the individual that scores 80%...but the irony is, in reality the only universally true measure with which we measure people's dignity and worth are through these psychological and educational tests ....Did you see the paradox? On one hand, we all agree that, the fact that you score 100% does not mean you are more worthy than the individual that scores 80%, but in the same breath, we also agree that, the only way to universally test your worthiness is through these tests.

e.g....
The Nigeria Senate is full of highly educated individuals, who have excel in most psychological (aka they are not crazy) and educational (aka they have PhD, Doctorate, etc) test, but if you see how they behave e.g. curse each other out, fighting, climbing fence, chopping money, etc..you can conclude that despite that high psychological and educational test scores, they are not examples of worthy and dignify individuals.

Contrary, the taxi driver that returned hundreds of thousands left in his cab; did not attend school, will fail most of your educational tests, but he is an example of a dignified Nigeria worthy of emulation.

But if you look into the educational system and some exemplary lawyers, you can easily conclude, but stereotypically; that high psychological and educational testing scores equals high dignity and worth.

There are lots of successful scientists, business owners, inventors, Pastors, etc who failed at educational testing but excels in dignity and worthiness...I just looked up the biography of Pastor TB Joshua of SCOAN, the guy only completed primary school and failed to complete even one year in secondary school, but many will agree, if we summise that, he is dignify and worthy.

Savants are another divergent to this theory, they have extra ordinary inert intelligence without formal education, that will make them excel in educational testing scenario and could be dignify/worthy or not.
thanks a lot #respect
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by evansjeff(m): 10:16pm On Jul 18, 2016
olureignforever:

"cite arguments for and against the statement that psychological and educational testing is consistent with a belief in the dignity and worth of the individual human being".

Start by defining psychological and educational testing. In fact all you know about them

Explain the two terms as its consistent with a belief in the dignity and worth of the individual human being.

Then state the advantage and disadvantages of the two terms as its consistent with.................

This type of question will require you to write all you know about it. Feel free. Write it and be consistent.

Goodluck

Funny enough am that lecturer and I won't be testing it.
lol...thanks a million

1 Like

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Favored4gud: 10:22pm On Jul 18, 2016
You just put it in a lay man's term!!! Those lecturers in Naija with their old recycled English language not in tune with the proper spoken/written English. I did something similar in sch, Psychology Class years back. When I look back, I shake my head and laugh at the ignorance, of the lecturer and we the student. Thank God for knowledge today and still learning.
sinaj:
"cite arguments for and against the statement that psychological and educational testing is consistent with a belief in the dignity and worth of the individual human being

Lol dnt mind this Profs. They will set a simple question and use vague words to make it seem tough nd throw u off balance.

He wants to know if you believe psychological and educational testing increase or shapes the worth of an individual.

If you agree, explain why you agreed.

If you disagree, explain.

I think they set something similar to this when awas in year 2 in Psychological testing.

Btw what r u studying in you masters @ evansjeff
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by prety86: 11:17pm On Jul 18, 2016
Educationional and psychological testing is consistent with a believe in the sense that the curriculum of a particular country is based on the value system of that nation.in schools now, students are introduced to various religious studies (CRK and Islamic studies), however these students acts psychologically based on what their religion talks about, that is why is easier for some particular set of people to kill at any given opportunity. On the contrary there are also people who are exposed to the same curriculum, but would still not act in the same manner. Some people also act based on their conscience thus do not believe in any religion...
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by sinaj(f): 11:33pm On Jul 18, 2016
Favored4gud:
You just put it in a lay man's term!!! Those lecturers in Naija with their old recycled English language not in tune with the proper spoken/written English. I did something similar in sch, Psychology Class years back. When I look back, I shake my head and laugh at the ignorance, of the lecturer and we the student. Thank God for knowledge today and still learning.
lol

That's what I always do weneva I see questions like dat.

I will look out for the synonyms of those words nd rephrase.

Which of the psychology did u specialize in?
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by hervin(m): 1:34am On Jul 19, 2016
evansjeff:
I'm a masters student of UNIBEN, prof just threw this question at us and since we are starting exams on Wednesday here, it's only logical to suspect it's an exam question. Though I've done some works on it already but I feel I might get some more brilliant elucidations from gurus here, it's not like a question we can just get answers for from any of the numerous voluminous books of the course, it demands application of knowledge. The question is:

Thanks in advance.
Mods please move this to front page so more persons can contribute.

Statement: Psychological and educational testing is consistent with the belief in the dignity and worth of the human being. (Grading people agrees with the belief in the value/importance of human beings)

Your job: Cite arguments both supporting and disputing the above statement.

Your premises should correlate with your conclusion grin

Lecturers like to twist questions instead of hitting the bullseye undecided undecided
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Cujunwoke(m): 1:44am On Jul 19, 2016
arguments for and against the statement that psychological and educational testing is consistent with a belief in the dignity and worth of the individual human being.
.. Argument for: get the definition of psychology & education<al>
Den u make dis note- yes psychology & educational is consistent because of the nature, nurture controversy of the human being which are deeply pay to their norms and believe infuse and become their mindset which create in them dignity and worthiness to life.

..Argument against : psychology & educational is never consistent to humans belief because of inadequacy of of eco-social-political gadgets needed to actualize the dream goals of human being, even if is provided they will be race ratio and count down of earthly makeup, tribe, incarnation, trade etc.
Get me on 08134548816 for more Work done.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Pascalin90: 2:11am On Jul 19, 2016
The question is quiet simple and straight forward but the issue of "arguing for and against" at the same time may be confusing. Anyways,it only requires a degree of critical thinking. I would have helped you out but the examiner will catch me. Wish you good luck.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by saidu10: 2:25am On Jul 19, 2016
Cite arguments for and against the statement that psychological and educational testing is consistent with a belief in the dignity and worth of the individual human being.

In an attempto answer d statement above its pertinent for d op to first of all understand:
# Wht is psychological testing
#What is educational testing
# Those psychological and educational testing consistent wit belief in a diginity and worth of a man.
# What are your tangible reasons for suporting argument dat says "psychological and educational testing are consisted wit belief in d dignity and worth of a man.and lastly,
# What are your basic argument against d statement above.
Like we all know society varies interms of what they value,belief system,how they conceive the worth and dignity of a man.Lukin at d above statement the op need to state some concrete reasons for seeing dat psychologicl and educational testing worth d dignity of a man in a society.and also shows some tangible reasons for why psychological and educational testings can nt only dignify d Worth of a man.
At d concluding part he should try to justify dat psychological nd educational testing can dignify human being in a society,but there are oda factors whic plays a vital role in d worth and dignity of a man due to there value system.
I have a vast supportin ideas for d statement above or againts d statement above,kindly quote me if u care.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by VickyRotex(f): 5:59am On Jul 19, 2016
eleko1:
u sabi odu abi undecided undecided sad

Wetin be Odu? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by mamaafrik(m): 6:13am On Jul 19, 2016
What i think ur prof.is trying to ask is"tell me,when you have two persons( your Dad and you),argue for or against that your dad will have a better worth(i.e efficacy,efficiency and ability to handle responsibilities and life situation)because he had undergone series of educational testing and exams(which gives him better understanding and twist of academic problems) and psychological(i.e emotional the way he handled pressure,stress,hunger,ladies prank),why does that give ur dad a better worth that you and also why does it not?,that is the questn egbon muyi.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by kolexepana: 10:19am On Jul 19, 2016
Google is your friend.... This is why you own a smartphone, don't let your phone be smarter than you.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by sonnie10: 1:45pm On Jul 19, 2016
Pascalin90:
The question is quiet simple and straight forward but the issue of "arguing for and against" at the same time may be confusing. Anyways,it only requires a degree of critical thinking. I would have helped you out but the examiner will catch me. Wish you good luck.

There is a way to present this type of argument when you are not required to take a position. Certain verbs in signal phrases come handy. Take for instance, you have read articles by the following authors; John, Okon and Ade who are in support of the topic while on the other hand, Igwe, Musa and William hold opposing views on same topic. So, to write a balanced paper (with little bias), first you must be able to discover the themes emerging from both sides of the argument. That is, concepts that are consistent with your thesis statemen.

Although people have different styles of writing, but to show that you have done a good research, before you begin, have an outline consisting of not less than three of the themes you would be writing on. From there, using paragraphs, first you support and in the next paragraphs you oppose what you supported based on your research findings. Do this for each of the themes.

As mentioned earlier, signal phrases offer an excellent way of delivering a free flowing easy, the paper would look like this (using the pseudo authors listed above);

John admitted (asserted, believed, claimed, confirmed, declared, emphasized, insisted, noted, wrote) that ...
Okon agreed (observed, pointed out, reasoned) that ...
Ade contended that ...

Also
Igwe rejected (suggested, thought) ....

Musa refuted (disagreed )...

William responded (posit, mentioned)......

Note that your introduction should contain this elements: Definition of terms, social and theoretical significance of the topic (statistics) and a thesis statement. Most importantly, your paper should be based on a theoretical framework.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by SaintUlot: 8:50pm On Jul 19, 2016
Check my signature and start making money online daily directly into your bank account

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mathematics Challenge: 50% Will Fail This! / Polytechnic Offa SUG: The Cult Awards In Circulation Are Fake / Inspiring Speech Delivered By Young Nigerian Engineer @ Arkansas University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.