Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate (10402 Views)

Rivers Re-run: Wike Would Have Gone Had PDP Lost — Okorocha / Why PDP Lost Edo, Ondo And May Lose Future Elections - Ali Sheriff Faction / Why PDP Lost Ondo – Kashamu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by engineerboat(m): 7:37am On Jul 20, 2016
Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate

In this present age, the coming of Social Media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, online news sites, and local fora like Nairaland have made two way communication easier, effective, and capturing wider reach within the shortest possible time, which has made communication via Social Media cheap and profitable for any organisation, whether political or non-political.

Te Online Media is majorly run and dictated by young technological savvy people in the world today, including Nigeria, and has become a great tool for political participation worldwide. Unlike other parts of the world that are already in terms with engaging social media personalities and other young people in the running of government, party and other political associations’ affairs, same cannot be said of the Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) and other major political organisations in Nigeria at all level, which is unacceptable.

THE CASE FOR PDP ONLINE DIRECTORATE
Long before now, there have been agitations for recognition of the Online Media wing of the party by adopting the Online Directorate, which should be run and managed by loyalists and influencers of the party with strong connection with other young people across the Internet. This Directorate as envisioned would be consulted, informed and take part in every decision making processes of the party, given at least 20 per cent in appointments within the party, and a tool for attracting and recruiting more young people into the party. With young people being part of the system of the party, it creates avenue for them to master the art and science of politics from the elders, as well as achieve the generational shift in leadership.

METUH’S CREATED “SOCIAL MEDIA” AND “STRATEGY” OFFICES:
Following agitations, the immediate-past National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Chief Olisah Metuh, in January 2016, in his capacity, created the offices of “Social Media” and “Strategy” Directors, and appointed Prince Deji Adeyanju and Prince Henry Nwazuruahu Shield respectively to occupy both “offices”. As pleasing as the sound of both titles, they were simply as good as “calling those things which be not as though they were” as written in the book of Romans 4:17 of the Bible. Both offices were “created” without any functional directorate nor defined terms of engagement. Neither Deji nor Shield was given appointment letter, funding, nor any staff. Nobody reports to them neither do they report to anybody. No office space provided for them neither does anyone cares.

They were neither part of the decision making organ of the party nor considered in the scheme of things within the party’s information department. In fact, both offices were chieftaincy titles that carry no weight nor real recognition. They were simply as good as “calling those things which be not as though they were” as stated earlier. Though most of us hailed the ‘appointments’ as we saw it as a good step in the right direction, it later got to us that we were only flowing in our own wishful thoughts. As my Warri friend will say, “Na wash”. With the exit of Metuh, both titles officially exited the scene just like the title of “Coordinating Minister of the Economy” that was created by ex-President Goodluck Jonathan and exited immediately Jonathan left the scene.

PDP’S TRADITION OF NEGLECTING ITS ONLINE WING

Unfortunately, the leadership at all level though continue to pay lip-service with the rhetoric of restructuring the party to accommodate young people who are over 90 per cent movers of the Online Community, the party’s leadership has never lived up to its words. The party’s leadership expects the online community to stick to, defend the party’s decisions and support the leadership at all levels and party candidates for election, even without involving members of this same online wing in the affairs of the party, nor recognise them in appointments and other privileges.

The online community was never consulted during the formation of members of the Senator Ahmed Makarfi-led Caretaker Committee, neither were they consulted by the Senator Alimodu Sheriff’s faction. In fact, no single position was reserved for members of this group by either factions, neither were they consulted nor shortlisted among committee members in the May 21 Portharcourt and Abuja Conventions. Only a few ‘youth’ with ‘connection’ would later lobby their names in without the knowledge of the majority.

The part’s leadership again maintained its resolve to eternally abandon the online community by neglecting them while compiling the Party’s Governorship Campaign Organisation list for Edo state September 10 election (as usual, few people with connection went to beg to be added in a supplementary list that has no value). Just on (July 19) the Sen. Ahmed Makarfi-led Committee released a list of 88 member Convention Committee list WITHOUT consulting with the online community nor included this group in the list. It maintained the “old fox” system according to a co-comrade. Despite the neglect, the party still expects young people to continue to tow this futureless path. I don’t think this is fair.

DEMAND FOR ONLINE DIRECTORATE
Having used our resources and intellects to stand for the party, defend her ideals and still continue to do so, the only fair treatment we deserve is to be included in the scheme of things within the party, and to a large extent Nigeria.

An Online Directorate of the party at the National, Geopolitical and States level is needed especially at this period of time to properly position and redefine the party as well as engage the youths in being part of party and nation building.
There is no alternative to this demand because politics is a very serious business that needs the input of the best brains, whose contributions will benefit both the party and the society. Any party or political association that insists on following the path of neglecting the online community from which it immensely benefits from is unserious and has no business remaining in the system.

Also, any individual or group that continues to accept being neglected despite contribution to a party’s growth should have a rethink. Finally, I shall conclude by quoting the words of Mr Sent ell Barnes, the Country Director of International Republican Institute, “The PDP lost 2015 election because it refused to recognise the power of social media, and its failure to harmonize communication channels.”

May God Bless Us All and Bless Nigeria

Inioribo Tamunotonye wrote from Abuja, with motivation from members of PDP Online Support Group.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/pdp-lost-2015-election-necessity-online-directorate/

12 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:41am On Jul 20, 2016
Wow, thank you OP for bringing this content here, it is well needed and timely.

We can't continue to fool ourselves that all is well within PDP(and the Nigeria political space) with respect to our inclusion in politics when nothing is well.

We can't continue to wail unrelentlessly without a political direction and involvement.

If PDP cannot embrace the creation of Social Media Wing to play a core role within the party then it should not expect support from SM base.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by OGreat20(m): 7:41am On Jul 20, 2016
One of the reasons why PDP lost gallantly during 2015 elections is because of the online community negligence the only way to stop this from happening agaain during the forthcoming election in Edo n Ondo and beyond is for the party to give the online community their due recognition in the affairs of the party!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

2 Likes

Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by engineerboat(m): 7:42am On Jul 20, 2016
It's time PDP wake up and put its structure in the right persepective.

Enough is enough

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by STONEGEORGE15(m): 7:51am On Jul 20, 2016
''The PDP lost 2015 election
becomes it refused to recognise the
power of social media, and its failure to harmonize communication channels”
I hope PDP leadership will see this and make the necessary corrections to avoid a repeat of 2015 election.

1 Like

Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:57am On Jul 20, 2016
STONEGEORGE15:
''The PDP lost 2015 election
because it refused to recognise the
power of social media, and its failure to harmonize communication channels”

I hope PDP leadership will see this and make the necessary corrections to avoid a repeat of 2015 election.
It is a matter of must. If they insist on this part of neglecting SM and other structures used by young people, it will be disastrous.
Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by erunz(m): 8:05am On Jul 20, 2016
APC was able to when the 2015 election, because they had good media team and structures. i think now that PDP has find itself in opposition, it should re-organize its media team and even have an online media directorate, where it will recognize its supporters from all social media platform. i pray this write up gets to the appropriate quarters, because this is the best way to go.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:11am On Jul 20, 2016
@OP lemme EPP you call Lalasticlala
Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by STONEGEORGE15(m): 8:16am On Jul 20, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

It is a matter of must. If they insist on this part of neglecting SM and other structures used by young people, it will be disastrous.
I concur. About 100million Nigerian youths of voting age each own a smartphone with access to social media. Nairaland for example has about 1.6million registered members who are mostly youths. The Online Directorate is the right step long overdue to bridge the gap between PDP, Nigerian youths and the masses in general.

The youths should be included in the scheme of things in PDP.

3 Likes

Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by OGreat20(m): 8:18am On Jul 20, 2016
All hands must be on deck to reclaim our lost glory n the most important hand here is the SM!!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:20am On Jul 20, 2016
STONEGEORGE15:

I concur. About 100million Nigerian youths of voting age each own a smartphone with access to social media. Nairaland for example has about 1.6million registered members who are mostly youths. The Online Directorate is the right step long overdue to bridge the gap between PDP, Nigerian youths and the masses in general.

The youths should be included in the scheme of things in PDP.
Let us not deceive ourselves, PDP neither has Social Media Director nor a directorate. That is the gospel truth.

If as a party we cannot absorb this important arm then why pretend that there is a restructuring?

1 Like

Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by easrael(f): 8:22am On Jul 20, 2016
The gods of Nairaland need to seriously come to the aid of the Social Media wing of the party!

O gods of Nairaland: lalasticlala, obinoscopy, Dominique, fynestboi, mynd44

Please take this to FP!

The PDP Social Media directorate has spoken
Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:22am On Jul 20, 2016
OGreat20:
One of the reasons why PDP lost gallantly during 2015 elections is because of the online community negligence the only way to stop this from happening agaain during the forthcoming election in Edo n Ondo and beyond is for the party to give the online community their due recognition in the affairs of the party!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!
Those with interest of PDP and Nigeria must stand up and be counted that enough is enough. A group of people that add value to a system deserve to be part of the system.
Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by OGreat20(m): 8:23am On Jul 20, 2016
I jst hope they listen to these voices n do the right thing.
TonyeBarcanista:

Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by easrael(f): 8:23am On Jul 20, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Let us not deceive ourselves, PDP neither has Social Media Director nor a directorate. That is the gospel truth.

If as a party we cannot absorb this important arm then why pretend that there is a restructuring?

The party will embrace restructuring irrespective of whose ores would be gored
Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by Gomeznsude(m): 8:27am On Jul 20, 2016
The PDP Should make the hay while the sun shines. Thanks Tonye for this million dollar write up. We cannot continue to support a party that neither recognises nor acknowledges our efforts.

PDP.... Change the change
Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:27am On Jul 20, 2016
easrael:
The gods of Nairaland need to seriously come to the aid of the Social Media wing of the party!

O gods of Nairaland: lalasticlala, obinoscopy, Dominique, fynestboi, mynd44

Please take this to FP!

The PDP Social Media directorate has spoken

We are used to the system where anything "youth" is synonymous with unseriousness and noisemaking.
Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by OGreat20(m): 8:30am On Jul 20, 2016
Lalasticlala our voices need to be heard by our party o...

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!
Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:36am On Jul 20, 2016
easrael:

The party will embrace restructuring irrespective of whose ores would be gored
This is the gospel truth. No single individual or a few group of people can hold the larger majority to Ransome. Those that think the present system favors them should think twice. Nobody will continue to fool himself anymore
Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:39am On Jul 20, 2016
Gomeznsude:
The PDP Should make the hay while the sun shines. Thanks Tonye for this million dollar write up. We cannot continue to support a party that neither recognises nor acknowledges our efforts.

PDP.... Change the change
PDP must understand that restructuring is not about changing party slogan but about adoption of a new attitude. The change must first be from within
Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by Prosperkaro(m): 8:39am On Jul 20, 2016
PDP has refused to Learn from the defeat in 2015, they have forgotten that the social media can even get to the homeless man on the street. they have abandoned the youth in the decision making process, for Christ sake this is not 1999.

2 Likes

Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by SirWahl1: 8:43am On Jul 20, 2016
This is by far the best political writeup I have read in a long time. We the youths must take our rightful place in the party
Until proper structures are put in place and proper recognition to the millions of PDP youth supporters online. Then it will be difficult to see the party coming back to power any time soon.
Things can not continue in the old order and expect a different result. The old older must give way for the new order.
Op God bless you for this timeless piece.
PDP will be great again.

3 Likes

Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by dullardeen(m): 8:46am On Jul 20, 2016
On Point!

If the PDP can harness the vast advantages of social media, the youth will play a big role in tomorrow's electoral tussles.

Moreover, 80% of Nigerian voters are youths!!!
Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by NgeneUkwenu(f): 8:55am On Jul 20, 2016
Since this is coming from Tonye...I hold back my Gun lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:58am On Jul 20, 2016
OGreat20:
All hands must be on deck to reclaim our lost glory n the most important hand here is the SM!!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!
I sometimes wonder whether they care about us the way we care about them
Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by dejiogundipe(m): 8:59am On Jul 20, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
Welcome APC Propaganda Director(Nairaland branch). We've been expecting you.

2 Likes

Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:02am On Jul 20, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
Funny, but I expect you people in the "Progressive Camp" to move for greater participation
Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by engineerboat(m): 9:04am On Jul 20, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

You want to pull the trigger before.

Remember say Arase bullet-proof car dey my hand oooh.

1 Like

Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by OGreat20(m): 9:06am On Jul 20, 2016
It is high time we let them know that we are vital part of the party.
TonyeBarcanista:

I sometimes wonder whether they care about us the way we care about them
Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:07am On Jul 20, 2016
dullardeen:
On Point!

If the PDP can harness the vast advantages of social media, the youth will play a big role in tomorrow's electoral tussles.

Moreover, 80% of Nigerian voters are youths!!!
No party can gain Any political equity without active participation and neglect of the youths.
Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by Dcomrade(m): 9:08am On Jul 20, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
grin partisan politics aside....this is more like stating the obvious for all, irrespective of party affiliation.
Re: Why PDP lost 2015 election and the necessity for an Online Directorate by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:09am On Jul 20, 2016
OGreat20:
It is high time we let them know that we are vital part of the party.
They know but they need a force to compel them to do what is sane. A real push

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria At 56: Confusion In The Ranks - Daily Trust / Papua New Guinea president went to UN meeting in NewYork on traditional dress. / ‘the New Economic Team Should Tell Buhari How He Mismanaged The Economy’ - Oby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.