Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,500 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt (25910 Views)

How I Lost 120,000 Naira In 20days For Buying Blackberry Keyone / I Thought I Lost My Phone But This Man Returned It. (pic) / I Ran Mad The Day I Lost My First Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by Kazrem(m): 2:18am On Jul 22, 2016
Dandsome seems we are in the same shoe. My phone was stolen on Sunday 17th. Even though I have gotten a temporary one to use (thank God for my good wife), I am yet to recover from the loss. Yours is fair. You don't know the thief. I know the the thief but she insisted she didn't take it. I don't want to over drag the case because of who she came to visit.

That aside, since it's an android phone. Go to gmail (if that is the mail you use), click on contacts and see all your contacts there. This will work if you back up on Google.

There is no time I will remember that I don't curse the idiot. She stole my phone and travelled.
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by Nobody: 3:05am On Jul 22, 2016
Dandsome:
As I write this, I am feeling very hurt about my experience. Not because I lost my phone, but because of the circumstances around it.

This is how it went.

I prepare nutritious pap powder and sell to families. So on this fateful day, Tuesday 19th July 2016 I was on my way to deliver my product to a customer via waybill to Abuja.
After all the hustle around people I settled somewhere to make a call before proceeding, only for me to find out to my greatest shock that my phone was missing.

Sharp sharp, I used my torchlight phone to dial the number. Lo and behold it was switched off. My head wan scatter. cry cry

In this kinda economy, I hustle money to buy Tecno W4 na him person go steal am?

That the phone was stolen wasn`t what got me mad. What weakened me was the fact that the details of the person I was to waybill the stuff to was inside the phone that just got stolen. Which kind problem be this one? cry

The woman don already pay money o… Why devil wan try himself? shocked

I didn`t know if I was to start cursing the thief or whatever. I felt defeated because I was not given a fair and level playing ground. The guy no pity me at all. Why didn`t he do the “pick-pocket” when I wasn`t carrying anything? Why did he have to wait until my both hands were full with load before he stole?. Just as there are rules of engagement in war, there should be rules of engagement in “Pick-pocket” .

Since economy is bad and no job, even the jobs people have are being lost, I hustle to put food on my table and not be a criminal na him person go steal my phone. If I was doing something bad when it was stolen I for no complain.

Another place I felt defeated was when I went to carlcare office Computer village ikeja to see if I can block the phone so that both of us won`t use the phone again but the lady there told me it can`t be done. Nairalanders, biko is there a way for a phone to be blocked when stolen or how a phone can be retrieved when you have the IMEI??

I also read sometimes online here, (though I was too occupied I didn’t pay attention) That Tecno has a wrist band (I don`t know the name) that can tell you when your phone is about to be stolen.
My phone runs on Android 6.0 and the wrist-band from what I read works on android 6.0. If I had the Tecno wrist band, it would have vibrated. And immediately it vibrated I would have known that something was wrong.

My Tecno W4 has an inbuilt battery. If I had known I would have used a lock code or lock pattern. That way if the thief was about leaving It would have vibrated and I would have called my number. Now since it has an inbuilt battery, the thief wouldn`t have been able to switch the phone off so immediately I dialed it would have rung.

Lessons you too can learn and what I should have done

1. Always lock your phone with a code or pattern
2. Always hold your phone when in a crowded place. No matter how deep your phone is, these pick pockets will find a way
3. Like my friend will suggest, use earpiece. He said that once you use earpiece, immediately your phone leaves your pocket, the thief will pull the earpiece which will draw your attention.
4. Once any suspicious person keeps following you, change direction.
5. Get a Tecno wrist Band

Suggestion
I`ll suggest Tecno and Carlcare should find a way to help people retrieve their phones when stolen. Or they should be able to block the phone when the rightful owner shows a proof. At least this will discourage pick-pocket in a way once they know they are holding a dead phone.

Guys please those who know phones very well, is there a cheap android phone one can get that runs on android 6.0? Any suggestion? Also how can I block my stolen phone?
Right now the thief is winning me like 3-0. I want to equalize or reduce it to 3-2 (football fans will understand) grin grin

Can someone please tell me more about it the Tecno wrist band for phones? Where can I get it? How much is it? And is it for only Tecno phones ?

Please I take God beg una. If you don`t know the answer abeg no derail my thread. Thank you.

Anybody close to Seun, lalasticlala, dragnet, puskin and honsule should please help me tell them to push this to front page so if the woman is a Nairalander, she will see this and know that I lost her number so she can dial my number. Her goods are already in keffi. I sent it to a friend so once I get her number, my friend can deliver to her. Keffi to Abuja is closer than Lagos to Abuja. Somebori help me oooo

op, you should have installed some security features to enable you trace the phone or wipe it remotely, apps like lookout, netquin, avast antivirus, u cn even have all the 3 apps running at the same time some can even send text messages when the sim card is changed

as for using earpiece, i know someone that her fone was stolen while using earpiece, all this pick pocketting stuff is your mindset towards it, the mind is a very powerful tool and if u can utilize it very well, it will go a long way

Note: a locked phone can still be switched off

1 Like

Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by HaroldFinch(m): 4:04am On Jul 22, 2016
I am very sorry for your loss OP. Try setting up your new phone on Android Device Manager with your google account. Go online immediately and block it or even get the location of the device. You can also ring it. Also install anti an theft app next time. i use Avast anti theft. it may be annoying at times, but anytime i swap sim cards, it automatically sends sms and email to the set addresses.

Approaching the bank for a print out of your statement of account is the best way of getting your client's details. If you use a mobile app or receive email alerts too, transaction details can be displayed on the app or sent to mails by some banks. You can start digging from there. even if its her name, Facebook comes handy.
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by MikeB3(m): 4:34am On Jul 22, 2016
Sorry bro you shall get over it pretty soon, we all have tasted stuffs like this before one way or the other other. Anyways, I am suggesting you should contact your service provider probably they can assist you with the woman's number or you can welcome back your Sim card and retrieve your contacts but that's only if you activated Backup.
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by fidelism: 4:38am On Jul 22, 2016
Do you live in Lagos? Do you have the receipt and the IMEI? If yes, you stand a high chance of getting your phone back
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by bedfordng(m): 5:33am On Jul 22, 2016
Dandsome:

How can google help to block the phone? Please I need it urgently.. The guy don de win me like 5-0 now.
you can do that from android device manager if you had enabled it before it was stolen. You can't block it, you can only lock it, wipe and ring
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by ican2020: 6:08am On Jul 22, 2016
MP3BADOOdotCOM:
op next time root your phone. Install Anti-Theft (rooted) app.

the app will still be there even after the phone has been formatted, and one the phone connects online you can remotely coontrol the phone

screen shot, snap shot, get location............

this works for only rooted phones.
do small googling for details i don try

AND OP SORRY FOR YA LOST SHA

am a certified blogger
Which one exactly since we have many anti theft in play store
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by lindiwey: 6:40am On Jul 22, 2016
OP, if you are really serious you would have done welcome back immediately.

2. How did you meet this client? If it's a referral, call the person and ask for her number.

3. If it is via facebook, go there and post your search.
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by power900: 7:09am On Jul 22, 2016
MeoClark:
Lagos and pick pockets
I know this is not umthe pics you intended to upload, I know you are always seen on every thread uploading that your uncle with two fingers in the air grin grin
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by KAYD007(m): 7:43am On Jul 22, 2016
Dandsome:

No oooooo... Her number don lost cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

You should have sync your phone numbers to a Gmail account that you can always have access to your phone numbers...now your customer will think you have duped her....not nice at all.
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by ddjay: 8:29am On Jul 22, 2016
Dandsome:
As I write this, I am feeling very hurt about my experience. Not because I lost my phone, but because of the circumstances around it.

This is how it went.

I prepare nutritious pap powder and sell to families. So on this fateful day, Tuesday 19th July 2016 I was on my way to deliver my product to a customer via waybill to Abuja.
After all the hustle around people I settled somewhere to make a call before proceeding, only for me to find out to my greatest shock that my phone was missing.

Sharp sharp, I used my torchlight phone to dial the number. Lo and behold it was switched off. My head wan scatter. cry cry

In this kinda economy, I hustle money to buy Tecno W4 na him person go steal am?

That the phone was stolen wasn`t what got me mad. What weakened me was the fact that the details of the person I was to waybill the stuff to was inside the phone that just got stolen. Which kind problem be this one? cry

I didn`t know if I was to start cursing the thief or whatever. I felt defeated because I was not given a fair and level playing ground. The guy no pity me at all. Why didn`t he do the “pick-pocket” when I wasn`t carrying anything? Why did he have to wait until my both hands were full with load before he stole?. Just as there are rules of engagement in war, there should be rules of engagement in “Pick-pocket” .

Since economy is bad and no job, even the jobs people have are being lost, I hustle to put food on my table and not be a criminal na him person go steal my phone. If I was doing something bad when it was stolen I for no complain.

Another place I felt defeated was when I went to carlcare office Computer village ikeja to see if I can block the phone so that both of us won`t use the phone again but the lady there told me it can`t be done. Nairalanders, biko is there a way for a phone to be blocked when stolen or how a phone can be retrieved when you have the IMEI??

I also read sometimes online here, (though I was too occupied I didn’t pay attention) That Tecno has a wrist band (I don`t know the name) that can tell you when your phone is about to be stolen.
My phone runs on Android 6.0 and the wrist-band from what I read works on android 6.0. If I had the Tecno wrist band, it would have vibrated. And immediately it vibrated I would have known that something was wrong.

My Tecno W4 has an inbuilt battery. If I had known I would have used a lock code or lock pattern. That way if the thief was about leaving It would have vibrated and I would have called my number. Now since it has an inbuilt battery, the thief wouldn`t have been able to switch the phone off so immediately I dialed it would have rung.

2. Always hold your phone when in a crowded place. No matter how deep your phone is, these pick pockets will find a way
3. Like my friend will suggest, use earpiece. He said that once you use earpiece, immediately your phone leaves your pocket, the thief will pull the earpiece which will draw your attention.

Suggestion
I`ll suggest Tecno and Carlcare should find a way to help people retrieve their phones when stolen. Or they should be able to block the phone when the rightful owner shows a proof. At least this will discourage pick-pocket in a way once they know they are holding a dead phone.

Guys please those who know phones very well, is there a cheap android phone one can get that runs on android 6.0? Any suggestion? Also how can I block my stolen phone?
Right now the thief is winning me like 3-0. I want to equalize or reduce it to 3-2 (football fans will understand) grin grin

Can someone please tell me more about it the Tecno wrist band for phones? Where can I get it? How much is it? And is it for only Tecno phones ?

Please I take God beg una. If you don`t know the answer abeg no derail my thread. Thank you.

Anybody close to Seun, lalasticlala, dragnet, puskin and honsule should please help me tell them to push this to front page so if the woman is a Nairalander, she will see this and know that I lost her number so she can dial my number. Her goods are already in keffi. I sent it to a friend so once I get her number, my friend can deliver to her. Keffi to Abuja is closer than Lagos to Abuja. Somebori help me oooo

another suggestion is to use an anti virus like avg,mcafee,norton etc. they can help you locate the phone, wipe it etc. the disadvantage of this method is that the antivirus has to be running at the background, location service (gps) on. of course, battery will be affected but its worth it. my niece tried to unlock my sony xperia, the avg anti virus used the selfie cam to snap her and sent it to my gmail with the caption "someone tried to unlock your phone" then showed her pic with location on Google maps
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by Redstone(m): 8:58am On Jul 22, 2016
Dandsome:

This is how it went.

Suggestion

Send the IMEI and serial numbers to info@fortereg.com

We will broadcast it to phone delears & buyers across the country via email.

Please include your name and phone number. You might just be lucky to recover it. There are lot's of honest Nigerians who wouldn't buy a stolen phone or gadget.

You can also create a free account and save the IMEI of your new phones on the site too.

Sorry about the loss.
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by monalsian(f): 9:36am On Jul 22, 2016
This One Na Advert Ooo,
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by fidelism: 9:45am On Jul 22, 2016
Dandsome:

This is how it went.

Suggestion

This is not a copy and paste post.
It originates from me, so pay
attention.
You can recover your stolen phone with ease
(the last experience I know of took three days
before the law enforcement agents recovered
the stolen phone)
You need to have what I'd call a 'pre-theft/recover plan'. You need to keep certain information and document of your phone now. Dial *#06# to get your IMEI. If you are using
dual sim phone, you would have two IMEIs.
Write them in a safe, secure place. Keep all receipts of your phone.
Reach me as soon as your phone is stolen.
For security reasons, I won't reveal the process
of recovering your stolen phone.

If you have 'tweaked' your phone, keep the original IMEIs. Lock your phone with a code (password or pattern lock).
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by charlsecy(m): 12:48pm On Jul 22, 2016
Dandsome:

This is how it went.

Suggestion

Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by teetee2(f): 1:07pm On Jul 22, 2016
Lagos palaver. I also lost my two phones to one chance on 14/6/2016. I was going out on Tuesday morning when I stopped the wicked people thinking it was a real commercial bus. They searched my bag took my phones (Infinix - Alpha and Samsung 33..NT) and other valuable things. After collecting my valuable they poured dried pepper on my eye. It was a terrible experience. I cant stop cursing them to their generation unborn. They are cursed forever. What pained me most was planning to sell one of the phones to assist my sister that was in need. To crown it all, I went to Etisalat office to block and retrieve my number I was told that my no could not be traced on their system, the number I used that morning of incidence to stream. It is well with our country Nigeria
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by teetee2(f): 1:09pm On Jul 22, 2016
Lagos palaver. I also lost my two phones to one chance on 14/6/2016. I was going out on Tuesday morning when I stopped the wicked people thinking it was a real commercial bus. They searched my bag took my phones (Infinix - Alpha and Samsung 33..NT) and other valuable things. After collecting my valuable they poured dried pepper on my eye. It was a terrible experience. I cant stop cursing them to their generation unborn. They are cursed forever. What pained me most was planning to sell one of the phones to assist my sister that was in need. To crown it all, I went to Etisalat office to block and retrieve my number I was told that my no could not be traced on their system, the number I used that morning of incidence to stream. It is well with our country Nigeria. Please any assistance to make these phone useless for them. thx
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by YoungOldGee: 9:32pm On Jul 22, 2016
Wow. Such a painful experience. Sorry for your loss.
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by infogenius(m): 9:37pm On Jul 22, 2016
Dandsome:

Thanks. I`ll try is tomorrow. Also abeg you sabi how I fit block my stolen phone? Its a Tecno W4

Brother sorry again about the loss of your phone
Have you been able to establish contact with your customer?
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by JustOutstanding: 10:35pm On Jul 22, 2016
Had a similar experience. I was pick-pocketed in the bus by the fierce looking guy sitting next to me. It was a planned work between the driver, conductor and the guy sitting next to me. Such a terrible experience.
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by Nobody: 2:41am On Jul 23, 2016
sorextee:
Sad story.. Lesson learnt.
That was how dey snatched my s4 at berger(Abuja). Was sitting by d window, playing candy crush. One sharp guy move am from outside. After a week, I decided to trace d fone, the phone was already in onitsha. But was able to wipe my data remotely, via Samsung website.

But op, don't tecno have a website like that, where u register ur device, nd u can also trace it Wen lost. All I hear is calcare. What is carlcare?Dont know how dat works.
Na so igbó people go dey deceive us say dem dey hardworking... Just look at a crime duly reported nd d location of the fucckingg predator.. Nothing good ever come frm a dirty sloppy Igbo man
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by sorextee(m): 7:57am On Jul 23, 2016
The story did not end there o. There's dis agbero dat loads passengers at berger. We became frnds, cos he normally reserves front seat for me. And sometimes, I Roger him. I gave him my number, so incase I wan enter cab, make him reserve front seat. D girl dat started using it didn't wipe my fone. She continued using it like dat. She was using my whatsapp. After like 2 mnths, I started receiving some strange calls, dat they want to speak with cynthiaaa. I told dem wrong number. One of dem started arguing dat my number is hers dat dey chat on whatsapp. He gave her money, blah blah blah. That was when I remembered my stolen fone. Added myself on my whatsapp. Dat was how I saw her. She told me her broda working in Abuja bought d fone for her. I told her d fone is mine, stolen from me. I never knew if u register ur Samsung phone on their website, u can trace ur call logs and sms. I did that.
Lo and behold, dat agbero guys number was among. I couldn't bliv my eyes. And I was very nice to this guy. D day my fone got snatched, as I came down from d cab, trying to trace who stole it, he approached me nd was like wetin happen. Told him some1 stole my fone. If u see as him carry d matter for head ehn, u no go suspect am. All dat was a trick, to delay me, so d thief go run well well.

lowgeorge:

Na so igbó people go dey deceive us say dem dey hardworking... Just look at a crime duly reported nd d location of the fucckingg predator.. Nothing good ever come frm a dirty sloppy Igbo man
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by sorextee(m): 7:59am On Jul 23, 2016
If u registered ur Samsung fone, u can trace it.... Don't know about infinix

teetee2:
Lagos palaver. I also lost my two phones to one chance on 14/6/2016. I was going out on Tuesday morning when I stopped the wicked people thinking it was a real commercial bus. They searched my bag took my phones (Infinix - Alpha and Samsung 33..NT) and other valuable things. After collecting my valuable they poured dried pepper on my eye. It was a terrible experience. I cant stop cursing them to their generation unborn. They are cursed forever. What pained me most was planning to sell one of the phones to assist my sister that was in need. To crown it all, I went to Etisalat office to block and retrieve my number I was told that my no could not be traced on their system, the number I used that morning of incidence to stream. It is well with our country Nigeria. Please any assistance to make these phone useless for them. thx
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by JanethEze(f): 12:03pm On Jul 23, 2016
My goodness, this is one long story. Sorry eyah.
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by Cdave: 7:03pm On Jul 23, 2016
i think i reason the idea of phone blocking sha... but then that means we have to register our phones. there wont be anything like london used or hand to hand sales
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by stevepeters: 6:33am On Jul 24, 2016
Cdave:
i think i reason the idea of phone blocking sha... but then that means we have to register our phones. there wont be anything like london used or hand to hand sales

JanethEze:
My goodness, this is one long story. Sorry eyah.

Vewi long o... I think all you have to do is register your sim with a phone so no swapping of sims. When you want to resell, u have to give the person all d details to show that its not stolen!!! Hmmm

1 Like

Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by Cdave: 7:24am On Jul 24, 2016
stevepeters:

Vewi long o... I think all you have to do is register your sim with a phone so no swapping of sims. When you want to resell, u have to give the person all d details to show that its not stolen!!! Hmmm

Such it is o... That's a vewi serz tech esp in our country where we like passing things down.
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by tymajek: 4:20pm On Jul 25, 2016
OP....sorry for your loss ehn......pele
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by tymajek: 4:21pm On Jul 25, 2016
and you did not change it for any of them?

JustOutstanding:
Had a similar experience. I was pick-pocketed in the bus by the fierce looking guy sitting next to me. It was a planned work between the driver, conductor and the guy sitting next to me. Such a terrible experience.
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by Piusman: 3:29pm On Jul 28, 2016
sorry bruh!.....
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by kendrick2: 9:33am On Jul 30, 2016
LOL sorry, but we can learn from this too
Re: How I Lost My Phone And Lessons To Be Learnt by Nobody: 9:16am On Aug 01, 2016
How sad. If you had known all these ways too secure phone you should have done that since, instead of ending up on wasted journey.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Configure Your Phone To Access The Internet / Why You Should Not Register MTN With Your BVN Details / How To Play And Download Youtube Videos Using BIS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.