Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,582 members, 7,958,797 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 01:23 AM

What Are The Situations When You Felt Embarrassed And Ashamed About Your Country - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Are The Situations When You Felt Embarrassed And Ashamed About Your Country (363 Views)

How Long Would It Take Your Country To Fix This Damaged Road, See Reactions(Pic) / Buhari: I Felt Like Absconding When I Assumed Office / If I Were You,i'd Be Too Ashamed To Mock Change: Oby Ezekwesili (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Are The Situations When You Felt Embarrassed And Ashamed About Your Country by BizLifeE: 11:45am On Jul 23, 2016
(With a heavy heart) Honor Killings!

In the Pakistani society ‘honor’ of a family is safe as long as female members of the family keep their hymens intact. To cut it short, ‘honor’ rests in the vaginas of women (while there is little check and balance over joysticks). Over a 1000 women are murdered every year by family members to save their 'honor.'

Primary reason for honor killings is, women exercising their right of choice in marriage.

Promiscuity and casual sex is taboo in many third world eastern societies, but in Pakistan a woman can be killed even for love marriage. A girl hailing from a conservative family is not supposed to fall in love. Her family members are supposed to find her potential suitor. They will decide with whom the girl will share bed for the rest of her life.
This is Zeenat Rafique;

She was beaten and then burnt alive by her own mother last week simply because she married a man of her own choice. Her sickening mother when asked, said she had no regrets.

I find it quiet ironic that girls here are taught not to talk to strangers by their families. But one day they have to share the bed with one.

Source: Pakistani teen was still breathing when set on fire, report says

EDIT1: Thank You everyone for your response. I have been asked if honor killings are inspired by religion or culture is to be blamed. I would like to point out that Islamic tradition gives women the right to marry out of their free will. Sadly honor killings are being carried out by neighboring non-muslims alike. Just two days back a Christian man has killed his sister in the name of ‘honor’ in Sialkot, Pakistan.

Christian man kills own sister in name of 'honour' in Sialkot

Unfortunately situation is not that different in neighboring non-Muslim northern India. Both India and Pakistan are leading the world in this gruesome practice.

International Honour Based Violence Resource Centre

EDIT2: Today another girl has been killed by her parents in the name of ‘honor’ in gujranwala/punjab, Pakistan. In case you are wondering, her “crime” was love marriage as well.

LAHORE: Relatives slit the throat of a young mother, who was pregnant with her second child after she married against their will, officials said Friday, the latest in a spate of so-called “honour killings”.

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-situations-when-you-felt-embarrassed-and-ashamed-about-your-country

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: What Are The Situations When You Felt Embarrassed And Ashamed About Your Country by theEYe21(f): 12:25pm On Jul 23, 2016
What is Nigerian's business with Pakistan culture? undecided Nigeria has its own culture, Pakistan have it's culture, so let's leave it as that.

(1) (Reply)

Amaechi & Wike Attend Peace Meeting To Ensure Violent-free Re-run Elections / Nigeria Newspaper Review +sport News 31 July 2016 / Where Is Aisha Buhari?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.