Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,085 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? (6070 Views)

Oyo Empire A Yoruba Folklore Another Myth Bursted / Oyo Empire : Origin Of Tribal Marks, Afonja & Hausa - Fulani / 10 Interesting Things You Don’t Know About The Old Oyo Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by OBAFEMIawolowo: 1:58pm On Jul 23, 2016
See what I found

1 Share

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by ahaz: 2:03pm On Jul 23, 2016
OBAFEMIawolowo:
See what I found
wow quite reviling. that means the igwe of nri is by far one of the oldest royal dynasty in nija and deserve to be a federal first class king in nija..but trust nija we are good at distorting history.

4 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 23, 2016
there is big difference between an empire and a kingdom.
mynd44 move to culture section

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by OBAFEMIawolowo: 2:08pm On Jul 23, 2016
Hagm0nd:
what's the difference?

1 Like

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by OBAFEMIawolowo: 2:11pm On Jul 23, 2016
ahaz:
wow quite reviling. that means the igwe of nri is by far one of the oldest royal dynasty in nija and deserve to be a federal first class king in nija..but trust nija we are good at distorting history.
nri kingdom actually saw the emergence and annihilation of Oyo empire.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by mercyville: 2:11pm On Jul 23, 2016
NRI KINGDOM WAS A COWARD KINGDOM THAT MET IFE KINGDOM ON GROUND...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by JBismarck(m): 2:12pm On Jul 23, 2016
OBAFEMIawolowo:
what's the difference?

If you don't know the difference between kingdom and empire then you don't deserve my attention as it is a complete waste of time and resources for me.

Well, let me state this.
There are some things that must be cleared here.
The thread started by stating that:
NRI was a Kingdom
Oyo was an Empire
NRI is older than Oyo

Somewhere along the line, some people have deviated from the course of discussion maybe out of sheer ignorance or deliberate attempt to cause confusion.

We need to read up on these technical terms:

Kingdom
Empire
Dynasty

As a historian I'm well aware that before an entity becomes an empire it has to pass through kingdom. So, empire, in other word, is an agglomeration of Kingdoms. It is always very very heterogeneous and doesn't get king as the head but an emperor.

Kingdom on the other hand has a king as the head and is almost always homogenous. It takes years, if not centuries, for a kingdom to graduate to an empire.

Dynasty is the bloodline of rulers. If the headship of an entity remains within a bloodline for long, this is a dynasty. It could be son succeeding father or brother succeeding brother or even daughter succeeding father or brother. When another bloodline takes over the headship another dynasty has just been installed. Sayfawa Dynasty of Kanem-Bornu is the longest dynasty in the world

Back to the topic, Nri kingdom, based on the dates provided by this OP, is older than Oyo Empire and not Oyo Kingdom. Oyo was a kingdom for long before it became an empire and later came back to kingdom. Oyo was an offshoot of Ife Kingdom but later grew to become empire that enveloped Ife herself and all the other neighbouring kingdoms, fiefdoms, city-states etc.

That stated, one unique thing I found very interesting about Nri kingdom is its ability to command obedience without force. It was a kind of theocratic state; no standing army, yet, no one disrespected its authority.

Mogidi and Lalasticlala should move this to the FP for Nigerians to learn important aspects of our history.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by cheruv: 2:12pm On Jul 23, 2016
Hagm0nd:
Move bkos it conflicts with your superiority complex vis-a-vis the Igbo...isn't it?

1 Like

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by mandarin: 2:12pm On Jul 23, 2016
The Kingdom of Eri was highly hypothetical when you study through d historical concepts presented by its archeological proponents. The dates offered were not distinct and many positions assumed were historical mirage.
The effect if Benin Empire on Onitsha can be proved culturally but there's no distinct cultural inheritance but some relics assumed to have been part of Eri civilization which to someone like me, can be assumed to be unproven as part of today's civilization. In the last 500 years, no one has been able to prove that an empire existed that span 18th century in Eastern flank of Nigeria save the bloodied Arochukwu kingdom which was minor and to d north if it d Jukuns and Igala.
There are alot in African antiquities and saying Eri is of continuous igbo kingdom is d same as believing d currents crops of Arabs were of d ancient Egypt

7 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 23, 2016
OBAFEMIawolowo:
what's the difference?
an empire that transverse two countries, an empire so vast and powerful that at its peak Dahomey were at its mercy and one small kingdom lording over small hamlets.
ridiculous!
better still, www.Google.com

6 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by OBAFEMIawolowo: 2:18pm On Jul 23, 2016
JBismarck:

If you don't know the difference between kingdom and empire then you don't deserve my attention as it is a complete waste of time and resources for me.
I know the difference but I just want to know how tje difference affects the ages of NRI kingdom and Oyo empire.
Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by mercyville: 2:19pm On Jul 23, 2016
Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by mercyville: 2:19pm On Jul 23, 2016
..NRI WHAT? grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jul 23, 2016
cheruv:

Move bkos it conflicts with your superiority complex vis-a-vis the Igbo...isn't it?
pls don't bore me with your nonsense,youre the disgruntled one suffering from superiority complex.
what fvk do I give about ibos.

5 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by aresa: 2:20pm On Jul 23, 2016
Fake everything people and fake kingdom..lol.

Funny Igbos.. grin

11 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by cheruv: 2:25pm On Jul 23, 2016
OBAFEMIawolowo:
nri kingdom actually saw the emergence and annihilation of Oyo empire.
Ohaeze Nri actually saw the rise and fall of so many imperial powers in history...the Eri dynasty lasted for close to a 1000years,and only the fact the Brits forced the sacred king in 1911 to give up his religio-cultural powers over Igboland was what made it possible to pacify alaigbo(a pointer to that effect is that the ekwumekwu resistance in Anioma crumbled three years later).
When the time comes,we'd restore the religio-cultural powers the ezenri has...and that time is coming soon

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by cheruv: 2:27pm On Jul 23, 2016
Hagm0nd:
pls don't bore me with your nonsense,youre the disgruntled one suffering from a superiority complex.
what fvk do I give about ibos.
Nofè otu ebe biko! undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jul 23, 2016
cheruv:
Nofè otu ebe biko! undecided
same to you

2 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by Scholes00: 2:37pm On Jul 23, 2016
lol.. So the earliest Igbo civilization was started in 948AD when Yorubas have been developing artefacts and building kingdoms much earlier.
ordinary Sungbo Eredo is 800AD , and the left overs of its past are still there for all eyes to see. not to even mention the much older kingdom of IFE, Oyo empire is relatively recent in Yoruba history.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by YourNemesis: 2:49pm On Jul 23, 2016
Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by cheruv: 3:04pm On Jul 23, 2016
Scholes00:
lol.. So the earliest Igbo civilization was started in 948AD when Yorubas have been developing artefacts and building kingdoms much earlier.
ordinary Sugbo Eredo is 800AD , and the left overs of its past are still there for all eyes to see. not to even mention the much older kingdom of IFE, Oyo empire is relatively recent in Yoruba history.
If its about civilizations, then Nri isnt the oldest Igbo civilization... But if its about dynasties, the Eri dynasty(Apupa Eri) is the second oldest in Nigeria(the seifawa dynasty of Kanem/Bornu is older circa800AD).

Just recently an Indian scholar identified a place in Igboland as the location of a very powerful city state that existed before the deluge

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by cheruv: 3:06pm On Jul 23, 2016
Hagm0nd:
an empire that transverse two countries, an empire so vast and powerful that at its peak Dahomey were at its mercy and one small kingdom lording over small hamlets.
ridiculous!
better still, www.Google.com
Vast?
Don't let the Mongol empire hear the nansense you just sprouted out

3 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by YourNemesis: 3:06pm On Jul 23, 2016
cheruv:

If its about civilizations, then Nri isnt the oldest Igbo civilization... But if its about dynasties, the Eri dynasty(Apupa Eri) is the second oldest in Nigeria(the seifawa dynasty of Kanem/Bornu is older circa800AD).

Just recently an Indian scholar identified a place in Igboland as the location of a very powerful city state that existed before the deluge

lol, guy Ife Dynasty is much older than Nri.
Okay, list all the past rulers of Nr starting from Eri, and let me list all the rulers of Ife starting from Oduduwa, Ajaka, Shango, Lafogido etc.
The Ife dynasty precedes Nri by at least another 1,000 years.
The current Ooni Ogunwusi Ojaja II is the 51st Ooni. The current Eze Nri is what number?

5 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jul 23, 2016
cheruv:

Vast?
Don't let the Mongol empire hear the nansense you just sprouted out
we are not discussing Asian empires here,rather we are talking about Oyo empire and NRI kingdom.
and how long did the Genghis Khan empire live?another reason,you shouldn't compare the ages of empires with kingdoms.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Jul 23, 2016
YourNemesis:

Okay, list all the past rulers of Nr starting from Eri, and let me list all the rulers of Ife starting from Oduduwa, Ajaka, Shango, Lafogido etc.
The current Ooni Ogunwusi Ojaja II is the 51st Ooni. The current Eze Nri is what number?
U are asking for what they don't know or doesn't even exist

4 Likes

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by YourNemesis: 3:21pm On Jul 23, 2016
cheruv:

This is what happens when Middle eastern traditions has corrupted an African tradition so much. They start talking about Eri walking from Israel to Anambra state or Pre-Deluge civilization.
What deluge? The deluge in which Noah put every single Micro organism, Virus, Animals, birds, and tree species into one shitty ark smaller than the Titanic or Lusitania ship.

1 Like

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by masseratti: 3:23pm On Jul 23, 2016
Are you all not tired of this comparison? left and right, we all come from somewhere, science can even help with the bloods flowing in our veins who and where our distance relatives are.

1 Like

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by cheruv: 6:03pm On Jul 23, 2016
YourNemesis:

This is what happens when Middle eastern traditions has corrupted an African tradition so much. They start talking about Eri walking from Israel to Anambra state or Pre-Deluge civilization.
What deluge? The deluge in which Noah put every single Micro organism, Virus, Animals, birds, and tree species into one shitty ark smaller than the Titanic or Lusitania ship.
The bold is what's expected of one who pulls facts from thin air...ndo undecided

1 Like

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by cheruv: 6:09pm On Jul 23, 2016
YourNemesis:

Your argument is akin to telling me that since the current Pope is the 265th,the Papacy must be above 3000yrs old...Instead of this line,why don't you sell me the Eiffel tower? undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by EzeNri(m): 3:23pm On Jul 24, 2016
cheruv:

Ohaeze Nri actually saw the rise and fall of so many imperial powers in history...the Eri dynasty lasted for close to a 1000years,and only the fact the Brits forced the sacred king in 1911 to give up his religio-cultural powers over Igboland was what made it possible to pacify alaigbo(a pointer to that effect is that the ekwumekwu resistance in Anioma crumbled three years later).
When the time comes,we'd restore the religio-cultural powers the ezenri has...and that time is coming soon
I share in that sentiment. Am from Abia, and my primary allegiance is to only one King; The Ezenri, Igwe (desecendant of Heaven) Ndigbo.
Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by EzeNri(m): 3:41pm On Jul 24, 2016
YourNemesis:

Ur Bini Empire where ur Oduduwa descended from was established in the year 1180 and fell in 1897.

Bini Empire was older than Oyo Empire. Oyo was the last son of Oduduwa. Oya use ur head.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benin_Empire?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C2370479323

Like OBAFEMIawolowo rightly said, "the Nri Kingdom saw to the emergence and annihilation of Oyo Empire". But I'll say, Nri Empire saw to the emergence and annihilation of the Yoruba confederation.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Kingdom Of Nri Really Older Than Oyo Empire? by EzeNri(m): 3:48pm On Jul 24, 2016
Scholes00:
ordinary Sungbo Eredo is 800AD , and the left overs of its past are still there for all eyes to see. not to even mention the much older kingdom of IFE, Oyo empire is relatively recent in Yoruba history.
Who founded Ife? Oduduwa I guess. Your Oduduwa descended from Bini Empire and Nri Empire was 232 yrs older than Bini Empire.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should African Men Stop Paying Bride Price? / Aba Slangs And Meaning / Some Facts About Hausa People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.