Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? (27985 Views)

What Is The One Thing You Regret Not Asking Your Spouse Before Marriage? / HIV+ Woman Hides Her Status From Her Husband Before Marriage / Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jul 25, 2016
I have ceased debating obvious things.... Most people argue to console themselves......
When you discover why women do not agree that they may not be attractive (even the Yoko onos of this world), then you'd understand why many "feminists" would not agree with this.....

1 Like

Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Stillfire: 3:32pm On Jul 25, 2016
bukatyne:

First, welcome back from your hiatus

The author is a upper mid-class white woman grin

I agree the economy and educational system doesn't favor marrying 'early' as advocated by the author and the husband extremely matters in this parts.

@ Topic: I am a staunch supporter of marriage before career... Career in this context is working to become a top shot in her industry. I don't see it happening over a long period of time to hold down marriage for.

It is not necessarily an upbringing thing. My mom esp. wanted me to work longer before marriage; I wondered why the wait cheesy

Thank you dear.
Nevertheless, if I lived in Nigeria, I would have considered it a much greater risk marrying early without a career or source of income or finishing school.
Feminists have laid down the ground work for women to be protected in the West. They can afford to have this discussion.
I consider early marriage to a Nigerian male especially living in Nigeria very high risk. grin He is protected by society to do as he pleases. Even if he gets punishment for a wrong doing, it is a pat on his back compared to the female. The position of the female in that marriage is determined by the whims of the man. A self sufficient female can afford to leave when he starts manifesting. grin
The marriage institution in Nigeria is not protected. Factors like brideprice in some ethnic groups already sets the tone for the position of the female in the marriage.
Before talking about early marriage, are Nigerian women protected in marriage per se? I think our discussion should be about institutionalizing policies to protect the female in marriage first. This would give her the opportunity to have an array of choices like her Western counterparts on whether she wants to marry early or not.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by shaybebaby(f): 4:08pm On Jul 25, 2016
crackhaus:

Of course it has to be a black and white answer - you either regret motherhood OR you don't. cheesy
I know there might be times a woman may feel overwhelmed... but on the whole, what gives?

Or have you learnt the art of tactful manoeuvres from your friend Mindfulness? grin
Oga, you are once again assuming that word "motherhood" or even the circumstances of how one got to be there is the same for everyone. Not to mention, what the experiences are once one is in it.

I cannot give you a "yes" or "no" answer without divulging more than I want to in order to provide context.
But I can say, overall it has been interesting, enriching, frustrating, exhausting, overwhelming, surprising, funny, unpredictable, tears-inducing, painful, wondrous and fraught with revelations about life and myself. A roller coaster of emotions.

3 Likes

Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by shaybebaby(f): 4:28pm On Jul 25, 2016
crackhaus:

This is how you described the writer.

Since you say she's a feminist suited to her own taste, it follows that she was a feminist because the entire article could not possibly be written by a hard-core feminist (it goes against everything feminism preaches).
Thus since she's a feminist, she most definitely is now reformed as seen in the article.

Pseudo-feminists are women who adopt feminist ideologies without a thorough understanding of its history, relevance, and core principles - This group litter this forum.

I hope you do not consider me a feminist tongue or even the pseudo-feminists you allude to. I know next to nothing about feminism and even some of the people such as mindfulness that you have referred to on here as feminists whose opinions are largely in line with mine do not resonate with me as such. If we were to look for label for our sort of ideology, the word would be "Humanist".
https://humanism.org.uk/humanism/
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by cococandy(f): 5:41pm On Jul 25, 2016
How dare you? You want to emasculate the men. Hmm hmm?
Stillfire:

Thank you dear.
Nevertheless, if I lived in Nigeria, I would have considered it a much greater risk marrying early without a career or source of income or finishing school.
Feminists have laid down the ground work for women to be protected in the West. They can afford to have this discussion.
I consider early marriage to a Nigerian male especially living in Nigeria very high risk. grin He is protected by society to do as he pleases. Even if he gets punishment for a wrong doing, it is a pat on his back compared to the female. The position of the female in that marriage is determined by the whims of the man. A self sufficient female can afford to leave when he starts manifesting. grin
The marriage institution in Nigeria is not protected. Factors like brideprice in some ethnic groups already sets the tone for the position of the female in the marriage.
Before talking about early marriage, are Nigerian women protected in marriage per se? I think our discussion should be about institutionalizing policies to protect the female in marriage first. This would give her the opportunity to have an array of choices like her Western counterparts on whether she wants to marry early or not.

Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by crackhaus: 11:12pm On Jul 25, 2016
shaybebaby:

Oga, you are once again assuming that word "motherhood" or even the circumstances of how one got to be there is the same for everyone. Not to mention, what the experiences are once one is in it.

I cannot give you a "yes" or "no" answer without divulging more than I want to in order to provide context.
But I can say, overall it has been interesting, enriching, frustrating, exhausting, overwhelming, surprising, funny, unpredictable, tears-inducing, painful, wondrous and fraught with revelations about life and myself. A roller coaster of emotions.

I get the roller coaster of emotions summary.

Thanks for the response...or not. grin

1 Like

Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by crackhaus: 11:21pm On Jul 25, 2016
shaybebaby:

I hope you do not consider me a feminist tongue or even the pseudo-feminists you allude to. I know next to nothing about feminism and even some of the people such as mindfulness that you have referred to on here as feminists whose opinions are largely in line with mine do not resonate with me as such. If we were to look for label for our sort of ideology, the word would be "Humanist".
https://humanism.org.uk/humanism/
Got it.

Humanism or egalitarianism - these are better and much more honourable ideologies to support when one isn't trying to be all about self...if you get what I mean.

5 Likes

Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Nobody: 9:02am On Jul 28, 2016
crackhaus:

Blehhhhhhh...

You that cant answer simple question about how big and round your yansh is, in-tune with her sexuality? grin

Tell me the truth, you don't feel very beautiful...do you? cheesy tongue

I feel very old and ugly. tongue
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 28, 2016
There are no rules to these things,it would simply depend on the station in life a lady finds herself. Everyone's life story won't be the same. We can only hope for the best as God has the best plans for us.
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by crackhaus: 3:22pm On Jul 28, 2016
Mindfulness:

I feel very old and ugly. tongue
Lol..
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Nobody: 5:23am On Jul 29, 2016
Freecocoa why are you following me upandan. Stop stalking me. Abi na you dey nightwatch duty for area today? angry
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by freecocoa(f): 5:30am On Jul 29, 2016
Timbuktou:
Freecocoa why are you following me upandan. Stop stalking me. Abi na you dey nightwatch duty for area oday? angry
Lol.

I wan know who dey lurk by this time na, so no blame me, I been think say na thief.tongue
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Nobody: 5:31am On Jul 29, 2016
freecocoa:
Lol.

I wan know who dey lurk by this time na, so no blame me, I been think say na thief.tongue

Dem done miss road. Who put you for watch duty? I go kidnap you. grin
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by freecocoa(f): 5:35am On Jul 29, 2016
Timbuktou:

Dem done miss road. Who put you for watch duty? I go kidnap you. grin
if I hear say you fit, hmm, you don't know me o. lipsrsealed
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Nobody: 5:40am On Jul 29, 2016
freecocoa:
if I hear say you fit, hmm, you don't know me o. lipsrsealed

I pity you. Na touch and follow tins. Nobody has been touched that didn't follow. Effective juju since 1836. As a yoruba boy, I know the correct ones to apply.
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by freecocoa(f): 5:45am On Jul 29, 2016
Timbuktou:

I pity you. Na touch and follow tins. Nobody has been touched that didn't follow. Effective juju since 1836. As a yoruba boy, I know the correct ones to apply.
If only juju works on me, not to even mention the fact that as an igbo girl, amadioha is steady on my case, no just try me.
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Nobody: 5:50am On Jul 29, 2016
freecocoa:
If only juju works on me, not to even mention the fact that as an igbo girl, amadioha is steady on my case, no just try me.

Multitudes before you said the very same thing. Today, they are beneficiaries of my "largess". Besides, I've got Sango Olukoso to back me up. I fight thunder with thunder. wink
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 29, 2016
Timbuktou:

Bruv wire me some of dat juju abeg. I don tire to dey chyke. But some of these babes eh, their head strong.
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 29, 2016
BoboYekini:
Bruv wire me some of dat juju abeg. I don tire to dey chyke. But some of these babes eh, their head strong.

No wahala. Just wire some dough to my paypal and I'll hook you up with Baba Familusi at Ikire. Dem no born any geh well. She go follow you climb mountain if na your wish be dat.. grin
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Nobody: 9:03am On Jul 29, 2016
Timbuktou:

No wahala. Just wire some dough to my paypal and I'll hook you up with Baba Familusi at Ikire. Dem no born any geh well. She go follow you climb mountain if na your wish be dat.. grin
Try am ontop Freecocoa first. Make we see the efficacy cheesy
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 29, 2016
BoboYekini:
Try am ontop Freecocoa first. Make we see the efficacy cheesy

She's in my lungu as we speak. grin. She won't be able to speak for a few hours. wink
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 29, 2016
Timbuktou:

She's in my lungu as we speak. grin. She won't be able to speak for a few hours. wink
grin I believe you bruv. Please be gentle with her.
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 29, 2016
BoboYekini:
grin I believe you bruv. Please be gentle with her.

Aye, aye, cap'n. I'll be gentle. She's proven tender so far.. grin
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by freecocoa(f): 10:34am On Jul 29, 2016
Timbuktou:

Multitudes before you said the very same thing. Today, they are beneficiaries of my "largess". Besides, I've got Sango Olukoso to back me up. I fight thunder with thunder. wink
I recognise empty talk when I see it. Sango got nothing on amadioha.tongue
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 29, 2016
freecocoa:
I recognise empty talk when I see it. Sango got nothing on amadioha.tongue

Amadioha dey drink raw palm oil? angry Don't talk about my uncle anyhow o. grin
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by freecocoa(f): 10:39am On Jul 29, 2016
Timbuktou:

Amadioha dey drink raw palm oil? angry Don't talk about my uncle anyhow o. grin
grin grin grin

Me dey even drink am, talk more of amadioha wey dey chop iron, niccur don't mess with that.

I just dey look you and that yeye BoboYekini, una no know who una jam.angry
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jul 29, 2016
freecocoa:
grin grin grin

Me dey even drink am, talk more of amadioha wey dey chop iron, niccur don't mess with that.

I just dey look you and that yeye BoboYekini, una no know who una jam.angry

See mouth. You were "singing" a different tune just hours ago. I understand you have to project a certain image. It's alright as long as you know who your daddy is wink
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by freecocoa(f): 8:13pm On Jul 29, 2016
Timbuktou:

See mouth. You were "singing" a different tune just hours ago. I understand you have to project a certain image. It's alright as long as you know who your daddy is wink
Make him catch you first.tongue
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by holluphemydavid(m): 9:04pm On Jul 29, 2016
I will come back later and comment
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Marrtynze(m): 9:07pm On Jul 29, 2016
Marriage before Career abeg, b4 u hit menopause because of career and ambition, as if it's Ambition that would give u grandchildren & call u Mummy, shine Ya eye
Re: For Women: Career Before Marriage Or Marriage Before Career? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jul 29, 2016
Each to his own. These are personal decisions. We don't always have to interfere or give advices on issues like this. What works for A might not work for B. It is better one knows what one wants. There is nothing better than " self discovery" in issues as this.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Abandoned Baby - Benkingsley Humanitarian Act( Then And Now ) / Temitope Amodu Gave Birth To Quadruplets, Stranded At National Hospital (photo) / Family Of Four And Above In One Room, How Do You Cope? (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.