Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,601 members, 7,823,611 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

One Of The Few Things I Hate To Hear Nigerian Students Say - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / One Of The Few Things I Hate To Hear Nigerian Students Say (429 Views)

13 Things I Needed To Hear When I Was A Teenager / Five Things I Regret Doing At The University. / I Hate Reading — Oyindamola Badejo, Bells University Best Graduating Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

One Of The Few Things I Hate To Hear Nigerian Students Say by mubarak89(m): 2:36am On Jul 25, 2016

The complains of Nigerian students are endless.

I hear students regularly complain about the failure of Government, the heartlessness of politicians, the bad economy, the archaic educational system, our wicked lecturers, the horrific conditions of hostels and so on.

Among all these uncountable complains by Nigerian students, there's this particular one I hate to hear; I cringe whenever hear students say it.

Here it is: "Even after you graduate you can’t get a job".

I call this annoying complain 'the silly complain of lazy students'.

It is absolutely true that jobs are scarce and getting a job after graduation is becoming increasingly difficult.

So I’m not at all upset with you if you also make 'the silly complain of lazy students'. But, I'm mad at you if you are saying it and doing nothing about it.

Personally, I hate to complain. And that's why I have written this to advice students who have become perpetual complainers.

Complaining is ugly.

In fact, you are not permitted to complain about anything you can control.

You can't just sit around and blame the government or anyone else because there's high rate of unemployment in the country.

You can't sit around wishing your father or uncle were very rich and connected enough to fix you in a job after you graduate.

There are many students reading this right now who are complaining. They complain because it's easy. Finding solution, on the other hand, is hard.

See, I understand that the Nigerian government has failed in its responsibilities especially in the area of job creation. But, are you just going to complain? If yes, then you are a looser.

You've got to work to fix it.

The real problem is that there are thousands of Nigerian undergraduates who are unsure of what they'll do after they graduate and are just spending their time complaining on nairaland and on every other social network.

They jump at every opportunity to 'throw stones' and complain about how students suffer while in school only to graduate and not get a job. They are not actually trying to solve the very thing they’re complaining about.

In today's Nigeria, it surprises me to see that many undergraduates are still ingrained to expect that the government must create jobs for them.

One major reason for this is laziness and the desire for instant gratification on the part of Nigerian youths generally. Students want to graduate and go straight to an office where they can be receiving fat paychecks.

Students have forgotten that patience and hard work is for real. Are you less than one-hundred-and-one percent sure you'll get a job after graduation? We live in a 24-7 world where you can create employment for you and others. Think about it.

If there is one thing I want you to learn from reading this, it’s that saying things like: "Even after you graduate you can't get a job" has zero value.

Culled from: http://graduatewell.com.ng/advice/one-of-the-few-things-i-hate-to-hear-nigerian-students-say

(1) (Reply)

A Hybrid Language Known As Engli-igbo / Buhari Sacks JAMB Registrar & 16 Other Heads Agencies / Nnamdi Azikiwe University Vc Fixes Date For Next Convocation For 2016 Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.